Can all devs join forces?

Guest flatnote31

Guest flatnote31

So, we've had lots and lots and lots of custom ROMs for our little Blades. Each ROM had its own (+)ve's and (-)ve's.

We've also seen updates for each ROM being released on a daily basis.

My point is, why don't Devs join forces and team up. Each can do a specific bit that he's good at and co-ordinate together to put it all in one "Semi-Perfect" ROM :lol:

I won't say the two letters that annoy devs (yes, you guessed right, CM) :)

And, while I'm sure that each of them is capable of making a very good ROM on his own.... I wish to see some team-work :)

Guest Matty-p
So, we've had lots and lots and lots of custom ROMs for our little Blades. Each ROM had its own (+)ve's and (-)ve's.

My point is, why don't Devs join forces and team up. Each can do a specific bit that he's good at and co-ordinate together to put it all in one "Semi-Perfect" ROM :lol:

And, while I'm sure that each of them is capable of making a very good ROM on his own.... I wish to see some team-work :)

this idea in its self has its own (+)ve's and (-)ve's.

Guest StevenHarperUK
ummm, care to explain more? :lol:

I think he is on about diversity.

What is your perfect custom ROM may not be what I want in a perfect custom ROM.

Having many ROM's available means that we may both get our perfect custom rom.

However a good start would be sharing the same GIT hub for KErnel code.

This would prevent all the devs from repeating each others work.

Guest flatnote31
I think he is on about diversity.

What is your perfect custom ROM may not be what I want in a perfect custom ROM.

Having many ROM's available means that we may both get our perfect custom rom.

Can never have a "perfect" rom :lol: there's nothing as such... even plain vanilla Android released for a Nexus is by no means perfect...

My point was to get one or two ROMS that have no performance issues.... and then "customization" can follow... like what Frankish did, theming all ROMS :)

Guest StevenHarperUK
My point was to get one or two ROMS that have no performance issues....

Some people would say a short battery life is a performance issue - but I like my phone overclocked

Others would say the lack of overclock is a performance issue.

I agree less bugs is a great thing.

And most of the REAL bugs exist at the kernel level.

Fixing these is much more of a Science than fixing ROMS - they are more preference.

Asking for a ROM that is near perfect is like asking for a cheese that is near perfect.

I bet you don't like the same cheese I do.

Guest fonix232

And what about creating an on-line kitchen (like the MoDaCo one) where the user can put together his/her ROM? All devs make mods, to ONE ROM (of course there may be more, separated by base like Chinese, Japanese, Swedish, Hungarian, Greek, etc), and all of them (with descriptions, etc) are listed on the kitchen. N00B user goes online, selects what he needs, and voilá, perfect ROM for everyone.

Guest StevenHarperUK
And what about creating an on-line kitchen (like the MoDaCo one) where the user can put together his/her ROM? All devs make mods, to ONE ROM (of course there may be more, separated by base like Chinese, Japanese, Swedish, Hungarian, Greek, etc), and all of them (with descriptions, etc) are listed on the kitchen. N00B user goes online, selects what he needs, and voilá, perfect ROM for everyone.

Yes - and it auto selects the kernel built (from the same source) but with the right build options.

Guest vitroid
Can never have a "perfect" rom :lol: there's nothing as such... even plain vanilla Android released for a Nexus is by no means perfect...

My point was to get one or two ROMS that have no performance issues.... and then "customization" can follow... like what Frankish did, theming all ROMS :)

Oh, but we do have perfect ROMs, every wednesday in fact.

Guest t0mm13b

I believe I did mention about this topic under a different thread to have one unified github tree for the kernel and the branches for each of the roms.... :lol:

Edited by t0mm13b

Guest Matty-p
I believe I did mention about this topic under a different thread to have one unified github tree for the kernel and the branches for each of the roms.... :lol:

yup great idea- check out the thread guys

Guest hecatae

are you looking for a semi perfect rom base, with the basic system apps jointly developed and then it's upto the user to decide what they want included?

Guest vareBlade

Many people's work > 1 person's work. You guyz could create a team and make a great rom for every use.

Something like Cyanogen mod but for Blade. Bladyanogen mod o.O

And if you guyz need help with graphics, call me

Edited by vareBlade

Guest Arr Too

To be fair, I think the prominent developers here are all doing the right thing, for both us and themselves. It's great for them to have the skills to be able to modify a ROM and fix lots of problems; it's great that they kindly share those ROMs with us and also offer an enormous amount of very time-consuming support; it's great that there's a modicum of 'competition' in whose is the best (and lots of fans of each one!). But what's best of all is seeing the respect, cooperation and sharing of fixes. Makes me feel all warm and cuddly about the future of the Open Source approach.

Guest t0mm13b
To be fair, I think the prominent developers here are all doing the right thing, for both us and themselves. It's great for them to have the skills to be able to modify a ROM and fix lots of problems; it's great that they kindly share those ROMs with us and also offer an enormous amount of very time-consuming support; it's great that there's a modicum of 'competition' in whose is the best (and lots of fans of each one!). But what's best of all is seeing the respect, cooperation and sharing of fixes. Makes me feel all warm and cuddly about the future of the Open Source approach.

I am not 100% sure if you're being genuine or sarcastic here....

Sure competition is great, there's always a BIG BUT

the fragmentation of the kernel sources, I am talking here specifically the kernel sources, not the roms,

• One set of sources is used by Japanese jellyfish
  • Another set is used by FillyJonk
  • Another set by Customized Bladevillain
  • And so on... need I go on.... :lol:

The problem is the fragmentation, that's the keyword....

How many different kernel sources are there in github by those ROMs...?

That's the part where I think you do not fully understand the implications....

The question is, are those devs willing to share it, it is not exactly open source per se....the fixes are in isolation....

This can be easily confirmed and checked by looking at the config.gz found in the /proc filesystem, try matching that configuration with the official line of the 2.6.32-9 kernel sources....

There's too many 2.6.32-9 kernel sources lying around, some with patches, some with fixes, others are naked sources...

An encouragement is needed, to be brave, to envision a real mofo of a modaco rom, that unifies ALL and to be the #1 ROM for the blade.... :)

Edited by t0mm13b

Guest t0mm13b

I would like also, to add my thoughts to this, the real problem, is the variation of the handsets, in which ZTE are not exactly upfront about...hence the diversification of different kernel sources....

This is not about "forcing" or trying to side with one ROM "just because it is better than the others",

its about being a lot more open, in the spirit of open source, unfortunately, ZTE chose to cut off the corners there in relation to the drivers despite them releasing the sources....

Any thoughts?

Guest Arr Too
An encouragement is needed, to be brave, to envision a real mofo of a modaco rom, that unifies ALL and to be the #1 ROM for the blade....

There's no guarantee of that at all. It's very naive to think you just throw the bits together and expect to make some sort of Super ROM, especially since we have all sorts of different bases, RILs and higher-level apps. That's not our fault: that's ZTE's (and the restrictions placed on them). But where there are common problems with common solutions, I'm sure that none of our devs is going to keep any of them secret.

Guest t0mm13b
There's no guarantee of that at all. It's very naive to think you just throw the bits together and expect to make some sort of Super ROM, especially since we have all sorts of different bases, RILs and higher-level apps. That's not our fault: that's ZTE's (and the restrictions placed on them). But where there are common problems with common solutions, I'm sure that none of our devs is going to keep any of them secret.

I know, and am not being naive either... see the previous postings to yours... :)

+1 as I agree there, terrible eh that ZTE are not being "forthcoming".... :lol:

Thanks Arr Too :)

Guest isambard
I am not 100% sure if you're being genuine or sarcastic here....

Sure competition is great, there's always a BIG BUT

the fragmentation of the kernel sources, I am talking here specifically the kernel sources, not the roms,

• One set of sources is used by Japanese jellyfish
  • Another set is used by FillyJonk
  • Another set by Customized Bladevillain
  • And so on... need I go on.... :lol:

The problem is the fragmentation, that's the keyword....

How many different kernel sources are there in github by those ROMs...?

That's the part where I think you do not fully understand the implications....

The question is, are those devs willing to share it, it is not exactly open source per se....the fixes are in isolation....

This can be easily confirmed and checked by looking at the config.gz found in the /proc filesystem, try matching that configuration with the official line of the 2.6.32-9 kernel sources....

There's too many 2.6.32-9 kernel sources lying around, some with patches, some with fixes, others are naked sources...

An encouragement is needed, to be brave, to envision a real mofo of a modaco rom, that unifies ALL and to be the #1 ROM for the blade.... :)

fragmentation of the kernel is not an issue. the kernel is GPL so any changes that are made and distributed, the source needs to be provided.

there's nothing to stop someone from taking all the roms and unifying them or cataloging the changes or building a 'kitchen' to allow others to pick and choose their changes.

Guest t0mm13b
fragmentation of the kernel is not an issue. the kernel is GPL so any changes that are made and distributed, the source needs to be provided.

there's nothing to stop someone from taking all the roms and unifying them or cataloging the changes or building a 'kitchen' to allow others to pick and choose their changes.

Sure, we all know the kernel is GPL BUT, and I think you're wrong there isambard...

I hate to nit-pick but read section 6 of the GPL, specifically,

6. Conveying Non-Source Forms.

You may convey a covered work in object code form under the terms of sections 4 and 5, provided that you also convey the machine-readable Corresponding Source under the terms of this License, in one of these ways:

a) Convey the object code in, or embodied in, a physical product (including a physical distribution medium), accompanied by the Corresponding Source fixed on a durable physical medium customarily used for software interchange.

and this hammers the point home...

Where is the fixes/patches etc available, why the shroud of secrecy about it?!!!! :lol:

Guest IronDoc
Sure, we all know the kernel is GPL BUT, and I think you're wrong there isambard...

I hate to nit-pick but read section 6 of the GPL, specifically,

and this hammers the point home...

Where is the fixes/patches etc available, why the shroud of secrecy about it?!!!! :lol:

Have you asked them for the fixes?

Edited by IronDoc

Guest t0mm13b
Have you asked them for the fixes?

Who's "them" you refer to? The ROM makers..

why is there no github tree for the sources anywhere... this, is where github comes in, have the main trunk for 2.6.32, let the rom makers upload the patches and fixes available for anyone....they should be available for anyone to use...? why holding on to it and not distribute them and expected to be asked?

Distributing a ROM without the sources....

Surely that is a breach of the GPL

:lol:

Edited by t0mm13b