[TOOL] preBuildOS

Guest fardjad

Guest fardjad

Description:

Many cookers use bepe's BuildOS to cook ROMs. As you know BuildOS fails if there are multiple files with same name in OEM or SYS packages:

post-815469-1294953950_thumb.png

This tool automatically finds and deletes redundant .rgu and .dsm files and also removes duplicate files by name according to packages priority (determined by their directory name).

How to use:

Simply put preBuildOS in a directory beside OEM and SYS folders and open it.

post-815469-1294954307_thumb.png

This will automatically perform cleanup

post-815469-1294954651_thumb.png

and move deleted files and folders to deleted_sys and deleted_oem:

post-815469-1294955716_thumb.png

preBuildOS is a command-line tool. You can use it with --oem and --sys arguments:

prebuildos --sys=<path_to_sys_folder> --oem=<path_to_oem_folder>

Download:

preBuildOS.exe

Edited by fardjad

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fardjad

Honestly I was watching this thread for replies and feedbacks since I released the tool. I wanted to add more features and bug fixes to this utility to make it useful for cookers (I'm not interested in cooking ROMs. I was just playing with these things to learn more.)

I heard from many cookers that deleting duplicate files is really boring, so I made this utility and gave it to a few users before I post it here... And now there are only 38 downloads and 2 replies. So it seems there is no need to continue the development.

Also it's really strange that users in this community don't want to share their knowledge anyway; Before I make the tool public, one of the testers asked me not to release it! Well... I know there is competition between cookers but I personally prefer to share everything because I hope others do so. This way we gain knowledge and make our community better and better.

I have sent more than 5 PMs to a few experts here to ask them something (It was about the relocation problem with osKitchen O2 project) and almost no one answered. It seems everyone wants to publish their work just for the fame!

OK, I know this is somehow irrelevant to this topic, but I really became disappointed when I saw this state... I think there is no need to continue working on these projects.

Edited by fardjad

• 1 month later...
Guest xlightwaverx
just right after i stopped cooking :( good job!

You just saved me about an hour of work waiting for buildOS to fail on 32 different files. I think it is wonderful that you created this tool. I would like, personally, if you could make it a priority thing where you get shown the duplicates and then you choose the priority of the packages, cause once you run this tool your kitchen gets ripped apart and you have to put everything back where it goes except the new project you are working on. A lot of duplicates can be taken care of by the option.xml file, where some things don't get "cooked" together.

Otherwise this is beautiful, but I don't use it on i8000.

X

Guest carion07
Honestly I was watching this thread for replies and feedbacks since I released the tool. I wanted to add more features and bug fixes to this utility to make it useful for cookers (I'm not interested in cooking ROMs. I was just playing with these things to learn more.)

I heard from many cookers that deleting duplicate files is really boring, so I made this utility and gave it to a few users before I post it here... And now there are only 38 downloads and 2 replies. So it seems there is no need to continue the development.

Also it's really strange that users in this community don't want to share their knowledge anyway; Before I make the tool public, one of the testers asked me not to release it! Well... I know there is competition between cookers but I personally prefer to share everything because I hope others do so. This way we gain knowledge and make our community better and better.

I have sent more than 5 PMs to a few experts here to ask them something (It was about the relocation problem with osKitchen O2 project) and almost no one answered. It seems everyone wants to publish their work just for the fame!

OK, I know this is somehow irrelevant to this topic, but I really became disappointed when I saw this state... I think there is no need to continue working on these projects.

Thanks for the great tool that helps us cooks, and also I am of the opinion to share up its own knowledge and experience for the good of the whole comunity, I would be willing as a beta tester for the project osKitchen O2 Mod

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bryan W.
You just saved me about an hour of work waiting for buildOS to fail on 32 different files. I think it is wonderful that you created this tool. I would like, personally, if you could make it a priority thing where you get shown the duplicates and then you choose the priority of the packages, cause once you run this tool your kitchen gets ripped apart and you have to put everything back where it goes except the new project you are working on. A lot of duplicates can be taken care of by the option.xml file, where some things don't get "cooked" together.

Otherwise this is beautiful, but I don't use it on i8000.

X

I just spent an hour trying to find a way around this while repeatedly rebuilding and renaming doubles...

Then this took precisely 0.23 seconds to fix the rest...

Thank you!

• 4 months later...
Guest tobbbie

Hi, thanks for the tool and sharing :-)

When merging bases and adding OEM I came across the need to weed out also duplicate modules/files this is something that your tool does as well - thanks :-)

So in the context of checking to make things unique it is very handy!

I will not be able to use that on a regular base (i.e. in the cooking workflow) as I have on purpose duplicate files in package directories. These have to be selected either/or and not together.