Basic CM61-Pulse0.40 ROM installation with modifications

Guest twrock

Note: (2011 12 10)

This rom has been superseded by the new TXG rom. TXG has all the benefits of this rom and more. It is easier to install (there is only one installation file). I do not intend to continue to support this rom, but I will not delete anything that is already here. Please click on this link to go to the TXG rom thread: TXG rom thread.

Updated: 2011 03 17 (changelog in the second post)

(If you would like this same rom with Chinese language input support, please use the
of this rom.)

This ROM is for people who want the basic CM61-Pulse0.40 rom with bug fixes, some performance modification, a "stable" 691 mHz OC kernel, and basic Gapps. DarkTremor Apps2SD is optional, but highly recommended. I had not intended to make this rom as big of a project as it became, but it just sort of "happened".

Notes:

• Modified CM61-Pulse0.40 rom port by Tom G; original rom by Cyanogenmod. Major changes include the addition of a slightly modified Starkos 691mHz overclock kernel (mem killer mod by AntonioPT using Toti's numbers), and the addition of TouchPal keyboard. And there have been a number of changes to build.prop.
  • Modified gapps-pulse by Flibblesan. Changes include updated apps and the removal of a few apps (available on the market)
  • As of 2011 03 15 all apps were updated to new versions. But that won't last for long. I don't intend to update each time something new shows up. Just update from the Market.
    • The wifi reconnection bug is also present in this rom. "Blade Wifi Fix" has been installed to help reduce the problem.
    • Front facing camera does not work.
    • The GPS icon remains in the notification area even after GPS is turned off. Ignore it, or reboot to remove it.
    • The Camera app included in this rom has been modified by user anegin and does not crash. However, with most camera apps, attempting to take multiple pictures at 3mp resolution will crash the camera app and then cause a serious battery drain (until reboot). There are some other camera apps available on the Market that also do not have this bug (reportedly the paid version of Vignette works).
    • The MAC address bug is also present in this rom. "Set MAC address" has been installed in this rom to solve that problem.
    • Some people have reported a bug in which the auto-rotation gets stuck. Suggested solutions are: (1) while booting, always hold the phone in portrait position until it is finished, and (2) disable 180 and 270 degree rotation in Settings/CyanogenMod settings/User interface (only allow 90 degree rotation).
      Pre-installation requirements. (This is important!) (I am not going to explain how to do these steps below. Please go and read up on that in The Ultimate Pulse Owners Guide.)
      • This ROM has been created for the Pulse/Huawei U8220. (I have no idea what this does on other the variations of the phone.)
      • You must have updated to the official UK 2.1 rom from back in 2010. (Other official 2.1 updates might work fine, but if they don't have a large enough /system partition, this rom will not install correctly; if you don't understand what that means, just install the UK 2010 as I have suggested.)
      • You must have Clockwork Recovery installed (not AmonRA). Incidentally, I'm using CW Recovery 2.5.0.7; apparently, CW Recovery v.3.0.0.5 does not work. Later versions of CW Recovery might work, but I haven't tested any.
      • You must download the ZIP files you wish to install and copy them onto your SD card. Minimally this should be the main rom and the gapps. (Find the links below.)
      • In order for DT Apps2SD and swap to work properly, you must format your SD card properly before you install this rom. (I have a 8gb class 6 card with 256mb ext2 partition for a2sd and a 32mb Linux swap partition; the rest is formatted to fat32.) However, the rom will work without doing that; you just won't have that added functionality. Warning: I have had trouble with my ext2 partition after formatting it with Clockwork Recovery 2.5.0 7. I don't know if this happens to other people, but if you are having trouble getting Apps2SD to work correctly due to the ext partition not being mounted, this might be a cause.

Download links. Copy all three of these files to the root folder of your SD card. (Note: the main rom and gapps files are meant to be installed as a pair; There may be negative consequences if you use a different gapps, and you won't get the same functionality.)

(modified main rom; thanks to Tom G)

(actually, this is optional, but I think most people will want it)

(modified Google apps and other important apps; thanks to Flibblesan for the initial mod)

(Alternate boot image:
    This is the original boot.img from Tom G's rom with no overclocking and no low memory tweaks; this is for people who want to save on battery life and don't want to mess around with setting the CPU frequencies; see the second post for information on installation of this file.)

Basic installation when coming from older roms:

[*]Boot Clockwork Recovery[*]"nandroid" then "Backup" (skip this step, and you might live to regret it)[*]"wipe data/factory reset" and "Yes -- delete all user data" (see below for an option on this one)[*]"install zip from sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard" then scroll to "CM61-Pulse-0.40-f0.3.3.zip" and "Yes - Install CM61-Pulse-0.40-f0.3.3.zip"[*]"choose zip from sdcard" then scroll to "dtapps2sd-2.7.5.2-signed.zip" and "Yes - Install dtapps2sd-2.7.5.2-signed.zip" (remember, DTApps2SD is actually optional)[*]"choose zip from sdcard" then scroll to "gapps-pulse-f0.3.3.zip" and "Yes - Install gapps-pulse-f0.3.3.zip"[*]"reboot system now"

If you already have previous version of this rom installed and you want to try this without losing all your data and installed apps, you can try skipping the full wipe and substituting a wipe of cache only.

Post-installation: See the second post in this thread (just below) for some ideas on helpful settings to get you started using this rom and optimizing the performance. But don't take what I say as the definitive answer. I'm still tweaking things too.

Enjoy.

See the second post for the changelog.

Edited by twrock

For people who are new to installing custom roms, here are some ideas to help you get started.

The first boot is always slow and prone to what seems like hangups and hiccups. Don't worry about it. It will all settle down eventually and you will have a nicely working rom. But there are a few things you can do to help get through the initial trouble. Here are some things I do on the first boot:

1. I wait until the SIM unlock shows up before touching anything. Then I wait for the phone to connect before touching anything else.
  2. I skip through the setup and don't enter my Google account information at that time.
  3. I wait until the ADW Launcher screen is done fully loading and the Cyanogen opt-in to reporting icon has already appeared in the notification bar before I touch anything.
  4. When I do touch something, I wait a long time for it to respond. Keeping on banging on the screen while the rom is trying to do a lot of background work is a formula for trouble.
  5. I run SuperUser independently once before any other app that will call on it, to see if it needs to update.
  6. Only after all of that do I go ahead and login to Google and let it start to synchronize my data.
  7. I wait until Google is done synchronizing all my Contacts, Gmail, and Calendar.
  8. I get all my Settings squared away before I install any apps. (See the section just below for my suggested settings.)
  9. I only install one app at a time.
  10. I also make a point of being where I can use Wifi instead of 3g to do all of my synchronizing and app installation, but that's just for speed sake (and because I don't have unlimited access to 3g).
YMMV, but that works for me.

Post-installation settings: Before installation of the rom, I formatted my 8gb Class 6 SD card to have a 256mb ext2 partition for apps and a 32mb linux swap file. The rest of the card was formatted to fat32. Then, with DTApps2SD installed, here are my current settings (and this is subject to change often):

• a2sd cachesd (Set in terminal for Dalvik cache to be moved SD; this will reboot. NOTE: You need to first enter superuser mode before you can enter many of the commands in terminal for Apps2SD. To get to superuser mode, you must first enter "su".)
  • Compcache RAM Usage disabled (in CM settings; some leave this enabled at the default or set it to something else; need to reboot) IMPORTANT! If you disable compcache, swappiness jumps up to 60; I find that to cause terrible lag problems, so I make sure I set swappiness to 30.
  • 691 mhz kernel installed and set to auto-throttle up to 614 and down to 245 with the SetCPU app from the Market. NOTE: the 691 mhz kernel in this rom is set at 614 mhz by default; so you do not need SetCPU if you don't want to change that setting. (I could set the CPU higher for performance, but I prefer some battery savings; and I have added one profile set to throttle things way down when the screen is off which saves a lot of battery, but this does make it a bit slow to wake back up.)
  • Naturally the built-in "allow application moving" to SD is disabled in CM settings (because I'm using DT instead)
  • a2sd swappy30 (set in terminal; some set this at 15 or even as high as 60; but 60 seemed to be creating serious lag for me so I pushed it way down; apparently the optimum setting will also depend on the size of your swap file, with some people suggesting that the larger your swap file, the lower this number must be to avoid lag; yes, this all seems complicated)
  • Lock home in memory (CM settings)
  • Lock messaging app in memory (CM settings)
  • The lowmem killer setting are preset in this rom's boot.img to something that seems to work well for me (thank Antonio and Toti). You can experiment with other settings.
  • As mentioned in the first post above, there is a solution to the MAC address bug. I installed the "Set MAC address" app from the Market into this rom. Once set, it survives a reboot. So one more bug has been "remedied".
  • If you want to increase battery life without messing around with SetCPU and/or you don't want to run an overclocked kernel for some other reason, you can flash the original boot.img from Tom G's rom: CM61original_boot_img.zip. Simply install this file in Recovery at any time to replace the modified 691mhz boot.img with Tom G's original 528mhz boot.img. Note: this boot.img has the default low memory setting, which are not optimized. You will probably want to change that setting yourself in Terminal Emulator to "a2sd lowmem-moderate" or "a2sd lowmem-optimum" (enter "su" first).

----------------------------------

Changelog:
    2011 03 17 update to version 0.3.3

ROM: Added anegin's Camera fix to /system

Minor fix in build.prop

GAPPS: Updated Gmail /system

Updated Market /system

Updated Twitter /data

Updated AndExplorer in /data

Updated Google Maps /data

Updated RomManager /data

Installed A2SD gui /data Installed

Set MAC Address /data

Installed CpuNotify /data

2011 02 24: CM61-Pulse0.40-f0.3.2.zip and gapps-pulse-f0.3.2 (This rom and my TWeak rom are now identical except for this rom having the CM bootanimation and TWeak having HanvonCalla IME and Chinese Touchpal languages instead.)

Install script now formats /system and /cache

Updated the boot.img from AntonioPT to set the default lowmem killer to the number suggested by Toti

Updated all apps to current version in Rom and Gapps (Gmail, Market, Twitter, RomManager, Youtube)

Deleted Car Home

Moved Geniewidget and VoiceSearch to /data

Added Secret Phone Settings to /data

added libsurfaceflinger_client.so to /system/lib/

opengles version update to 65537

dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:jit

dalvik.vm.heapsize=24m

ro.compcache.default=18

2011 02 05:

CM61-Pulse0.40-f0.3.zip

Rebuilt the rom based on my previously tweaked for Chinese rom. Updated all apps as previously mentioned. Probably isn't any significant change over previous versions of the base rom, but did do some minor fixing in build.prop. gapps-pulse-f0.3.zip Biggest changes here. I finally rectified my earlier mistake by using gapps from my previously tweaked for Chinese rom. And I finally figured out how to get Twitter and Maps to play nice so I could update them to the latest versions.

2011 02 04: (as compared to original release f0.1)

Updated main rom to CM61-Pulse0.40-f0.2c.zip: ADW Launcher v.1.3.6, Superuser v.2.3.6.1 Updated Gapps to gapps-pulse-f0.2c.zip: updated Gmail, StreetView, and Facebook, and added RomManager.

2011 02 03: [This version had a bug; it has been removed.]

Updated main rom to CM61-Pulse0.40-f0.2a.zip: ADW Launcher updated to v.1.3.6 (system), SuperUser updated to v.2.3.6.1 Updated Gapps to gapps-pulse-f0.2a.zip: updated Gmail, Maps, StreetView and Facebook, and added RomManager.

2011 02 02: original release (f0.1) (links removed)

2010 12 26 initial release: Besides the changes mentioned in the first post, the following changes/patches/improvements were made:
    • Camera focus fix
    • Volume button fix
    • Raised buttons no longer wake the device (Call, End call, Trackball)
    • Attempted ring delay removal
    • A couple of other build.prop fixes (including changing the device "names" to more standard ones)
    • A number of performance tweaks in build.prop
    • Addition of a telephone bell ringtone

Edited by twrock

Installing... I like this rom, and I like if the basic rom, I'll use it, while waiting for CM7.

Thanks twrock, great work!.

UPDATE: booting...

Works perfect!!!.

Cheers

very nice seems alot faster ;) but i dont know if my volume up button is broken anyone else having issues had it with toms rom too ;)

I hope this isn't terrible news for you, but my volume up works just fine, both with the screen on and off.

I just uploaded a "beta" version of the main ROM that updates ADW Launcher to v.1.3.6 and SuperUser. Both of those were in /system, so I decided those should get the latest versions. (Maybe I'll update gapps tomorrow after I get some sleep.)

I installed it and ran those apps to verify, but I haven't tested extensively. If anyone else can confirm that it installs and runs well, I'll put it in the first post.

Edit: There should be no need to wipe if updating from version 0.1 of this rom.

Edited by twrock

Guest Boony123
I hope this isn't terrible news for you, but my volume up works just fine, both with the screen on and off.

I just uploaded a "beta" version of the main ROM that updates ADW Launcher to v.1.3.6, Gmail, and SuperUser. All of those were in /system, so I decided those should get the latest versions. Facebook and Maps are installed with Gapps into /data, so those will be updated by the Market the first time you run it. (Maybe I'll update gapps tomorrow after I get some sleep.)

Here's the link: CM61-Pulse0.40-f0.2a.zip

I installed it and ran those three apps to verify, but I haven't tested extensively. If anyone else can confirm that it installs and runs well, I'll put it in the first post.

Edit: There should be no need to wipe if updating from version 0.1 of this rom.

will do that now whiles im messing with the phone ;) , guess my button is busted ;)

all is work fine gd job, but i was getting 400 ish on Quadrant, but now only 350/370 ish :D this because of the clock speed being lowerd?

Edited by Boony123

will do that now whiles im messing with the phone ;) , guess my button is busted ;)

all is work fine gd job, but i was getting 400 ish on Quadrant, but now only 350/370 ish :D this because of the clock speed being lowerd?

Thanks for the feedback.

I believe the default clock speed for the 691 kernel is 614mHz, at least that is what shows up for me in SetCPU. So if you were using a 710 kernel before, I'd guess it was a lot faster.

With SetCPU, you can adjust it however you want. But of course the 691 kernel can only get up to 691, so the 710 kernel is going to allow for a higher speed (if you phone can handle that high of a speed and you are willing to sacrifice battery). And these kernels (boot.img) are easily exchanged, so anyone who wants the 710 can flash it.

In my five minutes of testing last night, ADW 1.3.6 "felt" slower. But there are a lot of factors that might have influenced that. Unfortunately, I don't actually run this exact rom, but something very similar, so I'm not going to spend a lot of time testing it.

Hmmm, maybe I'll go ahead and make an update of the "tweak" rom (Chinese version) and run that. It's not terribly different.

Edited by twrock

Updated Gapps to gapps-pulse-f0.2a.zip: updated Gmail, Maps, StreetView and Facebook to the newest versions, and added RomManager.

Apologies to those who downloaded my earlier update today. I copied the wrong file. Just a silly mistake by the "old man". It won't be the last. ;)

Edited by twrock

Can I flash Starkos 710mhz kernel?

Perfect ROM, man!)

I can't think of any reason not too. I don't because I get bootloops off of any 710 kernel. But if it worked for you before, I don't know why it wouldn't work with this rom.

Please let people know your results.

Guest romanmosko
I can't think of any reason not too. I don't because I get bootloops off of any 710 kernel. But if it worked for you before, I don't know why it wouldn't work with this rom.

Please let people know your results.

It work! I used 710mhz kernel from there. This ROM so awesome! ;)

P.S.: Sorry for my English.

Guest motherfucking_host

too bad i alwas get an error: verification failed :-( any tipps?

at the moment i am using the huawei 2.1 rom with the 1.5.2 boot image

thank you

Guest M3DD3RS

Thanks for this!

I'm a bit late to the Pulse modding party so it's good to see work still being done.

I've tried a few roms and I think this one is a keeper, so far ;)

thank you

You must flash this ROM with Clockwork.

Guest Fusion0306

thank you

I've got a tip for you! Read the dev's instructions!!!

[*]You must have Clockwork Recovery installed (not AmonRA).

Guest CarpetDiem

Though I may not try that room,because aio v6 works just fine for me,and Im kind of tired of ‘zheteng’ now.Anyway,happy( or merry?) Chinese spring festival!Am I too late?Hope not~ ,-)

Can't find official twitter app on Market! Why?

Thanks for noticing that. I don't use Twitter and probably would have never seen it.

You are correct. It disappeared. Looks like I got a bit too aggressive updating the Google apps. I don't have a good explanation yet, but I do have a fix working on my phone already. I'll get an update out just as soon as I verify a couple of more things. (No point putting out a fix that breaks something else.)

For future reference, the problem seems to have arisen from my updating Maps.apk and removing some of the support files for Maps (elsewhere in the rom).

Update to f0.2c of both the rom and gapps has been posted. Please let me know if you find other (unknown) problems.

Edited by twrock

Update to f0.2c of both the rom and gapps has been posted. Please let me know if you find other (unknown) problems.

You can please write a short change log after each release in the first post? That would be great.

Thanks

Guest romanmosko
Thanks for noticing that. I don't use Twitter and probably would have never seen it.

You are correct. It disappeared. Looks like I got a bit too aggressive updating the Google apps. I don't have a good explanation yet, but I do have a fix working on my phone already. I'll get an update out just as soon as I verify a couple of more things. (No point putting out a fix that breaks something else.)

For future reference, the problem seems to have arisen from my updating Maps.apk and removing some of the support files for Maps (elsewhere in the rom).

Thanks for fixes.