[APP] Recovery Manager v0.36 [BETA]

Guest Sebastian404

Guest targetbsp

What it might be trying to tell you is that you don't have clockwork installed (or have an unrecognised version of it). I was getting the same errors from using an older build of clockwork (if you look in the clockwork thread there are multiple builds of the same version). And obviously it can;t do anything if it thinks you don't have clockwork.

Actually, I should probably point that out as a bug to Sebastian! It complains about not having custom firmware when it should be complaining about not having clockwork (in v 0.29 at least. As I updated clockwork in 0.29 I can't say what 0.32 does)

Edited by targetbsp

Guest rockshu
What it might be trying to tell you is that you don't have clockwork installed (or have an unrecognised version of it). I was getting the same errors from using an older build of clockwork (if you look in the clockwork thread there are multiple builds of the same version). And obviously it can;t do anything if it thinks you don't have clockwork.

Actually, I should probably point that out as a bug to Sebastian! It complains about not having custom firmware when it should be complaining about not having clockwork (in v 0.29 at least. As I updated clockwork in 0.29 I can't say what 0.32 does)

yes clockwork says unrecognized version. i have tried both o.29b and 0.32 b now. again, twice.

so which one should i download now??

please advise.

Guest rockshu
You need to get Recovery Manager to put on a version of clockwork for you before you can do anything with roms.

Follow this guide: http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...-the-zte-blade/

Though obviously you've already done the bit about putting on recovery manager. But follow the rest of it carefully. :P

thank you and really appreciate your help.

i have been following that guide word to work.

as i mentioned in the posts above, when after installing recovery manager i have tried installing all kinds of clockwork o.29b, o.32 b etc but everytime recovery manager says unrecognized, after installing that is. currently installed recovery: unrecognized (precisely is the message)

does that mean clockwork is installed? should i go about doign the power/volume button down thing? although it failed before when i did it.

Edited by rockshu

Guest Sebastian404

if you use recovery manager to install the recovery image it should recognize it.... unless your using a newer version, in which case you need to update the application's database... press menu and then pick the refresh option, it will update its database to recognize the latest version.

and yes the file is a zip, and inside there is an APK.

I'm not sure why OSX is unpacking it twice, I don't have that problem and I use OSX.

i have tried installing all kinds of clockwork o.29b, o.32 b etc but everytime recovery manager

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it sounds like you're trying to install another recovery manager with recovery manager and not clockwork at all.

Guest rockshu
if you use recovery manager to install the recovery image it should recognize it.... unless your using a newer version, in which case you need to update the application's database... press menu and then pick the refresh option, it will update its database to recognize the latest version.

and yes the file is a zip, and inside there is an APK.

I'm not sure why OSX is unpacking it twice, I don't have that problem and I use OSX.

sebastian thanks for your reply.

i am really getting nuts now!! i have installed recovery manager 0.29 b again via astro file manager.

i go to recovery tab and click install recovery, get the 2.5.1.8 , click ok..but still the bottom message says unrecognized after installing. it does not have the name of the img file as show in the video on the guide.

please help. there is something going on. i am pretty sure i have downloaded and followed everything correctly.

md5's are fine.

Guest rockshu
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it sounds like you're trying to install another recovery manager with recovery manager and not clockwork at all.

that was a typo. i meant i have tried isntallign 2.5.1.8, 3.0.0.1 and whatever the numbers are with the reocovery managerds 0.29b and 0.32b but everytime i get the message unrecognized.

Guest rockshu
also anychance i can try OLDER clockwork img files?? maybe they might work with the recovery manager???

please reply , many thanks.

ok now i have tried 2.5.1.3 and 2.5.0.9 --still same message -unrecognized.

Guest targetbsp

Makes sense. The clockwork I was using was 2.5.1.8 put on with fastboot. Still the error message should be changed shouldn't it? Unless it already has in 0.32. basically whenever you try to do anything on the firmware screen with an unrecognised clockwork it tells you you need a custom rom - when it should surely be telling you that you need clockwork?

Guest Sebastian404
Makes sense. The clockwork I was using was 2.5.1.8 put on with fastboot. Still the error message should be changed shouldn't it? Unless it already has in 0.32. basically whenever you try to do anything on the firmware screen with an unrecognised clockwork it tells you you need a custom rom - when it should surely be telling you that you need clockwork?

The 'problem' is that if you flash your recovery image using fastboot, it only writes the image, it does not format the recovery partition first. so if you had a larger recovery on there, and then installed a custom (smaller) recovery over the top of it, the end of the original recovery would still be on the partition... and so recovery manager would not be able to recognize what you have... recovery manager formats the whole partition before writing it, the 'preferred' way to get your recovery recognized is to install using recovery manager.

Your right about that error message

<string name="alert_dialog_firmware_backup_notcustom">You need to install a custom firmware before you can back up your Firmware!</string>

that should say custom RECOVERY ... I'll fix that in the next version

Guest Sebastian404
ok now i have tried 2.5.1.3 and 2.5.0.9 --still same message -unrecognized.

did you install the recovery using Recovery Manager?

Have you updated the applications Database?

What device are you using? and where did you get it?

Guest deadphill

Guys

Just a reminder, please if you have just thought of something to add, please edit your previous post rather than creating mutliple posts one after the other. I dont need to explain to you why, Im sure you can all work out it looks awful otherwise!!! :P

Cheers

Phill

Guest rockshu
did you install the recovery using Recovery Manager?

Have you updated the applications Database?

What device are you using? and where did you get it?

ok apologies guys for the multiple threads last night, i really wanted to get it done, sadly couldn't. and then slept -- no froyo dreams! :P

So to answer all of your queries:

i bought an orange san francisco - about 4-5 months ago via orange uk website. still using stock rom 2.1 eclair , although removed orange apps using titanium app after rooting.

i finally decided to install a custom froyo rom and chose jj for that. the guide seemed helpful and also the video so i thought this would be a sail. unfortunately not.

so i downloaded, jj,recovery manager, clockwork img. i already had undroot installed so rooted my phone.installed all in a folder on sd card.

then after initial trouble managed to install recovery manager(mac playing up, see previous posts).

once recovery manager 0.32b was installed i tried installing clockwork img 2.5.... gave the unrecognized message , still proceeded but obviously phone won't boot up for installing the rom.

so went back and reinstalled recovery manager , this time 0.29 b , installed clockwork img 2.5, 3.0 . still that unrecognized message. even updated the database which can only be done on 0.32 b by using the MENU button .

so i have reinstalled recovery managers, latest and old clockwork img's---everytime getting unrecognized message.

so i am stuck . PLEASE HELP.

all files are md5 checked!!

Any info on how to uninstall all "recovery" --clockwork img files that might beinstalled and then install manager again and try installing clockwork img again -- ????

i have also noticed that both recovery manager(0.29 b and 0.32 B ) file versions(astro>file >openappmanager>file details) has file version 0.23 which is mentioned just below the install button.

i really know what i am doing and talking about. i have followed all steps carefully. something is definitely wrong.

Edited by rockshu

Guest rockshu
Seriously? 4 posts in a row? you even quote yourself?

mate i was answering questions from others. and posting myself was to ascertain the fact that i really wanted to get this done, it was pretty late at night, so kindly excuse. :P

Guest rockshu
Thats why they invented the edit button.

They warned you a post ago and you did double post right after it

oh dear, what are you, some kind of bully? Trust me, i have seen enough people like you perish in obsoleteness. So stop teaching others and learn forum etiquettes yourself, first.

all i did was reply to YOUR post and did not want to contaminate MY post which was purely answering sebastian and other people's query on what i was actually doing to have caused the error.

and i am not replying to any of your posts hereafter. i have enough froyo headache already.

http://tinyurl.com/639s7xj [this might help you]

have a good day!

Edited by rockshu

Hmm...got a problem here. Installed R8a with clockwork 2.5.1.8, recovery manager 0.23b and and rooted with universalandroot 1.6.1. Started doing the installation which seems to have gone ok but the device doesnt boot back up - I've got the color-burst 'X' animation. Its been going for at least 20 minutes...any ideas? :P

Cheers

Guest rockshu

Finally, went the old way and installed via Fastboot.

that seemed to work.

issue with rom manager still stands -- can i use rom manager to update etc once this boots into froyo?? or will i have to use manual method everytime?

also apps2sd seems missing. do i have to do something special like the ext3 partition ? can i do it after installation? any links or any info will be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks.

Guest rockshu
Hmm...got a problem here. Installed R8a with clockwork 2.5.1.8, recovery manager 0.23b and and rooted with universalandroot 1.6.1. Started doing the installation which seems to have gone ok but the device doesnt boot back up - I've got the color-burst 'X' animation. Its been going for at least 20 minutes...any ideas? :P

Cheers

Hello mate.

i assume u might have already done this but worth asking.

u definitely saw the install complete message. did u wipe the cache and data??

worth doing it before rebooting your phone again.

cheers

Guest Sebastian404
i really know what i am doing and talking about. i have followed all steps carefully. something is definitely wrong.

• Download v0.34beta from the first page.
  • Install it to your device.
  • Download ClockworkMod 3.0.0.5
  • Install is using Recovery Manager
  • In the application press MENU and then 'Debug'.
  • Post here what it says