Is there a 2.2 ROM with a working proximity sensor?

Guest tonydl

I could'nt find detailled information about this. Is the proximity sensor not working for all of you or is it just me?

Sometimes I accidentally hang up because it seems that I touch the phone with my ear while calling somebody.

The proximity sensor tester from the market wasn't able to detect anything at all. I hope my device is not broken :lol:

Or is it just the JJ ROM which somehow breaks the proximity sensor?

----

Oh and there's another thing:

Does somebody know a ROM (or a fix) with a working accellerometer while the screen is in standby? Would be great for apps like step-counters (while jogging) and sleep-phase alarms (to save some battery).

thanks in advance,

tony

The proximity sensor works fine on my phone with JJ & all the other roms I've tried. Your phone may be broken.

No known fix, as far as I'm aware, a lot of things seem to get killed in standby. The only workaround might be to keep the phone from going into sleep mode, but that's going to hurt your battery life a lot.

Guest doubleluckstur

The proximity sensor works for me in every rom apart from JJ. It's strange... I've tried out most roms on here on my white SF TFT screen and only JJ proximity does not work.

I don't think it's broken. Why don't you try a different rom to see if we are having the same problem with JJ?

Edited by doubleluckstur

Guest oh!dougal

Oh and there's another thing:

Does somebody know a ROM (or a fix) with a working accellerometer while the screen is in standby? Would be great for apps like step-counters (while jogging) and sleep-phase alarms (to save some battery).

thanks in advance,

tony

Tony you are confusing two different phone states

- screen save (screen off, touch locked, front buttons wake the screen to lockscreen, but everything else available)

and

- "proper" sleep, when everything except the phone radio (and thus mobile data), and the power button are disabled. So, in "proper sleep" there is no gps, no wifi, no missed call led and no accelerometer either. That (for now) is the way the hardware works, whatever rom you use.

Lots of apps (music players, MyTracks (GPS tracking), etc, etc) can keep the phone awake and doing stuff with the screen off.

And when its on charge its in screen-save, and NOT in "proper sleep", don't be fooled like so many are by that behaviour.

Oh yeah, you also need to know (before you post on the subject) that when it times out and 'goes to sleep', the phone goes into screen-save for a few seconds on its way into proper sleep ...

Nothing is going to be able to talk to the accelerometer while in "proper sleep", because the sensor is not going to be getting any power.

Shouldn't be a problem (apart from power consumption) in screen-save though.

Bitch at ZTE like the rest of us, and use search to find lots of discussion of this power management stuff (but not specifically about the accelerometer) going back to October. Notification LEDs, waking from the front buttons and wifi not staying alive are the main headings you'll find this under ...

Guest hecatae
I could'nt find detailled information about this. Is the proximity sensor not working for all of you or is it just me?

Sometimes I accidentally hang up because it seems that I touch the phone with my ear while calling somebody.

The proximity sensor tester from the market wasn't able to detect anything at all. I hope my device is not broken :lol:

Or is it just the JJ ROM which somehow breaks the proximity sensor?

could you please enter engineering mode

put the phone into "Engineering Mode" first, by dialling *ZTE*OPENEM# (*983*673636#) -- this action will be confirmed by a quick pop-up.

dial *ZTE*CHIPINFO# (or *983*24474636#) and post the information presented

To close this mode, dial *ZTE*CLOSEEM# (*983*2567336#) -- this then prompts whether you want to do a Factory Reset, which you do not have to do (you can simply Back away from this screen).

there are 3 different screen types out there

2 TFTs Truly and Lead,

and one OLED, Samsung.

If we can find out which one you have, it can be reported back and looked at.

- screen save (screen off, touch locked, front buttons wake the screen to lockscreen, but everything else available)

and

- "proper" sleep, when everything except the phone radio (and thus mobile data), and the power button are disabled. So, in "proper sleep" there is no gps, no wifi, no missed call led and no accelerometer either. That (for now) is the way the hardware works, whatever rom you use.

Lots of apps (music players, MyTracks (GPS tracking), etc, etc) can keep the phone awake and doing stuff with the screen off.

And when its on charge its in screen-save, and NOT in "proper sleep", don't be fooled like so many are by that behaviour.

Oh yeah, you also need to know (before you post on the subject) that when it times out and 'goes to sleep', the phone goes into screen-save for a few seconds on its way into proper sleep ...

thanks for your clarification. but while the "screen save" the phones display is completely off, isnt it?

Because this is what this app tries to do - truning the screen off - the accelerometer won't work then. I have to use a "dim only" option - which will let the display "glow" a little during the night.

(I am referring to this app).

2 TFTs Truly and Lead,

and one OLED, Samsung.

If we can find out which one you have, it can be reported back and looked at.

I got the Samsung OLED display.

I am going to wipe and reinstall the current JJ9 ROM. Maybe I'll test another ROM when the proximity meter still won't work - but actually I like the JJ - seems quite good.

thank you all for your replies :-)

tony

Edited by tonydl

Guest Maringer

I've encountered the proximity sensor problems in the past with one of kk's FinnishFillyjonk ROMs.

If you can manage to enter engineering mode, you can recalibrate the sensor quite easily and this will sort the problem out.

However, I'm using JJ9, and I can't access the engineering mode using the codes.

I understand that you may need to install some files to be able to access this engineering mode.

As I'm not sure what these are, personally, I'd install a FinnishFillyjonk ROM (which I know supports the EM), recalibrate the sensors, check it is working correctly and then reinstall JJ9.

A little time-consuming, but worth a try, I'd have thought!

Guest doubleluckstur
I've encountered the proximity sensor problems in the past with one of kk's FinnishFillyjonk ROMs.

If you can manage to enter engineering mode, you can recalibrate the sensor quite easily and this will sort the problem out.

However, I'm using JJ9, and I can't access the engineering mode using the codes.

I understand that you may need to install some files to be able to access this engineering mode.

As I'm not sure what these are, personally, I'd install a FinnishFillyjonk ROM (which I know supports the EM), recalibrate the sensors, check it is working correctly and then reinstall JJ9.

A little time-consuming, but worth a try, I'd have thought!

all you have to do is download the zte dialer from rls 7 (its on the JJ download page) and flash that; this will give the zte functions back to the device. can you please tell me how to recalibrate the sensors? that would be much appreciated :lol:

Guest Maringer

I don't remember the exact procedure but, as I recall, once you have entered engineering mode you can scroll down the screen and there should be a sensors section. I think that there is a button to switch between light and proximity sensors with another button to recalibrate the selected sensor. This worked with my girlfriend's SF (an LCD one).

Guest punkmilitia

and

Nothing is going to be able to talk to the accelerometer while in "proper sleep", because the sensor is not going to be getting any power.

Shouldn't be a problem (apart from power consumption) in screen-save though.

Bitch at ZTE like the rest of us, and use search to find lots of discussion of this power management stuff (but not specifically about the accelerometer) going back to October. Notification LEDs, waking from the front buttons and wifi not staying alive are the main headings you'll find this under ...

hmm. well... I'm on JJ8 and when I press the power button once so everything is still running in the background - but so I cant touch the screen by accedent and when I use CardioTrainer and go for a walk it doesn't track it, it only does it when the screen is left 100% on, OP, don't worry, your phone is ok.

Edited by punkmilitia

Guest Rotmann

CardioTrainer/RunKeeper/Endomondo work perfectly on FLB R6 and Seb's de-softened when you put the phone to sleep (press Power once). Proximity sensor also. I think there is a bug in JJ.

CardioTrainer/RunKeeper/Endomondo work perfectly on FLB R6 and Seb's de-softened when you put the phone to sleep (press Power once). Proximity sensor also. I think there is a bug in JJ.

thanks - I think I have to give FLB a try. As far as I know both ROMs won't get continued at the moment ;)

Edit: Just read that fibblesan is planning to release rls7 within this week. Great news - gonna wait for this release then ;)

Edited by tonydl

Guest Rotmann

Flibblesan is back again, he will release RLS7 next week ;) Please share your thoughts when you switch compared to JJ.

Edited by Rotmann

My proximity sensor work well from JJ RLS 4 to 7 and 9. But I just found it not working after I install A2SD.

### added ###

I removed A2SD and it doesn't work. And I also reinstall phone.apk (extracted from JJ RLS's ROM) which makes no difference. Too bad...

Edited by wtel

My proximity sensor work well from JJ RLS 4 to 7 and 9. But I just found it not working after I install A2SD.

### added ###

I removed A2SD and it doesn't work. And I also reinstall phone.apk (extracted from JJ RLS's ROM) which makes no difference. Too bad...

Yeah somethings seems to be broken in JJ with the proximity sensor..

Guest doubleluckstur

get android commander.. backup current system/app.. download zte dialler addon for rls9 (its available from JJ download page).. type in the code "*ZTE*OPENEM# (*983*673636#)".. once its in emode type '*983*0#' then at the bottom run the sensor test and click both the boxes (I did.. dont know which one fixes it) then once its complete.. replace all apps in system/app with the ones you backed up using android commander and the stock dialer should be back with fixed proximity sensor. Easy.. lol. I tested this twice and worked.. but the were both with white SF's so I'm not sure if this would work with OLED.. best thing to do is to try ;)

Hope this helps!

Edited by doubleluckstur

get android commander.. backup current system/app.. download zte dialler addon for rls9 (its available from JJ download page).. type in the code "*ZTE*OPENEM# (*983*673636#)".. once its in emode type '*983*0#' then at the bottom run the sensor test and click both the boxes (I did.. dont know which one fixes it) then once its complete.. replace all apps in system/app with the ones you backed up using android commander and the stock dialer should be back with fixed proximity sensor. Easy.. lol. I tested this twice and worked.. but the were both with white SF's so I'm not sure if this would work with OLED.. best thing to do is to try ;)

Hope this helps!

I followed what you've said but it doesn't work.

When I pressed calib, it showed "Proximity Calibration OK". It showed "Proximity: yes" when I covered the sensor and "Proximity: no" when I uncovered it.

Mine is OLED

***ADDED***

Strange it works after I received a call. I was testing by calling my voicemail. Anyway it works. Thank you!

Edited by wtel