OSF v HTC Wildfire Question.

Guest Ibcus

This may be a litte out of sorts here but the wildfire thread doesn't seem as popular as here, plus I want advice on where I stand.

I bought my son a HTC Wildfire for Christmas, he said my OSF was gay and he didn't want one (he's only 14, bless).

After updating his wildfire to android 2.2 it's still slow as fck compared to my San Fran, angry birds amongst other things run like crap on his.

He is annoying me more and more about how slow his phone is.

I'm asking two thing really.

1: Can the wildfire run as quick as my OSF.

and if not:

2: I bought the phone on Tues 22nd Dec from phones4u. Am I within my rights to ask for my money back, or can they tell me to feck off.

This may be a litte out of sorts here but the wildfire thread doesn't seem as popular as here, plus I want advice on where I stand.

I bought my son a HTC Wildfire for Christmas, he said my OSF was gay and he didn't want one (he's only 14, bless).

After updating his wildfire to android 2.2 it's still slow as fck compared to my San Fran, angry birds amongst other things run like crap on his.

and if not:

2: I bought the phone on Tues 22nd Dec from phones4u. Am I within my rights to ask for my money back, or can they tell me to feck off.

try rooting the wildfire and flash a custom rom without sense

sense ui makes phones really slow

or you can try overclocking the phone's cpu

To be honest I'm sure it wasn't a brand thing, he just thought the OSF looked a bit naff, as it does.

My main concern now is getting my money back from phones4u for the Wildfire.

I really wish I had seen a wildfire working in the shop, I wouldn't have bought it.

The screen is a totaly differnt class on the OSF.

Guest jurrasstoil
To be honest I'm sure it wasn't a brand thing, he just thought the OSF looked a bit naff, as it does.

My main concern now is getting my money back from phones4u for the Wildfire.

I really wish I had seen a wildfire working in the shop, I wouldn't have bought it.

The screen is a totaly differnt class on the OSF.

5 times the pixels is quite a difference :(

Guest Thermostat9

Ibcus, I'm not sure what the problem is here. Did your son ask for a Wildfire or did you choose it?

If you got him a gift he didn't like then you can see if you can take it back to the shop (good luck with that, I guess it will depend on the retailer - I don't think you have much in the way of rights to return it) but if he wanted the Wildfire because he thought yours was 'gay' then I'd be inclined to let him keep it. Let him learn the value of something is not always related to its appearance or what his contemporaries think about it and that doing some research and having patience are as important qualities as immediate gratification.

Personally I looked at the Wildfire a few months back and decided that it was not quite there yet. i suspect the San Francisco, while pretty damn good currently, will be the benchmark that other manufacturers will have to aim their budget phones at now. Expect much the same from all the other manu's but with 'better' cameras, a regular supply of OLED screens, bigger batteries and so on in six months time. And by this time next year the San Francisco will probably look terribly dated.

Edited by Thermostat9

Guest RussellS

My wife has the Wildfire and while I wouldn't swap it for my San Francisco, there are a lot of things I like about her Wildfire. However, you are right, it is no good for games like Angry Birds etc. I believe it is due to the Wildfire not having a dedicated GPU or something. The user interface, though, seems slick and doesn't seem to stutter or lag when moving around the home screens, it only appears to be games that are effected.

Also, the build quality is definitely better on the Wildfire. Everytime I remove the back cover on my SF I'm afraid it won't clip back on properly because it feels so flimsy and the clips are not very substantial.

However, as said, at that price point I would still go for the SF.

and if not:

under distance selling regulations if you bought it online you can get it refunded. if you bought it from the store then they will check the phone and if faulty replace it with a like for like or send it to get repaired.

Guest Gohst_oc

A friend switched from the crappy Wildfire to the OSF.

He's absoluteley lucky with the OSF.

The screen is a small leap for mankind but a giant leap for your son. :(

And damn I don't like sense, launcher pro or others are better.

BTW, some tips for the Wildfire:

- Is it running with the newest firmware?

- Did you try to check with a taskmanager how many apps are running?

- Install launcher pro

Guest daniel_owen_uk

Most shops that sell phones offer a 14 day returns policy, just take it back and say it's not fit for purpose.

The missus has a wildfire and she loves hers, that said she came from a k850i so the whole smartphone thing is new to her. That and her usage is pretty much limited to facebook :(

Would I swap it for my OLED SF? Not in a million years.

and if not:

Depends if it's on PAYG or contract.

http://support.phones4u.co.uk/pe/elementDi...mentID=10100262

Guest Matty-p

and if not:

[/quote) theres no way i would swap my oled sf for the wildfire vbut you should be able to return if try selling it you can get a sf for less than 100 someo e will buy it for that if not ill buy it off you for the price of a sf

Guest Azurren

Honestly you would be fighting an uphill battle to squeeze just a few more FPS out of the Wildfire.. Just don't bother :(

What have you got to loose by attempting to get a refund? Just choose your words well "Its not fit for purpose" etc. and chances are you'll do just fine

Never thought my SF was gay but tbh at that age everything is gay! If he's worried about it not looking great then tell him not to, people mistake my SF for every phone under the sun ;)

Guest nvidiax

I used to have the Wildfire and it was as slow as hell!

Also it doesn't have a gpu so no chance of playing any games.

So I went on ebay sold it for £200 and bought the SF for half that!

The OLED screen is amazing, I would never go back to the Wildfire.

I'm not saying it's a bad phone, but in comparison to the SF it's terrible :(

If you can't return it sell it on ebay, I only lost £3 (ebay fees)

Never thought my SF was gay but tbh at that age everything is gay! If he's worried about it not looking great then tell him not to, people mistake my SF for every phone under the sun :(

I don't know, have you not seen the new promo images?

rqz7NN.png

Edited by Rem1x

Guest Chrisund123

I got the missus an OSF for xmas, and I have a Wildfire. I do envy the vastly superior screen and faster hardware, but the camera on the OSF is appalling and the build quality is no better. Coupled with a few annoying niggles the OSF has with the wifi and other aspects of it, I'll be sticking to the WF for the foreseeable future... Might try rooting it and overclocking it to address the balance a bit haha!

The camera and better build quality are the only things the wildfire have on the blade, and neither interest me so I'll stick with the blade rather than downgrade to a wildfire.

Of course the blade is gay - it's San Francisco!

Guest Azurren
Doesnt wildfire have cyanogen mod? they are bringing out a new version with a better screen at CES, after that would be a very decent phone.

Not going to help everyone who has already got one.. Plus all the roms would have to allow for the additional rez and just further fragment the Wildfire scene

Guest The-One
Doesnt wildfire have cyanogen mod? they are bringing out a new version with a better screen at CES, after that would be a very decent phone.

If its just the screen they are upgrading its still a crappy phone with a crappy cpu.

Tbh i cant see why anyone would buy such a bad device, its just an HTC Tatoo with a bigger screen and an equaly bad res.

Edited by The-One