USB Charging?

Guest pdej

Is it possible to charge my mobile or other gadgets using the USB port on the Vega? I do quite a bit of travel and one of the nice things about my netbook is that I don't need to remember all sorts of plugs, just simple cables to charge my HTC/IPOD/Camera etc.

It's not a deal breaker, but would be good if it can do that.

Guest removed-14
Is it possible to charge my mobile or other gadgets using the USB port on the Vega? I do quite a bit of travel and one of the nice things about my netbook is that I don't need to remember all sorts of plugs, just simple cables to charge my HTC/IPOD/Camera etc.

It's not a deal breaker, but would be good if it can do that.

Tried charging my phone yesterday and it didn't work. However a dock is coming with usb ports on that are likely to be used for connecting other devices to. At the moment the usb port is only for connection to a pc.

Guest Advent Vega
Thanks for that. Looks like I'll finally have to fork out for one of those all in one world travel adapters with USB charging.

Hi,

At the moment the USB port is simply to connect to a computer and transfer files.

Charging devices from the USB port or charging the Vega via USB is not currently supported as I believe it requires a H/W change/update.

Regards,

Advent Vega Team

Guest MarkoUK
Hi,

At the moment the USB port is simply to connect to a computer and transfer files.

Charging devices from the USB port or charging the Vega via USB is not currently supported as I believe it requires a H/W change/update.

Regards,

Advent Vega Team

Yeah, I buzzed out the USB port and found that it isn't powered. This means no usb devices at all, memory stick, mice etc etc.

Bit of a bummer but maybe some rooting around inside will throw something up.

Guest emergant
Hi,

Regards,

Advent Vega Team

Please confirm as this is a very big deal for me. Are you saying that the USB port is not actually compatible with USB devices at the hardware level? I can live with it not being to charge the vega but not being powered at all? Not allowing USB sticks etc is something that should be on the spec. What USB standard does the port comply with? I can live with a fixable software problem but not a hardware flaw. Please get back to us ASAP. What about the Dock connector. Is it PDMI will it support full USB spec

Thanks

Mark

Hi,

Regards,

Advent Vega Team

So is that likely to change in a later version, i.e. is it better to wait for a later version of the vega? And if so do you know how long that might be?

Guest removed-14
Hi,

Regards,

Advent Vega Team

What about the dock? I read it would have 3 usb ports; wouldn't these be useless if all they did was to connect to a pc?!

Guest MarkoUK
What about the dock? I read it would have 3 usb ports; wouldn't these be useless if all they did was to connect to a pc?!

Driven through the dock connector which is usb 3.0 compliant.

Guest emergant
Driven through the dock connector which is usb 3.0 compliant.

So have you seen confirmation that the dock connector exposes USB 3.0. Its confirmed as a fully implemented PDMI port? That would be good if true

Please confirm as this is a very big deal for me. Are you saying that the USB port is not actually compatible with USB devices at the hardware level? I can live with it not being to charge the vega but not being powered at all? Not allowing USB sticks etc is something that should be on the spec. What USB standard does the port comply with? I can live with a fixable software problem but not a hardware flaw. Please get back to us ASAP. What about the Dock connector. Is it PDMI will it support full USB spec

Thanks

Mark

No, he's (I'm assuming AdventVega is a he - apologies if not :P) saying that the USB port on the Vega is for transferring data to/from a PC so it uses the same interface as a memory stick would - i.e. a USB slave.

Having it configured as a host would mean potential problems as when you connected it to a PC (which are USB hosts) you'd have two things trying to supply power down the same line and any voltage difference could potentially cause safety issues...

Edit: actually, what you want is a USB On-The-Go port: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go Perhaps one to look into for a mark 2....

Edited by arad85