About Android beta

Guest blue1zz

Guest elbee72
This is a copy of my directory stucture.... I sync'd it to my HDD so excuse the C:

03/29/2011 10:41 PM 197,059 o2b2update.tar.gz

04/07/2011 01:50 AM <DIR> o2beta

04/06/2011 01:08 AM 1,480,017 o2bupdate.tar.gz

The error message indicates there isn't a proper rootfs on your ext2 partition to boot android from.

So your installation probably went wrong, so good to focus on the installation.

better start with a clean SD with only a FAT partition.

when installing pse note the 10 last messages so you know if installation went ok.

i dont understand o2bupdate.tar.gz in o2beta, it doesn't belong there.

During android boot from ext2 only o2b2update.tar.gz from /MyStorage/ is detected, processed and deleted.

Guest elbee72
I did not get the android logo.

The o2b2update was deleted after the install.

I will try again and get the last 10 messages for you.

I am at work so I am not hooked up through windows. I will try again tonight to see if I can get adb to work.

hope you get adb working.

because the update mechanism from loadmod works, we could mess with the boot sequence to debug.

maybe some loggings after each module load?

i'll try to make a o2b2update.tar.gz for it ...

Guest W_Jester3

because the update mechanism from loadmod works, we could mess with the boot sequence to debug.

Tryin'

Sweet.

Oh... The o2update.....is the download of the latest 2d/3d 1Mb in size...... The original is back into place for troubleshooting purposes.

Yeah am going to try formatting the sd again just make it 2.0G and see what happens.

Let ya know, soon.

Guest elbee72

added some stuff in loadmod, but not sure if it can update itself with this method.

it needs two boots. it should create /MyStorage/loadmodlog.txt and even /MyStorage/dmesg.txt if all modules are loaded.

o2b2update.tar.gz

Guest W_Jester3

Just a quick thought.....

What if...... I make an 2G ext2 partition on the SD and a 2G FAT partition.... On the ext2 partition copy the rootfs files and leave the FAT patition blank and see if the install goes through??

Guest elbee72
Just a quick thought.....

What if...... I make an 2G ext2 partition on the SD and a 2G FAT partition.... On the ext2 partition copy the rootfs files and leave the FAT patition blank and see if the install goes through??

a lot is possible, but to start wih just a FAT partition and nothing more and a regular beta2 install is best.

install is possible on i920, pondd reached android (but not the gui yet).

some korean m7350 users (korean Omnia2 CMDA model) made a video i took snapshots from.

They seem to get to a simular point pondd does.

Not sure how simular the phone is to i920, but we can find out ..

post-753375-1302175658_thumb.jpg post-753375-1302175667_thumb.jpg

Guest W_Jester3
a lot is possible, but to start wih just a FAT partition and nothing more and a regular beta2 install is best.

install is possible on i920, pondd reached android (but not the gui yet)

I have tried just a 4G fat part..... Am going to part it to 2G and see what happens....

I am getting the same results everytime.... It is an issue with the pointing of the init in default.txt.... I have changed that to init.rc and a few others to try a few things.

I keep jumping back and forth between my linux and win7 partition; so I have been having all sorts of fun trying to keep up with what I have done already..

I'm right there, I can feel it.... just one or two changes and I think she'll boot.... (GUI would be great!)

LEt me know of any other ideas.

I con stipulate that the phone respone messages are quite the same as in the video.... (will try to make one of my own.) I think the

[4.909963] Failed to execute /init. attempting defaults................ is what is killing me.

I tried renaming to init.rc but that also failed to pick up.....

I am getting the rootfs mounted succesfully.

[4.871112] VFS: Mounted root (vfat filesystem) on device 179:5

Edited by W_Jester3

• 3 weeks later...
Guest OmniDaddy
Hi guys,

I want to make it work on i920 too. Someone with good computer skills and enthousiastic to start struggling with it please contact me!

Greetings Almar

I'm in, I have 2 920's and they just keep getting cheaper, I'm thinking about snatching up a few... dozen :mellow:

I have linux, windows, db, reg, vb, js, c, pl and experience, almost know enough to raise the defcon :o I'm a bit green with kitchens and rom flashing, but that's just details, what I really am is a thinker, I put the pieces together. Ready to struggle through it. FOR THE GOOD OF ALL MANKIND, COME ONE PEOPLE ARE YOU WITH ME!!!????

You're not taking swype from me, but the port will have to fix the dictionary issues. Point me in the right direction and light the match. I don't want to reinvent something you guys are already working on.

Oh, and I'm new, BTW, just got my o2's

Guest elbee72
I have linux, windows, db, reg, vb, js, c, pl and experience, almost know enough to raise the defcon :mellow: I'm a bit green with kitchens and rom flashing, but that's just details, what I really am is a thinker, I put the pieces together. Ready to struggle through it. FOR THE GOOD OF ALL MANKIND, COME ONE PEOPLE ARE YOU WITH ME!!!????

Oh, and I'm new, BTW, just got my o2's

Great, some extra help is always welcome, even more because devteam members don't own a i920.

Some extra help on testing/building front could speed-up development/tweaking as it did for b7610

My posts on this thread contain most things to get startet.

If you want more just mail me on elbee1972 at gmail dot com I can bring you up to speed in (almost) no-time ...

Guest OmniDaddy

What I know now from today's trials...

i920 will boot the uncompressed Image from the Alpha O2Droid, Alpha tested and runs as good as it did for everyone else :mellow:

On some beta2 attempts, I found that using the uncompressed image from the Alpha does work as someone mentioned here, to a point. That point is the SD installer.

In fact my SD card (external) will not recogize and initialization of mmcblk2 produces a -22 error referencing something about voltages being out of range or some crap, works fine in winblows so I don't know what that's about.

AND then.....

We try to format the SD card at mmcblk1 - only the system has it at /dev/mmcblk2 (per the error messages above.)

So it may be using the old kernel that is the problem, but it appears the i920 will need concession for the sd card to be @ /dev/mmcblk2

log.txt confirms that /dev/mmcblk1 does not exist.

Next in line is to start hacking sd.cpio script to validate the blk device number change as the problem. I may work on my own manual install and see if that flies further faster funner.

Guest manoflamatzah

:mellow: I admit that all I can do is sit on the sidelines and cheer you on - computing is not my field, and I have been watching this forum for over a year now.. I really like the O2, but if android would run on it... :o

Guest stoikoff

O2 is a good phone but android for O2 i dont thing so my sd cart dead for this formating thing :mellow: and just bay nex mouth LG optimus 2x and solved problem sorry for my eng

Guest OmniDaddy
O2 is a good phone but android for O2 i dont thing so my sd cart dead for this formating thing :o and just bay nex mouth LG optimus 2x and solved problem sorry for my eng

Have boot, need adb or something to get me through debugging the init and load mod, there was a lib path problem (fixed) and I'm running, just sit's and loops through the suspend check routine (awake or sleep for timeout control I would guess. This is a very positive development for 920's :mellow:

Guest DFaizi
Have boot, need adb or something to get me through debugging the init and load mod, there was a lib path problem (fixed) and I'm running, just sit's and loops through the suspend check routine (awake or sleep for timeout control I would guess. This is a very positive development for 920's :mellow:

nice job! indeed its a very positive step

Guest elbee72
Awesome. You guys Have my support. Let me know what I can do to help and/or what needs done.

some testing and finding (and patching) differences with i8000 setup/code.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

My wife and I both have SCH-i920s with the latest Verizon official update.. EDIT: I meant Samsung official update. :P I've been searching trying to find a better system for these phones, as the default settings are torture (phones freeze, lag, have to be restarted etc.) I stumbled on this and have been watching.. I'd help if I could but we use our phones all the time (got PagePlus unlimited for $45 / mo each phone, we can't afford a contract at this point unfortunately). My wife couldn't do without her phone, and I'm half the reason (her friends are the other half). So I can't risk breaking the phone(s).

However, with that being said, once you get to a reasonably stable point, (where calling and text messaging both work reliably for extended amounts of time and problems with those two features can be resolved by restarting) then let me know and maybe we can help. No coding, but can probably give you debug logs, find errors, and maybe give suggestions (hope they are useful to you).

Well, if the device can just be re-booted into M$ winDOwS and everything will work, (no chance of problems / having to lose all phone contacts, etc b/c of having to hard-reset to get back to working condition) then I might be able to help now.

Thanks, you guys rock! You remind me of another community I'm a part of... HLP Forums. They're into keeping the (now open-source) FreeSpace 2 space combat simulator engine & assets (those are not so open source but the game is now cheap) up to snuff. But their members are very helpful to each other with other problems when someone has a tech issue. :rolleyes:

Edited by jr2

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AldousFurlong

Anything new guys? I'd be willing to try whatever, I now work at a cell phone store, I can run this i920 into the dirt and get another phone. I don't want that. I love my Omnia, I want Android.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Z28 Blackhawk

does anyone know if almar is still working on the i920 android project? or any other successful advancements in this? just curious and anxious! ;)

Guest elbee72
does anyone know if almar is still working on the i920 android project? or any other successful advancements in this? just curious and anxious! ;)

I think he is not working on a i920 port, because he does not own such a device, and there are no linux testers with i920 to share info/feedback what is needed to adapt the i8000 port for i920.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest bagumka

Hello!

Maybe I can help in development of Android on i920? I can give developers Remote Desktop Connection to computer with connected to it i920. Will it help? Live me a message.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Noobs33

I would also be willing to volunteer to get android running on the i920 as winmoble sucks a nut! I'm no chef, but I'll test anything! someone help us!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

OK, so, which developers are interested in porting Android to the SCH-i920? I want to see if there is a way to set up a donation account and get SCH-i920's for all of them. I think I'll set up a poll to see which developers want to do this and which members are interested in donating. However, we would also need someone to be in charge of the funds, yes? I mean I could, however, there's no reason to trust me. Maybe an admin? Ideas / Input / Concerns?

Edited by jr2