24/Jan 2.5.1.8: ClockworkMod for the Advent Vega

Guest PaulOBrien

screencapvegarecovery.png

Alrighty peoples, how would you like ClockworkMod recovery for the Advent Vega?

It's here! This is currently in TEST, use with caution etc. etc. :P This recovery is built by me and in no way endorsed or supported by Koush.

Download

The download is in two parts - firstly the recovery image itself and the flash utility, and secondly an APK you install on your device which allows you to reboot into recovery mode (conventional recovery reboot methods don't work, and as yet we haven't found a key combination to allow this!)

• Recovery image and flash utility - DOWNLOAD - MD5: cb488ab0edcea4c53ee5e6ff954a24bc
  • Reboot utility APK - DOWNLOAD - MD5: b6dbe93af28619bb3caba1c3ba925e5d

Note: The Reboot utility APK is also available on the Android Market - search 'Vega Recovery Boot'.

Installation

To install the recovery image and flash utility, extract the first zip file to a directory, then enter the following (this assumes you have 'adb' on your machine):

adb push recovery.img /data/local/
adb push flash_image /data/local/
adb shell chmod 4755 /data/local/flash_image
adb shell /data/local/flash_image recovery /data/local/recovery.img[/code]

Next, simply install the APK you downloaded above in the usual way (e.g. by copying to your SD card and using the file explorer). If the download appears as anything other than an APK, rename to install.

[b]Source[/b]

Source code for the Vega device profile and the reboot utility are available on my GitHub.

[b]Uninstall[/b]

To uninstall, simply reapply the 1.08 update.

[b]And finally...[/b]

If you would like to show your appreciation for the ROM, please [b]consider supporting MoDaCo[/b] by signing up for a MoDaCo Ad Free or MoDaCo Plus account, both of which also give you early access to Beta releases and access to the the online kitchens.

P

Guest TylerDurdenK

"Extract the zip to a directory"

Which directory, where? then do I have to change the code to reflect where I extracted it to? I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I have forgotten how to do this kind of thing.

Guest SilentMobius

Which directory, where? then do I have to change the code to reflect where I extracted it to? I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question, but I have forgotten how to do this kind of thing.

Extract it anywhere you like. The when you start a command prompt you need to "cd XXXX" where XXXX is the directory that now contains the file recovery.img

Extract to a directory on your pc. Goto a command prompt, change to this directory and then run the commands. You don't need to change '/data/local/' as this is the file structure on the vega.

Edited by rimoth

Guest Pyr0x64

hmmm,

i pushed the files to /data/local

chmod'd flash_image

ran the final flash command: adb shell /data/local/flash_image recovery recovery.img

and got the message: error opening recovery.img

i can definitely see the recovery.img in /data/local

and the md5 hash matched the archive *shrug*

Edited by Pyr0x64

Guest JingleManSweep
hmmm,

i pushed the files to /data/local

chmod'd flash_image

ran the final flash command: adb shell /data/local/flash_image recovery recovery.img

and got the message: error opening recovery.img

i can definitely see the recovery.img in /data/local

and the md5 hash matched the archive *shrug*

Yeh, I did a...

adb shell /data/local/flash_image recovery /data/local/recovery.img

... which should flash the "recovery.img" you pushed to "/data/local" in the previous steps. However, when I use the "Recovery" APK app, it does reboot but back to the normal Android OS and not the recovery. I even tried an "adb reboot recovery", but this doesn't work either.

Edited by JingleManSweep

Guest Pyr0x64
Yeh, I did a...

... which should flash the "recovery.img" you pushed to "/data/local" in the previous steps. However, when I use the "Recovery" APK app, it does reboot but back to the normal Android OS and not the recovery. I even tried an "adb reboot recovery", but this doesn't work either.

Ah, that makes sense.

Thanks for the tip, recovery flashed :P

I also have the same problem now though, the Recovery app just reboots my device instead of rebooting and loading ClockworkMod Recovery.

Guest TylerDurdenK
In due course this should be available in ROM Manager. If you're not confident using command prompt, i'd advise holding fire (shouldn't be too long)...

P

Nice one, think I'll wait for this.

Yeh, I did a...

Huh, that's odd... i'll investigate...

P

Slightly updated instructions!

adb push recovery.img /data/local/

adb push flash_image /data/local/

adb shell chmod 4755 /data/local/flash_image

P

Paul if i wanted to flash from terminal from the vega with better terminal how would i type the comands for flashing the recovery and the flash utility.with placing both files pn the sd card is that possible?

Guest Pyr0x64

Was the recovery image updated as well?

I assume not as it says "header is the same, not flashing recovery" when I try to flash it

Still not booting into ClockworkMod here.

I've checked in Settings>Applications and it says Vega Recovery Boot is version r2

Edited by Pyr0x64