Linux?

Guest JimiB

Hi,

Is there any any of hacking Linux onto the Desire Z? I really want a qwerty slider and its between the N900 and the Desire Z. The only thing going for the Z against the N900 IMO is the vastly superior screen, but if i could get a linux build on the Z I'd be happy with that over the N900.

Cheers,

Jimi

Hi,

Is there any any of hacking Linux onto the Desire Z? I really want a qwerty slider and its between the N900 and the Desire Z. The only thing going for the Z against the N900 IMO is the vastly superior screen, but if i could get a linux build on the Z I'd be happy with that over the N900.

Cheers,

Jimi

Remember Linux is a kernel, Desire Z is already running linux..

Yes, I'm aware of this... but don't sell android as a full linux experience!

I was asking (perhaps not explicitly enough) if anyone has a desire Z that runs a native linux environment ie not running the java based android 'layer'. It's not important now as I've gone for the N900, but I'd be interested to hear anyones experience with getting linux (for want of a better term) onto a desire Z.

Jimi

Guest DanWilson
Yes, I'm aware of this... but don't sell android as a full linux experience!

I was asking (perhaps not explicitly enough) if anyone has a desire Z that runs a native linux environment ie not running the java based android 'layer'. It's not important now as I've gone for the N900, but I'd be interested to hear anyones experience with getting linux (for want of a better term) onto a desire Z.

Jimi

I'm sure I could, if I had root, via a chroot.

G1 users could do it.

I did it once on my Pulse.

I'm sure we can here.

Hi,

I used to use N900 for almost a year before switching to DesireZ recently and that "Linux-factor" of N900 is the greatest miss for me after switch. The core difference is that N900 is in fact a miniature Linux box with pretty much full-blown Debian-based distro inside (with root access and all cli goodies almost out-of-the-box), while Android is slimmed down Linux kernel with Java-based application layer on top. For hardcore Linux geeks who want desktop grade Linux experience in their phone and love tinker around, N900 is still the best choice on the market, I reckon. I am not that geeky apparently, howere I miss N900's X-Term a lot...