Engadget on Honeycomb

Guest terminaljunkie

Guest godinandroid

How can the minimum resolution be so low? Surely 4" and less phones are immediately going to be excluded?

It would be rather annoying if true as I'm looking forward to the Vega being properly supported on the market.

Wouldn't surprise me if true ... I doubt that would be a minimum for a phone though.

I'm sure the Vega will get honeycomb one way or the other .. and if not then it will go on eBay to pay for a new one!

Guest battletank
How can the minimum resolution be so low? Surely 4" and less phones are immediately going to be excluded?

It would be rather annoying if true as I'm looking forward to the Vega being properly supported on the market.

I think the point is that Honeycomb is a strand of Android designed specifically for tablets; phones would be expected to follow the alternative strand (Gingerbread), with specs more suitable for a small screen.

From a commercial perspective, these specs make perfect sense, and will appeal to manufacturers; none of the current crop of devices support this resolution, so Samsung, Viewsonic, etc. can get busy selling new tablets to people who've invested in premature technology, rather than having to release updates to 'old' technology, which generates no new revenue for them.

Edited by battletank

Guest Lennyuk
How rubbish:( Meh, I'm sure Paul will find a way! Failing that, we'll either make do or purchase the Vega 2 HD Teraflop5.

I am sure it will be fine, even if there is no official honeycomb we will have a custom one.

But these specs seem awfully high and would be against what google generally have tried to do with the android OS. Google don't really want to exclude a lot of devices with their open source OS, so I would not be surprised if these are "recommended" but it works on much lower specs.

Guest godinandroid

Indeed, the only problem would be resolution for using market apps, but hopefully future programs will be much more scalable..if that's the right word.

Guest rvdgeer
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/03/honeyco...ly-tablet-only/

Looking at the video resolution it certainly falls short.

How sure are we that 1024 x 600 is the maximum resolution for our device?

The manufacturers site tells us the device (P10AN01) has a 1024 x 600 or 1366 x 768 display...

Is this a hardware choice or a software setting?

Link to the PDF with specs on the manufacturers site...

Guest terminaljunkie
How sure are we that 1024 x 600 is the maximum resolution for our device?

The manufacturers site tells us the device (P10AN01) has a 1024 x 600 or 1366 x 768 display...

Is this a hardware choice or a software setting?

Link to the PDF with specs on the manufacturers site...

Was under the impression that the Vega was 1024 * 600 only from Advent supplied specs & have seen nothing that would allow a change of resolution to-date...nevertheless a good spot & perhaps a question for the adventvega techs via twitter?

Guest HexusOdy

I doubt there will be a minimum resolution. Why would there be?

What possible advantage is it to Google to restrict it to 1280 x 720, they would be halving their market for it when they want as many people to adopt Android as possible. There are certainly no hardware limitations.

I'm 99% sure there wouldn't be a minimum resolution.

Guest bearded1

if a better higher res screen could be found that happens to fit ok - would that work? i seem to remember a thread about swapping out the screen.. or maybe i imagined it..

Guest danielj58

I'd dare say it's just the rumour mill churning out rubbish.

There was a lot of similar speculation around gingerbread too that turned out to be completely unfounded.

Guest arad85

For those who want the in-depth, take a look here: http://developer.android.com/guide/practic...ns_support.html Essentially, there are two things to worry about - the resolution (i.e. x by y pixels) and the dots per inch (dpi). Essentially, you could have a high resolution screen that is very small (high dpi) or you could have a large screen with the same resolution (i.e. low dpi). What has to happen is that apps need to be compatible with both and still be usable (icons/labels being a sensible size etc).

I really don't see how there could be a minimum resolution, it's an operating system, so it should be compatible with various resolutions, providing support up to 1280 x 720. Take a look at this article.

Why?

Technically Windows 7 has a minimum resolution at which it is usable , so why should Android be any different

Guest Lennyuk
Why?

Technically Windows 7 has a minimum resolution at which it is usable , so why should Android be any different

Like said about the "minimum" stated if true would rule out a lot of existing devices, and I don't think google will want to do that.

Guest Rhuey46
Why?

And I could use windows 7 on 800x600 if I wanted to?

And I could use windows 7 on 800x600 if I wanted to?

You could use 320x240 on Windows if you really wanted to. But it wouldn't be useable.

The point I was trying to make was that there may well be stuff that is in Honeycomb that wont be usable under a certain resolution. Therefore there may be very good reasons why there could be a minimum res for it.

Guest HexusOdy
Why?

PC's for a long time have been running at higher than the Windows 7 minimum. The minimum requirement for Win 7 probably excluded less than 0.5% of users from using it. And of those they were likely restricted by other hardware also.

For Google to set a minimum this high when the vast majority of devices in the channel don't support that resolution, and as a result exclude around 90% of their market, would make no commercial sense.

Guest diveboy2
For Google to set a minimum this high when the vast majority of devices in the channel don't support that resolution, and as a result exclude around 90% of their market, would make no commercial sense.

Agreed 1024 x 600 is more than adaquite IMHO. Google wont shut that resolution of on honeycomb, you can pretty much guarentee it.

Guest emergant
Agreed 1024 x 600 is more than adaquite IMHO. Google wont shut that resolution of on honeycomb, you can pretty much guarentee it.

Google arent very inclusive with hardware requirements. If they were we'd have market out of the box. We'll probably get honeycombe unofficially like we have froyo IMHO

Guest wi-fli

Asus have apparently just announced a load of new tablets, all running honeycomb, and the smallest one is a 7" called eee pad MeMo (Google it) which has the same screen resolution as the Vega.

I'd take all the speculation with a pinch of salt and just wait and see...