Basic CM61-Pulse0.40 ROM installation with modifications

Guest twrock

Guest twrock

For me, this ROM crashes and reboots right at the installing of the first app.

That is very strange behavior.

May I suggest that you go back to that very first post and carefully follow all instructions for a reinstallation and see if that solves your problem? If the combined downloads is any indication, this rom has thousands of installations. So at this point, I have to believe 99.5% of installation problems are due to not following all installation instructions precisely.

Guest bindi

I have been using this ROM for more than 2 months now and have no issue in terms of stability. But in last 1 month my phone is slow as hell. It takes me few seconds to open dialer, call log or infect go to any app. I have got SWAP, A2SD enabled. I don't have a lot of apps on my phone. This didn't start after downloading any new app as I have uninstalled any memory hungry games I had but it is still slow...Any way I can improve the speed?

Guest twrock

I have been using this ROM for more than 2 months now and have no issue in terms of stability. But in last 1 month my phone is slow as hell. It takes me few seconds to open dialer, call log or infect go to any app. I have got SWAP, A2SD enabled. I don't have a lot of apps on my phone. This didn't start after downloading any new app as I have uninstalled any memory hungry games I had but it is still slow...Any way I can improve the speed?

Maybe it is a swappiness issue. How much swap space to you have (number of mb in your swap partition) and what is your swappiness set to? If swappiness is too high, the lag can be terrible. I'm just guessing; I really don't know.

Guest bindi
<br />Maybe it is a swappiness issue. How much swap space to you have (number of mb in your swap partition) and what is your swappiness set to? If swappiness is too high, the lag can be terrible. I'm just guessing; I really don't know.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Swappiness is set to 30 and swap size is 144 MB. What are recommended values?

Guest KGyST

With this ROM, after installing the first app, the phone frozen and rebooted. I suspected that the partitioning was the reasno, repartitioned the card, it did it again, then put up an installation without DarkTremor, but again, indtalling the first app made the phone to freeze and reboot.

Any idea how to avoid it?

Thx

Guest pedrojaime

twrock, the rotation problem seems to be fixed completely now thanks a lot! biggrin.gif

However, now I have another issue which is bugging me with this rom. Market will not update newer versions of packages anymore. This is strange. At first I thought this could be because I uninstalled certificate installer which have since worked out that is needed for the browser to process SSL connections. But I have other browsers installed and these seem to work just fine without that package (Ultralight browser, Dolphin mini). Also, this issue seems limited to updating over wifi. Updating over 3G works fine.

Here is another confusing thing, Launcher Ex updates fine though market, even on wifi and even when the other packages fail to update. Now I am really confused and after some ideas of why 'update all' in Market is failing on wifi. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this. What I see is that the download completes, instead of going through to the 'installing..' phase, 'downloading..' starts again briefly, then disappears, then fails with 'installation unnsuccessful'.

thanks,

Peter

Guest twrock

<br /><br /><br />

Swappiness is set to 30 and swap size is 144 MB. What are recommended values?

In the first post I mention that I have a 32mb swap file with swappiness at 30. Previously I had 64mb swap file and swappiness at 15. My experience is that the bigger the swap file, the smaller you should set swappiness. After reading a lot of other people's experience, I determined that having a swap file larger than 32mb was a waste, so I settled on 32mb with swappy30. YMMV.

Guest twrock

twrock, the rotation problem seems to be fixed completely now thanks a lot! biggrin.gif

However, now I have another issue which is bugging me with this rom. Market will not update newer versions of packages anymore. This is strange. At first I thought this could be because I uninstalled certificate installer which have since worked out that is needed for the browser to process SSL connections. But I have other browsers installed and these seem to work just fine without that package (Ultralight browser, Dolphin mini). Also, this issue seems limited to updating over wifi. Updating over 3G works fine.

Here is another confusing thing, Launcher Ex updates fine though market, even on wifi and even when the other packages fail to update. Now I am really confused and after some ideas of why 'update all' in Market is failing on wifi. Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this. What I see is that the download completes, instead of going through to the 'installing..' phase, 'downloading..' starts again briefly, then disappears, then fails with 'installation unnsuccessful'.

thanks,

Peter

Sorry, no, I have no ideas. Once someone moves beyond the basic installation and starts to add files and apps, there are too many variables to consider.

Guest KGyST

That is very strange behavior.

May I suggest that you go back to that very first post and carefully follow all instructions for a reinstallation and see if that solves your problem? If the combined downloads is any indication, this rom has thousands of installations. So at this point, I have to believe 99.5% of installation problems are due to not following all installation instructions precisely.

I'll give it a try later, but there's something else: with this phone, I've never managed to activate the a2sd on any (tried with 3) SD-cards. The partitioning is OK, a Linux sees the ext2 system, but a2sd says it cannot mount the ext2 partition. Always, with any roms and cards. Btw the phone uses the cards properly, I've moved app to the cards, installed roms prom cads, etc.

Thx

Guest KGyST

The same, i did literally the postinstall thing to get the same result, rebooting at the first app istall. :(

Not surprisingly, except for the a2sd cachesd command, it's been giving me "[X] EXT partition not mounted." (When in recovery, the wipe cache also needs to mount EXT, it does it succesfullly, always). I can see ext partition on the ard under linux.

Guest twrock

The same, i did literally the postinstall thing to get the same result, rebooting at the first app istall. :(

Not surprisingly, except for the a2sd cachesd command, it's been giving me "[X] EXT partition not mounted." (When in recovery, the wipe cache also needs to mount EXT, it does it succesfullly, always). I can see ext partition on the ard under linux.

Two things come to mind:

1. Are you sure that you started with the "old" UK update from 2010? If you did not, you will have problems with the Market.

2. Can you just install the basic rom and gapps and get things to work? (Don't install DT Apps2SD.)

Good luck.

Guest KGyST

Btw i started (origianally) with the Hungarian ROM, but that should be smaller sized. Then I set up a CM 6.1, that I've been using for half a year or so, and from this I rebooted into recovery, and started installing. But I'll give a try with the UK rom, finding how to install a factory rom.

I tried it also without DT a2sd, and didn't work.

Guest KGyST

Again :(

I've put up the official UK 2.1 as mentioned in the ultimate Pulse owner's guide, booted up, restarted into bootloader, then a superboot and a ClockworkMod 2.5.0.4 were installed, then recovery, anndt the CM6.1 and the other stuff were installed.

After first boot, I switched off data, Enabled Wifi, signed into my Google acc, market, install, and installing the first app crashed the phone.

Guest twrock

Again :(

I've put up the official UK 2.1 as mentioned in the ultimate Pulse owner's guide, booted up, restarted into bootloader, then a superboot and a ClockworkMod 2.5.0.4 were installed, then recovery, anndt the CM6.1 and the other stuff were installed.

After first boot, I switched off data, Enabled Wifi, signed into my Google acc, market, install, and installing the first app crashed the phone.

Your installation sequence is confusing to me, so I'm not sure what you are doing. For example, I don't know if you are doing a full wipe before installing the CM6 basic rom. You don't mention that, but you definitely need to. You do mention doing some things I don't do, so, yes, you are doing some things differently than me, and you will very likely have a different result. For example, you mention "superboot" without stating specifically what that is. I don't do that.

Incidentally, I give download links to each file you need to install this rom. I already noticed that your are not using the same CW version I gave a link to. So, again, if you are doing these things differently than the instructions I gave, then it is likely that you will get different results.

So all I can say is that you can go back to the beginning, download only the files I link to, and follow only the instructions I gave there. Other than that, I'm guessing that is the cause of your inability to get A2SD to work right is still a partitioning problem. You might want to try to partition that card by some other completely different means.

Guest sporting_exodus

I've been a long-time user of this ROM and think it's great. Had no problems installing it, and no problems with it since. I also appreciate twrock checking in on the threads and helping people out.

I was just wondering if anyone had found a way round the problem that all ROMs seem to have, that once they have been installed for some time, they always seem to begin to slow down and lag? I thought it was because I kept adding new apps, but I don't think that's it. I'm pretty good at housekeeping the phone, but was wondering if there were any 'routines' that could be run to restore some of the initial speed?

Guest twrock

I've been a long-time user of this ROM and think it's great. Had no problems installing it, and no problems with it since. I also appreciate twrock checking in on the threads and helping people out.

I was just wondering if anyone had found a way round the problem that all ROMs seem to have, that once they have been installed for some time, they always seem to begin to slow down and lag? I thought it was because I kept adding new apps, but I don't think that's it. I'm pretty good at housekeeping the phone, but was wondering if there were any 'routines' that could be run to restore some of the initial speed?

I'm not of any help on this one. I probably average an install or "re-install" each week. Maybe I've got "rom ADD". ;)

So I'm guessing that I haven't run this particular rom for more than a couple of weeks at the most. Sorry.

Does simply rebooting help at all? I know I'm in the habit of rebooting at least every couple of days.

Guest seahome

Thanks twrock! I cannot find google voicesearch in CM61-Pulse0.40-f0.3.3.zip. I try to install all versions (1.4.0, 1.4.6, 1.4.7) of google voicesearch I can find with no success. Could you please provide a compatible version of google voicesearch.apk for this beautiful rom.

Thanks.

Guest sporting_exodus

I'm not of any help on this one. I probably average an install or "re-install" each week. Maybe I've got "rom ADD". ;)

So I'm guessing that I haven't run this particular rom for more than a couple of weeks at the most. Sorry.

Does simply rebooting help at all? I know I'm in the habit of rebooting at least every couple of days.

No, I reboot fairly often too. Perhaps I should just keep installing new ROMs like you! I had assumed that ROM designers would always prefer their own work and stick to it - obviously not ;)

Have you found that the Stock ROMs give any better performance? I'm loathed to go back to 2.1 again, but it's getting to the point where I'd sacrifice features for speed...

Guest Casterina

No, I reboot fairly often too. Perhaps I should just keep installing new ROMs like you! I had assumed that ROM designers would always prefer their own work and stick to it - obviously not ;)

Have you found that the Stock ROMs give any better performance? I'm loathed to go back to 2.1 again, but it's getting to the point where I'd sacrifice features for speed...

2.1 ROMs are probably the best for battery and stability.

Guest twrock
I had assumed that ROM designers would always prefer their own work and stick to it - obviously not ;)

Ah, so many roms, so little time. :lol:

To clarify, I mostly use the TWeak version of this rom. But I mess around with other roms and even with the TWeak version so much that I end up reinstalling it fairly often. So I haven't run it as-is for any appreciable length of time.

If speed it your goal, have you tried the RBM2 rom that Pepe made? I hear it is fast and yet has good battery life. I've never been able to run it because my phone crashes at the 691mhz default speed it is set at.

Incidentally, I now run the TWeak version of this rom but with the original boot.img (528mhz). I do that to save on battery life. I find it extremely stable and acceptably fast.

Other settings I use:

no JIT

no Compcache

heapsize 24

32 mb linux-swap with swappiness at 30

cachesd

lowmem moderate

persistent message app and launcher

and of course apps2sd

Oh, and for full disclosure, I am using the Tre update as my base. That allows me to experiment with all sorts of rom mods since its /system partition is larger. (And I prefer to see "Huawei" instead of "T-Mobile" at boot.)

And finally, it seems lots of people find 2.1 roms better for battery life. I have done much testing myself, and I do not have that experience. I do not believe I get any better battery life from even an "almost stock" 2.1 rom. (I must be able to run apps from SD, whether using DT A2SD or Link2SD, so root and some linking script are the minimal modification I will always make to every rom I test).

Edited by twrock

Guest KGyST

Woo, full success.

Earlier I used an older install tutorial, that started installing a Custom ROM with getting root privileges by installing the superboot 1.5, then set up the AmonRA, and from that the ROM Zips. I changed AmonRA to ClockworkMod, but the superboot remained, this could cause the problems. Now the apps install, and, for over half a year, a2sd works also.Thanks for Your help (though I think I'll have some more questions :)

Edited by KGyST