• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.

Linux?

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,

Is there any any of hacking Linux onto the Desire Z? I really want a qwerty slider and its between the N900 and the Desire Z. The only thing going for the Z against the N900 IMO is the vastly superior screen, but if i could get a linux build on the Z I'd be happy with that over the N900.

Cheers,

Jimi

Posted

Hi,

Is there any any of hacking Linux onto the Desire Z? I really want a qwerty slider and its between the N900 and the Desire Z. The only thing going for the Z against the N900 IMO is the vastly superior screen, but if i could get a linux build on the Z I'd be happy with that over the N900.

Cheers,

Jimi

Remember Linux is a kernel, Desire Z is already running linux..

Posted

Yes, I'm aware of this... but don't sell android as a full linux experience!

I was asking (perhaps not explicitly enough) if anyone has a desire Z that runs a native linux environment ie not running the java based android 'layer'. It's not important now as I've gone for the N900, but I'd be interested to hear anyones experience with getting linux (for want of a better term) onto a desire Z.

Jimi

Posted

Yes, I'm aware of this... but don't sell android as a full linux experience!

I was asking (perhaps not explicitly enough) if anyone has a desire Z that runs a native linux environment ie not running the java based android 'layer'. It's not important now as I've gone for the N900, but I'd be interested to hear anyones experience with getting linux (for want of a better term) onto a desire Z.

Jimi

I'm sure I could, if I had root, via a chroot.

G1 users could do it.

I did it once on my Pulse.

I'm sure we can here.

Posted

Hi,

I used to use N900 for almost a year before switching to DesireZ recently and that "Linux-factor" of N900 is the greatest miss for me after switch. The core difference is that N900 is in fact a miniature Linux box with pretty much full-blown Debian-based distro inside (with root access and all cli goodies almost out-of-the-box), while Android is slimmed down Linux kernel with Java-based application layer on top. For hardcore Linux geeks who want desktop grade Linux experience in their phone and love tinker around, N900 is still the best choice on the market, I reckon. I am not that geeky apparently, howere I miss N900's X-Term a lot...