About Android beta

Guest blue1zz

Guest blue1zz

Is there anyone who succeed in porting android beta on i920?

I saw tons of people who succeed in porting on i8000 and that worked way better than I expected.

So I tried severel times but when I used new zImage which was in android beta tool, I stuck on jumping to kernel

and when I used the Image which was used in android alpha pack for i920, the error message said 'can not find sd card no such device or wrong address'

I guess the difference of CDMA hardware and WCDMA hardware is the reason but I don't know what to do.

Anybody struggling to port android beta on i920?

Edited by blue1zz

Guest the sandman

Same here. The alpha version worked for me but beta version keeps getting stuck on "jumping to kernel". I really hope someone gets this working for our i920's

Guest sonicfrequency

Is it even possible (without a ton of coding) to port over the omnia2droid project?

I have the i920 and tried both the 512 and 1024 bit Android zip from Almar and Sandor. I too freeze at jumping to kernel. I'm guessing since this is CDMA and the i8000 is GSM, this would require alot of work.

Guest nickmo20

Hey any word? @Sandman was it a huge difference from alpha to beta? maybe we could redo something to get it to work! I'm on i920 now, as of barely 24 hrs ago! Still hanging at the *Hub too! I will be contributing as much as I can for i920's!

Guest the sandman
Hey any word? @Sandman was it a huge difference from alpha to beta? maybe we could redo something to get it to work! I'm on i920 now, as of barely 24 hrs ago! Still hanging at the *Hub too! I will be contributing as much as I can for i920's!

I havent been able to run android beta but i have seen the video and it looks great! you can find it and all the info at the i8000 thread. the main differences between the alpha and beta is that in the beta the phone part works (can make and recieve calls and texts), wifi works, and the android marketplace works. I'm sure there are a lot of other things to it too. I dont think they have 3g working yet.

android thread: http://www.modaco.com/content/i8000-omnia-...omnia-ii-i8000/

video of it running made by rapid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8khXDEOO96Y

I've been following the thread as well. Looks real promising! Sandor and Almar said they'd share the source, but who knows how long that would be...

I know its WAY out of my league, but I installed a new Ubuntu and downloaded the Froyo AOSP. Looks like most of the hardware has driver/binaries out there for it but the hardest/maybe impossible part will be the RIL as there isn't one we can just steal it from... Any ideas??

Guest amdzero
Would you really recommend it? Your recommendation is taken serious in these parts! :lol:

Well seeing as I got the phone for free (black friday sales) I'd say it was worth EVERY PENNY!

no seriously this phone is everything Windows Mobile isn't. If FUN AND FUNCTIONAL!

I'm Sure there are somethings I miss about my WinMo phone (can't think of anything right now!), but the SF MORE than makes up for it.

The whole android experience is on a whole other level. There are some games I do miss like Orions card game, but I can now play Majesty! w00t! Okay so I'm not only a chef, I'm a video game geek. Oh and speaking of Video games, this thing has GBA/SNES/NES emulators that DESTROY anything else on WinMo. I like to go old school now and then, in fact I just got done playing Metroid Zero on GBA... on my freakin' phone!

The SMS is FAR better than anything WinMo has, there are several "Launchers" for the overall experience. I can use Beautiful Widgets to mimic the Sense clock and weather. The screen is GORGIOUS, and is made from Gorilla Glass not some cheap plastic. I don't even have a screen protector or case on this bad boy!

I could go on and on, but bottom line is I LOVE MY PHONE.

p.s. those of us who have a Galaxy S phone are STILL waiting for Froyo from Samsung. I don't care however, the hardware on this thing is FAR past any software available right now.

OKAY OKAY, sorry for hijacking this thread, back to Android beta.

I seriously doubt that ANY here has the skillz to create i920 CDMA drivers for android. There simply aren't enough i920 hackers to get it going.

Guest sonicfrequency
Well seeing as I got the phone for free (black friday sales) I'd say it was worth EVERY PENNY!

no seriously this phone is everything Windows Mobile isn't. If FUN AND FUNCTIONAL!

I'm Sure there are somethings I miss about my WinMo phone (can't think of anything right now!), but the SF MORE than makes up for it.

The whole android experience is on a whole other level. There are some games I do miss like Orions card game, but I can now play Majesty! w00t! Okay so I'm not only a chef, I'm a video game geek. Oh and speaking of Video games, this thing has GBA/SNES/NES emulators that DESTROY anything else on WinMo. I like to go old school now and then, in fact I just got done playing Metroid Zero on GBA... on my freakin' phone!

The SMS is FAR better than anything WinMo has, there are several "Launchers" for the overall experience. I can use Beautiful Widgets to mimic the Sense clock and weather. The screen is GORGIOUS, and is made from Gorilla Glass not some cheap plastic. I don't even have a screen protector or case on this bad boy!

p.s. those of us who have a Galaxy S phone are STILL waiting for Froyo from Samsung. I don't care however, the hardware on this thing is FAR past any software available right now.

I seriously doubt that ANY here has the skillz to create i920 CDMA drivers for android. There simply aren't enough i920 hackers to get it going.

I envy you! I guess it's time for me to move on. Maybe I can justify picking up a new phone out of contract...I'll rationalize it as a work device.

Guest rolobolas

Would you recommend Motorola Droid X?

Guest amdzero
Would you recommend Motorola Droid X?

I'd recommend ANY android device over WinMo. Seriously its that far ahead of the game.

As for specific phones, I like the Galaxy S over the Droid X for just a few reasions:

The screen is gorgeous, no really go to the store and watch a movie or video clip on them side by side.

I like the smaller (just slightly) form factor as it fits neatly in my pocket.

The speed of this thing is fast, no REALLY fast even on the display models right out of the box. I don't know if the moto blur slows it down, but the Touch Wiz is greased lightning (btw I don't use touch wiz, it was just for comparison. I like Launcher Pro or ADW Launcher).

the CPU in the SF is a Humming bird 1GHz processor vs. the Droid X TI 1GHz. Which sounds the same but they are not. The Humming bird can over clock to 1200MHz (which I don't do) and can even undervolt by -100mV and still screams while playing games. I mean the battery on this thing out of the box is "OK" but with the custom kernels this thing can last almost 3 days of moderate use without any charge.

The 3D Game performance is VERY noticeable in favor of Galaxy S, but if you are not looking to play games this won't matter.

The phone does NOT come with wifi hot spot out of the box like the Droid X does, but I do have an app for that (HA! just like iPhone commercials!).

I don't know about the hacking/modding/custom rom community for Droid X, I'm sure its outstanding, but there is a good community for Samsung Fascinate, but its mostly on IRC. I really do like the 8MP camera on the Droid X and the 4.3" screen, its just not as purdy as the Fascinate, and the form factor fits me better.

In the end its all about personal preference.

Guest rolobolas
I'd recommend ANY android device over WinMo. Seriously its that far ahead of the game.

As for specific phones, I like the Galaxy S over the Droid X for just a few reasions:

The screen is gorgeous, no really go to the store and watch a movie or video clip on them side by side.

I like the smaller (just slightly) form factor as it fits neatly in my pocket.

The speed of this thing is fast, no REALLY fast even on the display models right out of the box. I don't know if the moto blur slows it down, but the Touch Wiz is greased lightning (btw I don't use touch wiz, it was just for comparison. I like Launcher Pro or ADW Launcher).

the CPU in the SF is a Humming bird 1GHz processor vs. the Droid X TI 1GHz. Which sounds the same but they are not. The Humming bird can over clock to 1200MHz (which I don't do) and can even undervolt by -100mV and still screams while playing games. I mean the battery on this thing out of the box is "OK" but with the custom kernels this thing can last almost 3 days of moderate use without any charge.

The 3D Game performance is VERY noticeable in favor of Galaxy S, but if you are not looking to play games this won't matter.

The phone does NOT come with wifi hot spot out of the box like the Droid X does, but I do have an app for that (HA! just like iPhone commercials!).

I don't know about the hacking/modding/custom rom community for Droid X, I'm sure its outstanding, but there is a good community for Samsung Fascinate, but its mostly on IRC. I really do like the 8MP camera on the Droid X and the 4.3" screen, its just not as purdy as the Fascinate, and the form factor fits me better.

In the end its all about personal preference.

Thanks so much for your review, seriously your opinion is gold for me. I followed your posts and I still have the O2 which is actually going to my wife. I am just a week away from my upgrade.

Guest amdzero
Thanks so much for your review, seriously your opinion is gold for me. I followed your posts and I still have the O2 which is actually going to my wife. I am just a week away from my upgrade.

Yeah my wife is using the old O2 now, and she really likes it. Of course she just came from LG Dare, so there was much to love.

Guest rolobolas
Yeah my wife is using the old O2 now, and she really likes it. Of course she just came from LG Dare, so there was much to love.

He he!, mine is coming from a Verizon razr older than both of us combined.

Guest blue1zz

I agree that Omnia II was not bad phone and I'm still using it without complaining. But the thing is other omnia II which has WCDMA hardware can use both Windows Mobile 6.5 and Android. They didn't change the base OS but add one more. By using Android OS which has better application than Windows Mobile does, Omnia II became more useful device than before. I really hope that there will be someone who can port android on our Verizon O2.

I agree that Omnia II was not bad phone and I'm still using it without complaining. But the thing is other omnia II which has WCDMA hardware can use both Windows Mobile 6.5 and Android. They didn't change the base OS but add one more. By using Android OS which has better application than Windows Mobile does, Omnia II became more useful device than before. I really hope that there will be someone who can port android on our Verizon O2.

Hi guys,

I want to make it work on i920 too. Someone with good computer skills and enthousiastic to start struggling with it please contact me!

Greetings Almar

Guest amdzero
Hi guys,

I want to make it work on i920 too. Someone with good computer skills and enthousiastic to start struggling with it please contact me!

Greetings Almar

Hey I'm willing to try anything. What kind of skillz u looking for?

Guest PetrineX
Hi guys,

Greetings Almar

I've been lurking for awhile on the boards. Went from a o1 to o2 for free after my seventh warranty replacement.

I'm a computer engineering student and have a background and c/c++ and POSIX. I have no idea where to start, but if you tell me what to code I'll try to hack something out.

I'm due for an upgrade soon, but that just means I can toy around without worrying about bricking the phone.

I'm so tired of Samsung at this point. February 9th can't come soon enough.

Guest nickmo20
Hi guys,

Greetings Almar

I as well am willing to try just about anything! I've not had actual computer training or schooling, but I have MS Visual Studio 2010 and I have some knowledge of Linux (Gnome/KDE) Most of what I know is self-taught and experimental, as well as reading forums, and informational sites... I am also a chef of the i910 (Omnia 1 US version) which was self taught too. I worked a bit on the "Andromnia" project and had it running although way worse than what the alpha brought to O2...

I may not have much going, but I'll work hard with what I got!

soo.. heres how far i've got.

Dusted off my old laptop,

Installed Ubuntu 10.10

Apt-get'ed all the packages i'd need according to the guide on kandroid.org

git'ed froyo aosp source

git'ed Samsung Spica froyo source

added/removed some binaries to see if i can get it to at least boot.

compiled "something" it took like 3 hours...

I have a ramdisk.img on /out/target/product/generic folder.

and now i don't know what to do.

help...????

soo.. heres how far i've got.

Dusted off my old laptop,

Installed Ubuntu 10.10

Apt-get'ed all the packages i'd need according to the guide on kandroid.org

git'ed froyo aosp source

git'ed Samsung Spica froyo source

added/removed some binaries to see if i can get it to at least boot.

compiled "something" it took like 3 hours...

I have a ramdisk.img on /out/target/product/generic folder.

and now i don't know what to do.

help...????

Guys I need a lot of haret logs & memory dumps from you to adjust our version to i920. I need you guys to do the following. Get yourself the latest haret version. Get yourself dropbox (preferaby via my twitter). And compress all the logs & dumps in to one file and dropbox them to me (email me the link). If you dont understand something, before emailing me ask for support from others here. Im very busy at the moment so i'm time managing.

start haret --> listen to connection

connect with telnet to it (telnet 169.254.2.1 9999(

dump mmu --> name this output mmulog.txt

Then I added an xps with all the regs I need (this is a lot of work). What you need to do is pick the reg out of the xps for example:

you take APLL_LOCK and put it nicely in excel, then you do in haret:

pdump 0x7e00F000 4 --> you paste this register after the APLL_LOCK

You can speed up the process by dumping multiple regs at once for examople to dump the first 4 registers you do: pdump 0x7e00F000 16

Then you make a nice excel file and put this also in the compressed folder.

Then you have to add some registers manually to the file above:

VIDCON0 0x77100000 R/W Video control 0 register 0x0000_0000

VIDCON1 0x77100004 R/W Video control 1 register 0x0000_0000

VIDCON2 0x77100008 R/W Video control 2 register 0x0000_0000

VIDTCON0 0x77100010 R/W Video time control 0 register 0x0000_0000

VIDTCON1 0x77100014 R/W Video time control 1 register 0x0000_0000

VIDTCON2 0x77100018 R/W Video time control 2 register 0x0000_0000

WINCON0 0x77100020 R/W Window control 0 register 0x0000_0000

WINCON1 0x77100024 R/W Window control 1 register 0x0000_0000

WINCON2 0x77100028 R/W Window control 2 register 0x0000_0000

WINCON3 0x7710002C R/W Window control 3 register 0x0000_0000

WINCON4 0x77100030 R/W Window control 4 register 0x0000_0000

Ok finally I need a memdump. But before I can do this I must know something about the memory settings. Once you've done all the above do this: (if it crashes doing this, this is a symptom I should know about).

PWF 0x50000000 memdump1.rom 128*1024*1024

PWF 0x60000000 memdump2.rom 80*1024*1024

PWF 0x50000000 memdump3.rom 208*1024*1024

Then dropbox me all this and notify this by email ( i dont read this or any other topic for that matter at the moment much)

Good luck,

If you dont succeed this (alltogether with multiple people) email me.

Almar

dropbox regs.xps http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18746515/regs.xps

dropbox haret http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18746515/haret2.exe

Edited by almar

Guest amdzero
Guys I need a lot of haret logs & memory dumps from you to adjust our version to i920. I need you guys to do the following. Get yourself the latest haret version. Get yourself dropbox (preferaby via my twitter). And compress all the logs & dumps in to one file and dropbox them to me (email me the link). If you dont understand something, before emailing me ask for support from others here. Im very busy at the moment so i'm time managing.

start haret --> listen to connection

connect with telnet to it (telnet 169.254.2.1 9999(

dump mmu --> name this output mmulog.txt

Then I added an xps with all the regs I need (this is a lot of work). What you need to do is pick the reg out of the xps for example:

you take APLL_LOCK and put it nicely in excel, then you do in haret:

pdump 0x7e00F000 4 --> you paste this register after the APLL_LOCK

You can speed up the process by dumping multiple regs at once for examople to dump the first 4 registers you do: pdump 0x7e00F000 16

Then you make a nice excel file and put this also in the compressed folder.

Then you have to add some registers manually to the file above:

VIDCON0 0x77100000 R/W Video control 0 register 0x0000_0000

VIDCON1 0x77100004 R/W Video control 1 register 0x0000_0000

VIDCON2 0x77100008 R/W Video control 2 register 0x0000_0000

VIDTCON0 0x77100010 R/W Video time control 0 register 0x0000_0000

VIDTCON1 0x77100014 R/W Video time control 1 register 0x0000_0000

VIDTCON2 0x77100018 R/W Video time control 2 register 0x0000_0000

WINCON0 0x77100020 R/W Window control 0 register 0x0000_0000

WINCON1 0x77100024 R/W Window control 1 register 0x0000_0000

WINCON2 0x77100028 R/W Window control 2 register 0x0000_0000

WINCON3 0x7710002C R/W Window control 3 register 0x0000_0000

WINCON4 0x77100030 R/W Window control 4 register 0x0000_0000

Ok finally I need a memdump. But before I can do this I must know something about the memory settings. Once you've done all the above do this: (if it crashes doing this, this is a symptom I should know about).

PWF 0x50000000 memdump1.rom 128*1024*1024

PWF 0x60000000 memdump2.rom 80*1024*1024

PWF 0x50000000 memdump3.rom 208*1024*1024

Then dropbox me all this and notify this by email ( i dont read this or any other topic for that matter at the moment much)

Good luck,

If you dont succeed this (alltogether with multiple people) email me.

Almar

dropbox regs.xps http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18746515/regs.xps

dropbox haret http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18746515/haret2.exe

wow I'ma eat my words, as almar sure looks like he wants to help out us CDMA guys! If my wife wasn't using the phone (almost constantly) I'd jump on this.