Advent Vega kernel source code now available!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest ejtagle

Hi,

Thanks for the great explanation. Is bluetooth also provided by the AR6002? So If you unload the ar6000.ko then bluetooth will not work anymore - right?

What we do is to load the ar6000.ko module in init.rc and we do not unload it anymore, so BT will keep working even when wifi is turned off.

I did the same with my AR6002 driver of the Harmony Dev Board. So when you load it before wpa_supplicant gets started you will avoid all of those problems.

Maybe the AR6002 driver I am using for the Harmony Board is more advanced like yours. I can upload it on github if you want....

This are great new. I have uploaded your last version into my github as I wanted to fix the pppd stuff, but decided not to work on it right now, as when will will publish a new .zip I would have do do diff's in order not to remove my own changes and it would be pretty time costly.

One more question: Do you have 3G built in in the vega? Or are you going to use USB modems like we do it?

Regards, Artem

Bluetooth is provided by a companion chip to the AR600x, not by the AR600x itself. But both share the same antennae , clock and power supplies... So, yes, to make bluettoth work, you need to also to initialize the wifi function, even if not associted to any acces point. Between both chips there are some signals used for bluetooth coexistance. That is the main reason for requiring the initialization of the AR600x before the bluettoth function starts to work. In the latest Atheros doc i uploaded, seems Android already implements such dependency...It is just a matter of defining some constants before compilation of AOSP... Yes, loading the ar600x module would fix the firmware issues, but would also prevent softap mode to work.. Reason is that you need to reload the module to switch operating modes (sse the fwmode parameter on the module initialization)...Better to keep things as they are right now, and let android load and unload the module as required ;)

I have a POV mobii tablet with a em770W 3G modem. It is a mini pcie card, but is exposed to the linux kernel as an USB modem with 6 USB serial ports... And it behaves exactly like a USB 3G modem.. It recognizes exactly the same AT commands, including the ones required to use audio ... I tried the ones you posted, and they are recognized without issue.

The same module (EM770W) exposes a GPS interface through the last 2 serial ports ;) ...

So, i guess.. yes, the generic huawei ril will work, not only for the builtin module, but for all external huawei modules :) - even for modules plugged in into the tablet into the USB port

Guest DerArtem

Hi,

Bluetooth is provided by a companion chip to the AR600x, not by the AR600x itself. But both share the same antennae , clock and power supplies... So, yes, to make bluettoth work, you need to also to initialize the wifi function, even if not associted to any acces point. Between both chips there are some signals used for bluetooth coexistance. That is the main reason for requiring the initialization of the AR600x before the bluettoth function starts to work. In the latest Atheros doc i uploaded, seems Android already implements such dependency...It is just a matter of defining some constants before compilation of AOSP... Yes, loading the ar600x module would fix the firmware issues, but would also prevent softap mode to work.. Reason is that you need to reload the module to switch operating modes (sse the fwmode parameter on the module initialization)...Better to keep things as they are right now, and let android load and unload the module as required ;)

Ok, I see. For us unloading the ar6000.ko does not work, as reloading it can fail. And a reboot is required to get it working again.

But if Bluetooth is also provided by the ar6000.ko - how can it continue working without that module?

I have also found a interesting PDF on the net: http://cjix.info/blo...6003Android.pdf

It looks like the newer ar6003 support WOW - which should be used on newer androids like ICS...

I have a POV mobii tablet with a em770W 3G modem. It is a mini pcie card, but is exposed to the linux kernel as an USB modem with 6 USB serial ports... And it behaves exactly like a USB 3G modem.. It recognizes exactly the same AT commands, including the ones required to use audio ... I tried the ones you posted, and they are recognized without issue.

The same module (EM770W) exposes a GPS interface through the last 2 serial ports ;) ...

So, i guess.. yes, the generic huawei ril will work, not only for the builtin module, but for all external huawei modules :) - even for modules plugged in into the tablet into the USB port

Yes, I also have such a miniPCI card here. Unfortunatly I broke the main antenna connector on it while disconnecting it from my notebook - so I have a signal strengt of 0 on it :(

PS: I saw that nvidia has release kernel 3.1 - I have already tried it out on my Harmony board - the have also re-included all the harmony stuff that was missing on the .39 kernel - so it was instantly working without any issues on the harmony board. Videa acceleration is also working ....

PPS: The only problem I discovered yet it a very bad mini USB port performance - adb is working very bad!

Edited by DerArtem

Guest ejtagle

Hi,

Ok, I see. For us unloading the ar6000.ko does not work, as reloading it can fail. And a reboot is required to get it working again.

But if Bluetooth is also provided by the ar6000.ko - how can it continue working without that module?

Because the bluetooth companion chip is connected to one of the high speed usarts of the Tegra SOC, so, it does not require the ar600x kernel module to work... But, as the physical antenna is shared between the AR600x chip and the bluetooth chip, you need to initialize the ar600x chip as it is the one controlling who is using the antenna at which time... Without initialization of the ar600x, the antenna gets assigned to noone, so bluetooth does not work.. :(

I have also found a interesting PDF on the net: http://cjix.info/blo...6003Android.pdf

It looks like the newer ar6003 support WOW - which should be used on newer androids like ICS...

Both the AR6002/3 drivers support WoW, but, you must enable that funtion by modifying! the driver sources... It is a variable that tells the mode to be used when the cards suspend. The problems we both usually have is that we did not get clean AR600x driver sources. So, some manufacturers already modify the drivers sources to adapt them to their hw... Those modifications should be reviewed and undone/adapted, if needed...

Yes, I also have such a miniPCI card here. Unfortunatly I broke the main antenna connector on it while disconnecting it from my notebook - so I have a signal strengt of 0 on it :(

Probably fixable ;)

PS: I saw that nvidia has release kernel 3.1 - I have already tried it out on my Harmony board - the have also re-included all the harmony stuff that was missing on the .39 kernel - so it was instantly working without any issues on the harmony board. Videa acceleration is also working ....

PPS: The only problem I discovered yet it a very bad mini USB port performance - adb is working very bad!

Those Nvidia guys... Seems like a neverending story... Will have to try it ;)

Regards

Eduardo

Guest DerArtem

Hi,

I have ported kernel 3.1 it to my folio. Now I run into the first serious problem:

The mmc cards are not restored correctly after suspend....

Guest ejtagle

Well... This is my latest version of the generic Huawei RIL... I have tested it as much as i can, but, i need to rebuild a full AOSP to test it further. The ril should support not only data connections, but also voice calls and SMS... So, i need an AOSP image with all those apps and services required to test those features.

Until i do it, i am posting the resulting RIL, so it can be tested by others ... Feel free to report problems and bugs regarding it. I will try to fix all problems :) -- Also, patches are welcome :)

Regards,

Eduardo

huawei-generic-27feb.rar

Regards

Eduardo

NNNNNnnnnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :)

Edited by Cass67

VegaICS Beta1 released ... hopefully get feedback on the fixes Eduardo . infact im sure we will :)

Ive not had time to implement the telephony stuff yet .. ill get to that for a later release ...

Guest ejtagle

Well, posting my WIP (work in progress) port of the nvidia3.1 kernel to the shuttle hw. Completely untested, but at least, compiles without giving neither errors or important warnings... Tomorrow i will try it... I had to forward port the mmc wakelock system to the new mmc stack of the 3.1 kernel, as the original wakelock system has very weird problems when suspending and more than 1 sdhci host is used at the same time (in our case, wifi + mmc card) ... Fixed several warnings and also fixed the yaffs2 fs ... Don't know if it is worth the trouble to use this kernel.. Will have to try it to see ... ;)

nv3.1.rar

Well, posting my WIP (work in progress) port of the nvidia3.1 kernel to the shuttle hw. Completely untested, but at least, compiles without giving neither errors or important warnings... Tomorrow i will try it... I had to forward port the mmc wakelock system to the new mmc stack of the 3.1 kernel, as the original wakelock system has very weird problems when suspending and more than 1 sdhci host is used at the same time (in our case, wifi + mmc card) ... Fixed several warnings and also fixed the yaffs2 fs ... Don't know if it is worth the trouble to use this kernel.. Will have to try it to see ... ;)

Ill check it out later !

Can you check your PM ?

tx

Cass

Guest pischla

Sorry for being thickheaded, but I'm wondering if the internal ew770 3g modem is supposed to work with the Beta release? Also what about GPS?

GPS Status says that gps is not activated although it is in the menu. 3G seems also not to work as I'm not seeing any APN's.

Sorry for being thickheaded, but I'm wondering if the internal ew770 3g modem is supposed to work with the Beta release? Also what about GPS?

GPS Status says that gps is not activated although it is in the menu. 3G seems also not to work as I'm not seeing any APN's.

If you read the first post over at TR, you'll see that in the 'In Progress' section, Cass is asking for users of 3G variants of the tablet to provide full logging information to try to determine the cause of the problems.

As you're having problems with 3G, maybe provided the required logs may help to get it fixed.

Guest ejtagle

Just to keep all updated. i wrote a new touchscreen driver based on the reverse engineered IT7260 driver on the .32 kernel. This one is based on the commands used by the .32 driver, and not on the commands documented in the PDF. Most commands are the same, but there are some differences... Perhaps it will prevent the oversensitivity sometimes found on some vegas... Will continue testing it. If i find that ir helps, i will release it :)

Guest pischla

The sensitivity seems a bit strange. I get the tablet to work pretty good by holding it in a 45 degree angle with my hand in the lower left side of screen. The sensitivity do not go away if held somewhere else! I only have the problem when I plug in the charger.

Magic hands...

EDIT: I have had the sensitivity issue since I bought the tablet, even stock rom.

Edited by pischla

Guest kipper641

The sensitivity seems a bit strange. I get the tablet to work pretty good by holding it in a 45 degree angle with my hand in the lower left side of screen. The sensitivity do not go away if held somewhere else! I only have the problem when I plug in the charger.

Magic hands...

EDIT: I have had the sensitivity issue since I bought the tablet, even stock rom.

Was this not a known problem ?

IIRC it could be solved by using a better regualted power supply.

Keith

Guest pischla

Was this not a known problem ?

IIRC it could be solved by using a better regualted power supply.

Keith

Seems to work for the people that change their adapters, I just thought the issue and how I solved it is a bit strange. That by holding the tablet differently makes it less sensitive.

I don't use mine that much with power plugged in that it's an issue for me.

Guest MikhailM

Just to keep all updated. i wrote a new touchscreen driver based on the reverse engineered IT7260 driver on the .32 kernel. This one is based on the commands used by the .32 driver, and not on the commands documented in the PDF. Most commands are the same, but there are some differences... Perhaps it will prevent the oversensitivity sometimes found on some vegas... Will continue testing it. If i find that ir helps, i will release it :)

If it works, you will have increased the devotion of your admirers by another 25% at least!

Guest sqweek

So I've just read like 40 pages of this thread, and I have to say... Eduardo, you are relentless! Much respect!

Great work from the other devs too!

I've been trying to compile a custom kernel for my vega... the only change I want to make is "CONFIG_USB_RTL8150=y" to support a USB-to-Ethernet adapter so that my partner can use the vega at her work (where there is no wireless AP).

I'm not having any luck though, every boot.img that I've created so far has just left the vega on a black screen. Is there any kernel command line arguments I can use to help diagnose the problem? Preferably that don't require USB connectivity, as I haven't managed to get adb working via USB (only TCP).

Is it even possible for me to get away with just updating the boot.img? I'm worried that even if I succeed in getting a kernel in there that boots, it will find a wlan driver built against a different kernel version and I'll have to update the system image aswell...

Sorry to bother you with all these questions, but is there any chance of a current set of patches against the 2.6.36/2.6.39 kernel? Whichever is easiest, it's hard to keep track of all the attachments posted so far is all blink.gif I just want to get to a known state

Also, is the recommended cross-compiler still android-ndk-r5b/arm-eabi-4.4.0?

Thanks for your time!

-sqweek

Edited by sqweek

Guest richardmlea

I think I may have some discovered something that maybe affecting this issue.

Yesterday I received 5 replacement touchscreen from china and have been fitting them. The first one I fitted failed to work (after re-flashing rom and T.S. calibration). The tablet is booting quickly so the controller is detected by the mainboard (If no touchscreen controller isn’t detected at boot, it hangs for about 60 seconds and then boots as normal).

Thinking it may be a faulty touchscreen I tried another one, this was also was totally unresponsive. It was getting very late and redeye had set in, so I gave up and went to bed to have a think about the problem.

After a nights rest I realised that the chances of 2 touchscreens being faulty was slim so the problem lay elsewhere.

I then downloaded this calibration app http://www.tabletroms.com/forums/attachments/vega-frequently-asked-questions/610d1315327236-how-do-i-fix-my-vega-touch-screen-became-unresponsive-buggy-moduleap.apk and tried it on moddedstock, It didn’t get the touchscreen working but did give me more options and information about the touchscreen. With this app you can read the touchscreen firmware and config file versions and upgrade the firmware and config files. This gave idea that the new touchscreens probably have the wrong firmware on them so I tested the new touchscreens and a couple of original Vega touchscreens and they have different firmware and config file versions (even after flashing several roms while connected, so flashing roms is doing nothing to the touchscreen controller). I have also found that the 2 original Vega touchscreens have slightly different versions, this could account for some people having T.S. problems and others never seeing a problem (like Cass).

Here are the versions I have found

Firmware version 1.7.20.21

Config version 1.7.5.14

This is a working (cracked) original Vega touchsceen. To my knowledge this touchsceen worked well before it was cracked.

Firmware version 1.7.0.18

Config version 1.7.5.8

This was off my Original Vega. This looks like older firmware. This T.S. was always very glitchy (even before I started customising the Vega)

Firmware version 99.4.8.0

Config version 99.4.248.127

This is the replacement touchscreen I got from china, all 5 have this firmware config. I presume these may be the firmware and config files for a Viewsonic 10S as they are advertised as this. This firmware and config doesn’t work with the Vega but some communication is going on because there is no 60 second hang at boot.

Maybe a poll asking people to install the calibration module and check there firmware version then report back with their findings and if they have touchscreen/charging issues. With this info we could see if there is a version that performs

best. I will test the calibration app on a few different Roms to make sure it works and doesn’t cause problems and then I will post a poll.

Too my issue, the calibration module will let me upgrade the firmware but wont let me rip/backup the firmware and config files so I don’t have the files to flash to the new touchsceens. I have had a search for the config files but have been unable to find them.

Can anyone suggest where I can download these files or how I can rip/backup them from a touchscreens I have that works.

Thanks in advance for your help

P.S. I have found this user programming guide for the IT7260, it maybe of some use to eduardo or others (you have probably seen it already) http://www.docin.com/p-165227169.html

Edited by richardmlea

Guest ejtagle

Yesterday I received 5 replacement touchscreen from china and have been fitting them. The first one I fitted failed to work (after re-flashing rom and T.S. calibration). The tablet is booting quickly so the controller is detected by the mainboard (If no touchscreen controller isn’t detected at boot, it hangs for about 60 seconds and then boots as normal).

Thinking it may be a faulty touchscreen I tried another one, this was also was totally unresponsive. It was getting very late and redeye had set in, so I gave up and went to bed to have a think about the problem.

After a nights rest I realised that the chances of 2 touchscreens being faulty was slim so the problem lay elsewhere.

I then downloaded this calibration app http://www.tabletrom...gy-moduleap.apk and tried it on moddedstock, It didn’t get the touchscreen working but did give me more options and information about the touchscreen. With this app you can read the touchscreen firmware and config file versions and upgrade the firmware and config files. This gave idea that the new touchscreens probably have the wrong firmware on them so I tested the new touchscreens and a couple of original Vega touchscreens and they have different firmware and config file versions (even after flashing several roms while connected, so flashing roms is doing nothing to the touchscreen controller). I have also found that the 2 original Vega touchscreens have slightly different versions, this could account for some people having T.S. problems and others never seeing a problem (like Cass).

Config version 1.7.5.14

This is a working (cracked) original Vega touchsceen. To my knowledge this touchsceen worked well before it was cracked.

Config version 1.7.5.8

This was off my Original Vega. This looks like older firmware. This T.S. was always very glitchy (even before I started customising the Vega)

This is the replacement touchscreen I got from china, all 5 have this firmware config. I presume these may be the firmware and config files for a Viewsonic 10S as they are advertised as this. This firmware and config doesn’t work with the Vega but some communication is going on because there is no 60 second hang at boot.

Maybe a poll asking people to install the calibration module and check there firmware version then report back with their findings and if they have touchscreen/charging issues. With this info we could see if there is a version that performs

best. I will test the calibration app on a few different Roms to make sure it works and doesn’t cause problems and then I will post a poll.

Too my issue, the calibration module will let me upgrade the firmware but wont let me rip/backup the firmware and config files so I don’t have the files to flash to the new touchsceens. I have had a search for the config files but have been unable to find them.

Can anyone suggest where I can download these files or how I can rip/backup them from a touchscreens I have that works.

P.S. I have found this user programming guide for the IT7260, it maybe of some use to eduardo or others (you have probably seen it already) http://www.docin.com/p-165227169.html

Richard... Believe it or not, it is possible to dump the firmware and the config files... ;) -- Seems there is no protection against it. I tried a java decompiler on the calibration tool, and seems the routines to dump the firmware are there... They are just not used ;) -- On the touchscreen driver i been writing, i also added the routines to dump the firmware for documentation purposes, but do not use them... I wouldnt be surprised if with a proper firmware, we could fix, even enhance, the controller performance...

Guest Cass67

I then downloaded this calibration app http://www.tabletrom...gy-moduleap.apk and tried it on moddedstock, It didn’t get the touchscreen working but did give me more options and information about the touchscreen. With this app you can read the touchscreen firmware and config file versions and upgrade the firmware and config files. This gave idea that the new touchscreens probably have the wrong firmware on them so I tested the new touchscreens and a couple of original Vega touchscreens and they have different firmware and config file versions (even after flashing several roms while connected, so flashing roms is doing nothing to the touchscreen controller). I have also found that the 2 original Vega touchscreens have slightly different versions, this could account for some people having T.S. problems and others never seeing a problem (like Cass).

Config version 1.7.5.14

Config version 1.7.5.8

Hey Richard ..

First chance ive had to sit down and look at this .... unfortunately i get nothing much back from that app regarding the firmware and config versions ...

Firmware Version: 0.0.0.0

Config Version: 0.0.0.0

As you say i don't have problems with this screen, but im not sure what's going on here regarding the output ... as when i launch the app it gives me a Cant find IT2760 device or some such error ....

<6>[ 3.083303] it7260 4-0046: IT7260 touchscreen Driver

<3>[ 3.345502] it7260 4-0046: signature not found. Perhaps IT7260 does not want to ID itself...

as far as i can remember ive always had that message in the logs too ...

Rgds

Cass

Guest Oldbarzo

Hey Richard ..

First chance ive had to sit down and look at this .... unfortunately i get nothing much back from that app regarding the firmware and config versions ...

Firmware Version: 0.0.0.0

Config Version: 0.0.0.0

As you say i don't have problems with this screen, but im not sure what's going on here regarding the output ... as when i launch the app it gives me a Cant find IT2760 device or some such error ....

<6>[ 3.083303] it7260 4-0046: IT7260 touchscreen Driver

<3>[ 3.345502] it7260 4-0046: signature not found. Perhaps IT7260 does not want to ID itself...

as far as i can remember ive always had that message in the logs too ...

Rgds

Cass

Same response here on my Vega "can't find IT2760 device"

Stransky

Guest Cass67

Eduardo,

Can you look to this one ..

http://pastebin.com/qCgcX63S

Seems after talking to a user we get a suspend then auto reboot .. not sure what to make of it but it ties in with the other issues we see in suspend i think, this is the first i see to auto reboot .. i suspect his sdcard is to blame so i suggest a format and try again but.. its not nice to see sdcard possibly causing a reboot ;)

Guest richardmlea

Same response here on my Vega "can't find IT2760 device"

Stransky

Sorry I have been ill for the last few days and still feel crap so I didn’t even look at the poll. I was starting to feel bad when I posted the poll so maybe that’s why I didn’t give a link to the moduleap program. I will correct that in a second and post a link on XDA.

Did I say that the moduleap calibration tool only works on moddodstock (maybe stock advent rom too). I tried it on honeyice and ics and get the same "cant find it7260 device" and firmware version 0.0.0.0. I will try corvus5 in a second.

Have you both tried it in Moddedstock? for me it works fine under moddedstock, I can even hotswap touchscreens (very carefully) and get different version information after swapping the touchscreen. I have also used it on 3 different Vegas so it should work.

The Moduleap must but looking wrong place for the touchscreen controller under other roms. If someone could make it work in other roms we will get more response as its a pain backing up and installing moddedstock just to run this app. I will post logs of it running in moddedstock in a bit.

Edited by richardmlea

Guest Cass67

Sorry I have been ill for the last few days and still feel crap so I didn’t even look at the poll. I was starting to feel bad when I posted the poll so maybe that’s why I didn’t give a link to the moduleap program. I will correct that in a second and post a link on XDA.

Did I say that the moduleap calibration tool only works on moddodstock (maybe stock advent rom too). I tried it on honeyice and ics and get the same "cant find it7260 device" and firmware version 0.0.0.0. I will try corvus5 in a second.

Have you both tried it in Moddedstock? for me it works fine under moddedstock, I can even hotswap touchscreens (very carefully) and get different version information after swapping the touchscreen. I have also used it on 3 different Vegas so it should work.

The Moduleap must but looking wrong place for the touchscreen controller under other roms. If someone could make it work in other roms we will get more response as its a pain backing up and installing moddedstock just to run this app. I will post logs of it running in moddedstock in a bit.

Not tried stock .. but for the purposes of the test i will .. hope your feeling better ;)

edit :-

Firmware Version: 1.7.0.18

Config Version: 1.7.5.8

HTH

Cass

Edited by Cass67