OrangeSanFrancisco.co.uk - UPDATED June 2013

Sorted thanks.

Incidentally I DID COME HERE FIRST and followed a link on this site.

I thought this was clearer explanation for me, very step by step. I know nothing re Android. Just wanted to have ability to use my 16gb SD card for apps.

Hi

May I ask what was the problem and how you fixed it?

Adding an FAQ and Troubleshooting section tomorrow, with a few other pages. Also working on a wallpaper section. :lol:

Any other suggestions?

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
Guest coder-marc

Excellent work dude!

I saw your guide and immediately envirofone'd my old piece of crap HTC Magic for £70. I then bought an SF for £99 and installed the debranded 2.1 ROM.

It's running really well, I'm really impressed such a cheap phone could perform so well.

Guest kerryokeefe

Just registered here - very useful website, thanks to all here and on MSE. Got my OSF last week. On steep learning curve. Looked at deoranging it, but still seems really,really scary. Even with simple how to do guides fraid i am not confident enough to do what is suggested. It all works and currently if it works dont want to stuff it up. If I eventually have a go, now that I have set up my phone ( unlocked it and entered my O2 settings) would I have to do all that again? Thanks again to all, because without the help and advice I gained from here it would still be in the box.

I will use the phone for some web surfing, text, E mail (if I can set it up) etc. Are there any ,must have APPs? Downloaded a few. Google maps any good? Another thing that concerns me is everyone else seems really clued in and I feel dumb for asking the questions I do!! Thanks again. Sorry I have posted this here, didnt know where to start

Guest Phoenix Silver
Just registered here - very useful website, thanks to all here and on MSE. Got my OSF last week. On steep learning curve. Looked at deoranging it, but still seems really,really scary. Even with simple how to do guides fraid i am not confident enough to do what is suggested. It all works and currently if it works dont want to stuff it up. If I eventually have a go, now that I have set up my phone ( unlocked it and entered my O2 settings) would I have to do all that again? Thanks again to all, because without the help and advice I gained from here it would still be in the box.

I will use the phone for some web surfing, text, E mail (if I can set it up) etc. Are there any ,must have APPs? Downloaded a few. Google maps any good? Another thing that concerns me is everyone else seems really clued in and I feel dumb for asking the questions I do!! Thanks again. Sorry I have posted this here, didnt know where to start

rockplayer to play avis

poweramp to play mp3s

launcher pro or adw ex to improve your screen

astro file manager or root explorer to browse your phone

widgetsoid for all the useful gadgets in

skyfire for web browsing or opera mini

quick reboot to reboot in the different modes

titanium backup for backups / restores

spare parts for diagnostics

Hi.

If you do install Android 2.2 or another custom ROM, you will loose any settings or apps. Your contacts should be synced with Google Contacts automatically (click here to check) and will be restored once you login to your Google Account on the new ROM. Any data (videos, music, pics etc) will not be touched on the SD card.

As for the o2 settings, download "APN Backup & Restore" from the Market. It will backup all your o2 settings to the SD card. Then, download "APN Backup & Restore" again on your new ROM and you can restore the o2 settings.

Your phone will always remain unlocked now.

Edited by Guest

Guest jwfrank

Your site is GREAT. Thanks. I was having trouble getting my ZTE recognized on Windows XP. I tried a google search, downloaded drivers. None worked until I came to yours. Yours loaded all drivers until I shut down, held the volume up key, and noticed I needed one more driver for "android". I found it in a previous download I had done. My Froyo is MoDaCo r9. maybe that had something to do with it. Anyhow, THANKS

BTW, in build number, what show up is the MoDaCo custom ROM r 9, and not the ZTE build numbers you referenced

Guest Rotmann
Excellent work dude!

I saw your guide and immediately envirofone'd my old piece of crap HTC Magic for £70. I then bought an SF for £99 and installed the debranded 2.1 ROM.

It's running really well, I'm really impressed such a cheap phone could perform so well.

Install a 2.2 and you'll be more impressed.

Guest StevenHarperUK
What will that make 2.3 then? :P

I dunno but the Device I have seen it on boot in 5 seconds - and that's with no lag once its up - no waiting for apps to start.

2.3 is going to be great.

Guest That-Guy
I dunno but the Device I have seen it on boot in 5 seconds - and that's with no lag once its up - no waiting for apps to start.

2.3 is going to be great.

Can't wait, wonder if you will get the same kind of performance on the Blade :P

Guest Jambodave
Stay away from these third party resources & go straight to the 'horses mouth' for assistance.

Here:

http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1554597

Followed your advice today, I wish I had done it days ago, instead of trying to download drivers on to my pc.

Thanks for the heads up bud.

Edited by Jambodave

Thanks for the input guys, I've updated the root article using the safer method.

http://orangesanfrancisco.co.uk/android/ho...isco-zte-blade/

hi i am a nebie to android and am on a steep learning curve i am using the link above and have ran into a problem at the recovery download part were i get the error mentioned and have removed and reinstalled it / recheck that the phone is rooted and still no further , I'm sorry if i am on the wrong page/ section but i am lost as to how to proceed ?

Guest iammack

Quick question. I'm up to point 37 of the 'Install ClockworkMod Recovery' section where I have to wait for the Installing box to disappear. How long does this take? My box has been saying 'Recovery Install: Cancel' for ages now and show no sign of disappearing. I got no error message. I've followed all points up to now with no problems. Any guidance would be appreciated. Cheers.

Update: sorted :P

Edited by iammack

hi i am a nebie to android and am on a steep learning curve i am using the link above and have ran into a problem at the recovery download part were i get the error mentioned and have removed and reinstalled it / recheck that the phone is rooted and still no further , I'm sorry if i am on the wrong page/ section but i am lost as to how to proceed ?

Hi, I just updated the link to Sebastian404's latest Recovery Manager v0.34. Follow the guide again and see if it works.

Guest ronc2000

Re: ClockworkMOD

Is the tinyurl.com/clocknow the latest? i.e. updated from time to time?

If so should the md5 not be changed too?

By latest would it be the 3.0.06, or are there diffferent type (and procedures) of ClockworkMod?

Re: ClockworkMOD

Is the tinyurl.com/clocknow the latest? i.e. updated from time to time?

If so should the md5 not be changed too?

By latest would it be the 3.0.06, or are there diffferent type (and procedures) of ClockworkMod?

Updated to 3.0.0.6 and the MD5 info and pics. I held off updating for a while as 2.5.1.8 worked with most ROMs. All the new ROMs work with 3.0.0.6 now.

I am planning to install custom rom in mine, following your guide, but before I do that, I want to back up orange's stock rom (in case I need to send it back to orange under warranty). So how do I back up the stock rom? using clockwork?

thanks!

I am planning to install custom rom in mine, following your guide, but before I do that, I want to back up orange's stock rom (in case I need to send it back to orange under warranty). So how do I back up the stock rom? using clockwork?

thanks!

Hi. Yea, do a full backup using ClockworkMod.

Alternatively, you can just reinstall the stock ROM using ClockworkMod Recovery. Just choose the stock ROM on Page 4.

Edited by Guest

Quick question. I'm up to point 37 of the 'Install ClockworkMod Recovery' section where I have to wait for the Installing box to disappear. How long does this take? My box has been saying 'Recovery Install: Cancel' for ages now and show no sign of disappearing. I got no error message. I've followed all points up to now with no problems. Any guidance would be appreciated. Cheers.

Update: sorted :huh:

Try reinstalling Recovery Manager.

Guest goodfella123

Really good guide but i need some help.

I followed the guide, but my phone will not boot into recovery mode when i hold volume down and turn back on.

Any ideas?

Guest ronc2000
Really good guide but i need some help.

I followed the guide, but my phone will not boot into recovery mode when i hold volume down and turn back on.

Any ideas?

Have you tried again? - do it once more from the beginning as if you have not done it before.