01/Feb r3: USB Mode (host / slave switcher)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest swarrans

Yes you will get a nice new icon (when you format your usb stick to FAT32!).

I'm on r4 and it works fine - BUT I'm not sure if you get SuperUser functionality when you haven't done it via the Kitchen (ie paid!). It might be a good time to show your appreciation to Paul?....

Guest bwtabby
I cannot get this to work. It installs alright but when I run it it just says switching mode it will reboot but it just hangs there. I had the gscript and I uninstalled that reboot then installed this and reboot but still the same. What can it be?

First post here, hangs because no root SU in ROM upgrade. Solution I found was to install a root app Vissionary (search topic under root ) and gain permanent root.

Vissionary takes under a min to work reboots when sucessful, set USB to debugging first.

Guest worto03
Yes you will get a nice new icon (when you format your usb stick to FAT32!).

I'm on r4 and it works fine - BUT I'm not sure if you get SuperUser functionality when you haven't done it via the Kitchen (ie paid!). It might be a good time to show your appreciation to Paul?....

Thanks - didn't realise it wouldn't support NTFS - I'll have to reformat it.

I plan to go ad free in Jan.

Edited by worto03

Guest trevor432990
I can add an 'unmount' option to my USB Mode app. I could also make a more intuitive symlink, e.g. make /usb/ point to the USB mount point.

P

Thanks for this facility Paul. Adding unmount would be great and whilst you are doing that can you possibly investigate including some kind of display flag which will indicate the current mode of the USB as I always forget and have to stick a mouse in to see if the Vega responds or not. :unsure:

Guest Bazabaza

is anyone getting problems with usb keyboards? when I press a key i get the character repeated to the end of the line. If I press backspace these are removed. then nothing works? The keyboard works automatically on my X5A?

Guest fudgeboy

Any idea what happens if I forget it's in host mode, and plug it into my PC to try to use ADB? Each device will be trying to power the other one... is that likely to blow a fuse somewhere? I'd hope there are diodes and current limiters in place to stop that from happening, but it's hard to be sure.

Guest YorkieUK

Has anyone come up with a solution as to why this app just hangs when you try to enable it?

I never received any prompt from superuser and the program itself has no "add application" option.

I tried re-flashing R6 ROM twice and it still doesn't fix the problem.

Did Paul disable it for non paying site users?

:unsure:

Edited by YorkieUK

Guest YorkieUK

Thanks for the reply Percy but that didn't help.

I am not sure about SU, it doesn't appear to do anything. It never gives a prompt for any programs I install and with no manual add option I dont see how I can change the settings for the USB switch.

Grrrr !

• 2 weeks later...
Guest zzleezz

Last annoying bug on Vega for me is the host mode making my Vega crawl to almost a complete stop. Works perfect when switching back to slave.

Not a consistent fault, sometimes host will work OK but once it goes into standby and wakes up again it glitches out again. Noticed some others having same problem.

Guest thinksmart99

Hi all,

Just tried usb host mode for the first time, everythings works just fine but the landscape/portrait lock doesn't seem to work properly in that mode the screen always wants to jump back to protrait, even when keeping the screen steady.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Guest thedicemaster

if you have the lock on while booting, yes it will remain stuck in portrait.

just turn the lock off, make sure you are in landscape, and put the lock back on.

whenever you turn the tablet off it defaults back to landscape.

Guest tjz1100

Well, first post in here so hi everyone and go us Vega users.

By and large i'm pleased as a happy thing with the Vega and the mods, Paul is some kind of hero in here.

Everything from the mod box works for me except the USB switch. I've installed it from the pack and individually and it makes no difference, it just sits there telling me it will reboot soon.

Help?

Guest jfchispa

Hello, my name is Juan Francisco, I need help for my Advent Vega, USB mode does not work, do not restart as expected, you can help me?

Thank you very much and best regards

Guest tjz1100
Could try clearing out Superuser Permissions data;

This is just any options you have set within the app and whether or not particular apps are always allowed or blocked — you won’t lose any of your other data, and it’s easy to allow/deny stuff again.

To clear the data:

1. Press the Home button.

2. Press the Menu button.

3. Select Settings > Applications > Manage applications.

4. Find Superuser Permissions on the list. Tap it.

5. Tap “Clear data” and “Clear cache” if they’re enabled.

If all else fails, try turning on USB Debugging. To do that:

1. Press the Home button.

2. Press the Menu button.

3. Select Settings > Applications > Development.

4. Make sure that USB Debugging is checked. If not, check it.

Let us know how you get on.

Sorry Percy, neither of these made a difference.

Getting fed up with this now!

Guest worto03
I have the same prob.It just says it will reboot, but nothing happens.

me too - I posted this in another thread but it's probably more apt here :-

Same here - mine worked fine on 1.04 and r4 with the app loaded separately but as soon as I upgraded to 1.06.5 and then r6 it's not worked since. My mate in the office had 1.06.5 installed from new (so we added the r6 from here) and we've never got the switcher app to work on that?

I was just going to wait until the next release and hope it's fixed as quite a few people seem to be having the same problem.

Guest QuazyXD

Hey there first time posting but having had problems with this too I thought Id tell you how I got it to work hope it helps. Firstly having installed the stock r6 vega mod I attempted to run usb host switch with no luck just did the switching screen for ages. To be sure it wasn't the app I installed it again via apk http://www.mediafire.com/?uphmqbdqxd3l59r , still nothing. I later discovered that i needed to fiddle with the root (still not sure exactly what that's about) but I downloaded VISIONary http://android.modaco.com/content/software...one-click-root/ and installed that. Having tried to temproot the device several times (usb debugging must be on for this) without any effect and with the usb switching still not working I went in to settings applications manage and cleared the data for the super user program. After that I tried temproot again then tried usb host switching and it prompted me to allow super user access I allowed it and the device restarted in usb mode. BTW I am running v1.08 and have had no problems with any of the r6 mod other than when i stupidly pulled a usb stick out without unmounting it causing my vega to restart and making me think id broken it for a second but force closing the ifile app before removing avoids the restart as someone mentions before in this thread. Sorry for the long winded explanation I just thought I shouldn't leave anything out.

Thanks Paul an awesome mod that makes the vega much better (especially for those who want to fiddle with it)

Guest tjz1100

I think it's clear by now that there is a problem with the USB switching mod on some installations. I've tried both ways, Paul's mod and the Gscript one and neither of them work. i'm not dumb, i can follow instructions and so, I'm sure, can most of the other people who can't get it to work.

Something is preventing this from working on all devices.

Guest carl rose
I think it's clear by now that there is a problem with the USB switching mod on some installations. I've tried both ways, Paul's mod and the Gscript one and neither of them work. i'm not dumb, i can follow instructions and so, I'm sure, can most of the other people who can't get it to work.

Something is preventing this from working on all devices.

I can now confirm that it does work! I'm estatic! I had given up after 1.8 but read the latest instructions by quaxyxd and it does work! Well happy, now my vega is complete thanks to you. Thanks buddy! I was using z4root but since you managed to do it with visionary I unrooted with z4root and installed visionary and rooted with it. Rebooted and when it came back on tried it again and to my amazement it worked! Today I installed cwm for the first time and now got usb host to work with 1.8. Shame my psu stopped charging. I will buy a spare to see me through until the replacement is here.

Guest zzleezz

Hope that you are aware that using the USB mode switching program reverts the kernel back to an earlier version. This program effectively flashes a kernel with host enabled and when you switch back to slave flashes another version with slave enabled (1.06 I think). It doesn't revert your kernel back to what it was.

Pretty sure Paul mentioned he was going to look into updating this soon.

Guest carl rose
Hope that you are aware that using the USB mode switching program reverts the kernel back to an earlier version. This program effectively flashes a kernel with host enabled and when you switch back to slave flashes another version with slave enabled (1.06 I think). It doesn't revert your kernel back to what it was.

Pretty sure Paul mentioned he was going to look into updating this soon.

I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for letting me know. I have just noticed that my kernel is 1.6 instead of the R2 I had in. Also noticed another thing, the usb device does not show in ifile. Even if I go the mnt/usb/system_usb or something like that, still does not show. I'm gonna put the r" kernel back in as the battery was lasting considerably longer.

Thanks for letting me know.