MoDaCo is undergoing planned maintenance. Site functionality may be reduced - follow @modaco or @paulobrien on Twitter for updates.

• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such software
      Nintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)

CUSTOM ROMS

You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not be hosted directly in topic via the MoDaCo attachment system
      ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)
      ROMs must give full credit to the original author
      This decision has been taken in light of the huge amount of interest in this area of device customisation within the community, and member feedback! Please note that custom ROM discussion should be kept in specific device sub-areas, (e.g. Kaiser.MoDaCo.com for Kaiser based devices). ISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact me directly via PM. P
    • Support MoDaCo by signing up to a MoDaCo Silver or Gold membership

To sign up to an annual MoDaCo Silver subscription which will eliminate all ads from the site (as well as giving you access to the MoDaCo Online Kitchens for Android) for only £9.99 using PayPal, Credit or Debit Card, ensure you are logged in to the site, and then click the link below, which will take you directly to the subscription store! You can also sign up to an annual MoDaCo Gold subscription for £29.99, which adds the benefits listed below! PURCHASE A MODACO SUBSCRIPTION - FREE Titanium Backup Mobile for Android worth $5.99! - FREE 1 year PrivateInternetAccess.com worth $39.95! - FREE 1 year LastPass Premium worth $12! - FREE CalcConvert for Pocket PC from Binaryfish worth $17.95! - FREE Calendar Bar for Pocket PC from OmegaOne worth $9.99! - FREE CamerAware for Pocket PC and Smartphone from MoDaCo worth £19.99 / $30! - FREE Chronos for Pocket PC from ActiveKitten worth $14.95! - FREE CodeWallet Pro for Smartphone and Pocket PC from DeveloperOne worth up to $24.95! - FREE Concentrix for Pocket PC from eSoft Interactive worth $9.95! - FREE FlexMail for Pocket PC and Smartphone from WebIS worth up to $59.90! - FREE FTouchSL for Pocket PC from Vekoff s.r.o. worth 10 euro / $12.50! - FREE Jewel Challenge for Pocket PC from eSoft Interactive worth $9.95! - FREE John Cody's Alerts Pro for Smartphone from Omnisoft worth $14.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> Dutch for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> French for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> German for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> Italian for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> Spanish for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> Dutch for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> French for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> German for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> Russian for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> Turkish for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE Note2Self for Pocket PC and Smartphone from WebIS worth up to $19.90! - FREE Opera 8.60 for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Opera Software worth up to $48! - FREE Pocket Informant for Pocket PC and Smartphone from WebIS worth up to $59.90! - FREE Pocket Launcher for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Conduits worth $9.95! - FREE PTab for Pocket PC and Smartphone from z4soft worth up to $60! - FREE Resco Explorer for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Resco worth up to $49.90! - FREE Safemode for Pocket PC from monocube worth $12.95 - FREE SplashPhoto for Pocket PC and Smartphone from SplashData worth up to $59.90! - FREE Sprite Backup for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Sprite Software worth $29.95! - FREE Teksoft Glyphs UI for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Teksoft €9.95! - FREE Teksoft HeadsetRemote for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Teksoft €4.95! - FREE Traffic Jam for Pocket PC from eSoft Interactive worth $9.95! - FREE unlock (1 per year) from imei-check.co.uk - DISCOUNT of 10% at MoDaCo FairDeal - DISCOUNT of 10% at Semsons.com - FORUM - AD FREE SITE - FORUM - custom rank / title - FORUM - double competition entries - FORUM - double post attachment space - FORUM - no search flood control - FORUM - priority event registration - FORUM - triple PM space
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspensions / ban.

08 Aug GRJ22 colour revert: Superboot - rooting the Nexus S

92 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Introducing.... Superboot! :)

Superboot is a boot.img that when flashed, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash the system partition, no need to use ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just flash the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Before download, you need to check your device 'about' screen to determine which superboot version you need.

• Superboot for GRJ22 - Superboot with pre 2.3.3 colour configuration - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 1e988380d12fa3a4cc3e9db975e96b27
  • Superboot for GRJ22 - Superboot - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: a09a4588f3cbce577eba4d8fee318f00
  • Superboot for GRI54 - Superboot - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 2e1c91c8437feb7965de52ecfe8add0b
  • Superboot for GRI40 - Superboot with pre 2.3.3 colour configuration - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 668d8eb2fa2ff6b7f9bd26f1aa4f7923
  • Superboot for GRI40 - Superboot - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 6069ea0f4f04f2d35d4a868b4bb886fd
  • Superboot for GRH78 / GRH78C - Superboot - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: a0c8b769986876bf5cb079b2fd9309ff
  • Superboot for GRH55 - Superboot - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 809a8e41ae8f0bb88b870cf1865aedff

The superboot image is also 'insecure', allowing you to use 'adb remount' as well as having full ADB root access to your device.

How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
- Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume up' button pressed to enter the bootloader
- WINDOWS - double click 'install-superboot-windows.bat'
- MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh' followed by './install-superboot-mac.sh'
- LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-linux.sh' followed by './install-superboot-linux.sh'

Note: If you are using a retail Nexus S, you may need to unlock the bootloader first, using './fastboot-windows oem unlock' (or the appropriate version for your PC). Note that the OEM unlock sequence wipes your device (including the internal SD storage!)

Enjoy! ;)

P

Posted · Report post

Nice work! Does the architecture of the Nexus S make it susceptible to this type of rooting, or is it something that we could see on other handsets?

Posted · Report post

Sweet, Thanks!

Posted · Report post

Good job, Can't wait for MCR R1 for the S

That phone needs some help.

Posted · Report post

I can't seem to download. www.modaco.com appears when I click the download link.

Please help thanks

Posted · Report post

The links use referrer checking - if you use AdBlock or NoScript, try turning them off for this page (or try another browser).

Just verified the link is still working OK here.

P

Posted · Report post

I can't seem to unlock the Bootloader.

I've got all the gubbins installed, ADB is recognising my device as per but when I boot into fastboot mode and enter 'fastboot oem unlock' it just says 'waiting for device' and stays that way.

If I had hair I'd have started tearing it out by now.

Posted · Report post

Added GRH78 version.

tone-fu, sounds like a driver issue, check device manager for a device without drivers?

P

Posted (edited) · Report post

Added GRH78 version.

tone-fu, sounds like a driver issue, check device manager for a device without drivers?

P

Yeah, you're bang on. I can't seem to get the driver to install though, my Windows 7 x64's being a berk!

Just getting the whole 'Android 1.0' with the exclamation point in the device manager, and no amount of pointing it towards the driver is helping.

EDIT

Thanks for the advice. All sorted. I used PDANet to install the driver via this guide and it worked like a charm.

I still don't like Windows 7 x64 though. :)

Edited by tone-fu

Posted · Report post

as far as I understand it... when you flash a custom recovery, then reboot back into the stock rom, the custom recovery is overwritten by the stock recovery

does this also remove the reflash of the stock recovery during every boot?

Introducing.... Superboot! :unsure:

Superboot is a boot.img that when flashed, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash the system partition, no need to use ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just flash the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!

Posted · Report post

ok, so i have download the file specified for my nexus s (GRH78).

now, when i type in the stuff for Terminal, it say it doesnt recognize it.

How do you put the file into a directory? And which one????

Thanks.

georgiabulldogs

Posted · Report post

Oh, and one more question. If you root the Nexus S, will you lose the stock updates?

georgiabulldogs

Oh, and one more question. If you root the Nexus S, will you lose the stock updates?

georgiabulldogs

Hello i just want to know the same thing as the dude i quoted ;)

Cuz i just want to get superuser for some apps i need

Edited by Ultrish

Posted · Report post

$ ./install-superboot-mac.sh 
ERROR: could not get pipe properties
sending 'boot' (3072 KB)... OKAY
writing 'boot'... OKAY
ERROR: could not get pipe properties
rebooting...[/code]

Any ideas?

Sorry if this is a daft question, but what is Superboot compared to Clockworkmod?

Thanks

I see clockworkmod facilitates the flashing of custom ROMs

Edited by Maksymilian

Posted · Report post

Can anybody help?

When connecting Nexus S to the PC via USB it says that

'New hardware found - Nexus S'

It then goes to the 'Install Hardware Wizard' and this is where my problems start.

No matter which option I choose the PC cant seem to find the USB drivers for the Nexus S.

A window pops up telling me that a problem occurred during install and that the device may not work properly.

As a result I cant connect the device via ADB (adb devices) and therefore cant unlock the Bootloader

Your help greatly appreciated.

Can anybody help?

When connecting Nexus S to the PC via USB it says that

'New hardware found - Nexus S'

It then goes to the 'Install Hardware Wizard' and this is where my problems start.

No matter which option I choose the PC cant seem to find the USB drivers for the Nexus S.

A window pops up telling me that a problem occurred during install and that the device may not work properly.

As a result I cant connect the device via ADB (adb devices) and therefore cant unlock the Bootloader

Your help greatly appreciated.

Hey,

try this USB drivers! I got the same problem like you and these drivers helped me out!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15361623/drivers.zip

I have a question, too. How can I undo this rooting (original boot.img)? So that everything is stock again?

Thanks! Regards, stiefa00

Edited by stiefa00

Posted · Report post

Hey,

try this USB drivers! I got the same problem like you and these drivers helped me out!

I have a question, too. How can I undo this rooting (original boot.img)? So that everything is stock again?

Thanks I shall try as soon as I can - Do you know where they come from?

I found this guide to Unrooting the Nexus S here http://theunlockr.com/2011/01/20/how-to-unroot-the-nexus-s/

cheeers

Snap shot of my device manager listing. Dont think it should be like this. I have no Android 1.0 showing

post-58233-1295878855_thumb.jpg

By the way the device is simply plugged in with USB, not mounted and not in Fastboot mode, basically just charging.

Edited by Maksymilian

Posted · Report post

Hey,

Thanks

The drivers worked. You needed to know the the type of OS that your windows pc is running (either 32bit or 64bit) and select the correct driver accordingly

There is a lot more info on the XDA forums under 'unlocking the bootloader' which also helped.

Posted · Report post

will this allow accepting OTA updates (assuming i don't touch the recovery image) ?

Posted · Report post

i always got this massage from IDM when i wan to download the file ---> ( the data transfer has been interrupted and the server does not support '' resume''. can some one help me with this. hope i can find another link.Thanks

Posted · Report post

i always got this massage from IDM when i wan to download the file ---> ( the data transfer has been interrupted and the server does not support '' resume''. can some one help me with this. hope i can find another link.Thanks

people, come on, this is not done one post a week, this is my favourite site, please dont let it die!!!

answer us!!

Posted · Report post

Note: If you are using a retail Nexus S, you may need to unlock the bootloader first, using './fastboot-windows oem unlock' (or the appropriate version for your PC). Note that the OEM unlock sequence wipes your device (including the internal SD storage!)

Hi, i have retail version of nexus s. And i tried 'fastboot-windows oem unlock' but it just says "waiting for device"

How can i do it?

Posted · Report post

Thanks

The drivers worked. You needed to know the the type of OS that your windows pc is running (either 32bit or 64bit) and select the correct driver accordingly

There is a lot more info on the XDA forums under 'unlocking the bootloader' which also helped.

Thanks for the link