16GB SD cards that definitely work

Guest stanno

Guest petpaner
16Gb Sandisk Class 4 from eBay works fine, cost me £18.50 inc. P&P sealed so I know it's genuine. Works great.

I had a 32Gb unbranded from eBay which almost worked, I think the card itself was defect.

Well members have tried different cards and most of them seems to work for one or another. I guess that tells us it´s not the cards! Question is if there is HW or SW issues?

Guest rudyred
Thanks for the reply. I still have the card here thanks and would be happy to try other things but creating all those partitions seems like hard work (even if I downloaded Ubuntu) and maybe too complicated. I wonder if there's an easier solution ?

I just formatted the card with FAT32 on my Windows 7 PC. I also tried formatting on the phone but didn't get anywhere.

I just formatted the card because app2sd needs the ext2 and linux-swap partition. You can use ubuntu-live that works directly from CD/DVD and then use gparted (Sytem - Sytem... - Gparted) it is like using Windows. Or follow the "instructions" of GalacticUncle (Post #15 in this thread)

Good Luck

Guest cecanor
My Play.com 16GB Class 4 seems to work perfectly well.

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/9712...urlrefer=search

Best case speed ratings for different file sizes on my San Fran....

20101221_174618_.JPG

Same one isn't working for me, I replaced my phone two times. First was a TFT, it had restarting and quiting apps problem. Second and third one had been saying "SD Card Unexpectedly Removed, Preparing SD Card". And know both Verbatim 2GB out of box and Play.com 16 GB Class 4 is not working on phone and also a HTC Desire. Same warning: "Removed SD Card". http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=9736 28th comment of the subjectt is mine about this problem. I sent a mail to Orange also. If anybody knows the solve, please let me know. I tried formatting the cards as FAT in my Mac. Please help.

Guest cecanor
My Play.com 16GB Class 4 seems to work perfectly well.

http://www.play.com/Mobiles/Mobile/4-/9712...urlrefer=search

Best case speed ratings for different file sizes on my San Fran....

20101221_174618_.JPG

Same one isn't working for me, I replaced my phone two times. First was a TFT, it had restarting and quiting apps problem. Second and third one had been saying "SD Card Unexpectedly Removed, Preparing SD Card". And know both Verbatim 2GB out of box and Play.com 16 GB Class 4 is not working on phone and also a HTC Desire. Same warning: "Removed SD Card". http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=9736 28th comment of the subjectt is mine about this problem. I sent a mail to Orange also. If anybody knows the solve, please let me know. I tried formatting the cards as FAT in my Mac. Please help.

Guest petpaner
My class 4 Silicon Power 16gb card works fine.

Seems to be the cards speed as for now? I bought an Kingston 16bg class 4 today and it still works perfectly. The other ones i tried seems to be class 6 or higher. So if you got a problem try class 4!

Guest yadayada

Hi,

What is "de facto" maximum size card the zte blade can handle?

In user manual for my phone version (optimus san francisco, portugal), it says 8GB, but from this topic it seams to handle at least 16GB..

Guest Phoenix Silver
Hi,

What is "de facto" maximum size card the zte blade can handle?

In user manual for my phone version (optimus san francisco, portugal), it says 8GB, but from this topic it seams to handle at least 16GB..

32 gigs (one user in this post use one)

Guest oh!dougal
32 gigs (one user in this post use one)

Allegedly!

Plural others have had problems with 32gb.

And 32gb micro-sd cards are not cheap.

Some have even had problems with 16gb, hence this thread ...

Guest netdudeuk
Seems to be the cards speed as for now? I bought an Kingston 16bg class 4 today and it still works perfectly. The other ones i tried seems to be class 6 or higher. So if you got a problem try class 4!

No, some of our cards are class 4 Kingstons and they don't work on several Blades

Allegedly!

Plural others have had problems with 32gb.

And 32gb micro-sd cards are not cheap.

Some have even had problems with 16gb, hence this thread ...

Yes, but since the results seem entirely random, with no obvious common theme, I don't see anything to suggest that 16GB is inherently a problem. All that you can say is that apart form the supplied card, some cards work and some don't. I don't see how you can draw any meaningful conclusions from the data so far. 16GB cards do work. 16GB card don't work. But that also appears true for smaller cards as well. It's not very helpful, is it?

The manual clearly states that the maximum supported card size is 8GB. Orange says it's 32GB. I suggest for those whose card up to 32GB does not work you take it up with Orange. The more they see of the problem the more pressure they will be under to address the problem. Right now I don't suppose anyone is performing any meaningful technical assessment of why some cards work and some don't because there is no central coordinated authority for reporting problems (other than Orange whom I imagine people are not contacting).

For my own part, my 16GB card threw a bit of a hissy fit the first time it was used, but has been rock solid both for file transfers between laptop and phone and for general purpose use (photos, backups, caching, test file transfers) ever since, and that's been around 10 days of faultless operation. I'm using the stock Orange ROM. If those with problems have modified their Blades then I guess they don't have much cause to complain. Go back to stock and then see what happens.

Edited by tdodd

Guest RussellS

I've just got This one from Play.com and the phone will not see it at all.

When inserted it just says "SD card removed. Please insert new one". It cannot be seen in recovery mode either. I've tried formatting the card on the PC and then inserting in the phone but still no good.

However, my wifes HTC Wildfire can see the card fine. I formatted the card again in her phone and then inserted into the SF but still it won't see it.

I will see what it is like when we have the new 2.2 releases after next week and see if that makes any difference. I can't help feeling that this is a software issue rather than a hardware one as other devices that I have had, camera's, phones etc, have been able to see larger SD cards after a software update. As I understand it, as long as the hardware supports the SDHC standard (rather than just SD) then the size limit is governed by the software.

I also think that we should list what firmware we are running to see if there are any combinations that definately work.

I am running "Sebastian404's de-orangeated-rom - r7" ROM

Guest Phoenix Silver
I've just got This one from Play.com and the phone will not see it at all.

When inserted it just says "SD card removed. Please insert new one". It cannot be seen in recovery mode either. I've tried formatting the card on the PC and then inserting in the phone but still no good.

However, my wifes HTC Wildfire can see the card fine. I formatted the card again in her phone and then inserted into the SF but still it won't see it.

I will see what it is like when we have the new 2.2 releases after next week and see if that makes any difference. I can't help feeling that this is a software issue rather than a hardware one as other devices that I have had, camera's, phones etc, have been able to see larger SD cards after a software update. As I understand it, as long as the hardware supports the SDHC standard (rather than just SD) then the size limit is governed by the software.

I also think that we should list what firmware we are running to see if there are any combinations that definately work.

I am running "Sebastian404's de-orangeated-rom - r7" ROM

try to mount / format sd card in clockwork ?

Guest elastico
Can people please post their 16GB SD cards that are fully working with their Blade/OSF, and also where they got them. I'm already having to return the fist one I bought and don't want to have to buy others. I know there have been other threads about SD cards but it would be handy to have a list of ones that definitely work. Much appreciated.

Kingston 16 Gb class 4 (~10 MB/s write speed), FLB-Froyo G2 for ZTE Blade (Beta) version r3, got the SD card from dustinhome.se (swedish retailer)

I should also ad that I tried two 8 GB Sandisk class 4 SD cards, from the same store, that didn't work before the Kingston card

Guest RussellS
try to mount / format sd card in clockwork ?

Tried that. It appears that clockwork can't see the card either. I can't remember the exact error message that it comes up with. When I get some more time I'll try again and post screenshots.

Guest oh!dougal
Tried that. It appears that clockwork can't see the card either. I can't remember the exact error message that it comes up with. When I get some more time I'll try again and post screenshots.

The card not being 'nicely' fitted into the phone would explain *no* software being able to 'see' it there.

Generally, card readers make a scraping ("wiping") contact that clears off any crud, oxide or other coating off the contacts.

The SF card socket (unlike some other phones) does not make a "wiping" contact, and therefore would, I suspect, be more vulnerable to any foreign matter on the card contacts.

A scrap of paper on top of the card would increase the contact pressure ... if you don't fancy cleaning the card contacts ... :unsure:

Edited by oh!dougal

Guest DominicA

My 16gb play card kept having the card removed issue, 100% repeatable when I tried copying over an album of music to the phone or other large file, otherwise it was pretty stable. This to me sugests that the problem could possibly be down to sustained writes or heat with certain cards?

Guest RussellS
The card not being 'nicely' fitted into the phone would explain *no* software being able to 'see' it there.

Generally, card readers make a scraping ("wiping") contact that clears off any crud, oxide or other coating off the contacts.

The SF card socket (unlike some other phones) does not make a "wiping" contact, and therefore would, I suspect, be more vulnerable to any foreign matter on the card contacts.

A scrap of paper on top of the card would increase the contact pressure ... if you don't fancy cleaning the card contacts ... :unsure:

I thought that myself to start with. However, I've cleaned the contacts on the SD card and I have applied additional pressure against the card against the contacts all to no avail.

Guest Shadey1
Is anyone using the 8 gb class 4 Kingston ? Are the problems only with the 16 ?

I've got an 8gig Kingston class 4 and it constantly dismounts, I need to play with it more but i was getting seriously irked by the whole process the other day.