Reason why there is no Sense?

Guest FelixL

I just wondered why nobody tries to port a full "Sense" ROM.

Are you afraid because of the copyright? Did HTC say something about Sense on non-HTC phones?

It even works quite perfect on phones with locked bootloaders:

Defy: 2.2 with Sense

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=933710

SE x10: 2.3(!) with Sense:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=911364

For the experienced hackers around here, and with the open bootloader, it shouldn't be that hard, right?

Just to make this clear: I don't want to be ungrateful, all off you do great work, and I think a lot off people invest a lot off time to get the RIL fixed and make this phone even more awesome. It's just... with Sense it would be even more awesome ;)

Edited by FelixL

Guest Frankish

Hmm i always thought it was not possible on non HTC devices...i loved the new style Sense they got working on my Desire. The one that came on Desire Z and HD.

Guest krasenk

I have HTC Legend and San Francisco, both running MSM7227 chipset. Maybe I can try to port Sense UI ROM with the XDA kitchen, however I think I'll need some help from the more experienced Blade developers.

I've searched information about how to port Sense, but didn't find much. On two sites there was something like "just grab the HTC-apks and the framework-res.apk", but on other sites libraries where mentioned, too. If only the .apks where needed, there wouldn't be any problem in porting anything, so I think this information is wrong.

Edited by FelixL

Guest hecatae
I've searched information about how to port Sense, but didn't find much. On two sites there was something like "just grab the HTC-apks and the framework-res.apk", but on other sites libraries where mentioned, too. If only the .apks where needed, there wouldn't be any problem in porting anything, so I think this information is wrong.

zte altered the framework for the blade, if we can work out what they did, we could make a sense rom

zte altered the framework for the blade, if we can work out what they did, we could make a sense rom

For a "full" Sense ROM with only apps and libraries from an original Sense ROM, would we need a changed framework, wouldn't the original work? Is this where the RIL-problem starts?

There's a team at XDA giving it a go....see how talkative they are:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=826144

I didn't read the hole thread, only

This thread is now closed.

Did you write them a message or already took a look into there IRC channel?

Next two weeks (starting Monday) I've got exams. After that I'd be happy to help with this and learn about android os development. If nobody else wants to start with this, who maybe could do this ten times faster.

Guest fonix232

The main reason is why we can't get ANY ROMs working, is the RIL part. If the guys who are working on it can get it up n running (even partially) then we can talk about porting. Though it will be hell lot of a work!

Okay, that's a real reason. On 2.2 it should already be possible, but it's somewhat logical that nobody wants to invest the time while he could at the same time fix RIL and then port it to 2.3. Thanks for your answers!

Guest fonix232
Okay, that's a real reason. On 2.2 it should already be possible, but it's somewhat logical that nobody wants to invest the time while he could at the same time fix RIL and then port it to 2.3. Thanks for your answers!

For any version to work, we need the RIL fixes. It isn't so simple, we need to port the whole stuff, not just some apks and such. HTC binded their framework very much to the stock framework (what they edited) so we need that too.

What about trying a 2.1 sense mod?

Yeah, why don't you(!) try? ;)

I prefer a fixed RIL so we can get a full working 2.3. However, since I can not help there (don't now enough about this stuff), I will try to make a Sense-Port for 2.3 without working phone, just to learn how to port Sense. After my exams in two weeks, that is, and after I installed Ubuntu as a dualboot. Compiling and working in the virtual machine takes like forever. -.-

If anybody has good information about which libraries and .apks are needed for Sense, please tell me. If any dev wants to play the teacher, I'd be even more happy ;)

Edited by FelixL

Guest tabor56

I have no idea at all about porting or creating ROMs ;) just wondered if that would work due to RIL being ok. I would probably prefer a Sense 2.1 to a stock 2.2 or at least use for a while.

Guest fonix232
I have no idea at all about porting or creating ROMs ;) just wondered if that would work due to RIL being ok. I would probably prefer a Sense 2.1 to a stock 2.2 or at least use for a while.

Nope, it wouldn't work.

I suggest you to read after stuff before stating things you don't understand. RIL isn't about version, but about framework. If we can get the framework modifications ZTE made, we can get it to work. That's all.

Guest Rotmann

Are you afraid because of the copyright? Did HTC say something about Sense on non-HTC phones?

For the experienced hackers around here, and with the open bootloader, it shouldn't be that hard, right?

Just to make this clear: I don't want to be ungrateful, all off you do great work, and I think a lot off people invest a lot off time to get the RIL fixed and make this phone even more awesome. It's just... with Sense it would be even more awesome ;)

They don't have it too easy also:

Mobile data (sorry but its not working) , Camera with 720p recording (i think)

Bluetooth headset, bluetooth filetransfer

problems with dialing out, so only call reception works for now.

Not Working

WIFI

BT

vibration

Notification LED

Guest Matty-p

try this for now maybe when we have ril ill have a look into it

http://android.modaco.com/content/zte-blad...n-blade-rom-r2/

Guest Rotmann
It's not worth giving a shitty reply to, I have read all the threads about RIL. I did not state that I knew anything about it was merely enquiring. I didn't know if the problem affected the 2.1 source or not.

It's a shame how unfriendly this forum has become. Seems like the same few people as well.....

I came to Modaco originally as a Pulse user and the Pulse community is definitely a far nicer place to be than here.

;) his answer was polite and not offending (opposed to yours).