16GB SD cards that definitely work

Guest stanno

Guest netdudeuk

I inserted a second Sandisk 16GB from Play today and that's also good with large volumes of data being copied across with no issues.

My track record then -

Two Kingstons = not working

Two Play Sandisks = working

I inserted a second Sandisk 16GB from Play today and that's also good with large volumes of data being copied across with no issues.

My track record then -

Two Kingstons = not working

Two Play Sandisks = working

Looks like time for folk to talk to Kingston customer service if their vendor won't accept a refund. If Kingston are getting bad reports in a pre-purchase forum like this, they may be interested to investigate the problem before the bad-warning spreads.

there is a list made by testing 44 different SD Cards from 2GB size to 32GB size. I tested 3 zte blades (bought from greece, one with stock rom, the others with custom roms) and 2 zte san fran (one with stocl orange rom, the other with rls8). All the devices have TFT screens, no oled in this test... and suprisingly, the test showed that the sd card compatibility issue has nothing to do with the rom version or the device model itself. If you wanna take a look at it, its over here (scroll down a bit, the results are written in bold).

Most of it is written in greek, but to give you an idea, we took all these cards and copied a large amount of data. Then tried to copy the files back to the PC. There were 2 iso files, one 1,5GB in size (for 2GB sd cards) and one 3GB in size (for the >4GB sd cards)... and after that, we updated the list with users experiences.

Since this list was posted, it served a lot of ppl that didnt know what sd card to buy that whould definitely work, and its now as accurate as it can be. Remember that green=the card works 100%, yellow=the card works with some ppl, but not working in most cases, red=the card is not working in any case.

http://www.myphone.gr/forum/showthread.php...587#post3473587

go and have a look if u dont know which card to buy...

I hope this wont be considered to be advertising, afterall, i'm not related with any e-shop or any company that sells these cards...

Edited by kogos

Guest RussellS

I have one small contradiction with that list and that is the Mymemory.com branded 16gb class 4 card. The list says it is OK but I had one and the phone would not recognise the card.

I have one small contradiction with that list and that is the Mymemory.com branded 16gb class 4 card. The list says it is OK but I had one and the phone would not recognise the card.

Well spotted. I can confirm the MyMemory card doesn't work - that's what started this thread off!

Guest Ralph Martin

Well, I have tried an unclassed 16Gb Kingston card, and a Class 4 16Gb Kingston card, both verified as genuine, neither of which worked.

I got the 16Gb Class 4 from play.com, as recommended here, and I can confirm it works just fine.

Thanks everyone!

Well spotted. I can confirm the MyMemory card doesn't work - that's what started this thread off!

indeed.. it got OK status by mistake... my bad. Will correct this as soon as possible

Edited by kogos

Guest Shadey1

Right I'm taking the plunge on the Play 16gig! Wish I'm kept all the Kingston stuff for the original 8Gig I'm ordered, it'd be going back if I had. Then again for £10 I suspect it wouldn't have been worth my time arguing.

Ofc I'll report back once I've got it, and got it all up and running. Weekend I would guess.

Edited by Shadey1

Guest BunnyPunch

Kingston 8GB Class 4 - not working for me.

I figured it was worth mentioning because it had some "interesting" symptoms.

I'd opted for an 8GB as I knew there were issues with 16GBs and wanted to try dodge them. Silly me. I'd ordered one via fleabay (it is genuine) and wanted to get everything moved over at roughly the same time as moving from r7 to r11 of Pauls 2.2 ROM.

I'm a maniac about backups, so I'd done a complete Titanium, SMS Backup & Restore and Clockwork backup on the original 2GB card, formatted the new one and copied everything across. I then went to do the same on the 8GB (overkill maybe, but I'm glad I did) mounted it in Windows and the Clockwork folder was missing. As were other bits and pieces - XML config backups included. I wasn't getting any mount/unmount errors, so there was nothing obviously wrong and the phone seemed to recognise the card correctly, but backups and other files were not saving onto the card.

I'll be trying my luck with the Play.com Sandisk, and keeping my fingers crossed. I don't really need 16GB worth of storage, but it does seem to be the one that people are having the most luck with.

Kingston 8GB Class 4 - not working for me.

I figured it was worth mentioning because it had some "interesting" symptoms.

I'd opted for an 8GB as I knew there were issues with 16GBs and wanted to try dodge them. Silly me. I'd ordered one via fleabay (it is genuine) and wanted to get everything moved over at roughly the same time as moving from r7 to r11 of Pauls 2.2 ROM.

I'm a maniac about backups, so I'd done a complete Titanium, SMS Backup & Restore and Clockwork backup on the original 2GB card, formatted the new one and copied everything across. I then went to do the same on the 8GB (overkill maybe, but I'm glad I did) mounted it in Windows and the Clockwork folder was missing. As were other bits and pieces - XML config backups included. I wasn't getting any mount/unmount errors, so there was nothing obviously wrong and the phone seemed to recognise the card correctly, but backups and other files were not saving onto the card.

I'll be trying my luck with the Play.com Sandisk, and keeping my fingers crossed. I don't really need 16GB worth of storage, but it does seem to be the one that people are having the most luck with.

Sometimes pre-formatted devices are wrongly partitioned/formatted beyond the end of the device, so it can pay to partition and format yourself. I don't suppose that is your problem but I have seen your symptoms of files "gone" caused by that, so I mention it in case others have this problem. If you do partition you need to make sure that your partition tool knows how to query the device and doesn't just believe the old partition table.

Guest vareBlade
just 1 £ more for the france i think i'll try it

Its class 2 and im pretty sure its a fake sandisk sd card

Edited by vareBlade

Guest cloudysea

as you may have read in a previous post i brought a Kingston 16 Gb class 6 and the music and pics on it worked fine but some of the 250meg video files didnt work properly (it would delete them)

i just got a PNY 16gb class 2 and have put all the same files on and it appears to work fine (some of my large pics take a while to load from the gallery though, 6mg+)

Guest BunnyPunch
Sometimes pre-formatted devices are wrongly partitioned/formatted beyond the end of the device, so it can pay to partition and format yourself. I don't suppose that is your problem but I have seen your symptoms of files "gone" caused by that, so I mention it in case others have this problem. If you do partition you need to make sure that your partition tool knows how to query the device and doesn't just believe the old partition table.

Thanks sam - I did reformat the card when I got it - from an Ubuntu live CD and again using Clockwork, but no dice. Hopefully someone has better luck with the Kingstons than me.

I've now dealt with three OSF's, and I bought a dane-elec 16gb class 4 from 7dayshop on three separate ocassions and each time it has worked a charm. The card is actually class 4 and costs only 15.99 Delivered. My ideal card!

Guest herbieuk

Hi, New to Android, bought two orange zte blades last week for my wife and I from argos. Before doing any research on memory ordered 8GB and 16GB cheapos from ebay. (both Joyflash SDHC class 2)

Ive put the custom jellyfish rls9 rom on mine phone and my wifes remains as the stock Orange.

Both the 8GB and the 16GB work perfectly in my wifes stock Orange.

Neither work in mine and as soon as i try to transfer data to them i get the sd card removed problem. (2GB Verbatim works fine)

Until reading this thread i assumed it was the custom ROM and was going to put the stock orange back on to see if it made a difference but it seems thats unlikely.

Dont want to gain a collection of these things but finger already hovering over the play buy button. (Now ordered a 16gb class 4 Sandisk from play will update when it arrives)

Cheers

Edited by herbieuk

OK just put in my class 4 16GB SanDisk from Play.com, didn't format it or anything just connected to my pc and copied across the backup I'd made of the default 2GB Verbatim.

All seems well, the MD5 hash checks out, music and vids seem to play ok, haven't tried a backup or restore though, my 600MB 'clockworkmod' copied over at 5.3MB/s. I was copying stuff over 1 folder at a time, smallest to largest waiting for it to fail lol.

Fingers crossed I don't have to revisit this thread with news of its failure (I'm a glass is only half full type of guy lol).

Edited by Mike_P

Guest joblade
not a 16gb related post but....i couldn't be bothered to take any chances and wanted something 100% reliable. if you can make do with 8gb, the samsung 'micro sdhc plus' class 6 model (grey card - shock, magnet proof etc) is super solid and fast in this phone. using one in both OLED and TFT variants.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Micro-Spee...0122&sr=1-6

Thanks! I got this one today following your recommendation and it didn't work at first, but then did work through Clockwork, have managed to restore apps etc. so fingers crossed all is good!

Guest Ydnaroo

Hi

Another success with a Play.com SanDisk 16gb Class 4 card here. ;)

Samsung Plus 8gb Class 6 also working fine. ;)

TFT San Fran running FLB-Froyo G2 r6.

Cheers - Y

Edited by Ydnaroo

Guest Shadey1

Add me as another happy play customer, after the crap from the 8gb Kingston this one seems like heaven, only been one evening but so far it's perfect. No glitches since I jsut copied everything over.