A full guide to getting Android 2.2 on your phone for total newbs like me :)

Guest mistermentality

Guest AerospaceMango
Can someone please tell me

Seems to be working ok....

I installed on friday night, and all seems well, except..............

Is anyone else having problems with 3g? Not sure if it's working!

Just ignore my post, haha

Only problem I've had thus far is SD card being "damaged" for some reason. Running chkdsk + format in windows to see if it fixes!

Edited by Sp1337

Guest Maplefreak12345

Will i still be able to call people even if i use a European ROM, So say i live in the US or AUS and i install this ROM, will i still be able to call/sms friends, and will they be able to call me?

Now you want to download this file: Flashing CyanogenMod.zip and extract it to a folder called 'Android' (without the quotes '') on the C: drive (you'll probably need to make this folder yourself.

Where i can find this CyanogenMod.zip to download

Guest inspectorgecko
Now you want to download this file: Flashing CyanogenMod.zip and extract it to a folder called 'Android' (without the quotes '') on the C: drive (you'll probably need to make this folder yourself.

Where i can find this CyanogenMod.zip to download

If you type "flashing cyanogenmod.zip" into a Google search, it is the top result hosted on mediafire, inside the zip file is all the bits you need and the instructions for installation, hope this helps :P I updated a while back and it works perfectly with the exception of fm radio, also it is able to be over clocked to 787 safely.

Ryan

Edited by inspectorgecko

Thanks for detailed tutorial, but still...i don't know. Software update (KDZ) won't recognize my phone. I'm getting message "PHONE WAS NOT FOUND".

I have rooted 2.1 android (from official update).

Guest mistermentality
im getting a bootloop after carrying out the first part of the instructions to enable fastboot....only the android logo is there..pls helpp!

I found the phone would reboot in a loop when connected via usb if I tried to switch it off while still connected by usb. But if not connected by usb at this point I think maybe you missed out a fastboot command.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ragnar soa

when i was installing europe open+fastboot installation crashed.

1TYPE_WPARAM_PROGRESSIVE_POS=5 TYPE=205 lParam(pos)=132 nResult=0

[14:08:42:263] : Error Read in WaitRsp

[14:08:42:263] : Sending Pkt Seq : 7575

[14:08:42:355] : Error Read in WaitRsp

[14:08:42:355] : Sending Pkt Seq : 7576

[14:08:42:355] : Clear

[14:08:42:355] : WM_COPYDATA øŽ½ĆĮö ŗø³æ 3 - Close Port

[14:08:42:355] : Close Port<<

[14:08:42:355] : [COM14] ERROR Dl_AsyncWrite() TYPE_LPARAM_UPGRADE_ERROR_WRITE_TO_FLASH

[14:08:42:355] : TYPE_WPARAM_UPGRADE_ERROR

[14:08:42:356] : øŽ½ĆĮö ŗø³æ - TYPE_WPARAM_UPGRADE_ERROR Error Code = 4008

[14:08:42:425] : Log finished

So i brick'd my gt540

All it does is looping LG logo

I am able to boot into fastboot (i guess)

hollding down camera and powering phone up.

Lg logo appears and disappears, screen is black and backlight illuminates.

But if i connect it trough usb, my computer doesn't recognise eany device.

Using win 7. ultimate

eany help?

Guest mistermentality
when i was installing europe open+fastboot installation crashed.

1TYPE_WPARAM_PROGRESSIVE_POS=5 TYPE=205 lParam(pos)=132 nResult=0

[14:08:42:263] : Error Read in WaitRsp

[14:08:42:263] : Sending Pkt Seq : 7575

[14:08:42:355] : Error Read in WaitRsp

[14:08:42:355] : Sending Pkt Seq : 7576

[14:08:42:355] : Clear

[14:08:42:355] : WM_COPYDATA øŽ½ĆĮö ŗø³æ 3 - Close Port

[14:08:42:355] : Close Port<<

[14:08:42:355] : [COM14] ERROR Dl_AsyncWrite() TYPE_LPARAM_UPGRADE_ERROR_WRITE_TO_FLASH

[14:08:42:355] : TYPE_WPARAM_UPGRADE_ERROR

[14:08:42:356] : øŽ½ĆĮö ŗø³æ - TYPE_WPARAM_UPGRADE_ERROR Error Code = 4008

[14:08:42:425] : Log finished

So i brick'd my gt540

All it does is looping LG logo

I am able to boot into fastboot (i guess)

hollding down camera and powering phone up.

Lg logo appears and disappears, screen is black and backlight illuminates.

But if i connect it trough usb, my computer doesn't recognise eany device.

Using win 7. ultimate

eany help?

It looks like you had an error with your pc speaking to the phone. If you are booting into fastboot mode, try following the commands for the fastboot section and when the dos prompt says waiting for device reinstall the fastboot drivers that were attached to this post.

Someone more experienced can probably diagnose the error better but it does seem the error was on writing to the phone itself. You haven't bricked it though, I and others have had the reboot logo loop and it isa good sign as it means your phone is working and trying to start but usually means that there is no rom installed so it resets again (something like when a pc has no hard drive to boot from so you just get an error message).

Dave

Guest aquilinux

nice howto! i'm up and running with 2.2.1 thanks!!!!

btw, i did a contacts backup with mybackup root... can i safely restore contacts to the phone?

for apps, i think i'd reinstall them :huh:

thanks again.

Guest ilovelg
nice howto! i'm up and running with 2.2.1 thanks!!!!

btw, i did a contacts backup with mybackup root... can i safely restore contacts to the phone?

for apps, i think i'd reinstall them :huh:

thanks again.

Why go 2.2 when you can go 2.3.2 which is working even better then 2.2 on our phones O.o

Guest ragnar soa
but i got another one.

Phone doesn't recognise/mount sd or sd hc card

This seems to be quite common error.

I've been looking all ower of forums. And there's. Hundreds of people's out there. All with same Issue on various devices. But, I haven't seen a solution.

Can someone help please?

Guest Weed.Gr

Hi there i follow your guide but my phone after kdz update almost finish my phone reboot and stuck in download mode and update failed..

What i am doing wrong? can anyone help with this problem?

Guest ragnar soa
Hi there i follow your guide but my phone after kdz update almost finish my phone reboot and stuck in download mode and update failed..

What i am doing wrong? can anyone help with this problem?

if you are able to boot into fastboot mode,

feel free continiue fastboot steps

Guest Sunshine!
if you are able to boot into fastboot mode,

feel free continiue fastboot steps

my problem is:

i update phone with KDZ updater, after all it says finished. but i just can't get in to fastboot.

can someone help me with that?

i can only use open europe cuz the car...... kdz is error extracting @ kdz updater.

some help would be great!

Hum, I have problems downloading, or unpacking or something, the zip archives. What've you guys used to download and extract them with? I've tried FF and IE for downloading and 7-zip, WinRAR and Windows' built-in. All this on both 32- and 64-bit W7. It only say it's empty all the time.

Edit: Got it to work - no clue why though :huh: Ah well, thanks a lot for providing this bundle!

Edited by Corran

Guest baazellbub
With help from people on here, and with some reference from a very useful guide I found on another forum, I finally have 2.2 working sweet and the cpu over clocked.I have had a fair few problems so for those fellow newbs who dare to try it I shall post the guide along with my own added info on what to do if things go wrong.

The guide is from a forum post at the android forums,it is NOT my work, the added bits are mostly what I have found from browsing here and from asking questions. While I can't be held liable if you mess your phone up having done so myself I thought this could helpa few people and save them searching various threads for answers so hope it helps :huh:

The guide

To install this ROM you need to have fastboot enabled on your phone. If you have Android 1.6/2.1 installed from LG, then fastboot is not enabled. I will explain how to enable fastboot on your phone (this involves re-flashing/replacing your currently installed firmware):

KDZ Updater CarphoneWarehouse Unlocked.zip - A link to a zip archive with all the files needed to flash to Android version 2.1 with fastboot (Carphone Warehouse Unlocked)

KDZ Updater Europe Open.zip - A link to a zip archive with all the files needed to flash toAndroid version 2.1 with fastboot (Europe Open)

Download the version that best applies to you, if you live in the UK, I'd recommend you download the Carphone Warehouse Unlocked version, whereas if you live in Europe, I'd recommend the Europe Open version (simple right? )

I live in the UK and used the open rom from Europe as the Carphone Warehouse rom would not install

Now, how to flash these versions; I'll explain in detail how to flash the ROM's from starting with backing up.

Instructions to install ROM with Fastboot:

1. Before you start, make sure you backup all your data by installing the z4root.1.3.0.apk file onto your phone, then open it and choose 'Permanent Root'. Your phone will root and reboot. Then go to the Market and install 'MyBackup Root', open it and do a backup of your apps and personal data (contacts, sms, call log etc.) Once this is done, go to Settings>SD Card and Phone Storage>Unmount SD Card, a notification in the notification bar should appear saying 'SD Card safe to remove'. Remove the battery cover and remove the SD card and store it in a safe place. Then continue to step 2.

2. Extract the .zip file you downloaded to your computer (e.g. your desktop). Open the folder and install MSXML 4.0 SP3 Parser (msxml.msi).

3. Once that has finished, install LGAndroidDriver_WHQL_ML_Ver1.0_All_Win7.exe which are the drivers so your computer will recognize your phone.

4. Next, open KDZ_FW_UPD.exe

(i) Change 'Type' to '3GQCT' *THIS IS A MUST, THE UPDATE WILL NOT WORK OTHERWISE AND YOU MAY BRICK YOUR PHONE*

(ii) Make sure 'PhoneMode' is set to 'DIAG'

(iii) Browse for the 'V20B_00+Fastboot.kdz' file.

5. Prepare the phone by enabling USB Debugging by going to Settings>Applications>Development>Enable USB Debugging and connect the phone to the computer via USB cable and wait for the drivers to install for the phone.

6. Click 'Launch software update' and do not use your computer until the update is complete. The update will take roughly 10-20 mins to complete.

If you have a problem with this try a different rom, this guide offers two to choose from.

Instructions to install CyanogenMod:

Once the update is complete, your phone will reboot, what you need to do is power off the phone and whilst the phone is off, press and hold the 'Camera' button all the way ANDpower on the phone, make sure you hold the 'Camera' button. The phone will display the LG logo and disappear, then display a blank screen. The phone is now in fastboot mode!

1. Now open CMD with administrator privileges (Search for CMD in the start menu and right click on 'cmd' and click 'Run as Administrator' )

2. Connect the phone to your computer via USB cable and wait for the necessary drivers to install.

If when connected with a usb cable the computer says "waiting for device" and nothing else happens try installing the fastboot drivers a helpful forum member posted and which are included as an attachment in this post. You can do this by going to the control panel of your pc, from the Windows start menu, opening the list of devices and where you see the one representing your phone (likely, as was the case with me, it will say android and have a yellow exclamation mark over it). Different versions of Windows do things slightly different but what you need to do is simply update the driver by choosing the icons properties box choosing UPDATE or INSTALL DRIVER and when asked pointing it to the folder where you unzipped the drivers.

3. Then go back to the cmd window and type:

Code:

cd C:\Android

(i) Then type:

Code:

fastboot.exe -w

(ii) Once that's completed, type:

Code:

fastboot.exe erase system

(iii) Once that's completed, type:

Code:

fastboot.exe flash system system.img

(iv) Once that's completed, type:

Code:

fastboot.exe flash boot boot.img

(v) Once that's completed, type:

Code:

fastboot.exe reboot

4. Your phone will now reboot with CyanogenMod 6.1.1 (Android 2.2.1). The first boot might take longer than a normal boot.

If your phone stays at a blank screen you simply forgot to do one of the above steps, in which case simply repeat them. It is likely if that happens that you simply forgot the flash boot image instruction.

5. You can now re-insert your SD card and go to Settings>SD Card and Phone Storage>Mount SD Card

Enjoy!

The instructions for flashing both the firmware with fastboot and flashing CyanogenMod are included in the zip archives called 'Readme'. I'll update the links so that you'll always have the most up to date version of CyanogenMod available for download, note that if you choose to update your phone you will loose all your data including apps etc. so backup before you update

And that, with a few comments added by myself, is the guide.

Once you have set your phone up the way you want power off your phone. Hold the HOME and POWER buttons down while the LG logo appears and you will see a menu appear on screen.

Using the volume down key to navigate the different menu choices, and the camera button to select an option choose the BACKUP OR RESTORE option and from the sub menu that it will give you choose BACKUP.

This will make a backup of your phone AND all your data, if you ever mess up an update or think you have damaged your phone in the future simply holdthe POWER and HOME buttons down and when the menu appears choose the RESTORE option :)

I did everything till fastbooting, when im doing fastboot flash system system.img it says fail bla bla too many links;

so then i bricked the phone i think, but i re install the europe + fastboot and got my phone to work on 2.1;

now i dont know what the problem is, it may be the command fastboot erase; or maybe that im working on 64 bit win 7; I realy dont know. please help if you can

Guest jonoh

hey, thanks for the post, everything worked :)

my only problem now is that my internet doesnt work (wifi is fine, just service provider internet) and how can this be fixed, im currantly in australia, on virgin mobile.

thanks so much for the update, and the guide :huh:

Guest inspectorgecko
hey, thanks for the post, everything worked :)

my only problem now is that my internet doesnt work (wifi is fine, just service provider internet) and how can this be fixed, im currantly in australia, on virgin mobile.

thanks so much for the update, and the guide :huh:

You need to get the Virgin Mobile APN settings, from h t t p://www.virginmobile.com.au/, search a similar phone to the GT540 and copy the settings manually.

Any queries, contact me

Ryan

Guest TimDroid

Thanks for the guide, and files.

Little warning.. The Fastboot USB driver only seems to be for x86 systems and will not work on x64.

So make sure you have access to a 32bit windows system before starting..

Unless someone knows where to find a x64 version of the Fastboot USB driver.

So far I am loving this Cyanogen stuff.. =)

Guest Optifox

Hi, I've been trying to install the Open rom, but when I get to the stage to launch software update, I get a message ending with.

'phone not found'

--------------------

FINISHED

My phone is in USB Debug mode, and I can go into my phone's flash storage, so why does it say that my phone is not found?

I am very new to all this btw.

Guest LG GT540 Optimus hi

plz plz plz plz help me i did everything but i forgot to write the code:fastboot.exe flash system system.img and after rebooting code it stuck on the lg screen i tried to remove battery but nothing happen plz tell me i can fix it :(