01/Feb r3: USB Mode (host / slave switcher)

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest tjz1100
I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for letting me know. I have just noticed that my kernel is 1.6 instead of the R2 I had in. Also noticed another thing, the usb device does not show in ifile. Even if I go the mnt/usb/system_usb or something like that, still does not show. I'm gonna put the r" kernel back in as the battery was lasting considerably longer.

Thanks for letting me know.

So it still doesn't work then?

Guest carl rose
So it still doesn't work then?

Nope, it is not stuck, it gets granted permissions and it reboots and it goes into host but when I put the usb key in the light on the key flashes as normal like it's reading it but it just does not show up in ifile. I tried everything to get it to show but cannot work it out. It has no problems switching from host to slave though. I flashed the R2 kernel so took it out untill a solution comes out that includes host with the new kernel.

Guest thedicemaster

what filesystem did you format the usb key in?

and did you ever use anything other than the windows formatter to format it?

and could you tell me what files starting with "8:" you have in /dev/block/vold/

Edited by thedicemaster

Guest carl rose
what filesystem did you format the usb key in?

and did you ever use anything other than the windows formatter to format it?

and could you tell me what files starting with "8:" you have in /dev/block/vold/

I took it off mate. The key was fat32 and i do format with another software but i dont think i did that key with it. it's called HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool.

Guest carl rose
r3
  • Now using MCK r2
  • Slave / Host mode is indicated in Settings -> About
  • The /misc is no longer mounted in the ramdisk (BSOD fix)

Sorry mate, a bit thick, what does thie mean? Is it possible to change from host to slave with R3? Can you see wether it's host or slave in settings/ about?

Thanks in advance

Guest HunteronX
Sorry mate, a bit thick, what does thie mean? Is it possible to change from host to slave with R3? Can you see wether it's host or slave in settings/ about?

Thanks in advance

This is an updated usb slave to host switcher, with kernels that should hopefully solve the BSOD problem - so try installing clockwork mod afterwards.

If you just want an updated usb slave kernel, go here:

http://android.modaco.com/content/advent-v...he-advent-vega/

Edited by HunteronX

Guest Lennyuk
Is this in addition to the R6 USB Host and the R2 Kernal? I'm confused ;)

If you now use HOST/SLAVE switch it will always remain on a MCK kernel where as before it switched kernel.

Guest HunteronX
Is this in addition to the R6 USB Host and the R2 Kernal? I'm confused ;)

No, it's a separate version. The old usb mode switcher (r2 or less) isn't needed anymore.

The R2 kernel has had a 'refresh' as Paul puts it, to hopefully fix the BSOD problem with clockwork mod. To get this, click on the link I posted above.

This R2 kernel is only a usb slave version, which is why Paul created the usb mode switcher, from slave to host, and vice-versa.

Also, as 'Lennyuk' said on the previous the post, the usb mode switcher only uses Paul's MCK kernels now.

Edited by HunteronX

Guest carl rose
No, it's a separate version. The old usb mode switcher (r2 or less) isn't needed anymore.

The R2 kernel has had a 'refresh' as Paul puts it, to hopefully fix the BSOD problem with clockwork mod. To get this, click on the link I posted above.

This R2 kernel is only a usb slave version, which is why Paul created the usb mode switcher, from slave to host, and vice-versa.

Also, as 'Lennyuk' said on the previous the post, the usb mode switcher only uses Paul's MCK kernels now.

Yes that seems to be the case. When you change it to host it says so on the kernel info in settings/about. I still have the same problem of not seeing the stick in ifile. What can this be? Yesterday I managed to install the old usb switch mod and had the same problem, tried 4 different usb keys and it's the same. It changes fine from slave to host and gets granted premissions. In host I put the usb key in and it flashes as if it's reading it but it does not show. I tried mnt/usb/system_usb and its like an empty folder. I cannot understand it.

Guest Lennyuk
Yes that seems to be the case. When you change it to host it says so on the kernel info in settings/about. I still have the same problem of not seeing the stick in ifile. What can this be? Yesterday I managed to install the old usb switch mod and had the same problem, tried 4 different usb keys and it's the same. It changes fine from slave to host and gets granted premissions. In host I put the usb key in and it flashes as if it's reading it but it does not show. I tried mnt/usb/system_usb and its like an empty folder. I cannot understand it.

what file type is your usb sticks formatted to?

Guest HunteronX

Edit: Didn't read the post properly...

Try re-enabling host mode, using the usb mode switcher.

Edited by HunteronX

Guest carl rose
what file type is your usb sticks formatted to?

All of them fat32, i erased the stick and formatted again in fat32 but still the same. Is yours ok then?

Guest TylerDurdenK

Are you sure? Pauls has quoted on here that this R3 usb switcher now uses the R2MCK, and has the BSoD fix.

Guest carl rose
Edit: Didn't read the post properly...

Try re-enabling host mode, using the usb mode switcher.

I did that 3 or four times, it shows slave in info when in slave and host when in host. I don't get it. Is yours ok?

Guest zzleezz

I have 3 old 2gig USB sticks here that the vega will refuse to read from. Doesnt matter how I format them they wont read.

Have a microSD card reader also that if I stick any micro SD card I have laying about (2g, 4g and 8g) all work fine as long as formatted to fat32.

It might just be your USB sticks are not compatible ;)

Guest tjz1100

Had high hopes that this might solve my problem, but it hasn't. Vega is still sitting at the 'your device will reboot shortly, please wait' message!

Sob!

Guest carl rose
I have 3 old 2gig USB sticks here that the vega will refuse to read from. Doesnt matter how I format them they wont read.

Have a microSD card reader also that if I stick any micro SD card I have laying about (2g, 4g and 8g) all work fine as long as formatted to fat32.

It might just be your USB sticks are not compatible ;)

It used to read these sticks on the old 1.6 firmware and old usb host mod. I just changed it to host again to try a few more things like a mem card reader like you suggested and at boot it gave me the dreadful message about fastboot "Starting fastboot USB download protocol". Nice, tried restoring just the boot image, read some info here at modaco but had visitors and needed to show them something on the vega so had to just put it in recovery and flash the 1.8 update to make it quick. Luckly I had installed CWM and made a nandroid backup so just installed it again and now restoring it. It would be nice all the icons were like I had them before and all programs installed and configured like I had them but don't know if that's the case. Just doing it. Will post results

Update: just finished the nandroid restore and everything like I had it yesterday. This is just brilliant

Edited by carl rose

Guest carl rose
Had high hopes that this might solve my problem, but it hasn't. Vega is still sitting at the 'your device will reboot shortly, please wait' message!

Sob!

Have you installed visionary and rooted the vega? Has it asked for superuser permissions?

It used to read these sticks on the old 1.6 firmware and old usb host mod. I just changed it to host again to try a few more things like a mem card reader like you suggested and at boot it gave me the dreadful message about fastboot "Starting fastboot USB download protocol". Nice, tried restoring just the boot image, read some info here at modaco but had visitors and needed to show them something on the vega so had to just put it in recovery and flash the 1.8 update to make it quick. Luckly I had installed CWM and made a nandroid backup so just installed it again and now restoring it. It would be nice all the icons were like I had them before and all programs installed and configured like I had them but don't know if that's the case. Just doing it. Will post results

Update: just finished the nandroid restore and everything like I had it yesterday. This is just brilliant

Wait, what? Fastboot? I didn't think the Vega had fastboot?

P