USB-host mode enabled boot and system dump

Guest rvdgeer

Paul did state you can do it from clockworkmod if you have that installed !!

surely there is a way u could enable a menu like the one when u hold power button down to have an option to either boot into host or slave mode.

Guest JordanT92
Paul did state you can do it from clockworkmod if you have that installed !!

Sweet, il give it a go, thanks :) Glad to inform you guys, keyboard and mouse both work, you get a small X on the screen with the mouse, not too shabby at all :) and im now charging my phone via my vega. Will keep trying to install R5 + performance pack. I love sounding like I know what I'm doing :(

Sweet, il give it a go, thanks :) Glad to inform you guys, keyboard and mouse both work, you get a small X on the screen with the mouse, not too shabby at all :) and im now charging my phone via my vega. Will keep trying to install R5 + performance pack. I love sounding like I know what I'm doing :(

is this the extracted boot.img and did u repack it into the files cause y not repack it in with pauls performance pack, for the system.img side.

Guest amarko5

thank you very much for the investigation and being the guinea pig , it's appreciated, however i think i will hold out installing until we see if anyone (meaning Paul) can give us a switchable solution. looking more awesome day by day :lol:

Thanks mate your a star.

Come on Paul wake up (lol) I need to bake a new rom

Guest JordanT92
is this the extracted boot.img and did u repack it into the files cause y not repack it in with pauls performance pack, for the system.img side.

I did extract the boot.img, didn't need to repack it, just replaced the kernel in the update with the kernel I extracted etc, was going to merge system.img with the R5 pack, but i'm going to try to do it via ClockworkMod first, if anyone has any ideas on how to do so.. or. maybe I could just install the new update, install the R5 pack, put it into recovery and flash the kernel..?

Guest amarko5
I did extract the boot.img, didn't need to repack it, just replaced the kernel in the update with the kernel I extracted etc, was going to merge system.img with the R5 pack, but i'm going to try to do it via ClockworkMod first, if anyone has any ideas on how to do so.. or. maybe I could just install the new update, install the R5 pack, put it into recovery and flash the kernel..?

look in the pinned section there's a thread on the clockworkmod , hope it helps.

Guest JordanT92
probably easier just to create an update.zip and flash just the kernel.

Tried just flashing the kernel, but it deleted everything else lol, so no system.img on my Vega... great... clockworkmod time.

Tried just flashing the kernel, but it deleted everything else lol, so no system.img on my Vega... great... clockworkmod time.

i never seen that before, i flash just kernel's all the time on nexus and never deletes the system.img side of things.

Guest JordanT92

Okay, seems the easiest thing to do is to use GScript to swap between slave and host.

Attached are the GScript apk, two scripts and the two boot.img's. Works well for me, on the R5+performance mod.

Mouse, keyboard and external usb storage devices work. Hopefully someone can get a 3G dongle to work.

Download

Edited by JordanT92

I miss one day on the forum and all this happens! Thankfully got my Vega now but only due to the courier guy arranging to let me meet him after work. Novice modded using Pauls ROM and now really looking forward to seeing an update to get the usb working.

Thank you Joanneke for letting rvdgeer play! And Jordant92 for guinea pigging it, and I'm preempting a thank you to Paul for adding this to an update?

Edited by pdej

Guest English Haze

The question needs to be asked. Why the hell would the Advent designers remove a useful (saleable) function like this from the software if the hardware is capable? It doesn't make a lot of sense. Unless of course it's a cynical ploy to keep us from using USB devices like a 3G dongle so they can push the 3G version when it arrives next year.

Great work getting it sorted though. Thanks! I think I'll wait until it's packaged cleanly though personally.

Edited by English Haze

Guest removed-14
Great work getting it sorted though. Thanks! I think I'll wait until it's packaged cleanly though personally.

I'm thinking the same. Not usually a day one adopter of things (although got the Vega on day one... big risk for me! But turned out sweet!).

Guest debs626

Thanks to Jordan, rvdgeer and Joanneke - Congratulations too :)

USB-host mode enabled on the Vega is music to my ears this morning ....... you must have nerves of steel Jordan. What a lovely little Vega community we have here.

also Thanks in Advance to Paul for the next rom

The question needs to be asked. Why the hell would the Advent designers remove a useful (saleable) function like this from the software if the hardware is capable?

Perhaps because it's the easiest way of getting content onto the microsd card - it simplifies the user experience of the tablet. Just plug it in and transfer. The ipood doesn't have USB host, so why should the Advent.

Give the guys a break - they spec'd the system for what they thought the market was. Don't forget this is a new area for both Advent and us.

Guest rferrett

Blimey, damn good skills to all involved this is great news. And if we can get USB 3g dongles working then :) !

It really does make you wonder what on earth DSG were thinking. I love the Vega with all the MoDaCo goodness, but it is utterley hamstrung out of the box.

Guest trevor432990
Tell you what in all, that case with the built in usb keyboard that was linked to on the accessories thread suddenly looking pretty good!

Don't do it you'll only end up with something called errrr laptop ! :)

Guest removed-14
Don't do it you'll only end up with something called errrr laptop ! :)

I was thinking the same thing! Not sure i'll use the USB keyboard function much but USB storage will be very handy. I can put lots of movies on my external HD/big USB stick when we go to Canada next year.

Guest trevor432990
I was thinking the same thing! Not sure i'll use the USB keyboard function much but USB storage will be very handy. I can put lots of movies on my external HD/big USB stick when we go to Canada next year.

Much better idea :)