MoDaCo is undergoing planned maintenance. Site functionality may be reduced - follow @modaco or @paulobrien on Twitter for updates.

• Announcements

• Reminder - MoDaCo position on illegal content

ILLEGAL CONTENT I'd like to just reaffirm MoDaCo's position regarding piracy and illegal content in the light of some recent questions / postings. Posts will be censored by myself or my moderation team if the contain or link to: Illegal / pirated / cracked software or sites that host such software
      Nintendo emulators / ROMs or sites hosting them (in light of Nintendo's legal stance)

CUSTOM ROMS

You may discuss and post links to custom device ROMs on MoDaCo, provided the following rules are adhered to: ROMs must not be hosted directly in topic via the MoDaCo attachment system
      ROMs must not contain any illegal 3rd party software (this includes trial versions included without permission)
      ROMs must give full credit to the original author
      This decision has been taken in light of the huge amount of interest in this area of device customisation within the community, and member feedback! Please note that custom ROM discussion should be kept in specific device sub-areas, (e.g. Kaiser.MoDaCo.com for Kaiser based devices). ISSUES If you have any issues with this policy, please contact me directly via PM. P
    • Support MoDaCo by signing up to a MoDaCo Silver or Gold membership

To sign up to an annual MoDaCo Silver subscription which will eliminate all ads from the site (as well as giving you access to the MoDaCo Online Kitchens for Android) for only £9.99 using PayPal, Credit or Debit Card, ensure you are logged in to the site, and then click the link below, which will take you directly to the subscription store! You can also sign up to an annual MoDaCo Gold subscription for £29.99, which adds the benefits listed below! PURCHASE A MODACO SUBSCRIPTION - FREE Titanium Backup Mobile for Android worth $5.99! - FREE 1 year PrivateInternetAccess.com worth $39.95! - FREE 1 year LastPass Premium worth $12! - FREE CalcConvert for Pocket PC from Binaryfish worth $17.95! - FREE Calendar Bar for Pocket PC from OmegaOne worth $9.99! - FREE CamerAware for Pocket PC and Smartphone from MoDaCo worth £19.99 / $30! - FREE Chronos for Pocket PC from ActiveKitten worth $14.95! - FREE CodeWallet Pro for Smartphone and Pocket PC from DeveloperOne worth up to $24.95! - FREE Concentrix for Pocket PC from eSoft Interactive worth $9.95! - FREE FlexMail for Pocket PC and Smartphone from WebIS worth up to $59.90! - FREE FTouchSL for Pocket PC from Vekoff s.r.o. worth 10 euro / $12.50! - FREE Jewel Challenge for Pocket PC from eSoft Interactive worth $9.95! - FREE John Cody's Alerts Pro for Smartphone from Omnisoft worth $14.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> Dutch for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> French for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> German for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> Italian for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Talking Dictionary 2008 English <-> Spanish for Pocket PC from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> Dutch for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> French for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> German for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> Russian for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE LingvoSoft Dictionary English <-> Turkish for Smartphone from Lingvosoft worth $49.95! - FREE Note2Self for Pocket PC and Smartphone from WebIS worth up to $19.90! - FREE Opera 8.60 for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Opera Software worth up to $48! - FREE Pocket Informant for Pocket PC and Smartphone from WebIS worth up to $59.90! - FREE Pocket Launcher for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Conduits worth $9.95! - FREE PTab for Pocket PC and Smartphone from z4soft worth up to $60! - FREE Resco Explorer for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Resco worth up to $49.90! - FREE Safemode for Pocket PC from monocube worth $12.95 - FREE SplashPhoto for Pocket PC and Smartphone from SplashData worth up to $59.90! - FREE Sprite Backup for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Sprite Software worth $29.95! - FREE Teksoft Glyphs UI for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Teksoft €9.95! - FREE Teksoft HeadsetRemote for Pocket PC and Smartphone from Teksoft €4.95! - FREE Traffic Jam for Pocket PC from eSoft Interactive worth $9.95! - FREE unlock (1 per year) from imei-check.co.uk - DISCOUNT of 10% at MoDaCo FairDeal - DISCOUNT of 10% at Semsons.com - FORUM - AD FREE SITE - FORUM - custom rank / title - FORUM - double competition entries - FORUM - double post attachment space - FORUM - no search flood control - FORUM - priority event registration - FORUM - triple PM space
    • Reminder: Selling items on the forum directly is not allowed

Please note that selling items on the forum directly is not allowed by the forum rules. There is a forum for eBay auctions whereby you can list the items on eBay and link to them there. This is the ONLY forum for this type of activity. You may also advertise links to the eBay forum in your signature. Please note that selling directly in contravention of these rules will result in a warning / suspensions / ban.

How to really start over from scratch?

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

My phone's not well.

Considering all of the messing around I've done with it I figure I should just start over from scratch.

Brief History:-

I've tried lots of ROMs and TPTs as they've become available, mostly to try and get a 2.2 that allows me to roam from T-mobile to Orange 2G/GSM data reliably. Basically I got a great deal with T-mobile though there's no coverage at all at home. Orange however is pretty good. 3G roaming is however a dream for the future...

Anyway, I think I've got a corrupt partition somewhere. Running TPT's doesn't seem to help.

Whenever I wipe dalvik cache from clockworkmod 2.5.1.8 I get "E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 (File exists)"

Most times when I install a rom (despite wiping from privacy settings and from CWM) I still get stuff from previous installs showing up ie themed elements like circlemod.

Most of this would be fine, I could live with it but recently the phone has become less stable. The simple APN setting for T-mobile doesn't stick anymore, it keeps reverting values to asterisks, without there being any 'Data Switch' type software installed. No APNDroid or JuiceDefender.

Also, holding down the power button gives unpredictable results. Sometimes it goes to sleep, sometimes it goes to lock screen and sometimes it brings up the power options menu. I have to perform a little finger dance to get it to do what I want. heh.

I like troubleshooting (I'm an ops analyst) but every now and then there comes a point where you just want to nuke it all and start over. But how?

Thing is I've tried a few TPT's with different partition sizes and I'm still getting these probs.

So I just tried (for the first time) to 'downgrade' to Fillyjonk RLS5 lite (128mb). The install went well without errors but Acore FC's constantly.

So how can I check my partitions out and really start from scratch?

Been troubleshooting this myself for quite a while now but it's time to ask for some help :D

Edited by tcpaulh

Posted · Report post

My phone's not well.

Considering all of the messing around I've done with it I figure I should just start over from scratch.

I've tried lots of ROMs and TPTs as they've become available, mostly to try and get a 2.2 with that allows me to roam my T-mobile SIM to Orange 2G/GSM data reliably. Basically I got a great deal with T-mobile though theres no coverage at all at home. Orange however is pretty good. 3G roaming is however a dream for the future...

Anyway, I think I've got a corrupt partition somewhere. Running TPT's doesn't seem to help.

Whenever I wipe dalvik cache from clockworkmod 2.5.1.8 I get "E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 (File exists)"

Most times when I install a rom (despite wiping from privacy settings and from CWM) I still get stuff from previous installs showing up ie themed elements like circlemod.

Most of this would be fine, I could live with it but recently the phone has become less stable. The simple APN setting for T-mobile doesn't stick anymore, it keeps reverting values to asterisks, without there being any 'Data Switch' type software installed. No APNDroid or JuiceDefender.

Also, holding down the power button gives unpredictable results. Sometimes it goes to sleep, sometimes it goes to lock screen and sometimes it brings up the power options menu. I have to perform a little finger dance to get it to do what I want. heh.

I like troubleshooting (I'm an ops analyst) but every now and then there comes a point where you just want to nuke it all and start over. But how?

Thing is I've tried a few TPT's with different partition sizes and I'm still getting these probs.

So I just tried (for the first time) to 'downgrade' to Fillyjonk RLS5 lite (128mb). The install went well without errors but Acore FC's constantly.

Been troubleshooting this myself for quite a while now but it's time to ask for some help :D

I am also questioning the same. How can I wipe everything and install a new clen rom .

My phone's not well.

I've tried lots of ROMs and TPTs as they've become available, mostly to try and get a 2.2 that allows me to roam from T-mobile to Orange 2G/GSM data reliably. Basically I got a great deal with T-mobile though there's no coverage at all at home. Orange however is pretty good. 3G roaming is however a dream for the future...

There's probably more than one thing going on.

The TPT is a total spring clean of what is on your phone.

But not your sdcard. If you've been playing with moving stuff to sd, that stuff will persist through TPT, and come back to haunt you if you've been going from 2.1 to 2.2

And the same goes for backed up 2.1 apps restored to a phone now running 2.2 - asking for trouble, it seems. And as for restoring backups of 2.1 settings onto a 2.2 system, well, that could lead to stuff like your APN wierdnesses.

"Theme Elements" like the circle battery are not going to persist (and work) through shifting partitions. But the circle battery is a STANDARD part of kallt_kaffe's recent roms. So re-installation is more likely than persistence.

If you clear /data then that will remove the Dalvik cache.

If you've just wiped the partition holding it, then its inevitable that the file cannot then be found.

Power button. First make sure the back is on properly. It needs to be lined up at the switch end first, "hooked over" the switch - not just pressed straight down, and then clipped along the sides, finishing by pressing together the mouthpiece end of the phone.

Its their mistake that the manual doesn't explain this properly.

But, if the back is not on properly, the switch can't work properly.

So, regarding software, I'd suggest that you

- clean out and reformat your sdcard

- install a straightforward, no fuss rom, by TPT. Maybe Swedish Snow (a recent 2.1 from kk).

- and nothing else, (except any real essentials from Market), particularly don't restore ANY backups, until you've used the phone enough to be confident of its stability.

If it still behaves strangely like that, restore stock software and send it back under warranty.

Otherwise, off you go again ...

Edited by oh!dougal

Posted · Report post

Thanks oh!dougal. I've tried to be careful about what I leave on the SD card but your advice, as usual, is sound. Trying it now.

Posted · Report post

Thanks oh!dougal. I've tried to be careful about what I leave on the SD card but your advice, as usual, is sound. Trying it now.

I am interested to see how you get on - may add a how to if its good,

I am interested to see how you get on - may add a how to if its good,

TPTing and SD clearing have revirginised my phone.

I threw in a slow SD format for good measure.

Any problems remaining are quality issues ie quality of data service and power button quality. Even my data service is almost back to how it was. No more asterisks appearing/disappearing in APN settings. T-Mobile/Orange must just be having some issues where I am. Got "Web page not available" first time I tried this reply. If only tpt could improve local coverage eh?

Edited by tcpaulh

Posted · Report post

TPTing and SD clearing have revirginised my phone.

Which TPT did you use

ta

Posted · Report post

Please do make some kind of how-to out of this where you explain to us who don't understand what TPT etc is :D

I want to try this myself, since my phone keeps acting weird regardless of what ROM I'm running.

Posted · Report post

Please do make some kind of how-to out of this where you explain to us who don't understand what TPT etc is :D

I want to try this myself, since my phone keeps acting weird regardless of what ROM I'm running.

Total Phone Transplant is my shorthand for using the installer that ZTE used to apply the official Hungarian update that unlocked the ram on those phones to use all their 512mb (ie ~415mb ram available to programs).

The installer's payload (what rom & recovery it installs) is a matter of personal convenience. (You could install a stock Hungarian rom and recovery, but unless that's your preferred starting point, why choose that?)

KK uses that installer to change the phone's storage partitioning. See Post #1 of the Jellyfish or Snow threads.

Seven has already written a guide.

I believe (to avoid possible serious weirdness) that its VERY important to take the precaution of checking the downloads MD5 checksum, to make certain that there were no download errors, BEFORE installing.

Steven's install guide describes methods of MD5 checking for different computer systems.

I prefer to use Astro File Manager (free from Market) and do it on the phone. View the download's "Details" and wait a few seconds while it calculates the MD5.

I suspect that much of tcpaulh's software weirdness may have come from restoring backups of 2.1 stuff (esp settings) after installing 2.2 ... (or vice versa) and then backing them up again and installing to a fresh system. Weirdness would be cumulative!

Posted · Report post

Which TPT did you use

ta

Swedish_Snow_RLS1_image.zip