09/Feb r8 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Advent Vega with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

mcrvegar71.png

mcrvegar72.png

I'm pleased to present my MoDaCo Custom for the Advent Vega! READ THIS WHOLE POST BEFORE YOU START! No, really, it contains everything you need to know. :D

About MoDaCo Custom ROMs

MoDaCo Custom ROMs are based on official ROMs - either shipping or leaked. A MCR release is designed to feel as far as possible like a stock ROM, with optimisations, tweaks and complimentary additions that enhance the user experience. The aim of a MCR is to be ultra reliable for use on an everyday device.

Requirements

In order to use this ROM you must have an Advent Vega. And a computer. ;)

Features Included (many optional via the Online Kitchen)

• Rebuilt, compressed and optimised with the MCR build system
  • Includes 'Performance Pack v2' speed optimisations using Nvidia SDK components and other tweaks and improvements. It's fast!
  • Includes MoDaCo Custom Kernel (MCK)
  • Full Google experience including Car Home, Calendar, Contacts, Genie (News and Weather), Gmail, Maps with Street View, Market, Talk, Voice Search and YouTube
  • All Google components are running the latest release
  • Custom configuration to show ALL apps in the Android Market
  • Distinct multitouch permissions for Google Maps rotation support
  • Spare Parts application from the official Tegra Developer Kit
  • Superuser application and su binary from ChainsDD for SAFE root functionality
  • Recovery reboot utility
  • USB Mode switch utility
  • Screen calibration utility
  • 'Small Notification Bar' (it looks goooood!) with half height notification bar but full width buttons.
  • ADW Launcher
  • 'terminfo' configuration in boot image - apps like 'nano' are now be usable
  • Patched wpa_supplicant for ad-hoc support
  • Touch optimisations
  • Does not include Adobe Flash - install from the Android Market
  • Themers - this ROM is signed with the SDK Platform certs

Please see 2 posts below this one for the changes in each release.

Installation

To install this ROM (without using ClockworkMod recovery):
    • Ensure you have USB debugging enabled on your device (enabled in Settings->Applications->Development)
    • If you are using Windows, your USB 'Android Developer Bridge' driver MUST be the one included in this download (use 'Have Disk' functionality in device manager to change if required)
    • Download the zip file of your choice from the links below (or the online kitchen) and extract on your Windows PC, Linux PC or Mac
    • Connect your device to your PC
    • At a command prompt / terminal, ensure you are in the directory you extracted the files, and run 'install-windows.bat', './install-linux.sh' or './install-mac.sh' as appropriate
    • Wait for your device to reboot! ;)
      • Download the zip file of your choice from the links below (or the online kitchen) and copy to your SD card
      • Restart your device in recovery mode
      • PERFORM A NANDROID BACKUP FROM THE MENU
      • Select the option to apply an update zip, and select the zip file you copied to your memory card

Upgrading

No wipe is explicitly required in order to use this ROM, however if you do encounter issues of any kind, it is recommended that you wipe your device and reproduce the issue before raising it here.

Downloads

Prebake download

[*]r8 (default kitchen options below) - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: c7c86fb9d5929c012d7d3ba87da0a872

Kitchen download

[*]A online kitchen is also available below for you to bake a Custom Custom ROM. ;)

Thanks

It's impossible to mention everyone who contributes to the Android community by name, but to everyone out there who does great work and shares it with us all - you have my gratitude and respect.

Future Updates - READ THIS!

By providing this ROM I am not implying in any way that future updates will follow. Due to limits on my time and the fact that I have a large number of devices for short periods of time, it isn't possible for me to continue providing ROM updates indefinitely. Please do not donate / sign up on the assumption that future releases will be available (I don't want you to be disappointed!).

And finally...

If you would like to show your appreciation for the ROM, please consider supporting MoDaCo by signing up for a MoDaCo Ad Free or MoDaCo Plus account, both of which also give you early access to Beta releases and access to the the online kitchens.

Enjoy! :D

P

There may be a short wait while the load balancing software determines the best kitchen to serve your ROM. The kitchen should appear below within 20 seconds.

Changelog

r8 09/Feb

• Reoptimised - smaller, faster
  • Updated Google Maps
  • Now includes 'Link2SD' by bakpinar for A2SD functionality! Tested and working, use ClockworkMod recovery to partition SD if required. Do NOT move USB mode switcher to SD though!
    • Complete rebuild based on new base, improved performance pack, additional components and more!
      • Updated all Google components
      • Migrated touch optimisations from small bar tweak to regular size bar configuration
      • Updated Adobe Flash
      • Added 'terminfo' configuration to boot image (installed via USB Mode app), apps like 'nano' should now be usable
      • Compressed some components with the MCR build system to reduce 'out of memory' problems on install (full optimisation to follow in MCR r7)
      • Added Recovery reboot utility to the kitchen
      • Added USB Mode switch utility to the kitchen
      • Deleted duplicate instance of busybox (saves nearly 2MB)
      • Added distinct multitouch permissions file for Google Maps rotation support
      • Other minor tweaks and fixes
        • Updated to 1.06.5 release base
        • Updated all Google components
        • Now including a 'small bar' prebake option
        • Re-added Flash (which now auto-installs at the start of the add-on install process)
          • Add-On can now be flashed either via the command line or using ClockworkMod recovery
          • Skype and Wallpaper fixes now included
          • Voice Search issue now resolved
          • Device about screen now displays add-on version
            • Updated Performance Pack to fix recovery reboot issue

28/Nov 15:50

[*]Added Skype fix to the kitchen

[*]Updated Wallpaper fix

26/Nov 16:00

[*]Added Wallpaper fix to the kitchen

26/Nov

[*]Added Bluetooth Fix, minor script updates

25/Nov 13:30

[*]Added test performance pack to the kitchen

25/Nov

[*]Initial Release

Guest Jisonga

Sorry to ask such a stupid question but do i need to have rooted my vega for this rom update to work as i am interested in the usb switching part of the rom and does this include your custom kernel or do i need to download and install that first.

Jason.

Guest rferrett

Thanks for this Paul!

Must say I have a bit of an "oh no" about the Future Updates bit. Obviously you are very busy but are you likely to be tempted to look into any lovely honeycomb possibilities depending on what the level of challenge is?

All the same ta!

Ralph

Sorry to ask such a stupid question but do i need to have rooted my vega for this rom update to work as i am interested in the usb switching part of the rom and does this include your custom kernel or do i need to download and install that first.

Jason.

No, no root needed and yes, it includes my kernel, added that to my first post (which i'm massaging into shape now, lol!)

P

Thanks for this Paul!

Must say I have a bit of an "oh no" about the Future Updates bit. Obviously you are very busy but are you likely to be tempted to look into any lovely honeycomb possibilities depending on what the level of challenge is?

All the same ta!

Ralph

Unfortunately I have to put that in my topics to manage expectations! I don't want people signing up to Ad-Free / Plus on the assumption they will receive future updates, that's not what it's for and it's caused some friction previously.

re: honeycomb, we'll see when the time comes! ;)

P

Guest Jisonga

Thank you very much for your very quick reply and sorry for asking the obvious but still learning.

Well i know what i will be doing this weekend thank you Paul for all your hard work.

Jason.

Guest rferrett

Ah no worries.

For what it is worth I was happy to pay for my ad free and feel I have had my moneys worth already, top job and all that! Plus I don't have to look at ads, which is of course ace!

Ralph

Edited by rferrett

OK cool so the performance pack is wrapped-up in to this? You dont need to be a paid user to get that anymore? Also, has anyone tested this with accelerometer games? Or do we still need to aply the changed libflinger file?

Thanks a lot Paul, fantastic work as always!

BTW Paul in this ROM is the partition that caused all the BSOD with CWM fixed?

Are we cool to just install CWM once the R7 has been installed?

Ralph

The boot image is no longer mounting /misc, so hopefully the BSOD is resolved.

sorry to be a muppet but is there any benefit to upgrading to 1.08 before applying this or does this replace everything ?

This replaces everything.

P

OK cool so the performance pack is wrapped-up in to this? You dont need to be a paid user to get that anymore? Also, has anyone tested this with accelerometer games? Or do we still need to aply the changed libflinger file?

Thanks a lot Paul, fantastic work as always!

Correct, the PP is baked into the core now.

P

Guest ravemaster8210
This replaces everything.

P

So what would be the workflow to get a clean/virgin install after a lot of testing and flashing the beta roms?

-Mike

So what would be the workflow to get a clean/virgin install after a lot of testing and flashing the beta roms?

-Mike

Do an 'erase all content and settings' from Settings -> Software Tool, and once it reboots, install the ROM.

P

Do an 'erase all content and settings' from Settings -> Software Tool, and once it reboots, install the ROM.

P

Argh! So this replaces user data etc? ie All apps and settings will have to be reinstalled? Or Will a backup and reinstall after R7 goes on save me the hassle?

not bothered either way, as I would rather spend extra time making sure it works perfectly - but would love to avoid the hassle of reinstalling apps 1 by 1 if poss!

Thanks.

Guest Sir Gash

Paul, after 30 minutes of use, here are my findings:

Performance: great!

Rendering Glitches: 99.8% gone!

Calendar: fixed! ;)

r7 should keep me busy until Honeycomb for Vega is released ;)

Argh! So this replaces user data etc? ie All apps and settings will have to be reinstalled? Or Will a backup and reinstall after R7 goes on save me the hassle?

not bothered either way, as I would rather spend extra time making sure it works perfectly - but would love to avoid the hassle of reinstalling apps 1 by 1 if poss!

Thanks.

No? It doesn't... that was in response to ravemaster8210 asking me how to do a 'clean install'!

P

Great work Paul, applied and running using install-windows.bat from xp. Now I am happy my system is all up to date with latest i am considering installing clockwork mod for future use. Are the instructions in the thread relating to it its installation still correct for this build?

thanks again