Where to buy your Vega!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Funar
ADVENT Vega now £199.99 at dixons (non flash version) just ordered one :D

Yep, same here. That's the magic price I have been waiting for. The higher end devices are changing far too rapidly to jump in at this time. The Vega is perfect now to do me until the dust settles.

Guest ace_dynamo

Just thought i'd mention that the Vega i bought in PC World on Monday comes with firmware 1.10(not 1.09?) and seems to run angry birds absolutely fine, my first android device so still getting used to the system though.

I know it would've been cheaper to buy from Dixons online but I just couldn't fight the feeling that maybe there might be an improvement in the newer hardware, s'pose i'll never know for sure but I'm happy :D .

Looks like Dixons is up to £230. Still a link for £199 on their front page, but clicking it says the product is unavailable.

I was going to buy one for £199 .Is the £230 still a good buy ? (I'm new to this and only decided to get a Vega recently).

Thanks

Yep, same here. That's the magic price I have been waiting for. The higher end devices are changing far too rapidly to jump in at this time. The Vega is perfect now to do me until the dust settles.

My sentiments exactly. What makes it worse is that the current crop are almost as much as an ipad2, but as thick and heavy as an ipad. The only one I would consider paying £350-£400 for owuld be the Samsung 10.1 tab (thin version).

Guest Funar
I was going to buy one for £199 .Is the £230 still a good buy ? (I'm new to this and only decided to get a Vega recently).

Yeah mate, I'm just a noob myself this week but this tab is excellent value at the full price of £250. The 8% discount you are getting at that price is just a bonus. Not so much with the standard firmware, but definitely with the MoDaCo ROM. I should have listened to my mates and bought this ages ago. The manufacturer has been very generous indeed with processor, memory, screen and I/O connections and it looks to have a very robust bootloader.

Although to keep this on topic, I would go to my local Currys or PC World and buy it over the counter for £230 rather than mail order from Dixons. Links are in the original post.

Edited by Funar

Guest phil8715
Yeah mate, I'm just a noob myself this week but this tab is excellent value at the full price of £250. The 8% discount you are getting at that price is just a bonus. Not so much with the standard firmware, but definitely with the MoDaCo ROM. I should have listened to my mates and bought this ages ago. The manufacturer has been very generous indeed with processor, memory, screen and I/O connections and it looks to have a very robust bootloader.

Although to keep this on topic, I would go to my local Currys or PC World and buy it over the counter for £230 rather than mail order from Dixons. Links are in the original post.

Apple have started doing refurbished iPads for £280 which are the 16gb wifi only model. Which was tempting, but as I couldn't really afford an iPad I settled for the Vega.

If I would have had to pay £250 for the Vega I probably wouldn't have bothered. It would have paid the extra £40 and bought an iPad. But as I managed to get the Vega for £199.99 which by the look of it, that offered has finished looks like they've run out of the none flash flavour.

My Brother got an ipad2 on a 24month contract for £27pm and paid £199 upfront.

Apple have started doing refurbished iPads for £280 which are the 16gb wifi only model. Which was tempting, but as I couldn't really afford an iPad I settled for the Vega.

If I would have had to pay £250 for the Vega I probably wouldn't have bothered. It would have paid the extra £40 and bought an iPad. But as I managed to get the Vega for £199.99 which by the look of it, that offered has finished looks like they've run out of the none flash flavour.

My Brother got an ipad2 on a 24month contract for £27pm and paid £199 upfront.

I went on Dixons site a couple of hours ago and got one for £199. Then straight away it's showing as not available again.I'll let you know if I receive it.

Edited by KevR

Guest ace_dynamo

I paid the £250 (as previously mentioned) this week but even then I'm happy (though I'm popping back to PC World for their price promise if Currys instore are cheaper).

Just plugged in an old 3g Vodafone dongle I had lying around the house, only one adjustment required in settings and it works like a charm, so a 3g tablet (the Voda dongle is PAYG with never expiring credit) makes it even better value for money!

Can anyone point me in the right direction.I want to get my new Vega updated ,what do I need to install to get the best performance ?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by KevR

Guest MrBod

I managed to get one of the £199 Vegas :) But then the touch screen stopped working :)

Now it has to go back and I have had to spend the extra £30 to get a replacement.

As soon as I got the first one, the screen would randomly stop responding for a while, then start working again. After a few hours play, it stopped responding altogether apart from a thin strip of about 1" on the edge next to the camera. Reflashed back to the stock firmware, but still no action.

So far the second one is working fine, so fingers crossed.

Guest geoyakult

received mine last friday from Dixons... immediate noticed that the box was a bit crushed and along too edges the box has been ripped although a clear plastic 'seal' was still on the box.

inside the tablet looked fine, apart from a small faint mark on the back. Also, the plastic wrapping was quite loosely wrapped to the tablet.

did anybody else experience this?

I gave Dixons a call and asked whether what i received was new or refurbished ... and then confirmed its new but could have been one of the last items on their shelf. Subsequently non are now in stock, so they couldn't replace it. Instead i was offered a £10 voucher (should be in the post) as a good will gesture.

Anybody else think that these reduced items are refurbs or returns from early adoptors from last year?

Guest mikeyboy1903

Bought one from Dixons .. Guess what powered on ... only had 18% of Battery .... Tried to use the screen ... Nothing happened !! Confirmed my fears what I looked at the Vega for marking and found a couple...

£199 = Refurb'd

Went out and bought one from PCworld, Chance'd it with the manager saying I could get it online for £199 and he gave me a manager's discount ! RRP : £230

Hope this helps guys

Guest phil8715
Got one for £230 in PCW in Worcester today, first impressions are much better than the Chinese Apad A8 I had earlier this year.

Mine arrived last Friday. The box was fine and more importantly so was the Vega.

To the poster who bought his Vega for £199 only to take it back because of a screen fault, and was told he would have had to pay an extra £30, I would have demanded a straight replacement or a full refund.

Guest MrBod
Mine arrived last Friday. The box was fine and more importantly so was the Vega.

To the poster who bought his Vega for £199 only to take it back because of a screen fault, and was told he would have had to pay an extra £30, I would have demanded a straight replacement or a full refund.

Sorry, I did not explain very well. I wanted a replacement, but as the £199 models have a different SKU, they would not replace it with one of the £230 ones. They said that more of the £199 ones might come back into stock, but I did not think that very likely, so asked for the refund instead.

They offered to send out one of the more expensive models for the difference in price, but as I work 5 minutes walk from a retail park with both Currys and PC World, I decided to pick one up from there instead.

Hopefully the courier will be collecting the broken one today for it to be refunded.

Bought one from Dixons .. Guess what powered on ... only had 18% of Battery .... Tried to use the screen ... Nothing happened !! Confirmed my fears what I looked at the Vega for marking and found a couple...

£199 = Refurb'd

Went out and bought one from PCworld, Chance'd it with the manager saying I could get it online for £199 and he gave me a manager's discount ! RRP : £230

Hope this helps guys

Mine was 199 and was most definitely new and unused.

Guest geoyakult
Mine was 199 and was most definitely new and unused.

seems like they've sold some of the returns/refurbished back to a very small amount of people (include myself).

ah well, i got £10 off as goodwill gesture (still waiting for the voucher) so £189 is even cheaper....

Guest jinkyjim

I got the Vega for $199. and it was a new one.

Just noticed i cant see the pound sign, lol

Edit, just found it.

Edited by jinkyjim

Guest larsvd

I can add the following shops:

alza.cz for the czech republic is selling the PoV Mobii Tegra (clone), right now 8000 czk (320 euro) including 8gb microsd

http://www.alza.cz/EN/point-of-view-mobii-...0-1-d219343.htm

ditech.at is selling the same at about the same price in Austria (cant confirm how much memory here though, if any at all)

https://www.ditech.at/gruppe/1131/Tablets_Geraete.html

Furthermore there is a lot of shops in the Netherland that sell the same clone as well, here is a list from a comparison/tech website(price: 289 - 380):

http://tweakers.net/pricewatch/271149/poin...html#tab:prices

Guest BTatHome

I was lucky enough to be at gadget show live over the weekend and curries had a stand there selling them for £179 ... i couldn't resist it :)