Bought a Vega? Or thinking about it?

Guest removed-14

Guest removed-14

The Vega is a great device in my opinion, but out of the box it is VERY limited. Paul has improved it no end with his hard work. But this still hasn't been enough for some people. I'd like to find out what the general consensus is. Please vote in the poll and feel free to add any further thoughts you might have.

Edited by removed-14

Guest rferrett

I have the MoDaCo customer ROM and for me it is a great device for the price. I agree that the viewing angles are far from perfect, but for me they are good enough so it is not a deal breaker. Also I reckon there is a fair likelihood that Vega will deffo be able to support Gingerbread and quite possibly honeycomb when it comes out.

At the very least it will tide me over until the Notion Ink Adam comes out.

Ralph

Tonyyeb, I don’t know what you think but it may be worth adding an additional option because me personally would say that it’s ok (certainly not great) and this is only due to Pauls efforts with the Mod which I can guarantee would have gone back to PCworld otherwise. That’s maybe another idea to include "who would have returned them if it was not for the Mod"

Well just some food thought anyway

Guest removed-14

I hear what you are saying but if I didn't think it was great i'd take mine back. I could change it to 'and i'm happy with it'. As for your other suggestion I don't want too many options... still tempted to add it though!! lol

I really want an Advent Vega now for to web browsing and games. Did see it in stock yesterday in that 6 minute time frame but just missed out when about to enter card details. But I'd personally like to see more accessories like a flip case stand like the iPad one and more cheaper third party screen protectors because the one PC World has is £12.99 which at that price it cant be justified - but with no other option for now that's the one am thinking of ordering when I eventually get the chance to order the device.

Guest trevor432990

I like my Vega a lot but as others have said without Paul's Mod it would seem rather light on the app side. Have never owned an Android device before so am trying to get up to speed with the terminology used and navigating around the OS. I have an Apple iPhone 2G which I have found invaluable and easy to use but the premium cost they put on the iPad put me off.

In the short time I've had the tablet it has really proved handy to have around the house for casual browsing, getting the latest news, iPlayer programmes, etc. I'm now hoping some apps will appear which will enable me to use the Vega as a universal remote control for my Audio/Visual kit. Tried to install Slingplayer Mobile app last night but that would not even load properly so have got a refund for it already. Ask me again in 6 months I'm sure it will have secured a niche in my daily routine by then.

Guest debs626

I voted Yes, it has a Modaco update and I'm happy with it

But would have voted Yes, it's still stock firmware and I'm happy with it (before i installed pauls roms)

I knew before I purchased the Vega that I was purchasing a tablet running a mobile phone OS and that Android dont support tablets yet. So I was very surprised at just how many apps and games do actually work well on the table ......... even before pauls roms.

Yes, the viewing angles ain't the best but tbh I don't find it a problem at all (maybe I'm not fussy)

I've watched a couple of films, watched programs on iplayer, read nearly half a book and got an extra hour in bed this morning (too cold to get up before the heating came on) catching up on the weekend news/twitter/fb/listening to online radio.

I can do all of the above on my phone too but a hell of alot more comfortably on the Vega :P

Edited by debs626

Guest lisaberry

This is top of my Christmas list - well I'm getting vouchers from everyone so fingers crossed pc world have stock by boxing day.

I love my iPhone 4 but the lack of flash drives me up the wall - there was no way I was going to shell out over £400 on the iPad when it doesn't support so many sites.

I'm really looking forward to getting Market on it (despite never touching an android device before) but actually doing the mod is already worrying me. I'm not a techie at all and don't know anyone who is (I'm the gadget girl of the family)

My only concern is I'll buy the Vega and then within a couple of months millions of perhaps better alternatives will flood the Market. That being said, as far as I can see, the Vega will do all I want a tablet to do.

Hurry up Santa!!!

Guest Chaz_UK

I originally had my heart set on the Vega but I wanted a device I could pop a simcard into and use on the go so I opted for the Galaxy Tab.

I've loved reading all the progress made so far with the Vega stil!

Guest Dentist Jed

The Vega is nice out of the box, but the Modaco rom makes it very very nice. Money well spent, if I could prise it out of my 4 year old daughters hands......

Guest chizhuk

Got both the Vega and the A101. Both are Xmas presents (to myself and to my daughter) but I've obviously had to try them out after delivery.

First impressions are quite good for both units. I've actually used the Archos more thatn the Vega so cannot really compare them like for like but I have to say the Archos looks better and the Vega feels speedier.

Both have stock firmware and that's the way I'll keep them until I've read more on what's involved and the advantages of custom rom.

Guest removed-14
Got both the Vega and the A101. Both are Xmas presents (to myself and to my daughter) but I've obviously had to try them out after delivery.

First impressions are quite good for both units. I've actually used the Archos more thatn the Vega so cannot really compare them like for like but I have to say the Archos looks better and the Vega feels speedier.

Both have stock firmware and that's the way I'll keep them until I've read more on what's involved and the advantages of custom rom.

It would be great to hear your views on both devices when you've had a bit of time with both. Although I would say the Vega really needs the Modaco add-on before being compared as the OS/Bundled software lets it down.

Guest mclanecxantia

hi, if you have the archos 101. can you try the chess benchmark ?

we have a benchmark value for the vega and it would be nice to relate the value

to the speed of the archos CPU.

here is the download link for the benchmark chess program:

http://web.comhem.se/petero2home/droidfish/index.html

rename the file from *.apk.bin into *.apk

copy it on the SD card or memory of the device.

run a browser (such as astro) for android and click on the file to install it in the android

device.

go into settings, game mode and switch to analysis.

go back to chessboard and wait 2' until you write down the value behind the nps:

for the following devices we have collected the following benchmark results for cpu power:

droidfish aka stockfish on:

Palm Pre 500mhz (Webos1.4.5): ~8.000 NPS

APAD Rockchip 600mhz (android1.5): ~10.000 NPS

Palm Pre oc. 800mhz (Webos1.4.5): ~13.000 NPS

ZT-180 10,2" Pad : ~15.345 NPS

Palm Pre oc. 1Ghz (Webos1.4.5): ~16.000 NPS

Iphone4 1 Ghz: ~75.000 NPS

HTC HD2 with 1Ghz (android2.2): ~100.000 NPS

Samsung Galaxy Tab ~108,500 NPS

Advent vega tegra2 1Ghz (android2.2): ~131.700 NPS

Laptop T7600 2.2Ghz 1 core, windows: 1.000.000 NPS

thanks.

NPS means Nodes Per Second and shows how man Positions the chess

program evaluates in the memory per second. The higher

this value is, the stronger the chess program should play.

a human beeing maybe computes 1-2 NPS.

Edited by mclanecxantia

Guest andrewg12345

RE nodes per second NPS

Does this increase with the software upgrade?

ie what is the stock rom value and various modified rom values (particualy performance pack)?

thanks

Edited by andrewg12345

Guest dukla2000
I knew before I purchased the Vega that I was purchasing a tablet running a mobile phone OS and that Android dont support tablets yet.
I want one - been browsing tablets ever since my mate started showing off his iPad 6 months ago. Have no need for one - gave up travelling a few years ago and can do everything I want to on my PC, so the main purchase driver is geek value rather than necessity. Which also makes it hard to justify the £££ for Apple or Samsung.

Was initially sorely tempted by the £125/£150 10" jobs, but was wary of 256Mb memory and then became even more wary about their Android 2.1 and resistive screen limitations. The Vega seems a good compromise, apart from the fact it is essentially not available. (Hell I was at Twickenham on Saturday when the 3rd batch of 10 went on sale and was far to busy enjoying the rugby to get involved in a lottery to try get one!) For sure I don't expect it to be an iPad beater, on the one hand Google's pathetic development of Android guarantees it is crippled for the foreseeable future (I mean jeez - when I was in software we normally blagged "it is fixed in the next revision": with Android the promise is Honeycomb and project management with published functionality and schedules seems to have been ditched with no substitute - what planet are those arrogant prats on?), on the other it costs half the price. My contingency plan is if Android disappoints and I actually get hooked on the mobile experience I am in with a shot of getting Ubuntu on it.

Guest chizhuk

@tonyyeb and mclanecxantia

Will do. Have to be secretive as little'un doesn't know and I'm trying to keep it a surprise so I only get an hour or so to play each night.

The only advantage of the Archos over the Vega I would comment on is the usb port. The Archos allows access/install direct from my 4Gb Freecom Usb stick whereas the Vega doesn't recognise its plugged in. Archos is on 2.1 and the Vega came with 2.2 .

Will do some comparisons overnight

Guest removed-14
Just found this new review, done today.

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2010/11/29/advent-vega-review/

Not a bad review. Fairly well balanced, good comparison to the main competitors and just a few points that I found not quite accurate (Angry Birds quite clearly does work and has worked on every firmware I've tried). But any potential owner would get a good idea of what to expect from this review.

Want one but missed three times now. pcworld refunded me only hours before Saturday's batch came on-line! If I can't get one in the next two weeks I'll probably leave it to see what's around in March/April... but not via Dixons, too much wasted time already :P

Guest firedup

Sad to announce I have taken mine back for a refund.

I still think its good value and has massive potential, mainly due to Paul's ROM add ons.

For me though, the keyboard and unexplained lagging of the device on occasion was enough to annoy me. A new launcher helped to a certain degree, but coupled with poor viewing angles and battery life I had had enough. I'm also starting to question the 10" form factor for me, having had an iPad, Viewsonic 100 and Vega in the last few months they're just too big for video / reading. Yes they are better for work / productivity but then I may as well use my netbook / laptop.

Now.do I get a tab? Still think they're over-priced!

Guest chizhuk
@tonyyeb and mclanecxantia

Will do. Have to be secretive as little'un doesn't know and I'm trying to keep it a surprise so I only get an hour or so to play each night.

The only advantage of the Archos over the Vega I would comment on is the usb port. The Archos allows access/install direct from my 4Gb Freecom Usb stick whereas the Vega doesn't recognise its plugged in. Archos is on 2.1 and the Vega came with 2.2 .

Will do some comparisons overnight

OK. The scores are in.

I've put the Avent 1.04 update on and also the r3 Paul posted. (came back with error after permissions but still rebooted to the new system)

The Vega ran in at a fairly steady ~138000 and peaked at ~209000 when in computer vs computer mode

The stock A101 running fw1.0.84 "Android 2.1 update1" came back scoring ~78300, so is a bit slower but TBH it's not that noticeable.

I did notice that the Vega didn't run Droidfish as big as the Archos did. The Archos displayed the chessboard full-width in portrait mode whereas the Vega displayed it centrally on the screen leaving 1" either side.

Angry Birds 1.4.2 installed on both and plays OK.

The issue between USB connections is my fault. I assumed that the Vega would have a usb host on and it's not it's just a connection port to the PC. All drivers installed first time though as did the Transfer Companion.

My first impressions are still that the Vega is the faster of the 2 but the Archos looks and feels better and I find it easier to work with. So far, I have to say I'm pleased with both units - but for different reasons. The Vega is obviously the more powerful and already hacked which makes it the attractive proposition it is to 'play' with but the build, presentation and overall 'feel' of the Archos makes it just that bit better for me for the moment.

Fortunately, come Xmas morning I'll be playing with both anyway so I'll have to go and get something else for my daughter to play with.

Guest removed-14
I did notice that the Vega didn't run Droidfish as big as the Archos did. The Archos displayed the chessboard full-width in portrait mode whereas the Vega displayed it centrally on the screen leaving 1" either side.

This is because the Vega has a widescreen res as opposed to the Archos. That test isn't graphics limited, it is planning the moves ahead that is what is being tested.

Guest mclanecxantia
OK. The scores are in.

I've put the Avent 1.04 update on and also the r3 Paul posted. (came back with error after permissions but still rebooted to the new system)

The Vega ran in at a fairly steady ~138000 and peaked at ~209000 when in computer vs computer mode

The stock A101 running fw1.0.84 "Android 2.1 update1" came back scoring ~78300, so is a bit slower but TBH it's not that noticeable.

many thanks !!