2.2 roms good enough for general use?

Guest Scope

I have gone through some of the threads re froyo, but it is still not clear for me if it is ready for general use.. Which rom is the best, and does everything work as it should? Phone, wifi, 3g, gps..

My TFT SF is currently running Finnish Fillyjonk RLS5 which seems to work pretty well.

Guest fryguyse

I'm using Japanese Jellyfish RLS3b and i'm not having any issues with it. Never tried the GPS though. And the battery usage is pretty low (if i disable wlan when i'm not using it).

Guest Azurren

Really there is nothing wrong with the latest 2.2 roms. Infact I would recommend them to anyone :D

(They are only "Alpha" as they are based off a test build of the official froyo rom)

Guest That-Guy

I have been using Seb's r0.3 2.2 for about a week and it works perfect.

I am also using the new kernel which ZTE released so it takes it out of beta.

Have a look at the guide in my signature :D

Thanks for the replies..

I have installed Japanese Jellyfish and so far so good.. I dont know why, but I expected it to look different to 2.1 .. So far GUI-wise its more or less identical. :D

Guest MroziQ
Really there is nothing wrong with the latest 2.2 roms. Infact I would recommend them to anyone :D

(They are only "Alpha" as they are based off a test build of the official froyo rom)

So which one 2.1 are u using and could u recommend?

I used Paul's r4 ROM for three weeks or so. It worked brilliantly, far far better than the stock ROM in every way.

I've just switched -- last night -- to the latest Jellyfish ROM because I wanted to try out the latest kernel. I'm still sorting out apps which didn't work from the backed-up copy and need to be re-installed from the market, so that's been frustrating, but the ROM itself looks like it's absolutely ready for daily use. The baked-in wifi reconnect, while still a work-around, is a better work-around than any of the apps I've used. The intermittent wake-lock issue is still irritating, but no more so than it was before.

Overclocking is probably a bit over-rated: Angry Birds is marginally smoother, and I can run live wallpapers I couldn't before, but ... I don't care THAT much about either.

Bottom line: both of the 2.2 ROMs I've tried seem thoroughly ready for prime time.

Guest UncleFista
I've just switched -- last night -- to the latest Jellyfish ROM because I wanted to try out the latest kernel.

No need, I'm using Pauls r5 and just flashed the new kernal, works perfectly...

Guest Rotmann
I have been using Seb's r0.3 2.2 for about a week and it works perfect.

I am also using the new kernel which ZTE released so it takes it out of beta.

Have a look at the guide in my signature :P

+1 bestest :D , cleanest, most stable and battery economical.

Guest Pierreism
The intermittent wake-lock issue is still irritating, but no more so than it was before.

What wake-lock issues?

Are there still touchscreen freezes in both 2.2 ROMS even with the new kernel???

That's the only thing that's keeping me from switching (also, battery life). I may wait till Paul comes back and builds up the Froyo MCR before I make a decision.

Guest lineage

i have been using FB r6 2.2 rom and it runs very smoothly and stable, apart from the commonly known wifi issue

the rom is more than enough for general use

Guest SportyBen

couldn't find a topic discussing display brightness, so i am placing this here:

is there any chance in a newer software version i will be able to have the display darker? i think lowest brightness is still to bright for many indoor situations and i want to save battery.

Guest mrbill1234

I'm about to update my blade - is it possible to restore my apps (some of which are paid-for apps) from my original config to my new 2.2 install? What about app data?

Thanks,

Guest isambard

i switched from 2.2 back to 2.1 because of the non-working internet over 2G/3G (only affects some people). i would like to upgrade back to 2.2 for the performance and other enhancements, but 2.1 actually does work pretty well.

Guest Matthew Ferguson

mrbill1234 - all of your apps you should be able to reinstall from the market, if not, back them up with Titanium Backup (also found in the market)

Uncle Fista - he probably meant the 2.1 rom. As well as the r5 rom being extremely unstable and with very little updates, it's also hard to get the new kernel on.

Scope - if you like FF you'll love Japanese Jellyfish. Most of the kinks have been worked out, as it's now in RLS6, and it's by the same guy, so as I'm sure you know it's updated pretty regularly. The battery life has been improved, with HW acceleration being an optional extra, the wifi scanning rate being reduced, and if you don't install overclocking it's usually pretty good. Most people have just been complaining as they've installed OCing and then posted "WHY IS MY BATTERY LIFE SO BAD? :D" Try it out, it's completely stable (basically a debranded fix of the Japanese blade rom).

Guest lixcab

Definitely too early to tell. Bugs don't really appear after a few days worth of 'real' life use (and test.) I would wait a few more days as Devs are still banging out fixes and updates like rockstars.

Guest Matthew Ferguson
Definitely too early to tell. Bugs don't really appear after a few days worth of 'real' life use (and test.) I would wait a few more days as Devs are still banging out fixes and updates like rockstars.

I disagree, Jellyfish's been around for a while now and I've found it great for daily use.

Guest lixcab
I disagree, Jellyfish's been around for a while now and I've found it great for daily use.

I was using Jellyfish RLS5 yesterday and AGPS and GPS was acting a bit funny. I'm using RLS6 today and haven't found a bug yet. A lot of things could happen in a few days is what I'm saying.

The new Kernel has only been out a few days too and devs are still mashing up an optimal combo with settings and stable apps (Dialer, Japanese remnant apps, settings for apps battery consumption.)

I'm not going to be hasty to state that it's "great for daily use" when battery might be <15% after a few hours use.

Edited by lixcab

Guest Matthew Ferguson
I was using Jellyfish RLS5 yesterday and AGPS and GPS was acting a bit funny. I'm using RLS6 today and haven't found a bug yet. A lot of things could happen in a few days is what I'm saying.

The new Kernel has only been out a few days too and devs are still mashing up an optimal combo with settings and stable apps (Dialer, Japanese remnant apps, settings for apps battery consumption.)

I'm not going to be hasty to state that it's "great for daily use" when battery might be <15% after a a few hours use.

Well what I'm saying is my battery's lasting 2 days on Jellyfish, so it IS stable for me to use for daily use, and works very well. KK is fast to release patches to fix issues, such as the GPS one you mention above. For me personally, JJ is great for daily use.

Guest mrbill1234

Ok, all installed using That-Guys instructions - all working fine and seems much faster and smoother.

I managed to back up my apps - and TouchPal - which is great.

One thing which seems to be missing is my data. I did back it all up - but all my Angry Birds levels are gone! Including other games too!

I'm going to have some pretty disappointed kids!

I used super manager to back up into an smbk file. I also have the original clockwork backup. How can I restore this data?

Thanks,

Ok, all installed using That-Guys instructions - all working fine and seems much faster and smoother.

I managed to back up my apps - and TouchPal - which is great.

One thing which seems to be missing is my data. I did back it all up - but all my Angry Birds levels are gone! Including other games too!

I'm going to have some pretty disappointed kids!

I used super manager to back up into an smbk file. I also have the original clockwork backup. How can I restore this data?

Thanks,

I think I was the same. Titanium restored app but not data - 'appsaver' app also had a backup for me though and that worked. 1 or the other anyway sorry can't mind.

On another note - on section one - the last level - how do you get past it????? :D