HELP - Streak won't start!!

Guest T_r_i_s

Guest T_r_i_s

I was using the Streak in the car the other day. The car charger I was using was a cheapo one from Ebay (it has been fine for the last few months).

As I was driving along a message flashed up saying something along the lines of 'Either the battery or the charger is invalid/faulty, charging disabled' and then as the message said, it stopped charging. The car charger itself has stopped working so that must be the cause of the problem (note to self - don't buy cheap shjt from Ebay).

Anyway I switched the Streak off to save power (was then at 54% charge) and when I came to switch it back on again a bit later it just showed a 0% sign with an exlamation mark.

Now I cannot switch it on at all, not even getting the 0% thing any more - either when plugged into mains or a PC. If I connect it to a PC, I can however boot into fastboot mode, just not into recovery nor normal boot.

So has my battery been fried? Can you start the Streak without a battery? Or is there some something else stopping me starting my Streak. Is there some sort of protective circuitry that has been tripped? Like I said it was at 54% when it was switched off, so I was surprised that it said 0% when I tried to switch it on.

I will give obviously give Dell a call, just wondered if there was anything I could try first?

The only other thread about a similar issue that I could find was this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=796528

I was using the Streak in the car the other day. The car charger I was using was a cheapo one from Ebay (it has been fine for the last few months).

As I was driving along a message flashed up saying something along the lines of 'Either the battery or the charger is invalid/faulty, charging disabled' and then as the message said, it stopped charging. The car charger itself has stopped working so that must be the cause of the problem (note to self - don't buy cheap shjt from Ebay).

Anyway I switched the Streak off to save power (was then at 54% charge) and when I came to switch it back on again a bit later it just showed a 0% sign with an exlamation mark.

Now I cannot switch it on at all, not even getting the 0% thing any more - either when plugged into mains or a PC. If I connect it to a PC, I can however boot into fastboot mode, just not into recovery nor normal boot.

So has my battery been fried? Can you start the Streak without a battery? Or is there some something else stopping me starting my Streak. Is there some sort of protective circuitry that has been tripped? Like I said it was at 54% when it was switched off, so I was surprised that it said 0% when I tried to switch it on.

I will give obviously give Dell a call, just wondered if there was anything I could try first?

The only other thread about a similar issue that I could find was this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=796528

Flash 309 Recovery then then 318 update that shpould sort you out

Guest T_r_i_s
you can connect the streak to the usb and turn it on without the battery, if you're wondering.

I don't seem able to do that - either via PC or mains. It does nothing, not even flashing the lights...

Guest T_r_i_s

I seem to have got a bit further using the engineering modes:

If you go into fastboot and type *#301# you get this screen:

post-719248-1293560433_thumb.jpg

If you choose option 09 'USB/AC Charger' you get this screen: (for some reason charging is still disabled and initially the voltage test was set to FAIL but I managed to change it to PASS somehow)

post-719248-1293560727_thumb.jpg

So the other engineering mode from fastboot is *#7589, this gives you these options:

post-719248-1293560881_thumb.jpg

If you choose charger you get these options (if you press the camera button on 'enable charging' nothing happens):

post-719248-1293561000_thumb.jpg

In the battery section you get these options:

post-719248-1293561069_thumb.jpg

And now I am back to this familiar screen when booting:

post-719248-1293561151_thumb.jpg

So I just need to figure out how to activate these functions in this engineering mode...

Guest T_r_i_s

Wow - I think I've fixed it!!! :( ;) ;)

In fastboot mode I went into the MMI-BB option - this runs through all the hardware diagnostic tests. I went through the whole lot and after that the phone has booted up into Android and is now charging the battery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Result

Hope this helps someone else in the future....

Wow - I think I've fixed it!!! ;) ;) ;)

In fastboot mode I went into the MMI-BB option - this runs through all the hardware diagnostic tests. I went through the whole lot and after that the phone has booted up into Android and is now charging the battery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Result

wow - props for figuring that out. May definitely be helpful to others. Congrats :(

Guest whitewheelr6

I ran in to the same problem and this def helped me out. Thank you. My phone was dead in the morning for some reason and when I plugged it into both the wall and the usb, it wouldnt charge and so the phone would not boot. I was able to get in to fastboot mode when I was plugged in to the wall but when I did the MMI-BB or whatever that choice is, it would tell me the battery was too low to run the test, but when I did the *#301# and choose the ac/charger option which I believe was option 09, I brought me to the screen showing the battery status. As you can see in the pictures from the OP, it shows highlighted in yellow that the phone is charging and also shows the %. I waited for the % to get to 5% and then pulled the battery, got out of fastboot mode, and then started the phone back up as usual. When it booted as normal, the charger started working again.

Guest T_r_i_s
I ran in to the same problem and this def helped me out. Thank you. My phone was dead in the morning for some reason and when I plugged it into both the wall and the usb, it wouldnt charge and so the phone would not boot. I was able to get in to fastboot mode when I was plugged in to the wall but when I did the MMI-BB or whatever that choice is, it would tell me the battery was too low to run the test, but when I did the *#301# and choose the ac/charger option which I believe was option 09, I brought me to the screen showing the battery status. As you can see in the pictures from the OP, it shows highlighted in yellow that the phone is charging and also shows the %. I waited for the % to get to 5% and then pulled the battery, got out of fastboot mode, and then started the phone back up as usual. When it booted as normal, the charger started working again.

Cool - glad it helped you out!!

Guest brokenpixel
Cool - glad it helped you out!!

Wow cant believe u fixed yours mine is still borked. I did mmi test but still nothing. I do use 2 batteries and a desktop charger, got used to it.

is there anything else you have done?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest PECHU77

HI

I HAVE THE EXACT PROBLEM (MY STREAK HAS NO 1 DAY IN USE ;) ), NO SAFE MODE, NO RECOVERY MODE, ONLY FASTBOOT MODE, I TRY WITH THE MMI-BB TEST AND AT THE END THE SCREEN GOES WHITE AND DO NOTHING.

ON THE OPTION 09 (USB/AC CHARGER) THE VALUES ARE OUT OF RANGE, FOR EXAMPLE:

BATTERY-VOLTSGE = 4360 mV

CHARGE STATE: 43690 %

TEMPERATURE: 4095.85°C

AND NO CHARGER DETECTED MESSAGE

WHAT THIS MEANS? THE BATTERY IS FRIED OR MAYBE A HARDWARE PROBLEM.

WHAT ELSE CAN I ;) DO? THANKS

Edited by PECHU77

Guest foxhoundep3
Wow - I think I've fixed it!!! ;) ;) :D

wow, u never gave up and got it fixed, awesome... now u gotta help others :D

Guest T_r_i_s
Wow cant believe u fixed yours mine is still borked. I did mmi test but still nothing. I do use 2 batteries and a desktop charger, got used to it.

is there anything else you have done?

Sorry - just seen your reply. Have you tried the engineering stuff in post #6? what does the battery or charger status say?

Guest T_r_i_s
HI

I HAVE THE EXACT PROBLEM (MY STREAK HAS NO 1 DAY IN USE ;) ), NO SAFE MODE, NO RECOVERY MODE, ONLY FASTBOOT MODE, I TRY WITH THE MMI-BB TEST AND AT THE END THE SCREEN GOES WHITE AND DO NOTHING.

ON THE OPTION 09 (USB/AC CHARGER) THE VALUES ARE OUT OF RANGE, FOR EXAMPLE:

BATTERY-VOLTSGE = 4360 mV

CHARGE STATE: 43690 %

TEMPERATURE: 4095.85°C

AND NO CHARGER DETECTED MESSAGE

WHAT THIS MEANS? THE BATTERY IS FRIED OR MAYBE A HARDWARE PROBLEM.

WHAT ELSE CAN I ;) DO? THANKS

it sounds like your charger is not working. my problem was with my battery . it always said my charger was ok. can you get hold of another charger to try?

Guest PECHU77
it sounds like your charger is not working. my problem was with my battery . it always said my charger was ok. can you get hold of another charger to try?

I have 2 chargers, and this values are given, with the battery installed and the charger connected, with only the charger and no battery, and with only battery and no charger connected, all the last options was tested to connected to a PC by USB cable.

@T_r_i_s

Kudos for an outstanding post. Totally impressive!

Recently I bought a Dell USB Power Adapter Kit of USB Power Charger and Cable on eBay for £25.

Then I got error messages similar to you, namely:-

"Battery Charging is Disabled. The Connected Charger is Invalid"

also

"Please check your charger immediately. Your charger may be broken."

These messages never appear when the original Dell charger and cable that came with the device is used. So I experimented with the four combinations and find that both the cable and USB power charger are faulty.

This is very unusual, the items are definitely Dell, could a factory somewhere be selling Dell’s rejects I wonder.

The Seller is fine about it and suggests that I return for replacement. My concern is that the next batch will be faulty too. Let’s see.

I live in fear of plugging in non-approved charging devices and causing harm to my Streak but here I am having serious issues with Dell accessories. So I guess the moral is not to knock yourself out over buying a non-Dell item, clearly even Dell makes rubbish too.

Guest brokenpixel
Sorry - just seen your reply. Have you tried the engineering stuff in post #6? what does the battery or charger status say?

Hey T_r_i_s no probs I myself sometimes don't see replies. My streak reports no charger detected, I kept playing a little bit with it to see if I could go back to 0% battery juice to see if I could kick start the charging again but that didn't help. The pics you posted in MMI 09 option gives me NO CHARGER DETECTED while yours is detected, I've plugged the original, a Kodak one 700ma did a sony too nothing worked, even got a slacker dock just to try, as no one in my country has a streak that I know off.

Even looking on the internet no one seems to have fixed this issue without taking it back. My streak is a beta unit so not an option for me.

Guest T_r_i_s
Recently I bought a Dell USB Power Adapter Kit of USB Power Charger and Cable on eBay for £25.

Then I got error messages similar to you, namely:-

"Battery Charging is Disabled. The Connected Charger is Invalid"

also

"Please check your charger immediately. Your charger may be broken."

Wow - yeah those must have been the messages I got. Because I was on the motorway at the time, I couldn't make an exact note of them.

My problem was that my faulty cheapo non-branded car charger stopped battery charging completely so that when I got home and plugged it into the mains with the orig cable/Dell power adaptor, it still wouldn't charge. I guess you were lucky that you were still able to charge the Streak!

I was thinking of buying a proper Dell car charger after my experiences, thanks for letting us know that even the 'Dell' ones can have the same issue (having second thoughts now). Would be interesting to find out if they were rejects/fakes?

Guest T_r_i_s
Hey T_r_i_s no probs I myself sometimes don't see replies. My streak reports no charger detected, I kept playing a little bit with it to see if I could go back to 0% battery juice to see if I could kick start the charging again but that didn't help. The pics you posted in MMI 09 option gives me NO CHARGER DETECTED while yours is detected, I've plugged the original, a Kodak one 700ma did a sony too nothing worked, even got a slacker dock just to try, as no one in my country has a streak that I know off.

Even looking on the internet no one seems to have fixed this issue without taking it back. My streak is a beta unit so not an option for me.

It sounds like you and PECHU77 have the same issue? Do either of you have a multimeter to check whether there is a charge/current coming from the lead?

@T_r_i_s

I was thinking of buying a proper Dell car charger after my experiences, thanks for letting us know that even the 'Dell' ones can have the same issue (having second thoughts now). Would be interesting to find out if they were rejects/fakes?

Yes it would be interesting. The seller has said "I am very sorry to hear this. I have sold 100's of these and never had any complaints.

Please send the item back to us."

This is now its way to them so lets see if the replacements are any better. As for fakes, well I cannot make out any difference between them and the Dell originals that came with the Streak. So possible quality control rejects may be an explanation.

Sometimes Dell direct does a reasonable deal on the Car Docking Kit (Cradle, Dash Mount, Adapter, 30pin/USB Cable)

I bought one for £34 incl delivery. Bearing in mind that the cable is £26.39 incl. that could make the full kit a bit of a bargain

Edited by rebski

• 2 weeks later...
Guest defcon666

I did exactly what he did and my streak boot up again. but for some reason the landscape and portrait mode didnt work properly.

So I tried the engineer mode. and it works just fine now.

• 1 month later...
Guest Teedoe3

Someone please help me! I've tried all of your methods and my Streak still won't power on. What else could I try? Dell won't help me because I bought my Streak off of someone and I can't verify where they got it from so I'm pretty much stuck. :D

Guest T_r_i_s
Someone please help me! I've tried all of your methods and my Streak still won't power on. What else could I try? Dell won't help me because I bought my Streak off of someone and I can't verify where they got it from so I'm pretty much stuck. :D

What is (or not) displayed when you try to power it on?