Dropbox question

Guest BiggerH

Guest BiggerH

with dropbox on my PC it downloads files to the harddrive

But with the android version it seems to just place the file up there to access remotely ( soI can access it by streaming) but I can also option to download to the vega's sd card,which takes a while

Is there any way I can get the dropboxed file to download automatically to the Vega (want to set up sickbeard so that my files are ready to access when I get up in the morning)

Thanks

Guest MarkoUK
with dropbox on my PC it downloads files to the harddrive

But with the android version it seems to just place the file up there to access remotely ( soI can access it by streaming) but I can also option to download to the vega's sd card,which takes a while

Is there any way I can get the dropboxed file to download automatically to the Vega (want to set up sickbeard so that my files are ready to access when I get up in the morning)

Thanks

You basically want a synced folder. You can't do that with the app. Its only a remote access client. Maybe future updates will allow this.

Guest trevor432990

I just set-up Dropbox on my PC and on the Vega and when I drag files to the box on either device it sends it to the other automatically isn't that what you wanted? You just need to remember to press 'refresh' button on each device to see the new files have arrived

Guest trevor432990

Well I added a photo held on my PC to the Dropbox folder on the device yesterday and my Vega was turned on alongside it with Wi-fi on and when I did a refresh within the Vega based Dropbox the photo was already there but I'm not sure if it was the refresh that pulled it from the net or if it had been pushed to me in the background already. In iFilemanager it shows the dropbox folder but no contents which is rather odd so I can't check myself to see if the files appear before refresh is initiated. Any ideas peeps?

Guest MonkeyBoy451
Well I added a photo held on my PC to the Dropbox folder on the device yesterday and my Vega was turned on alongside it with Wi-fi on and when I did a refresh within the Vega based Dropbox the photo was already there but I'm not sure if it was the refresh that pulled it from the net or if it had been pushed to me in the background already. In iFilemanager it shows the dropbox folder but no contents which is rather odd so I can't check myself to see if the files appear before refresh is initiated. Any ideas peeps?

if you long press on the file in dropbox - you get the option to download it to the local device!!

Also ensure on the PC you have "Enable LAN sync" ticked so that it'll sync from the PC to Vega over your local network/wi-fi instead of downloading the file from the cloud.

Guest BiggerH

I've got ' Enable LAN sync' ticked on the PC, but I still need to 'download' from the Dropbox screen on the Vega to get the physical file in the Vega's dropbox folder.

takes about 7 mins for a 20 min video file to d/l to the Vega (streaming the file from the non-downloaded file via Dropbox gives a pause every few mins). Will set up Sugar Sync tonight to see if it will automatically sync to the Vega

Guest MonkeyBoy451
I've got ' Enable LAN sync' ticked on the PC, but I still need to 'download' from the Dropbox screen on the Vega to get the physical file in the Vega's dropbox folder.

takes about 7 mins for a 20 min video file to d/l to the Vega (streaming the file from the non-downloaded file via Dropbox gives a pause every few mins). Will set up Sugar Sync tonight to see if it will automatically sync to the Vega

out of curiosity - how long does the same file take if you use FTP?

Guest trevor432990

Just read this breaking news about a new app called DoubleTwist Air Sync which may be exactly what we need if Dropbox doesn't deliver the functionality required. Check this article out for more info http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2010/12/01/do...s-to-the-punch/

Update:- Checked further and it appears this app is for syncing iTunes folders wirelessly so presumably cannot be used for files in other folders. Be interested to know if it does work in other folder from someone who has used it?

Edited by trevor432990

Guest BiggerH

ah - that's my other thread I started today - can't get the ftp to work (I assume ftp would be much quicker than Dropbox)

Guest burden010
ah - that's my other thread I started today - can't get the ftp to work (I assume ftp would be much quicker than Dropbox)

It probably would because with Dropbox you are uploading the file to an internet server and then downloading it again. FTP will transfer the file directly. I use an FTP server on my NAS (you'll find loads of free ones for Windows or Mac) and the client I use on my Android Desire is AndFTP. It works really well.

Guest MonkeyBoy451
It probably would because with Dropbox you are uploading the file to an internet server and then downloading it again. FTP will transfer the file directly. I use an FTP server on my NAS (you'll find loads of free ones for Windows or Mac) and the client I use on my Android Desire is AndFTP. It works really well.

FYI on dropbox - if you enable LAN Sync on the PC thats the "home" machine - it'll sync locally pc to tablet/phone/ipad/ipod.

Guest trevor432990
FYI on dropbox - if you enable LAN Sync on the PC thats the "home" machine - it'll sync locally pc to tablet/phone/ipad/ipod.

Yes it's a lot faster that way but I've sent the Dropbox support team a question on whether an option exists to stop internet uploads completely as I'd rather not send personal files beyond my LAN if I can help it.

Update:- Dropbox support team have replied saying there is no way of stopping the transmission of files to their cloud based server and suggesting there are other alternative apps available which will do that. So the hunt continues :P

Edited by trevor432990

Guest burden010

OK sounds good. I'm just trying to get my head round how the tablet/phone would know. Does it have the LAN Sync option also?

Guest BiggerH

I've enabled th LAN sync, but you still need to manually download to file from the Dropbox app to save it to your Vega (as far as I can tell)

Guest MonkeyBoy451
I've enabled th LAN sync, but you still need to manually download to file from the Dropbox app to save it to your Vega (as far as I can tell)

Yep, thats how it is at the moment, until they (Dropbox) give us some more client options.

Guest burden010

Maybe you could script something with an app like Tasker? I don't know tbh, I'm just throwing words out there without knowing if it even makes sense. :P

Guest BiggerH

finally got FTP working yesterday - same file takes about 2-3 mins via FTP

tried SugarSync, but like Dropbox, files aren't automatically downloaded to the SD card (couldn't find any settings to change this)

For me, I guess FTP is the way to go