About Android beta

Guest blue1zz

Guest elbee72
Oddly enough, I believe the first time I installed the beta I got an alignment screen and it was picking up touch. I dont think I have seen it work to well since. But I can still switch screens ....And take out the battery!

what setup did you use? fresh compiled uncompressed kernel (rev?) with latest beta2 rootfs image base? with 2d/3d update/files?

• 3 weeks later...
Guest elbee72

I patched beta2 for i920, but it is untested (I don't own a i920).

Who likes to test it and give some reports? It is experimental so can hurt/brick your phone ... own risk ...

To install:

- download http://omnia2droid.googlecode.com/files/i9...beta2.part1.rar

- download http://omnia2droid.googlecode.com/files/i9...beta2.part2.rar

- get 2D/3D drivers from http://www.modaco.com/content/i8000-omnia-...e-omnia-2-info/

- unrar and copy files to /My Storage/ on i920

- copy o2b2update.tar.gz with 2D/3D drivers to /My Storage/ on i920

- make sure you have a uSD card with FAT and at least 2GB free space

- run /My Storage/beta/haret.exe and press RUN

- after install phone reboots automatic (read last messages on screen before boot)

- run /My Storage/haret.exe and press RUN

- it should boot Android for the first time and present GUI

Guest the sandman
- run /My Storage/beta/haret.exe and press RUN

- after install phone reboots automatic (read last messages on screen before boot)

Thank you for patch, but unfortunately it did not work (for me)

At this part of the installation, after it installed, I got a message that said "....Done, Rebooting now...." and then I got a kernel panic and it rebooted in 30 seconds. And when it rebooted I tried running /My Storage/haret.exe and it gets stuck at "Jumping to kernel..."

Guest elbee72
Thank you for patch, but unfortunately it did not work (for me)

At this part of the installation, after it installed, I got a message that said "....Done, Rebooting now...." and then I got a kernel panic and it rebooted in 30 seconds. And when it rebooted I tried running /My Storage/haret.exe and it gets stuck at "Jumping to kernel..."

Thanks for trying Sandman!

Could you run /My Storage/haret.exe again (no worries about the ext2 on micro SD, its get detected and installs into that again) but leave the phone connected to windows through usb? I am curious if the phone is detected by windows as an unkown device during install and/or bootup, or not at all. Adb working on usb would make debugging a lot easier.

Could you also make a picture of the screen before it boots after install, and when hanging on "Jumping to kernel"?

Maybe we can find a solution to make it boot correctly ...

Guest bf71090

Could you run /My Storage/haret.exe again (no worries about the ext2 on micro SD, its get detected and installs into that again) but leave the phone connected to windows through usb? I am curious if the phone is detected by windows as an unkown device during install and/or bootup, or not at all. Adb working on usb would make debugging a lot easier.

Could you also make a picture of the screen before it boots after install, and when hanging on "Jumping to kernel"?

Thanks for caring about us elbee. Ill try it out when I get home and see if i can help.

Guest capricorn116
I patched beta2 for i920, but it is untested (I don't own a i920).

Who likes to test it and give some reports? It is experimental so can hurt/brick your phone ... own risk ...

On a scale of (safe) 1 to 10 (definite bricking), what's the potential to brick the phone? I have a an i920, and I'm anxious to get Android on it, but I use the phone everyday and don't want to lose it.

Guest elbee72
On a scale of (safe) 1 to 10 (definite bricking), what's the potential to brick the phone? I have a an i920, and I'm anxious to get Android on it, but I use the phone everyday and don't want to lose it.

chance of bricking is small, but impact for you if it happens is big (your only phone which you use every day).

the phone part itself is not ported yet, so it is not ready yet for everyday use.

maybe better wait for well tested version ...

Guest the sandman

I tried running /My Storage/haret.exe again with the phone plugged in with the usb, but my computer doesn't recognize the device

Guest pondd
I tried running /My Storage/haret.exe again with the phone plugged in with the usb, but my computer doesn't recognize the device

After I got everything transfered to my storage I ran the /My Storage/o2beta/haret.exe. I had the same "Jumping to kernel" panic error then rebooted after 30 seconds. After the phone rebooted I ran the /My Storage/haret.exe. When I hit run it says "Error Failed to load file \My Storage\zimage". I went back into my storage and renamed the "image" file to "zimage". It booted and seemed like it was gonna load android then it rebooted again. What was weird during this time that windows popped up with a "found new hardware" wizard (while it was trying to boot android) and recognized the phone as a GT-I8000.

Guest elbee72
After I got everything transfered to my storage I ran the /My Storage/o2beta/haret.exe. I had the same "Jumping to kernel" panic error then rebooted after 30 seconds. After the phone rebooted I ran the /My Storage/haret.exe. When I hit run it says "Error Failed to load file \My Storage\zimage". I went back into my storage and renamed the "image" file to "zimage". It booted and seemed like it was gonna load android then it rebooted again. What was weird during this time that windows popped up with a "found new hardware" wizard (while it was trying to boot android) and recognized the phone as a GT-I8000.

the first "jumping to kernel" could be normal, it is the way of resetting the device after prepping microSD card with android ext2 partition with android rootfs.

a picture of the screen this 30 seconds helps finding where bugs are, we could determine if install was succesfull.

not sure why it searches for zimage, but the workaround you described works fine.

the found new hardware popup is great, this means adb is probably working so log messages could be collected by adb.

pse look a view pages back how to setup adb in windows or linux to get logs fro just before crash/reboot.

did you have the o2b2update.tar.gz with 2d/3d drivers in the /MyStorage when you booted /MyStorage/haret.exe? without it android runs instable and crashes ..

the o2b2update.tar.gz files is deleted from /MyStorage when it is installed properly (so you can check if this is the cause of crashing/rebooting).

Guest nickmo20

the only reason I was able to get android to boot, was by using 'Image' from the alpha version, before the zImage. Sorry I've been gone for a few weeks, a lot going on, but I'll have plenty of time to dedicate to the forums again!

Guest elbee72

Most of the Omnia2 hardware base is ported to android, but to make it work on i920 extensive testing is needed.

When done with some linux and programming skills the testing/adapting can be done in less time.

To speed up getting android working on i920, the easiest way is to find somebody in the states with time and knowledge who can adapt, make and test several android/kernel builds (this is how the b7610 modifications are made). Another way is to lend out/ship a i920 to marc or me (the netherlands) for this purpose. Also possible is to chip-in for a cheap second hand (but working) i920 phone, 10 people with $10 could ship one (going for less than $100 on ebay).

Just a thought ....

Guest pondd
Most of the Omnia2 hardware base is ported to android, but to make it work on i920 extensive testing is needed.

When done with some linux and programming skills the testing/adapting can be done in less time.

To speed up getting android working on i920, the easiest way is to find somebody in the states with time and knowledge who can adapt, make and test several android/kernel builds (this is how the b7610 modifications are made). Another way is to lend out/ship a i920 to marc or me (the netherlands) for this purpose. Also possible is to chip-in for a cheap second hand (but working) i920 phone, 10 people with $10 could ship one (going for less than $100 on ebay).

Just a thought ....

I don't mind testing the kernel builds. I have an I920 I use for everyday use. I just dont have the knowledge to actually help with the programming. I have been having a problem just getting adb to work. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. But I am willing to help all I can.

Guest elbee72
I don't mind testing the kernel builds. I have an I920 I use for everyday use. I just dont have the knowledge to actually help with the programming. I have been having a problem just getting adb to work. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. But I am willing to help all I can.

what method for adb did you use? with what versions of android port? what went ok/wrong?

Guest pondd
what method for adb did you use? with what versions of android port? what went ok/wrong?

Honestly it was a few days ago when I tried so I don't remember what I exactly used. What method and version do you suggest I use? I could use a little more detailed instructions. Thanks

Edited by pondd

Guest elbee72
Honestly it was a few days ago when I tried so I don't remember what I exactly used. What method and version do you suggest I use? I could use a little more detailed instructions. Thanks

for adb on windows check here and here

for adb on linux check here and here

if you are known to linux better use that, otherwise use adb for windows.

Guest W_Jester3
Thanks for caring about us elbee.

Ok well I downloaded according to the links..... I have a question though.....

NOt knowing if the file at the thread link for the 2d/3d drivers under that download from rapidshare..... should I rename the downloaded file to o2b2 as well it downloaded only as o2update.tar.gz

I did rename said file and copy it over to the 'My Storage Directory' with everything else.

I Was able to run HAret and got to a rapidly scrolling boot sequence. ALthough it did end witha KErnel Panic. and no install....

Gets to....

[7.322486] No filesystem could mount root, tried; ext3 ext2 ext4 cramfs vfat msdos romfs

[7.337110] Kernal Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount rootfs on unknown-block(179,10)

^

|====== I guess this is a time stamp?

I do have a blank sd in and am making sure it (the archive and files) is the only thing in the my storage directory.

Any tips?

Edited by W_Jester3

Guest elbee72
Ok well I downloaded according to the links..... I have a question though.....

NOt knowing if the file at the thread link for the 2d/3d drivers under that download from rapidshare..... should I rename the downloaded file to o2b2 as well it downloaded only as o2update.tar.gz

I did rename said file and copy it over to the 'My Storage Directory' with everything else.

I Was able to run HAret and got to a rapidly scrolling boot sequence. ALthough it did end witha KErnel Panic. and no install....

Gets to....

[7.322486] No filesystem could mount root, tried; ext3 ext2 ext4 cramfs vfat msdos romfs

[7.337110] Kernal Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount rootfs on unknown-block(179,10)

^

|====== I guess this is a time stamp?

I do have a blank sd in and am making sure it (the archive and files) is the only thing in the my storage directory.

Any tips?

First step: first linux boot and INSTALL

after unrarring and copying the files ..

run haret.exe from /MyStorage/beta

this boots linux and an install script which:

- mounts the SD card and tries to shrink the FAT partition on it

- makes a ext2 partition and unpacks the Android root filesystem on the ext2 part on the SD card.

it is good to check if this step is done correctly:

- your fat space has to be 1Gb smaller, with a partitionmgr you should see an extra ext2 partition on SD

- if you run the installer again the FAT doesn't shrink anymore, the install script detects the ext2 part and formats it to install rootfs

- there could be a log file on mystorage or sdcard, but dont know the name ...

- on a normal install the aprox 10 lines before the kernelpanic are good to check, the install script logs about if the partitioning and copying of the root fs is succeeded or not.

it could be possible the kernel panic comes before the install script makes the sd card install ... thats why the lines before are good to check.

dont know what timestap is normal for normal install, i have to reinstall my android to see :-(

second STEP: second linux boot and first Android boot

this is beta2, so update file with 2d/3d libs has to be called o2b2update.tar.gz

on first Android boot this update file is loaded, and when executed ok it is deleted.

so if the file disappears after Android boot all is ok.

(please check)

to boot android from SD card you need to run haret.exe from /MyStorage/

first you see the same as install, but you see different messages when android boots

during this messages the usb/adb interface should be life, so on windows you see an "unknown hardware detected" popup if you have the usb cable connected.

if all goes well you see the android logo with a nightrider effect ;-)

if all goes well you see a lockscreen

I am curious if you arrive at this point with the modified beta2 from this thread.

Guest pondd
First step: first linux boot and INSTALL

after unrarring and copying the files ..

run haret.exe from /MyStorage/beta

this boots linux and an install script which:

- mounts the SD card and tries to shrink the FAT partition on it

- makes a ext2 partition and unpacks the Android root filesystem on the ext2 part on the SD card.

it is good to check if this step is done correctly:

- your fat space has to be 1Gb smaller, with a partitionmgr you should see an extra ext2 partition on SD

- if you run the installer again the FAT doesn't shrink anymore, the install script detects the ext2 part and formats it to install rootfs

- there could be a log file on mystorage or sdcard, but dont know the name ...

- on a normal install the aprox 10 lines before the kernelpanic are good to check, the install script logs about if the partitioning and copying of the root fs is succeeded or not.

it could be possible the kernel panic comes before the install script makes the sd card install ... thats why the lines before are good to check.

dont know what timestap is normal for normal install, i have to reinstall my android to see :-(

second STEP: second linux boot and first Android boot

this is beta2, so update file with 2d/3d libs has to be called o2b2update.tar.gz

on first Android boot this update file is loaded, and when executed ok it is deleted.

so if the file disappears after Android boot all is ok.

(please check)

to boot android from SD card you need to run haret.exe from /MyStorage/

first you see the same as install, but you see different messages when android boots

during this messages the usb/adb interface should be life, so on windows you see an "unknown hardware detected" popup if you have the usb cable connected.

if all goes well you see the android logo with a nightrider effect ;-)

if all goes well you see a lockscreen

I am curious if you arrive at this point with the modified beta2 from this thread.

I have attached my log from when I tried the steps above. Still no boot...

log.txt

Guest elbee72
I have attached my log from when I tried the steps above. Still no boot...

creating ext2 worked i read in the install tool log.

did you get the android logo with knightrider effect?

did the o2b2update you copied to /MyStorage/ get deleted automaticly?

what are the last 10 messages you can read on the screen before panic/reset or blackscreen (picture will help)?

did you have windows connected when booting android? did it detect unknown hardware?

Guest pondd

what are the last 10 messages you can read on the screen before panic/reset or blackscreen (picture will help)?

did you have windows connected when booting android? did it detect unknown hardware?

I did not get the android logo.

The o2b2update was deleted after the install.

I will try again and get the last 10 messages for you.

I am at work so I am not hooked up through windows. I will try again tonight to see if I can get adb to work.

Guest W_Jester3

I have not been able to get it to a boot or install mode at all. I have taken my SD card and created two partitions. 1 a 1.5G fat. 2. a 2.5G ext2.

I am still getting to about 4.5 5.3 seconds and trhen a kernal panic.

This is the last bit that I can read from the phone.

[2.779216] Blluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized

[2.786455] Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.1

[2.793542] lib80211: common routines for ie802.11 drivers

[2.807285] VFP support v0.3: implementor 41 architrecture 1 part 20 variant b rev 5

[2.824812] s3c-rtc: setting system clock to 2011-04-06 22:08:43 UTC (1303137723)

[2.839394] Waiting 2sec before mounting root device...

[4.850574] VFS: cannot open root device "mmcblk1p2" or unknown-block (179,10) <---- (This was (0,0) when I had the SD parted to 2.0G....??)

[4.865085] Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are available partitions:

[4.879658] b300 8028160 mmcblk0 driver: mmcblk

[4.887323] b301 1 mmcblk0p1

[4.894904] b305 8028159 mmcblk0p5

[4.902376] b308 3872256 mmcblk1 driver: mmcblk

[4.909863] b309 3872255 mmcblk1p1

[4.917331] Kerel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (179,10)

During this time I did not get a "Unrecognized Device" in Windows. It was USB connected.

Now while typing all of that the phone has been sitting next to me unplugged....... When I plug in my USB cable after it has been sitting here as I have been typing and the phone responds!

[1839.904998] [FSA9480]fsa9480_interrupt

[1839.905015] <6>saturn-battery saturn-battery: cable_timer_func : intr cnt = 1

Interesting.

Will try various different sizes and types of partitions on that card throughout the evening.

11:04 pm Just tried two 900 MB partitions....... one fat and one ext2...... Same result.

Edited by W_Jester3

Guest W_Jester3
11:04 pm Just tried two 900 MB partitions....... one fat and one ext2...... Same result.

Ok.. Just made a change in default.txt and have pointed to mmcblk0. Tried to boot and have a kernel panic again...

Going to keep trying. Have a few available.

Guest W_Jester3
Going to keep trying. Have a few available.

Got a new message and it looks like it mounted to a volume.

This is what it looks like now...... I copied some from the previous post to relieve some typing.

[2.779216] Blluetooth: RFCOMM socket layer initialized

[2.786455] Bluetooth: RFCOMM ver 1.1

[2.793542] lib80211: common routines for ie802.11 drivers

[2.807285] VFP support v0.3: implementor 41 architrecture 1 part 20 variant b rev 5

{Set Sysytem Clock}

{Wait 2sec}

[4.871115] VFS: Mounted root (vfat filesystem) on device 179:5

[4.885921] Freeing init memory: 140K

[4.893323] BFS CPU Scheduler v0.30 by Con Kovilas

[4.900974] Warning: unable to open initial console.

[4.908971] Failed to execute /init. Attempting defaults...

[4.924750] Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init=option to kernel

I believe there are some changes I need to continue to make to the default.txt load file.

Will keep trying.

Edited by W_Jester3

Guest W_Jester3
I believe there are some changes I need to continue to make to the default.txt load file.l.

Will keep trying.

This is a copy of my directory stucture.... I sync'd it to my HDD so excuse the C:

C:\Andromnia\Sync\My Storage>dir

Volume in drive C has no label.

Volume Serial Number is DA19-A54E

Directory of \My Storage

04/07/2011 01:50 AM <DIR> .

04/07/2011 01:50 AM <DIR> ..

03/29/2011 11:02 PM 292 changelog-I920.txt

04/07/2011 05:42 AM 166 default.txt

03/29/2011 11:26 PM 104,245,051 ext2.tar.gz

10/17/2010 01:46 PM 182,272 haret.exe

03/29/2011 10:41 PM 4,463,776 Image

03/29/2011 10:41 PM 197,059 o2b2update.tar.gz

04/07/2011 01:50 AM <DIR> o2beta

04/06/2011 01:08 AM 1,480,017 o2bupdate.tar.gz

7 File(s) 110,568,633 bytes

3 Dir(s) 126,461,710,336 bytes free

I also am attaching a copy of the default.txt file, which I have changed so far to update mmcblk.

default.txt

Edited by W_Jester3