Defy warranty question

Guest Nielzs

So, i want the defy as my next phone, but i see this in the warranty section of the manual:

"Defects or damage due to moisture, liquid, extreme humidity, heavy

perspiration or other moisture, sand, food, dirt or similar substances, caused

from incorrectly securing the Product’s protective elements and/or subjecting

the Products to conditions exceeding any stated specification or limit."

Can someone tell me, or point me to somewhere, what the stated specification or limits are in specific conditions for this phone?

I see youtube movies of the Defy in a glass of water and nothing happens to it, but if it does get water damage from it, how do you state that happened within the limits or any stated specification?

Greetz,

Guest Sorensiim

The Defy is marketed as being IP67 certified: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

The first digit refers to solids, 6 being the highest rating: Dust tight No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact

The second digit refers to fluids, 7 being the second-highest rating: Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion). - For 30 minutes.

The Defy is marketed as being IP67 certified: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

The first digit refers to solids, 6 being the highest rating: Dust tight No ingress of dust; complete protection against contact

The second digit refers to fluids, 7 being the second-highest rating: Ingress of water in harmful quantity shall not be possible when the enclosure is immersed in water under defined conditions of pressure and time (up to 1 m of submersion). - For 30 minutes.

Many thanks!

So nothing about scratching the gorilla glass?

This baby should last me for about two years...easy!

Guest Sorensiim

I am a hamfisted ogre with two small kids (5 & 2 years old) and I let them handle my phone without any worries, just as I no longer take any special caution when it comes to using my phone no matter what I'm doing. My Defy still looks brand new, after about 3 months of daily use. Nothing short of amazing. Add to this that with a little tweaking, this phone runs circles around HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S and the likes, all while lasting for two days use on a single charge, and you've got yourself a winner!

I am a hamfisted ogre with two small kids (5 & 2 years old) and I let them handle my phone without any worries, just as I no longer take any special caution when it comes to using my phone no matter what I'm doing. My Defy still looks brand new, after about 3 months of daily use. Nothing short of amazing. Add to this that with a little tweaking, this phone runs circles around HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S and the likes, all while lasting for two days use on a single charge, and you've got yourself a winner!

Nice, that's all i needed to know to make up my mind.

I couldn't choose between the Defy or Nexus one, but with Froyo coming to the Defy, i don't see any reason why not to go for the Defy..

Guest Sorensiim
Nice, that's all i needed to know to make up my mind.

I couldn't choose between the Defy or Nexus one, but with Froyo coming to the Defy, i don't see any reason why not to go for the Defy..

I had the HTC Desire (Nexus One) before and the Defy out-performs it, has double the battery life and I don't have to worry about it getting damaged. To be honest, the only thing I miss is the online kitchen here at Modaco, but Paul is brewing someting awfully nice for the Defy.

And I'm already running Froyo on mine :lol:

Edited by Sorensiim

I had the HTC Desire (Nexus One) before and the Defy out-performs it, has double the battery life and I don't have to worry about it getting damaged. To be honest, the only thing I miss is the online kitchen here at Modaco, but Paul is brewing someting awfully nice for the Defy.

And I'm already running Froyo on mine :lol:

All good news then.

I can extend my contract with t-mobile in March, so i'll have my Defy in by the end of March i reckon.

Can't wait!

Guest Rickardo
I am a hamfisted ogre with two small kids (5 & 2 years old) and I let them handle my phone without any worries

I thought that, but my wife borrowed it for just a couple of hours whilst she was shopping (I took her phone to get unlocked) and lo and behold the glass is scratched (about 2cm long directly vertically down from the ear piece)!! God knows how but no doubt was jiggling around in her handbag with keys etc which was then probably sat on/squashed into the pram - luckily can't see it with the screen on. The sides and back are completely flawless! :lol:

I thought that, but my wife borrowed it for just a couple of hours whilst she was shopping (I took her phone to get unlocked) and lo and behold the glass is scratched (about 2cm long directly vertically down from the ear piece)!! God knows how but no doubt was jiggling around in her handbag with keys etc which was then probably sat on/squashed into the pram - luckily can't see it with the screen on. The sides and back are completely flawless! ;)

So what do i have learned from this?

Never lent out my defy to my wife. And don't sit on it ;-)

But the scratch isn't covered by the warranty? Gorilla glass and all...advertised as scratchproof..

So what do i have learned from this?

Never lent out my defy to my wife. And don't sit on it ;-)

But the scratch isn't covered by the warranty? Gorilla glass and all...advertised as scratchproof..

Gorilla glass isn't scratch proof - just scratch resistant - I found that to my cost on the Milestone. If you really want to keep the Defy pristine you can get a Gel case and screen protector on eBay for about 4 quid. Actually works quite well as IMO it makes the phone more grippy and easier to hold and makes it even more robust against knocks and scrapes.

+1 to Sorensiim's comments on the phone itself though. I've have several Android phones since the G1 and the Defy is the first Android phone (if not smartphone) made for the real world - i.e. class-leading battery life whilst keeping a decent turn of speed, ideal pocket friendly size, decent loudspeaker for SatNav etc, some real thought gone into the built in apps (smart Music player, DLNA client and server), very reasonable price, and unlike all the competition you don't have to be afraid if you drop it or use it have to use it in the rain. I'm lovin' it.

Edited by Metoo