Lost settings after reboot

Guest Kalle Falter

Guest Kalle Falter

Hi there,

since a few weeks I have the weird problem, that after a reboot or turning on the phone again the following settings are changed as follows: WLAN is now on, automatic brightness is off, volumes are different and the display timeout is 30sec. Any idea what is causing this?

A "wipe all"-answer is not appreciated, as this is something i can figure out myself and does not lead to the bottom of the problem. ;)

I'm using MCR r5 btw....

Cheers...

Guest ptruman
Hi there,

since a few weeks I have the weird problem, that after a reboot or turning on the phone again the following settings are changed as follows: WLAN is now on, automatic brightness is off, volumes are different and the display timeout is 30sec. Any idea what is causing this?

A "wipe all"-answer is not appreciated, as this is something i can figure out myself and does not lead to the bottom of the problem. ;)

I'm using MCR r5 btw....

Cheers...

Sadly, I suspect a wipe is probably the only answer, unless you want to remove all/any apps you added post flash.

Think about it logically, a phone is a device with access to volatile and non-volatile memory. MOST (I believe) Android devices remember the 'state' they were in when you reboot, so if your WiFi was on, it should be when you reboot. If it's not, it's because it's told not to be.

So, if your states are changing, logically only one or more of the following can be causing it :

1) Issue with where variables are stored (i.e. changes to config are not being saved to a non-volatile area - this could be *nix file permissions or a memory issue)

2) Problem with bootup scripts (bootup sets everything as it's told, and if that is corrupt or didn't 'clear' after initial setup...)

3) You have an app (like JuiceDefender) which is changing device states for you, and possibly is confused

Android can do 'odd' things with duff config, as I've seen myself - tweaking the wifi configs by hand/script and getting them wrong can result in a wifi which cannot start/stop, and toggles states. Personally, I'd seriously try installing/running Titanium Backup, backing up all your apps/data, doing a nandroid backup for good measure, and wipe & reflash, then restore your apps one by one.

Also, I got the auto-brightness issue (it turned itself off quite often) with r5 - and I can only presume an app is changing it somewhere. It doesn't happen on other ROMs I've tried.

Guest Kalle Falter

Of course I was hoping for something more specific, like this app, or those startup scripts, etc. But really thank you for your detailed answer. Though you basically just wrote down the knowledge I already have, sometimes it's good to reflect.

After a full wipe I switched to VillainROM 12, just to rule out MCR. I restored all my apps with TB at once, not one by one as I have a life besides my phone, and now I have the same problem with VillainROM. Now I deinstalled a lot of apps I hardly use, still the same effect. At least I could narrow it down to most probably not beeing the rom, more likely an app or some config/script that maybe came with an app and that maybe did not clean up correctly with the deinstallation of the app. Directly after startup, when PIN is entered, settings are like before the reboot. Then, during the next minute when widgets are loading, it suddenly turns on WLAN again and restores the other settings mentioned.

I'll postpone further investigation until I have the time and leisure for it... or maybe another hint will be posted here?

Guest ptruman
Of course I was hoping for something more specific, like this app, or those startup scripts, etc. But really thank you for your detailed answer. Though you basically just wrote down the knowledge I already have, sometimes it's good to reflect.

After a full wipe I switched to VillainROM 12, just to rule out MCR. I restored all my apps with TB at once, not one by one as I have a life besides my phone, and now I have the same problem with VillainROM. Now I deinstalled a lot of apps I hardly use, still the same effect. At least I could narrow it down to most probably not beeing the rom, more likely an app or some config/script that maybe came with an app and that maybe did not clean up correctly with the deinstallation of the app. Directly after startup, when PIN is entered, settings are like before the reboot. Then, during the next minute when widgets are loading, it suddenly turns on WLAN again and restores the other settings mentioned.

I'll postpone further investigation until I have the time and leisure for it... or maybe another hint will be posted here?

Did you check the settings worked before you restored the apps? :lol:

You can download autostarts to see what apps fire on what events, but given they all different permissions/configs, short of installing them one by one, it's going to be a pig to find.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kalle Falter

autostarts... ! That was the kind of app I was looking for, thanks for this. I could resolve the problem first hand with it. It seems it was caused by... well it was so obvious, but I think I ruled it out before but can't remember for what reason: toggle settings.

Finally I can sleep again :P