• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content   07/30/15

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such softwareNintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)CUSTOM ROMS You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)ROMs must give full credit to the original authorISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact PaulOBrien directly via PM.
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed   07/30/15

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspension / ban.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Don't have a SanFran (yet), question about custom roms

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

All of the guides involve using fastboot to flash a recovery onto the phone as the first step.

Is there anything wrong with simply using one of the one-click apps to root the phone, then use ROM manager to flash clockworkmod recovery?

Edited by heyitsme123

Posted · Report post

There is no Clockworks mod for ZTE Blade in Rom Manager :/

Posted · Report post

ROM manager is just a pretty front end for clockworkmod.

Without clockwork installed it doesn't do anything...

Posted · Report post

But I hope you read this: FOR ADVANCED USERS ONLY ON THEIR OWN RISK!

That's my warning.

Basically the TPT's change the system partition size on the phone - make it smaller

This means more space for APPS

However it also means (unless you apply a TPT to restore) you can then only install ROMS that have 128MB partitions.

So -

• TPT's Simple to install - but lower level changes to your device.
  • ZIP's via Clockwork - more manual, but less of a lower level mod

The warning it there to make people read what they are about to do.

Posted · Report post

If you've not even got the phone yet then I'd recommend:

1) Keep the phone as it is for a bit. Play with it for a day or so to ensure there are no hardware problems before you void the warranty.

2) Use the methods in the sticky posts on this forum... they've been tried and tested by dozens (maybe hundreds?) of people so they are unlikely to cause you problems. It only takes a short while to get clockwork installed and flash the phone.

Once you have clockwork on there, it's just a case of copying the ROM zip file to the SD card, rebooting, and clicking on a couple of things in a menu. Then you're all done. From one ROM to another in just a few minutes. A GUI wouldn't make it much quicker/easier anyway.

The time consuming bit is really getting the adb drivers set up and the SDK installed (but you'll probably want that either way)

Posted · Report post

The time consuming bit is really getting the adb drivers set up and the SDK installed (but you'll probably want that either way)

I didn't have to sort any drivers or install the SDK to get fastboot working, am I missing something? Running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit if that makes any difference.