Mobile Broadband dongles

Guest dukla2000

Guest mjcampbell12

i have tried this method for a 3g dongle with one borrowed from work. now that i have removed the dongle and turned off 3g services. the red triangle with exclamation mark is still there and wont go even on a reboot. how can i get rid of it??

any help is much appreciated

Guest Greedydog
The problem with this solution is that some carriers extra charge for using your mobile device for tethering .

Hmmmm... well as far as I'm aware on my carrier data is data and it's cheaper just to use my monthly allowance (which I don't exhaust with my phone) than signing up to another plan or PAYG, obviously different strokes for different folks!

Guest elvch01
Hmmmm... well as far as I'm aware on my carrier data is data and it's cheaper just to use my monthly allowance (which I don't exhaust with my phone) than signing up to another plan or PAYG, obviously different strokes for different folks!

I agree - data is data and it is very difficult to identify that traffic originated from a tethered Vega rather than the original phone. Deep packet inspection might show up differences in the browser settings (but will not be easy to do). I am planning to get an android 2.2 phone & tether my Vega. I also use OpenVPN to tunnel all traffic through my home; this ensures I always appear to have a UK IP address so I can watch BBC iPlayer when abroad (I travel a lot on business). The side benefit is that all traffic is encrypted between the Vega and my home so no amount of packet inspection will uncover whether I am tethering or not

Guest Jisonga

But is,nt creating a wifi hotspot different to tethering.

Virgin mobile do not allow tethering and i am unable to use this option on my phone.

But when i select the hotspot option i can connect my vega and when i check my data allowance it s been used as per normal.

Could be wrong have been many times before but i am sure these are two seperate ways of dealing with data connections.

Jason.

i have tried this method for a 3g dongle with one borrowed from work. now that i have removed the dongle and turned off 3g services. the red triangle with exclamation mark is still there and wont go even on a reboot. how can i get rid of it??

any help is much appreciated

Switch to slave mode and reboot.

Guest mjcampbell12
Switch to slave mode and reboot.

tried that no joy unfortunately.

edit:

tried back to host then another reboot and it has gone :D many thanks :D

Edited by mjcampbell12

Guest Sanddancer75
Confirmed working with Huawei e1550 (MegaFon RUS) unlocked with HyperTerminal tricks

My stock Huawei E1550 on 3 doesn't work. I only get a blue flashing light & it can't find a network when I search for one.

Edited by Sanddancer75

Guest Mickgoodie1
I've was messing around with my 3G dongle this evening but realised I'd have to remove the CD mount thingy then a thought struck me... "why not use a mifi?" Well the short answer is because I don't have one.... what I do have tho' is a Nexus One with one of Paul's custom ROMs and somewhere in the dim recesses of my mind I remembered it has a WiFi hotspot feature.... a bit of fiddling later and lo and behold I'm surfing via my own Wifi hotspot which essentially turns the Nexus into a mifi.... I don't know which of Paul's ROMs have the WiFi hotspot feature but for those with Android phones with a Modaco ROM (and if not, why not?!) it's an easy and neat solution..... :D

I am still having issues getting my vega with paul's R8 rom to be able to connect to my htc hero with any tethering app.

can anyone confirm what I need to extra to get this setup with Barnacle tethering app, or is the a MIFI app that I can use that will do the same job?

I am still having issues getting my vega with paul's R8 rom to be able to connect to my htc hero with any tethering app.

can anyone confirm what I need to extra to get this setup with Barnacle tethering app, or is the a MIFI app that I can use that will do the same job?

I have my Vega connected via Barnacle with R8, I only select barnacle network from wi-fi list

Guest Louis63
I have a working, surfing conection via an Huawei E220 3G dongle on my Vega.

Details:

1. Installed theMoDaCo Custom ROM for the Advent Vega r7

2. Enabled USB Host Mode (USB Mode --> USB Host (required reboot)

3. Inserted the Huawei E220 USB Dongle (mine was a t-mobile PAYG dongle)

4. If USB Host Mode is enabled, the dongle will flash green, then blue

*Interesting bit*:

5a. Go to Settings --> Accounts & Sync --> Add Account

5b. Select 'Google'

5b. Hold down the back button (the physical button) for 2-5 seconds until a 'Wireless Settings' icon appears at the bottom of the screen

5c. Select 'Wireless Settings'

5d. Select '3G Service enabled'

5e. Select 'Data enabled'

5f. Select 'Network Operators' ... You may need to wait 10-30 seconds as the Vega configures itself to read the USB dongle, makes a connection and identifies what providers are available... the light on my USB Dongle went solid blue at this point (if I recall correctly)

5g. Choose your network operator

5h. The Vega notification bar will change to show a "3G" icon, which is animated to show upload/download action; and a signal strenth icon.

6. Ensure WiFi is off and surf to a website... In my case, I got the t-mobile top-up page, which showed me my dongle's phone number and the fact that I had no further credit on my account.

When you unplug the dongle, the notification bar will change to a red triable for 'No Service: Selected network unavailable).

At this point I don't know whether this is chewing my battery or not when not connected.. as the "No Service" notification does not go away, even though I've disabled '3G Service'.

This is my first post here, so if I've posted in the wrong please, let me know and I'll happily move it.

Cheers,

BB.

Tried it as written above, but with rom r8 only a flashing bleu led on my Huawei E220.

There is a 3G Icon that seems to react but still no connection. :D

Guest Gerard Bakker

I just got 3G working on my POV Mobii with a HUAWEI e 153u1 Adapter...

Could even make a phone call from my Tablet to my mobile ..!!!

you have to disable the CD-rom autostart function before it all works smootly .....

Guest Mickgoodie1
I have my Vega connected via Barnacle with R8, I only select barnacle network from wi-fi list

I can see the barnacle wifi but it fails to connect even if i use a dhcp or static ip address. What makes this even more frustrating is that i rebuilt my vega this week (it worked fine off v6 rom) and still fails to work. What phone are you tethering off and what barnacle settings do u have?

I just got 3G working on my POV Mobii with a HUAWEI e 153u1 Adapter...

Could even make a phone call from my Tablet to my mobile ..!!!

you have to disable the CD-rom autostart function before it all works smootly .....

I can confirm that one. Also got an E153u1 working on my POV Mobii with r8. Would not work as detault. I had to disable the CD-rom also and atfter that it worked like a charm. Only got GPRS, but that is because the reception is bad from where i tried this.

Did you try to send a SMS with this ?

Hi All,

I have followed this thread carefully but I am still having problems getting an internet connection with my E220.

My vega is running 1.06 and modaco r6

I have disable the CD autostart succesfully having followed the instructions listed earlier.

If I plug the E220 into my laptop I'm surfing within 30 seconds. When I plug it into my Vega (USB Host mode) it flashes green then blue. I have followed the instructions above settings>accounts>add account>google>back button>wireless> and enabled 3G. When I search for networks I just get an error.

The E220 is a T-Mobile with a O2 payandgo sim.

I decided to try and add a APN manually with the following settings...

Homepage:http://pda.o2.co.uk/

Access point: mobile.o2.co.uk

Username: mobileweb

Password: password

Email servers (POP): mail.o2.co.uk

Email servers (SMTP): smtp.o2.co.uk

DNS Servers: 193.113.200.200 and 193.113.200.201

Which as I said work fine on the laptop, but in the APN screen on the Vega there are a lot of other settings such as..

Proxy

Port

MMSC

MMS Proxy

MCC

MNC

Authentication

APN Type

I have no idea what these settings are or what else I can try. Any help would be greatly appreciated because the only thing the Vega is missing for me is mobile internet.

Regrards

Nelson

Hi All,

I have followed this thread carefully but I am still having problems getting an internet connection with my E220.

My vega is running 1.06 and ...

You need r8+ and host mode enabled.

You need r8+ and host mode enabled.

Ptbw,

Thanks for the quick response, I didn't realise I needed 1.08 for this to work... a job for the weekend I think. After updating to 1.08 will I still need the APN settings?

Regards

Nelson

Guest bingobill

Thanks for the info in this thread, all working good with my unlocked HUAWEI E169 on Three :D but not with my unlocked ZTE MF626/627, like others I get a signal but don't get 3g data.

I think connecting to wifi on my Desire HD is the neater solution but nice to have all options available.

BTW, I'm using 3 network data sims purchased off ebay with 3GB of data valid for 3months for £6.99 :D item #250756843987

EDIT: forgot to say the HUAWEI dongle also works when plugged into dock.

Edited by bingobill

Guest dimondigital
My stock Huawei E1550 on 3 doesn't work. I only get a blue flashing light & it can't find a network when I search for one.

I think you need to disable CD-rom booting from HyperTerminal by command "AT^U2DIAG=0" and maybe remove sd card.

If you don't know where to have HyperTerminal I can share it for you with PM

Guest Gerard Bakker
I can confirm that one. Also got an E153u1 working on my POV Mobii with r8. Would not work as detault. I had to disable the CD-rom also and atfter that it worked like a charm. Only got GPRS, but that is because the reception is bad from where i tried this.

Did you try to send a SMS with this ?

SMS is not working on my tab(application just will not open)..(i am using 1.09 with Dan Holliday's r8a update).

I've been following this thread pretty closely (I thought...) but I didn't realise you needed R8+ (I'm on R7).

Is that really true?

Or, has anyone got this working with R7?

Cheers

Guest inberno
I've been following this thread pretty closely (I thought...) but I didn't realise you needed R8+ (I'm on R7).

Is that really true?

Or, has anyone got this working with R7?

Cheers

You need last kernel (only works +1.08)

Confirmed working with Huawei e1550 (MegaFon RUS) unlocked with HyperTerminal tricks - put my dongle in win7 PC, when setup HyperTerminal, choose my location, phone # etc.. then just sent a AT^U2DIAG=0, saw answer "OK", remove 3g stick, put it to the Vega & voila! it works! I even didn't make any APN setups, it made all itself.

P.S. SD card removed

Thanks!

I can confirm that this worked for me too. The only difference is I used minicom on linux to send the AT command.

Guest richichen
WOW - Yes Works

Thanks Bakedbeans :huh: :) :P

Works with my O2 Broadband Dongle which is a HUAWEI E169

Nice to hear HUAWEI E169 is OK! I have this one too.

But I have one question for it. It has voice function to make and receiving voice call on Windows.

Is there anyone planning to or having it implemented the phone call function on Advent Vega Android system?