Basic CM61-Pulse0.40 ROM installation with modifications

Guest twrock

Hmm, I honestly don't know if people are installing this rom on top of the Tre official rom or not. I haven't tried it myself, so I can't vouch for that method. Although, before I moved to CM6.1 (Froyo), I always used the Tre rom as my starting point to install other mods (because I wanted a larger /system partition). But I switched to the UK2.1 official before moving to CM. I can't think of a logical reason why it won't work, but I can't always think of everything. :D

I installed Tom's original CM 6 build over the 2.1 Tre release without any problems.

Edited by Ellia

Guest AntonioPT
hm- who's right?

i think the problem must be my sdcard - still can't mount the sd-ext. and somehow i have problems getting gparted tp work (unfortunately i don't use linux..)

edit: tried my other sd card: no sucess. but now my problems are getting worse: nandroid wont restore: it says. md5 mismatch (with both of the backups i did before).

edit2: installing the basic cm + gapps without DT worked finally.... u guys have an idea?

edit3: is it possible to install DT afterwards?

UK 2.1 and FLB are two different types of roms. UK 2.1 is an official update, that modifies internal system partitions, installs firmware, baseband, ... FLB is an user rom. It doesn't do anything of that, instead it runs on the partitions and firmware provided by an official update. So yes, you can install this ROM on both UK 2.1 stock and FLB.

Guest Markus Arnold

So do you guys know if i can install DT now - after CM is installed already? (CM with gapps is working fine by now, since i installed it without DT).

First of all i'm triying to get the SD partitioned correctly, i think there was the problem. (that doesnt explain why it didnt work out with my other sd, but maybe it will work if i install DT now).

Guest AntonioPT
So do you guys know if i can install DT now - after CM is installed already? (CM with gapps is working fine by now, since i installed it without DT).

First of all i'm triying to get the SD partitioned correctly, i think there was the problem. (that doesnt explain why it didnt work out with my other sd, but maybe it will work if i install DT now).

Yes, you can install DT after CM is already installed and you already started using it.

On a side note, I'm now building CyanogenMod stable (froyo-stable branch on their github). I fixed the problem with my build and it's now going fine. I may be able to upload a testing ROM this evening.

Guest Markus Arnold
Yes, you can install DT after CM is already installed and you already started using it.

thanks,

after i formatted and repartitioned the sd with the MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition (great tool! - i created a 512 mb ext2 and 32 mb swap),

i now installed DTapps, and it booted - and seems to work!

Great job what u guys are doing here for the pulse! Thx.

On a side note, I'm now building CyanogenMod stable (froyo-stable branch on their github). I fixed the problem with my build and it's now going fine. I may be able to upload a testing ROM this evening.

Please do!

I assume you are going to put the "fixes" in it, yes? :D

But if you are open to "lobbying", please make it fairly stock, similar to what Tom did. I'm a plain vanilla sort of guy, and I find the more stock roms a bit easier to modify (vs. having to revert).

But whatever you decide to do or not, I appreciate you working on this.

Antonio, how hard would it be for you to modify the Starkos 691 boot.img to use Toti's numbers by default? I really do think they are better for our phone. Because using the script Toti made means that you can't make lowmem adjustment with DT. (Or, Starkos, are you still here; can you do it?) Maybe if I have a bit of time this weekend I'll "re-learn" how to mod and repack the boot.img. I'm getting too old for this stuff! :D

Antonio, I wrote that back a page or so. But subsequently I've seen my clock widget starting to have trouble with updating. I didn't have this trouble before. So I need to plead ignorance and just say that I really don't know what is optimal for our device. At the moment, I've gone back to DT's own "moderate" setting to see how that works.

And also, I don't even know if what I was asking for is possible. I don't know quite enough about boot.img to know what can and can't be done there.

Guest AntonioPT
Antonio, I wrote that back a page or so. But subsequently I've seen my clock widget starting to have trouble with updating. I didn't have this trouble before. So I need to plead ignorance and just say that I really don't know what is optimal for our device. At the moment, I've gone back to DT's own "moderate" setting to see how that works.

And also, I don't even know if what I was asking for is possible. I don't know quite enough about boot.img to know what can and can't be done there.

Sorry, I noticed it but I forgot about it :D

Yes, it is possible. I'll upload the modified kernel in a few minutes. BTW, I learned to edit boot.img's from here. The instructions are linux-only, and if you're confortable with working on linux it should be really easy.

Please do!

I assume you are going to put the "fixes" in it, yes? :D

But if you are open to "lobbying", please make it fairly stock, similar to what Tom did. I'm a plain vanilla sort of guy, and I find the more stock roms a bit easier to modify (vs. having to revert).

But whatever you decide to do or not, I appreciate you working on this.

Well, I finished buiding it last night, it boots, but almost nothing works! No sensors, no camera, no wifi, no sd card... Bluetooth works, telephony (RIL) works and audio works. I don't know why does this happen, as I used Tom's device config! It should incorporate the support for all those stuff which are obviously working on his 0.40 ROM!

If anyone wants to take a look: http://www.mediafire.com/?h58p858naa25ad1.

Also, here's the logcat of the first boot: http://pastebin.com/QkkaFGfq

Edited by AntonioPT

Sorry, I noticed it but I forgot about it :D

Yes, it is possible. I'll upload the modified kernel in a few minutes. BTW, I learned to edit boot.img's from here. The instructions are linux-only, and if you're confortable with working on linux it should be really easy.

Well, I finished buiding it last night, it boots, but almost nothing works! No sensors, no camera, no wifi, no sd card... Bluetooth works, telephony (RIL) works and audio works. I don't know why does this happen, as I used Tom's device config! It should incorporate the support for all those stuff which are obviously working on his 0.40 ROM!

Ouch, sounds complicated. Wish I could help, but what you do is way over my head. :D

In the mean time, I think I have finally got an update ready for my TWeak rom. But since it is so similar to the "basic" rom here, I think I'll just make some really simple modifications and upload a slightly updated "basic" mod for whomever wants to do the beta testing. I don't really want to keep going back and forth between the rom I use and this one. It's just too much of a pain.

Edited by twrock

Here's a beta for anyone who is willing to try it. To be perfectly honest, I haven't even booted it. But I did boot a version of it that is so close to this, that I'd be surprised if it doesn't work. Having said that, this is not some major update. I just think this will help people who might be installing this for the first time to have a somewhat smoother/faster system out of the box. But I'd still recommend at least adjusting the lowmem killer to moderate or optimum and setting swappiness at 30. (Swappiness is at 30 by default because compcache is at 18; but if you disable compcache, the swappiness changes to 60 which works badly on my phone.)

Changes since f0.3c (some changes are in the basic rom and others are in the gapps):

added libsurfaceflinger_client.so to /system/lib/ (hopefully to fix some video issues)

opengles version update to 65537 (for some graphics improvement)

Updated Market to 2.2.6 in /system

dalvik.vm.execution-mode=int:jit (JIT is enabled by default)

dalvik.vm.heapsize=24m

ro.compcache.default=18

added Secret Phone Settings to /data (just uninstall if you don't want the stuff in /data)

Updated Twitter in /data

Updated YouTube in /data

Moved GenieWidget to /data

Moved VoiceSearch to /data

CM61-Pulse0.40-f0.3x.zip

gapps-pulse-f0.3x.zip

Edit: An updated beta is available; read on.

Edited by twrock

Guest AntonioPT
Ouch, sounds complicated. Wish I could help, but what you do is way over my head. :D

In the mean time, I think I have finally got an update ready for my TWeak rom. But since it is so similar to the "basic" rom here, I think I'll just make some really simple modifications and upload a slightly updated "basic" mod for whomever wants to do the beta testing. I don't really want to keep going back and forth between the rom I use and this one. It's just too much of a pain.

Here you go: Starkos_691_toti_lowmem.zip

It's not signed, so it won't flash on Amon_RA (but who uses that nowadays :D)

Guest arlindo.costa
Sorry, I noticed it but I forgot about it :)

Installed this ROM without Formating data or sdext and managed to get it to boot.... (I was using this rom CM61-Pulse0.40 ROM with a2sd).

At first glance the only thing not working is the sd card. not mounting the sd card.

EDIT: :D Got the same results Antonio... Wifi does not start, camera not working .... etc. Tried different kernels all with the same result. :D

Edited by arlindo.costa

Guest Boony123

Starkos_691_toti_lowmem.zip wont work with ur new rom twrock :D did try, it was stuck on boot (android)

taking along long time to boot.

first boot was VERY sluggish doing the wizard (but seems ok after a while)

dtapps2sd-2.7.5.3-beta04-signed.zip not working with this rom sticks on boot, beta 3 seems to work fine still.

had a bit of issues when tryin to use the other boot that might of created these issues.

Starkos_691_toti_lowmem.zip wont work with ur new rom twrock :D did try, it was stuck on boot (android)

taking along long time to boot.

first boot was VERY sluggish doing the wizard (but seems ok after a while)

dtapps2sd-2.7.5.3-beta04-signed.zip not working with this rom sticks on boot, beta 3 seems to work fine still.

had a bit of issues when tryin to use the other boot that might of created these issues.

It worked perfectly for me when I flashed it onto my currently running OS. I don't know what the difference is between the way you tried it and what I did, but I'm really interested in how it will integrate with the roms I'm modding. If things go well, there should be a new beta up shortly that includes this boot.img

Edited by twrock

It worked perfectly for me when I flashed it onto my currently running OS. I don't know what the difference is between the way you tried it and what I did, but I'm really interested in how it will integrate with the roms I'm modding. If things go well, there should be a new beta up shortly that includes this boot.img

New rom beta building commences.

Zipping....good

Backing up....done

Installing....yep

Booting....YES!

Checking....Yep, default lowmem settings are as they should be: 1536,2048,4096,6400,8960,10240. Setting it to it to lowmem-moderate did what it was supposed to. However, setting it to lowmem-default did not make it revert to the original numbers until after a reboot. But maybe that is exactly as it is supposed to function.

Testing rom at just the default settings (i.e. 614mhz default CPU speed and no changes to tweak the rom) .... Linpack (three runs): 4.354, 4.445, 4.464; Neocore: 26.7, 26.6, 26.9; Quadrant: 379, 409, 421

So to compare with my testing of my fully loaded TWeak rom phone yesterday, the Linpack numbers are slightly higher on average, the Neocore numbers are slightly lower, and Quadrant numbers started slightly lower but went way higher. The major difference I can see is that my yesterday my lowmem killer numbers were set to the DT "moderate" settings, but there are likely other factors. Anyway, you can decide for yourself if you think those numbers are any good.

Ok here you go for beta f0.3xLM. Please let me know if you find any problems. Please remember that in my own testing, I always start with a full wipe, a format of /system, and the installation of the rom, DT Apps2sd (2.7.5.2) and then the matching gapps, in that order. YMMV if you do it any other way.

CM61-Pulse0.40-f0.3xLM.zip

gapps-pulse-f0.3x.zip

Changelog: the only difference between this and the previous beta is the addition of the Starkos 691mhz boot.img as modified by AntonioPT to include the lowmem killer numbers suggested by Toti. If you already installed the f0.3x beta above, you will get the same results by simply flashing the boot.img Antonio gave us.

Edit: One more thing I want to add for people who are new to installing custom roms. The first boot is always slow and prone to what seems like hangups and hiccups. Don't worry about it. It will all settle down eventually and you will have a nicely working rom. But there are a few things you can do to help get through the initial trouble. Here are some things I do on the first boot:

1. I wait until the SIM unlock shows up before touching anything. Then I wait for the phone to connect before touching anything else.

2. I skip through the setup and don't enter my Google account information at that time.

3. I wait until the ADW Launcher screen is done fully loading and the Cyanogen opt-in to reporting icon has already appeared in the notification bar before I touch anything.

4. When I do touch something, I wait a long time for it to respond. Keeping on banging on the screen while the rom is trying to do a lot of background work is a formula for trouble.

5. I run SuperUser independently once before any other app that will call on it, to see if it needs to update.

6. Only after all of that do I go ahead and login to Google and let it start to synchronize my data.

7. I wait until Google is done synchronizing all my Contacts, Gmail, and Calendar.

8. I get all my Settings squared away before I install any apps, and I only install one app at a time.

9. I also make a point of being where I can use Wifi instead of 3g to do all of my synchronizing and app installation, but that's just for speed sake (and because I don't have unlimited access to 3g).

YMMV, but that works for me

Edited by twrock

Updated: 2011 02 05 (changelog in the second post)

(2011 02 20 f0.3xLM beta available)

This ROM is intended for people who want only the basic CM61-Pulse0.40 rom with a "stable" 691 mHz OC kernel and basic Gapps. DarkTremor Apps2SD is optional, but recommended.

Even though most of us are waiting for an update to either Tom G's rom or the next version of the community AIO rom, I'm uploading this mod in "celebration" of Chinese New Year (I'm off work today) and the surprising (at least to me) statistic that my Chinese mod version of this rom went over 200 downloads. :D So if the "plain vanilla" version is to your liking, enjoy. Otherwise, there's not much here to see; just move along.

Notes:

• Modified CM61-Pulse0.40 rom port by Tom G; original rom by Cyanogenmod. Changes include the addition of the Starkos 691mHz overclock kernel, the addition of TouchPal keyboard, and the removal of the CM wallpaper (to make a little more space).
  • Modified gapps-pulse by Flibblesan. Changes include updated apps and the removal of a few apps (available on the market)
  • As of 2011 02 05 all apps were updated to new versions. But that won't last for long. I don't intend to update each time something new shows up. Just update from the Market.
    • Camera focus fix
    • Volume button fix
    • Raised buttons no longer wake the device (Call, End call, Trackball)
    • Attempted ring delay removal
    • A couple of other build.prop fixes (including changing the device "names" to more standard ones)
    • Addition of a telephone bell ringtone
      • The wifi reconnection bug is also present in this rom. Install "Blade Wifi Fix" from the market to remedy this problem.
      • Front facing camera does not work.
      • In most camera apps (including the built-in camera app), attempting to take multiple pictures at 3mp resolution will crash the camera app and then cause a serious battery drain (until reboot). Reduce the resolution in the camera app or find one that works (reportedly the paid version of Vignette works).
      • The MAC address bug is also present in this rom.

Download links. Copy all three of these files to the root folder of your SD card. (Note: the main rom and gapps files are meant to be installed as a pair; in order to have sufficient space for all apps and DT Apps2SD, I suggest you use this Gapps and not another.)

(modified main rom; thanks to Tom G)

(actually, this is optional, but I think most people will want it)

(modified Google apps and other important apps; thanks to Flibblesan for the initial mod)

Pre-installation requirements. (I am not going to explain how to do any of this here. Please go and read up on that in The Ultimate Pulse Owners Guide.)

[*]You must have a Pulse/Huawei U8220. (I have no idea what this does to the variations of the phone.)

[*]You must have updated to the official UK 2.1 rom. (Other official 2.1 roms might work fine, but you are on your own.)

[*]You must have Clockwork Recovery installed (not AmonRA). Incidentally, I'm using CW Recovery 2.5.0.4; I don't know if CW v.3 functions the same or not.

[*]You must download the ZIP files you wish to install and copy them onto your SD card. Minimally this should be the main rom and the gapps. (Find the list above.)

[*]In order for DT Apps2SD and swap to work properly, you must format your SD card accordingly before you install this rom. However, the rom will work without doing that; you just won't have that added functionality.

Basic installation when coming from older roms.

[*]Boot Clockwork Recovery

[*]"nandroid" then "Backup" (skip this step, and you might live to regret it)

[*]"partitions menu" then "format system" and "Yes - Format" (for everything to work correctly, you really should do this step!)

[*]"wipe data/factory reset" and "Yes -- delete all user data" (*see below for an option on this one)

[*]"install zip from sdcard" then "choose zip from sdcard" then scroll to "CM61-Pulse-0.40-f0.3.zip" and "Yes - Install CM61-Pulse0.40-f0.3.zip"

[*]"choose zip from sdcard" then scroll to "dtapps2sd-2.7.5.2-signed.zip" and "Yes - Install dtapps2sd-2.7.5.2-signed.zip" (remember, DTApps2SD is actually optional; you can just use the built-in Froyo version of Apps2SD)

[*]"choose zip from sdcard" then scroll to "gapps-pulse-f0.3.zip" and "Yes - Install gapps-pulse-f0.3.zip"

[*]"reboot system now"

*If you already have CM6.1 installed and you want to give this rom a try without losing all your data and installed apps, you can try skipping the full wipe and substituting a wipe of cache only (but you still should format system!). But you are on your own if you try any optional installation methods.

Post-installation: See the second post in this thread (just below) for some ideas on helpful settings to get you started using this rom and optimizing the performance. But don't take what I say as the definitive answer. I'm still tweaking things too.

Enjoy.

THE BEST OF THE BEST, HERE AND NOW :D

THE BEST OF THE BEST, HERE AND NOW :D

So I take it that means it worked for you? :D

Looks like a couple dozen people have already given the latest beta a try. I really hope the boot.img Antonio (thanks again) modded will help people with at least the initial setup. And I suspect a lot of people will just leave the lowmem killer settings right there at the new default. If all goes well, then I don't intend to do any further changes and this "beta" will be "released" as is. But I will be curious if there are any negative results of this modification.

Incidentally, there is no reason you can't use the original Starkos OC boot.img files, whether 691 or 710. And you can even go back to the one in Tom's rom of you don't want the overclock feature. They all should be interchangeable.

I'm leaving on a business trip in the morning and will be offline until later in the week. Enjoy everyone.

Guest Boony123

i went from 2.1 but i did wipe the whole thing first. dont know might of just been late and i missed something was 4am had my baby on my knee so anything is possible lol

but seems fine now at this time,

and did you include some wifi thing to fix the dorment issue if not it is fixed in this version lol without installing blade fix :D and i noticed the wifi sign in the top left side is back up there and crosses out when no wifi then fix's itself.

installed alot of stuff and its all working fine, will try the new one if its going to make my pulse even better, but that means backing up all my apps :| eck lol

Guest AntonioPT
So I take it that means it worked for you? :)

Looks like a couple dozen people have already given the latest beta a try. I really hope the boot.img Antonio (thanks again) modded will help people with at least the initial setup. And I suspect a lot of people will just leave the lowmem killer settings right there at the new default. If all goes well, then I don't intend to do any further changes and this "beta" will be "released" as is. But I will be curious if there are any negative results of this modification.

Incidentally, there is no reason you can't use the original Starkos OC boot.img files, whether 691 or 710. And you can even go back to the one in Tom's rom of you don't want the overclock feature. They all should be interchangeable.

I'm leaving on a business trip in the morning and will be offline until later in the week. Enjoy everyone.

I am going test your beta ROM in a few minutes to see how the lowmem settings affect the performance.

You're welcome :)

I'm also going to compile my droidwall-enabled kernel but with only 691MHz overclock to see if you (and all the other people who can't use 710MHz kernels) can boot it.

Installed this ROM without Formating data or sdext and managed to get it to boot.... (I was using this rom CM61-Pulse0.40 ROM with a2sd).

At first glance the only thing not working is the sd card. not mounting the sd card.

EDIT: :D Got the same results Antonio... Wifi does not start, camera not working .... etc. Tried different kernels all with the same result. :D

I sent a PM to Tom to see if he could help me...

Guest wheresmyhead

Thanks for this ROM, I tried Tom G's quite some time ago and wasn't happy with the performance so went back to FLBMod.

I installed the latest beta of this last night and it seems much nicer than when I first installed CM6.

Great job :D

Guest alex wang

GREAT!!!!! THE BEST ROM UNTIL NOW!!!!!

THANKS A LOT..

BUT THERE IS A HUGE PROBLEM: EARPHONE IS NOT WORKING WELL. THE SOUND FROM EARPHONE IS LIKE THROUGH KALAOK SO IS VERY WEAK. I THINK THAT BECAUSE THE DSP INTRODUCED IN THIS VERSION.

PLEASE RESOLVE IT. THIS ROM WILL BE THE BEST OF THE BEST.