About Android beta

Guest blue1zz

Guest nickmo20

@Almar, could i dump my ROM to my SD card and give you the entire ROM dump? or would that be useless? Or might you use an i920 Kitchen with OEM/SYS/ROM folders... I believe they could provide all the drivers needed.

I'm not quite a pro with haret but i'll give it a shot, i've got time coming up this weekend. hope to have some good news.

@Almar, could i dump my ROM to my SD card and give you the entire ROM dump? or would that be useless? Or might you use an i920 Kitchen with OEM/SYS/ROM folders... I believe they could provide all the drivers needed.

I'm not quite a pro with haret but i'll give it a shot, i've got time coming up this weekend. hope to have some good news.

Wouldnt help. Just need these things.

Guest fire3element

Alamar, could you post the zImage from both folders in the beta release in a non-compressed format?

I downloaded the alpha release from post #1 here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=672794

It got me past the Jumping to Kernel message, but comes up with a Kernel Panic "Can not open SD card" or something like that.

I have played around with the default.txt values, and I get many different errors with different Set cmdline values.

Let me try the uncompressed zImage first before you get to far in the game. Maybe it might get us i920 users past the Jumping to Kernel message and get you more precise feedback.

Thanks.

@nickmo20. Im almost done getting the memory dumps. Would you mind comparing your output with mine when you are finished? I just want to make sure we get consistent data.

@nickmo20. Im almost done getting the memory dumps. Would you mind comparing your output with mine when you are finished? I just want to make sure we get consistent data.

Great work!

I think you can boot the alpha, but it is too much work to figure everything out for me at the moment but you reminded me of something I forgot. I also need to know which sd channels are used. So I add these registers to the ones I have. You can have different outputs.

PWRCON0 0x7C200029 R/W Present State Register (Channel 0) 0x0

PWRCON1 0x7C300029 R/W Present State Register (Channel 1) 0x0

PWRCON2 0x7C400029 R/W Present State Register (Channel 2) 0x0

Guest elbee72
Great work!

I think you can boot the alpha, but it is too much work to figure everything out for me at the moment but you reminded me of something I forgot. I also need to know which sd channels are used. So I add these registers to the ones I have. You can have different outputs.

PWRCON0 0x7C200029 R/W Present State Register (Channel 0) 0x0

PWRCON1 0x7C300029 R/W Present State Register (Channel 1) 0x0

PWRCON2 0x7C400029 R/W Present State Register (Channel 2) 0x0

At http://code.google.com/p/omnia2droid/wiki/FindingGPIO some people are busy making the B7610 android port up and running with a modified I8000 port. This phone is probably more simular to I8000 than I920, but a lot of same techniques are used. Were are not on Almar skill-level, but trying to make reverse-engineering availabe to more people. So even if you have no linux/haret skills, but like to tinker and research your phone, you can join in. You can start as easy as installing a winmo program on your i920 and find out what gpio's are different. When Almar got basic things ported/working he can use the GPIO pins you already may have found ....

You are welcome to join ....

Guest xlightwaverx
At http://code.google.com/p/omnia2droid/wiki/FindingGPIO some people are busy making the B7610 android port up and running with a modified I8000 port. This phone is probably more simular to I8000 than I920, but a lot of same techniques are used. Were are not on Almar skill-level, but trying to make reverse-engineering availabe to more people. So even if you have no linux/haret skills, but like to tinker and research your phone, you can join in. You can start as easy as installing a winmo program on your i920 and find out what gpio's are different. When Almar got basic things ported/working he can use the GPIO pins you already may have found ....

You are welcome to join ....

I'm a BIG linux fan. It's what ruined all my relationships because I had to tinker with it so much. :P Let me know what you need.

X

Guest elbee72
I'm a BIG linux fan. It's what ruined all my relationships because I had to tinker with it so much. :P Let me know what you need.

X

you could first try the GPIOgfx program on the link above, curious if it supports the i920. Than fiddle with it. Than report some findings in that wiki site.

If you want to play more, try to get output for the requests almar made.

Guest nickmo20

So, i'm not sure if this is considered getting beta to run on i920 or not, but alpha used 'image' instead of zImage' and then changed default.txt. and loaded it the way beta version describes and i got it to boot android on my i920.

The downsides, it's landscape support only, it's very laggy, and of course no driver support (but that's expected.) Sorry for the delay, as i have recently jumped on the O2 bandwagon, and this may be old news to some/most....

Guest elbee72
So, i'm not sure if this is considered getting beta to run on i920 or not, but alpha used 'image' instead of zImage' and then changed default.txt. and loaded it the way beta version describes and i got it to boot android on my i920.

The downsides, it's landscape support only, it's very laggy, and of course no driver support (but that's expected.) Sorry for the delay, as i have recently jumped on the O2 bandwagon, and this may be old news to some/most....

Does this mean you got the i8000 beta work on i920 but without SD-card support?

Did you run it with a ramdisk (like the alpha) or made a ext2 part on MyStorage?

Not clear to me how and to what extend you got the beta to work.

Guest nickmo20
Does this mean you got the i8000 beta work on i920 but without SD-card support?

Did you run it with a ramdisk (like the alpha) or made a ext2 part on MyStorage?

Not clear to me how and to what extend you got the beta to work.

I do have a memory card, but i'll have to remove it, and then test it out... I'm at work now on lunch, but maybe i could do it tonight or tomorrow. Yes, as far as I know, it IS beta! but NOT very functional!

Guest the sandman
I do have a memory card, but i'll have to remove it, and then test it out... I'm at work now on lunch, but maybe i could do it tonight or tomorrow. Yes, as far as I know, it IS beta! but NOT very functional!

Wow thats great! One step closer!

Guest fire3element

@nickmo20: would you mind sharing the details of how you got it to work?

Here is what I did:

Downloaded Beta

Downloaded Alpha

Unpacked Beta to default location (root of My Storage)

Unzipped Alpha on desktop, then copy Image to both root of My Storage and 02beta folder.

Opened default.txt (root MyStorage and in 02beta folder) and changed "Set kernel" from zImage to Image. (note, I did not actually remove the zImage from either location)

Ran Haret.exe from 02beta folder

Process begins, but eventually ends up in a kernel panic (comes up with error "fdisk: cant't open '/dev/block/mmcblk1' ")

let me post the exact transcript of what comes up on my screen:

Welcome to Android Install on Samsung Omnia II

mmc0: new MMC card at address 0001

mmcblk0: mmc0:0001 M8G4DD 7.65 GiB

mmcblk0: p1 < p5 >

Creating block devices...

Creating other devices...

Mounting internal SD memory as mmcblk0p5...

Internal FLASH mounted.

Preparing SD card ...

Empty SD card ...

fdisk: can't open '/dev/block/mmcblk1'

mkfs.vfat: can't open '/dev/block/mmcblk1' : No such device or address

Not enough space on SD card...

Kernel Panic - not syncing: Attemted to kill init!

Backtrace:

yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada

blankidy blank blank

oasiudfh a osidfh aos iguh io awu er htoq ywbh gasigp ahfashdb oic uhvl awegf uwi bvf

and so on...

Rebooting in 30 seconds...

Then I get right back into WinSlo.

Funny thing is, my SD card is a Kingston Micro SD HC, 4GB, Class 4. The text above reads that the phone is reporting my SD Card as 7.65 GiB. (and yes the card is empty, have formatted in Windows 2 times)

I have tried running Haret.exe from MyStorage right after this, but it hangs on r4 r5 under "kernel_init_0x0 something, something"

I tried going back and running Haret from both locations again, but no dice.

Does this have anything to do with the very first message you get after you hit RUN in Haret?

It shows:

HARET boot

Shutting down hardware

Turning of MMU

In preloader

PSR 60000df

Kernel relocated

Initrd Relocated

Is this normal? Sometimes the lines "Turning of MMU" through "PSR 600000df" are all jumbled up together on one line and you can't read it. Next time its ok, then bad the next. ??? LoL

@nickmo20, what ROM are you on? Also, what SD card do you have? (brand name, size, speed class)

Hope some of this info is helpful.

Guest elbee72

Here is what I did:

Downloaded Beta

Downloaded Alpha

Unzipped Alpha on desktop, then copy Image to both root of My Storage and 02beta folder.

why replace beta kernel/zImage with old alpha kernel?

old kernel has only little support and no support for SD-card as far as i know

this would explain why the Mounting internal (k0) SD memory as mmcblk0p5 succeeded and the mounting of external (k1) SD-memory / SD-card (/dev/block/mmcblk1) was not succesfull.

Internal FLASH mounted.

* If all but external SD-card support works with latest beta-kernel, you could make a combo with old installer (to make ramdisk on fat) and new kernel/rootfs. Some linux skills needed, but should not be so hard (mounting image file on linux box and replacing old alpha rootfs with new rootfs, and change init.rc for mounting?).

* Also installing on ext2 partition on MyStorage could be possible, but this is more tricky. I8000 models have different types of partitioning, and you can easy screw up internal SD and the recovery partition used for hard reset.

* An alternative path is making SD-card support work on i920, but that will need haret logs like Almar requested.

Could you try the new kernel and give some logs/findings?

Although I appreciate the effort, I have a pretty clear idea what is happening. I think I could easily give you a kernel which would work. This is not in my or your interest, I want to make the full device work. For this what we need are the logs. If nobody is able to produce them, I will create a script which does the above, so you guys would only have to run it in haret like it was a kernel.

Guest fire3element

Ok, let me ask a few questions then. I was under the impression that the beta installed android on the SD card, and ran from that location. Is this right?

What I was hoping to accomplish was, by replacing the beta zImage with the alpha Image... I was trying to get the base foundation for android to install on the SD card. After that, I wanted to switch back to the zImage and hope that it would get past the "Checking kernel crc..." to let the beta finish installing.

It was just a lark, but I thought it couldn't hurt to try.

I also ran Haret from the root of my storage, changing values in the default.txt to see if it would spark anything interesting.

OH, BY THE WAY. DO NOT CHANGE "Set ramaddr 0x50000000" to 0x20000000. It will hang the Haret process and will keep your phone stuck in the "Omnia II" boot logo. I did it several times to confirm. NO, A HARD RESET WILL RESULT IN NOTHING

I also tried changing the Set CMDLINE "root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 init=/init" to... mmcblk1p1, mmcblk1p2, mmcblk1p3, mmcblk1p4, mmcblk1p5, mmcblk0p1,

mmcblk0p2, mmcblk0p3, mmcblk0p4, mmcblk0p5.

I get different errors of output with different mmcblk combos.

Now I would like to add something I found last night.

During the boot log that I posted in my last post, I received a very strange error.

-----between the lines "mmcblk0: p1 <p5>" and "Creating block devices..." I see 3 more lines at random.

mmcblk0: p1 <p5>

mmc2: host doesn't support card's voltages

mmc2: Got command interrupt 0x00010001 even though no command operation was in progress.

mmc2: error -22 whilst initialising SDIO card

I seem to get this error at shear random. I come from a clean boot everytime, and immediately launch Haret from the 02beta folder. There is no set pattern to the error above. I get it about 1 out of 5 times, but not 1 every 5 times. Sometimes it does it multiple times, back to back and then maybe nothing the next 10 times.

Nothing on the phone or SD card (completely clean) has changed, nor is the SD card the problem. I verified by trying a few different SD cards, resulting in the same error (4gb class4, 128mb class2, 2gb class2).

I have tried formatting the SD card under Windows with NTFS, FAT, FAT32, and exFAT. Also formatted from the phone,but nothing seems to make a difference. I have tried to turn off any power saver settings on the phone, set CPU to HIGH, and tried while plugged into the wall outlet. Nada...

And I would like to mention that it is not the SD card socket loose or anything like that. I have never used this phone (nice paperweight), so it is still like new.

@elbee72: Just as many others have posted, if you use the zImage from the beta release, Haret will hang at the "Jumping to kernel..." message.

I am not skilled enough to do the things you have suggested. I have no knowledge of linux or programming. I am just the dummy in the test car so to speak. I let you know if I feel something. LoL

The reason that I tried the Image file from the alpha, is that I read from many different threads that many i920 users could not get the alpha to load. That is when someone smart (not me) figured out that it would work with the uncompressed zImage, hence the Image file. That is why I requested that Alamr give us the uncompressed image of the new zImage. Maybe I will not work, but it might give more detail in a log as to why it wont boot.

I have searched and tried to figure out how to uncompress the zImage file, but everywhere I search said that it was near impossible without the source code.

I can try a few more thing you suggested, but remember you are playing dodge-ball with a blind guy (I'm the blind guy).

@Alamar: If you have a spare second, could you supply us with the non-compressed zImage file. I am not sure if It will do any good, but it might get the i920 users a little further than the "Jumping to kernel..." message. Then we could provide the heret logs for both zImage and Image outputs.

Thanks

Edit: LoL you posted while I was typing. I did not get a chance to read your comment before I posted mine. Apologies :P

Edited by fire3element

Edit: LoL you posted while I was typing. I did not get a chance to read your comment before I posted mine. Apologies :P

Doesn't matter. But it really doesn't matter what kind of output you get. You could have corrupted your NANDflash with your 0x2000000 command and brick your phone. You are running the Image from alpha which I already knew would run. But I want a safe option, not a trial and error one. With all the knowledge we got from the whole process we don't have to do the trial and error if I get my logs which are android/(z)image indenpendant. So i created a slimmed down script. If you guys would please run this and send me the created i920 log file. default.txt.txt

From this we can analyse what changes we have to make, to make it work. This script is not as complete as my instructions but it is better than nothing. Once you have the output, please compress it in a nice zip and send it to me. What would be even better if you opened up the log file with a text editor. You would see all the addresses with all the corresponding hex values (0x). If you would take the xps file match the register address with the corresponding value and give me a nice little excel sheet with all the registers and all the corresponding outputs (except ofcourse for the mmu dump). If you don't know what im talking about, never mind. Explaining it in more detail would cost me more effort than doing it myself.

Good luck,

Marc

Guest elbee72
Doesn't matter. But it really doesn't matter what kind of output you get. You could have corrupted your NANDflash with your 0x2000000 command and brick your phone. You are running the Image from alpha which I already knew would run. But I want a safe option, not a trial and error one. With all the knowledge we got from the whole process we don't have to do the trial and error if I get my logs which are android/(z)image indenpendant. So i created a slimmed down script. If you guys would please run this and send me the created i920 log file. default.txt.txt

From this we can analyse what changes we have to make, to make it work. This script is not as complete as my instructions but it is better than nothing. Once you have the output, please compress it in a nice zip and send it to me. What would be even better if you opened up the log file with a text editor. You would see all the addresses with all the corresponding hex values (0x). If you would take the xps file match the register address with the corresponding value and give me a nice little excel sheet with all the registers and all the corresponding outputs (except ofcourse for the mmu dump). If you don't know what im talking about, never mind. Explaining it in more detail would cost me more effort than doing it myself.

Good luck,

Marc

I am used to haret and can help a windows user or a linux user with a i920 through all the steps to get almar the logs he needs.

I myself dont own a i920

pse mail me at elbee1972 at gmail dot com if you want to put in some effort in making this nice Android port work on i920

EDIT: got some help now, i'll update this post when we get the logs for almar

Edited by elbee72

Guest urphonesux

I can be remote controlled if anyone is interested.

I have a i920 and would like to run android on it BUT i have no knowledge of the ins and outs of android.

hopefully elbee will respond to my email for assistance but other than that im at a loss

if you will just tell me what to do in a simplified manner i got you

also would it help to just let you rdp into one of my pc's setup just for this?

Edited by urphonesux

Good luck,

Marc

The script can be loaded by Haret, in the same way the regular default.txt(which you have to replace). Make sure you rename it to default.txt, as is see here it is two times .txt.

Guest elbee72
The script can be loaded by Haret, in the same way the regular default.txt(which you have to replace). Make sure you rename it to default.txt, as is see here it is two times .txt.

Memdump has been made (for b7610, i920, i8000) and send, waiting for analyses.

Thanks for dumping !!

Can anyone confirm that the dumps have been sent? @Almar, do you have what you need?

I'm almost done getting the dumps. I just couldnt get to it this weekend. My church made me a small group leader and had to do that all weekend. Hopefully i can have it finished by the weekend.

@Almar, I looked into the GPIO project. Would that help speed up the porting process?

Guest nickmo20

Here is what I did:

Downloaded Beta

Downloaded Alpha

Opened default.txt (root MyStorage and in 02beta folder) and changed "Set kernel" from zImage to Image. (note, I did not actually remove the zImage from either location)

Ran Haret.exe from 02beta folder

Process begins, but eventually ends up in a kernel panic (comes up with error "fdisk: cant't open '/dev/block/mmcblk1' ")

let me post the exact transcript of what comes up on my screen:

Welcome to Android Install on Samsung Omnia II

Internal FLASH mounted.

Preparing SD card ...

Empty SD card ...

Not enough space on SD card...

Kernel Panic - not syncing: Attemted to kill init!

Backtrace:

yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada yada

blankidy blank blank

oasiudfh a osidfh aos iguh io awu er htoq ywbh gasigp ahfashdb oic uhvl awegf uwi bvf

and so on...

Rebooting in 30 seconds...

Then I get right back into WinSlo.

Funny thing is, my SD card is a Kingston Micro SD HC, 4GB, Class 4. The text above reads that the phone is reporting my SD Card as 7.65 GiB. (and yes the card is empty, have formatted in Windows 2 times)

I have tried running Haret.exe from MyStorage right after this, but it hangs on r4 r5 under "kernel_init_0x0 something, something"

I tried going back and running Haret from both locations again, but no dice.

Does this have anything to do with the very first message you get after you hit RUN in Haret?

It shows:

HARET boot

Shutting down hardware

Turning of MMU

In preloader

PSR 60000df

Kernel relocated

Initrd Relocated

Is this normal? Sometimes the lines "Turning of MMU" through "PSR 600000df" are all jumbled up together on one line and you can't read it. Next time its ok, then bad the next. ??? LoL

@nickmo20, what ROM are you on? Also, what SD card do you have? (brand name, size, speed class)

Hope some of this info is helpful.

Um, most likely I got this by shear accident, and I don't want anyone to mess up there phones by something I did... I just did some tinkering late at night, and I was tired, and not quite sure how I got it.

Also, this past weekend was a bit busier than expected, but I am now doing the steps to getting those dumps. Sorry to almar that I'm a noob when it comes to this detailed stuff... I'll get you whatever I can. I hate to be the illiterate guy here. If I had the time to commit like I did my last phone, I'd be of more help. Sorry I can't be of much help now.