Advent Vega kernel source code now available!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest ejtagle

To Eduardo:

About rebootmenu: I just mean reboot to recovery in the menu doesn't work, but its a easy fix.

About app freeze: it's not a compability issue as most times the email and calendar apps freeze... these are native ics.

I will try to provide log with wifi problem.

About touchscreen : its not a freeze because i still get notifications. And it works ok with the kernel from cass so its your latest ts driver, also i do not touch the screen when it boots.

Kind Regards,

Areo

Yes, but the latest Cass kernel used my older touchscreen driver. I found a bug on that driver: It was simply not sending commands to the touchscreen blink.gifblink.gif ... the routine to send commands had a bug, that is why you always got "touchscreen does not want to ID itself" kernel logs.. -- So, touchscreen calibration was not working, all the touchscreen parameters tuning were not done at all. We were using the default parameters all the time... The new driver is nearly the same as the old one, but with the difference that i have fixed those routines... ;)

Kernel logs could also help here...

Guest Oldbarzo

To Eduardo:

About rebootmenu: I just mean reboot to recovery in the menu doesn't work, but its a easy fix.

About app freeze: it's not a compability issue as most times the email and calendar apps freeze... these are native ics.

I will try to provide log with wifi problem.

About touchscreen : its not a freeze because i still get notifications. And it works ok with the kernel from cass so its your latest ts driver, also i do not touch the screen when it boots.

Kind Regards,

Areo

Hi areo

copy eduardo

I am currently running ICS Beta 1 as posted by Cass and have no problems with flash video playing or the BBC iPlayer playing natively (not through the browser)

I installed the Beta and had numerous problems such as freeezing after booting under certain conditions i.e if the Vega screen lit and then blanked to dark and then lit and

continued the boot I ended up with freezing when launching an app or email etc.

If the screen lit , dimmed and continued the boot I did not experience these freezes.

I then found the thread about the Shuttle Test Rom (Froyo 2.2) which was posted on this forum and tried it following the instructions provided by Richardmlea posting as DivXDemon

over on tabletroms. and I have had no problems since, except when I used ejtagles TS fix and had to revert as the screen would not load from sleep, just kept flashing back and

fro to the lock screen.

I then tried areo's Patched ICS and for me that was a disaster, back came the freezing almost immediately necessitating a reboot immediately. So I went back to my backup of the current rom I am using.

It would appear that all Vegas and clones react differently to the roms being produced and I think that the problems faced by owners are due to the nature of the hardware which seems to vary from Tablet

to Tablet, as the firmware versions also differ even between Tablets of the same brand.

I feel that the devs are doing magnificent work to even get us as far as we are and hopefully we will find a compromise that suits all.

Thank you both and Cass and all the other developers and patchers out there for there time and effort which is greatly appreciated by all even if some do bitch.

Keep up the brilliant work and again my thanks to you all from a 67yr old who appreciates you.

Stransky

Guest richardmlea

There is a program on the shuttle test rom called IC tool. It appears to flash something to the vega but I cant tell what it is doing because I have not been able to get any logcat messages from android 2.2 for the last week. just says "waiting for device" :angry:

The program says something like "do you want to apply this device update P10an01-1.8xxxx" something like that and if you choose yes to the update it takes about 3 minutes to complete, after completion the device reboots.

Anyway my question is, what is this program doing? Is it flashing some sort of firmware to the mainboard? Could this explain why the same hardware is acting diferently?

Guest ejtagle

There is a program on the shuttle test rom called IC tool. It appears to flash something to the vega but I cant tell what it is doing because I have not been able to get any logcat messages from android 2.2 for the last week. just says "waiting for device" :angry:

The program says something like "do you want to apply this device update P10an01-1.8xxxx" something like that and if you choose yes to the update it takes about 3 minutes to complete, after completion the device reboots.

Anyway my question is, what is this program doing? Is it flashing some sort of firmware to the mainboard? Could this explain why the same hardware is acting diferently?

There are 2 devices that could be flashed, besides the main nand... The touchscreen controller and the NvEC controller (the NvEC is an auxiliary microcontroller responsible of battery and power management, and is the responsible of restarting the system (reboot and powerdown) ....

Guest richardmlea

There are 2 devices that could be flashed, besides the main nand... The touchscreen controller and the NvEC controller (the NvEC is an auxiliary microcontroller responsible of battery and power management, and is the responsible of restarting the system (reboot and powerdown) ....

Ok, thats just jogged my memory. The program is called EC tool not IC tool so it would be the NvEC controller. Just out of interest, Would diferent versions of this controller software effect how roms operate?

Guest xathras

I use Windows 7 Home Premium. I have tried doing it by installing the zip via clockwork, which didn't work. The installiation was aborted. I also tried it via Vegatools, making sure I had the correct drivers through AUDI. I could install the bootscreens that were pre-loaded in Vegatools, but I couldn't add any from outside.

You can also use the flash_image utility (bottom of the first post) :- http://forum.xda-dev...ad.php?t=902493

I use it to jump back and forth between VegaICS and Ubuntu (installed on SD card).

Flash linux-kern.img to boot sector from android terminal

post-797214-0-13081300-1332077858_thumb.

Flash VegaICS boot.img to boot sector from linux terminal

post-797214-0-22290200-1332077910_thumb.

Guest ejtagle

Ok, thats just jogged my memory. The program is called EC tool not IC tool so it would be the NvEC controller. Just out of interest, Would diferent versions of this controller software effect how roms operate?

It is unknown all the functions performed by the NvEC controller. But, seems to be related to power management ... I would not be surprised to find out that NvEC has some type of influence on system stability....

About touchscreen not working after boot:

I noticed that it happens when it can't get out of sleep mode. This is on Eduardo's kernel btw.

It doesn't matter how many times I press the power or back button, it won't come out of sleep. Then I hold the power button until it's powered off. Then I boot it and the touchscreen doesn't work, hard buttons and notifications still work. Then I hold the power button again until it's off, power it on again and touchscreen works.

I didn't have a pc in the area but when it happens and I am at my pc I will get logs.

Kind Regards,

Areo

Guest Yogimax

About touchscreen not working after boot:

I noticed that it happens when it can't get out of sleep mode. This is on Eduardo's kernel btw.

It doesn't matter how many times I press the power or back button, it won't come out of sleep. Then I hold the power button until it's powered off. Then I boot it and the touchscreen doesn't work, hard buttons and notifications still work. Then I hold the power button again until it's off, power it on again and touchscreen works.

I didn't have a pc in the area but when it happens and I am at my pc I will get logs.

Kind Regards,

Areo

I have found exactly the same situation, except on a hard reset the screen is still unresponsive. I have to leave it for a few hours, then the screen responds again. I have now put on the new CWM boot image, and will see if it happens again.

ok so I left it for a while. And when I thought it was sleeping I tried to get it back on. No luck so I started adb. error device not found. So my tablet didn't sleep, it shut itself down. I can't get a log of it when it shuts down. Also this time the touchscreen did work. But it's troubling that when I put it to sleep it shuts itself down (while on 70% power). Seems the sleep problem isn't fully fixed yet...

When the touchscreen doesn't work after booting again I will make a logcat.

Kind Regards,

Areo

Edit:

Ok tablet went to sleep again, and didn't power on. But this time it was on, so I pulled a logcat: http://pastebin.com/UuVMjNgZ

And after I pulled the logcat the tablet came to life again :S.

Touchscreen problem occured agian: http://pastebin.com/m3v2xZJa

Edited by Areo

Guest brucelee666

Eduardo - re. new touchscreen driver.

Not seen mention or maybe you tested yourself but re-compiled kernel with new driver but set debounce value to 125(areos mentioned value) then tried 225 made no difference to power button resume issues (never had an issue with this set to 50 before as in your kernel patches).

For info when I press power tablet goes to sleep, when I try to wake via power button screen flashes lock screen then goes back to sleep keep trying with power button same thing (eventually will get it to work) but funny thing is if you press back button after you have attempted the power button screen will wake and show lock screen with no problems.

dmesg seems to show the issue may be with tegra2-i2c, you get alot of these messages when its flashing in and out of sleep when using the power button:-

tegra-i2c tegra-i2c.3: I2c error status 0x00000008

tegra-i2c tegra-i2c.3: no acknowledge from address 0x46

tegra-i2c tegra-i2c.3: Packet status 0x00010009

it7260 4-0046: failed to read points [1]

it7260 4-0046: flushing buffers

it7260 4-0046: flushing ended ok

tegra-i2c tegra-i2c.3: I2c error status 0x0000000a

tegra-i2c tegra-i2c.3: Packet status 0x00010005

Disabling touchscreen

edit - should say get the same messages on yours and my kernel

Edited by brucelee666

Guest xathras

New Linux 3.3 kernel released yesterday begins the process of merging Linux and Android

Greg Kroah-Hartman, a longtime kernel developer and new Linux Foundation fellow, said to expect Android kernel components in Linux 3.3 on Google+ at the same time. And in a February interview with Muktware, he said, "The 3.3 kernel release will let you boot an Android userspace with no modifications, but not very good power management. The 3.4 kernel release will hopefully have the power management hooks that Android needs in it, along with a few other minor missing infrastructure pieces that didn't make it into the 3.3 kernel release."

http://news.cnet.com...gether-at-last/

Edited by xathras

Guest ejtagle

New Linux 3.3 kernel released yesterday begins the process of merging Linux and Android

Greg Kroah-Hartman, a longtime kernel developer and new Linux Foundation fellow, said to expect Android kernel components in Linux 3.3 on Google+ at the same time. And in a February interview with Muktware, he said, "The 3.3 kernel release will let you boot an Android userspace with no modifications, but not very good power management. The 3.4 kernel release will hopefully have the power management hooks that Android needs in it, along with a few other minor missing infrastructure pieces that didn't make it into the 3.3 kernel release."

http://news.cnet.com...gether-at-last/

i will only say.. Wonderful news! :)

Guest ejtagle

Eduardo - re. new touchscreen driver.

Not seen mention or maybe you tested yourself but re-compiled kernel with new driver but set debounce value to 125(areos mentioned value) then tried 225 made no difference to power button resume issues (never had an issue with this set to 50 before as in your kernel patches).

For info when I press power tablet goes to sleep, when I try to wake via power button screen flashes lock screen then goes back to sleep keep trying with power button same thing (eventually will get it to work) but funny thing is if you press back button after you have attempted the power button screen will wake and show lock screen with no problems.

dmesg seems to show the issue may be with tegra2-i2c, you get alot of these messages when its flashing in and out of sleep when using the power button:-

tegra-i2c tegra-i2c.3: I2c error status 0x00000008

tegra-i2c tegra-i2c.3: Packet status 0x00010009

it7260 4-0046: failed to read points [1]

it7260 4-0046: flushing buffers

it7260 4-0046: flushing ended ok

tegra-i2c tegra-i2c.3: I2c error status 0x0000000a

tegra-i2c tegra-i2c.3: Packet status 0x00010005

Disabling touchscreen

edit - should say get the same messages on yours and my kernel

Touchscreen waking up... takes some time to boot, or at least, seems so...

Guest JHAres

Córdoba, Argentina here ;)

Grosso...!!! ;-)

Back On topic: The driver is working amazingly... no oversensitive areas, no dead areas... Finally...!!! Still I can't believe it !!! ohmy.gif

You are now on my prayers... :D

Abrazo,

Javier.

P.S.: Remember to count me in if you need a test driver... rolleyes.gif

Guest richardmlea

The touchscreen driver is working well for me. I have tried it on 3 vegas all running different firmware versions. I also tried it with the newer revised model touchscreen (again with different firmware). Works well on all. I have not seen the non-responsive issue but I have been using wifi lock to prevent sleep/wifi problems.

I have notice that one of the touchscreen looses calibration (very slightly) after 24 hours. The TS was always dodgy (double, phantom touches, small dead areas after a few hours of use on HC or ICS), I would have to flash moddedstock, calibrate TS and flash HC/ICS to make the TS work for a few hours. I solved the problem by installing the factory 2.2 rom posted by Alex Zhou and have not had any issues with it for over 2 weeks. With the new driver the double touches have returned (after about 24-36 hours) but now the calibration in ICS fixes it so no need to re-flash :D . So while not perfect, it is a lot better than previously.

P.S. I have just been setting up a vega for my sister who is not computer savvy. I installed Corvus5 for simplicity but have noticed how bad the touchscreen is around the edges of the screen. Could the new TS driver be used on 2.2? If it can would this require a kernel re-build or is it easier than that?

Guest ejtagle

The touchscreen driver is working well for me. I have tried it on 3 vegas all running different firmware versions. I also tried it with the newer revised model touchscreen (again with different firmware). Works well on all. I have not seen the non-responsive issue but I have been using wifi lock to prevent sleep/wifi problems.

I have notice that one of the touchscreen looses calibration (very slightly) after 24 hours. The TS was always dodgy (double, phantom touches, small dead areas after a few hours of use on HC or ICS), I would have to flash moddedstock, calibrate TS and flash HC/ICS to make the TS work for a few hours. I solved the problem by installing the factory 2.2 rom posted by Alex Zhou and have not had any issues with it for over 2 weeks. With the new driver the double touches have returned (after about 24-36 hours) but now the calibration in ICS fixes it so no need to re-flash :D . So while not perfect, it is a lot better than previously.

P.S. I have just been setting up a vega for my sister who is not computer savvy. I installed Corvus5 for simplicity but have noticed how bad the touchscreen is around the edges of the screen. Could the new TS driver be used on 2.2? If it can would this require a kernel re-build or is it easier than that?

Would mean recompiling the kernel, and backporting the driver... But, using the touchscreen calibration app should fix this...

Guest pischla

Are there any possibilities to do ad-hoc connection through wireless to my mobile phone? The tablet does not see my phones wireless hotspot and I've read that the function is disabled in ICS.

In wait for 3G to get fixed I thought this could work, but no go! Also my Option Icon 7.2 dongle is not supported in VegaICS it seems.

Guest brucelee666

Eduardo - re. power button weirdness with your boot.img

After a few compiles and flashing my own boot image with new touchscreen driver and old figured this was not the reason for power button not working same as Cass beta1 boot image/kernel.

This led to looking at debounce value as said before this also was not the solution, the solution is:-

Setting ".rep" in "gpio_keys_platform_data shuttle_keys_platform_data" in "board-shuttle-keyboard" to false (currently set to true) - should say you can see this change on wooshy1 github under vegaics commit.

Never really had an issue with old driver but new one seems to be working fine and power button same as beta1 - attached my boot image to save you doing it if someone wants to try, new touchscreen with power button fix, audio set to 48k which I think Cass changed also in kernel.

boot.img

Edited by brucelee666

Guest Scanno

After a few compiles and flashing my own boot image with new touchscreen driver and old figured this was not the reason for power button not working same as Cass beta1 boot image/kernel.

This led to looking at debounce value as said before this also was not the solution, the solution is:-

Setting ".rep" in "gpio_keys_platform_data shuttle_keys_platform_data" in "board-shuttle-keyboard" to false (currently set to true) - should say you can see this change on wooshy1 github under vegaics commit.

Never really had an issue with old driver but new one seems to be working fine and power button same as beta1 - attached my boot image to save you doing it if someone wants to try, new touchscreen with power button fix, audio set to 48k which I think Cass changed also in kernel.

Can you tell me if the wooshy1 github is up-to-date? Besides the TS driver offcourse?

Guest brucelee666

Can you tell me if the wooshy1 github is up-to-date? Besides the TS driver offcourse?

Scanno thanks for posting the cwm over on tabletroms, hope it works for people.

Re. wooshy1 github not sure, has a mixture of Eduardos patches so has some stuff that was removed from the latest patch and also some stuff wooshy1 has been playing with like overclocking/gpu size.

Probably best to get rel14r7 kernel source from nvidia git then get Eduardos patch here (last one he released) and copy the files from this to the correct directories on the kernel then add new touchscreen driver.

Some things to do other than change I mentioned above would be get config from beta1 and use that when compiling kernel, uncomment 48k define in board-shuttle.h as I think Cass did this also.

I also added the line "/dev/ttyUSB* 0660 radio system" into uventd.harmony.rc file in ramdisk of boot image (taken from vegacomb), dont' have 3g but this should stop the need to manually enter this if using my boot image.

Edited by brucelee666

Guest ejtagle

You are absolutely right here... My fault. I forgot to update those values... sad.gif