09/Feb r8 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Advent Vega with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Mr E Mann

Quadrant of 1899 on r7...

then while typing that in here an FC error...

Ran it straight away... this time it runs with the CPU test... (it missed that out before) and a nice 2145 ;)

Edited by Mr E Mann

Guest sgruffalo

Firstly, thanks to Paul and all involved in getting the vega to this level. I have now installed MCR r7 and CWM with no problems ;) The only issue that I have now is that i cannot get flash to work. I have tried installing from the market and restoring from a titanium backup with no success. Can anybody advise what the cause of this issue may be and how i can resolve it?

Thanks

Steve

Guest Country Bumkin

First a thank you to Paul for all his hard work, I got my Vega yesterday and have been reading this forum for a few days before so I was prepared for the update.

This afternoon I flashed the ROM to his prebaked version and all seemed well, turned my ‘toy’ into a useful machine but (there is always a but…), like others I found I could not use the SD card to either copy applications to, or install anything on.

So I thought as the card was unused anyway (brand new machine) I would just try formatting the card and try again.

At this point let me say I know little about Android so what I did may not be correct but I went into settings, SD Card, and found the Format command was greyed out. So I pressed the Un-mount command and Format lit up. I pressed the Format bar and it gave a quick flash and that was it. Pressing the Mount SD Card again did nothing and I got a warning that the card was either blank or had the wrong file system.

So can anyone suggest how I can fix this so my card is useable again?

Many thanks CB.

Guest GingerDayWalker
First a thank you to Paul for all his hard work, I got my Vega yesterday and have been reading this forum for a few days before so I was prepared for the update.

This afternoon I flashed the ROM to his prebaked version and all seemed well, turned my ‘toy’ into a useful machine but (there is always a but…), like others I found I could not use the SD card to either copy applications to, or install anything on.

So I thought as the card was unused anyway (brand new machine) I would just try formatting the card and try again.

At this point let me say I know little about Android so what I did may not be correct but I went into settings, SD Card, and found the Format command was greyed out. So I pressed the Un-mount command and Format lit up. I pressed the Format bar and it gave a quick flash and that was it. Pressing the Mount SD Card again did nothing and I got a warning that the card was either blank or had the wrong file system.

So can anyone suggest how I can fix this so my card is useable again?

Many thanks CB.

I had this issue awhile back, for some reason i have no idea why it seams to format it to the wrong file system? beyond me but i had to put the card in my desire and then format it on that, swapped it back into the vega and boom! she worked again... hope this helps ;)

Guest Country Bumkin
I had this issue awhile back, for some reason i have no idea why it seams to format it to the wrong file system? beyond me but i had to put the card in my desire and then format it on that, swapped it back into the vega and boom! she worked again... hope this helps ;)

Thanks for the reply, any idea what file format the SD card used because I don't have another device I could format it with but if it's a normal Linux format I could boot from a live CD in my laptop and use Linux to format it.

I think I can remember how ;) .

Just incase anyone was wondering, this ROM still suffers from the accelerometer X-Y swapping issue but this can still be fixed by replacing the modified libsurfaceflinger_client.so file from the accelerometer thread on these forums, But doing so breaks mouse support, although basically all accelerometer games work correctly one this has been done ;)

Zeb

Guest GingerDayWalker
Thanks for the reply, any idea what file format the SD card used because I don't have another device I could format it with but if it's a normal Linux format I could boot from a live CD in my laptop and use Linux to format it.

I think I can remember how ;) .

No idea pal, i used the Desire to format it again so i didn't see what it was... I couldn't find my card reader at the time. I'm guessing it's just Fat32....???

Running so smooth, starting to love this device.

Quadrant did a 2307 score.

I have changed LCD density to 140 which gives my a very good experience!

There is a free program for it, which works flawless. Tried 120 and worked too.

Edited by RielN

Has anyone tested GPS with 1.08 + MCR r7?

I use the BT Wayfinder with Car Home / Google Maps, currently on 1.06.5 MCR R6 and working fine business. Cant wait to upgrade but have heard in other threads some issues with GPS on Rom 1.0.8 ?

Thanks

Steve

I should qualify that I was also using Bluetooth GPS Provider to enable comms to GPS, and works a treat.

I will be upgrading very soon and will report if any problems.

Thanks all

Steve

I have had this problem with other releases. My theory is that if the app has previously been moved to the SD card the next time you try move it finds the previous copy

and fails to move. If you re-press the move to SD card button it will move the app to the card. I have not found any apps that fail to move after the second attempt. I do not think this is anything to do with the r7 release.

I tried to roll back to R6 with MCK2 from Nandroid backup and was able to move apps to SD with no problems. Reinstalled R7 using CWM and can not move any new apps to SD. This did not seem to be size dependant, it does nbot matter how many times I tried to prtess the button.

Is there anybody who can move apps to SD when using R7 and if yeas what update metod you used. Thanks.

maybe your screen is dying, you might have to try flashing a pure stock rom, see if problem still remains, if so then its likely to be your hardware, if not then for some strange reason its the rom.

I flashed stock rom, and it appears my screen has indeed died. I have 2cm band down the left hand side thats still responsive , but the rest is dead. So it's going back to PC world today.

Guest nickwarn
I tried to roll back to R6 with MCK2 from Nandroid backup and was able to move apps to SD with no problems. Reinstalled R7 using CWM and can not move any new apps to SD. This did not seem to be size dependant, it does nbot matter how many times I tried to prtess the button.

Is there anybody who can move apps to SD when using R7 and if yeas what update metod you used. Thanks.

I can. If your talking about the in built froyo AP2SD. It works just fine. I just press the button move to SD and it moves. I installed from clockwork and i used a rom i baked in the kitchen.

I can. If your talking about the in built froyo AP2SD. It works just fine. I just press the button move to SD and it moves. I installed from clockwork and i used a rom i baked in the kitchen.

Did you try with the app which has never been on the SD before? It works if I move app off sd and then back. What options did you use in the kitchen?

Guest nickwarn
Did you try with the app which has never been on the SD before? It works if I move app off sd and then back. What options did you use in the kitchen?

Yep, i never had any of them on there before

Edit: Just tryed one moore, Dropbox it just flies over

Edited by nickwarn

Guest Nemes1s
Running so smooth, starting to love this device.

Quadrant did a 2307 score.

I have changed LCD density to 140 which gives my a very good experience!

There is a free program for it, which works flawless. Tried 120 and worked too.

What was the app you used todo this?

Guest Nemes1s

Mine works fine. Built r7 in the kitchen. Update was over the top of r6. Saw the posts about moving to sd so downloaded several apps from market, lef them install and then moved them without problem. Is it due to CWM?

More screen artifact problems than I had on r6. ;)

Guest gdwhitehouse
Mine works fine. Built r7 in the kitchen. Update was over the top of r6. Saw the posts about moving to sd so downloaded several apps from market, lef them install and then moved them without problem. Is it due to CWM?

More screen artifact problems than I had on r6. ;)

Agree there are more screen artifacts, but they are way, way less than before Paul did his stuff (great job). I have noticed they are worse when switching from one orientation to the other, then they go away.

On a whole different point, I can't get the new web based market to install anything on my Vega. Works to my Desire and the Market thinks it works on here, but it "no instally!".

G

Guest Mr E Mann

I used CWM to update.. and I too have the same issue with the apps not going to SD...

Even the gps is now working on mine. I use the cheapo ebay gps unit via the Bluetooth gps app, it finds the position and I can then open Google maps and get it to show my location. I haven't tried it with any other maps yet.

I installed r7 using CWM on 2 vega's and have apps to sd problem on both of them although it only effectes certain apps. I have just downloaded PhotoFunia (which is a great app by the way) and it moved to sd no problem, so it might be worth trying that as a indication to if there is any consistantcy across the board.

I have had this issue previously with which some of the earlier updates which did appear to get recified at some point but i do not know how. One day i had the problem and next i didnt.

Guest Country Bumkin

First sorry this is a long post but it’s my findings about the problems with the SD card and *may* give Paul some clues on where to find the problem (see my earlier post from last night).

I received my Vega 2 days ago and it came with the 1.08 version of the firmware.

During my ‘familiarising’ session with the Vega I had a look at the file system and what was on the SD card with the application iFileManager. I noticed the SD card was formatted and had 2 folders on it called Android and LOST.DIR

Yesterday I flashed the prebaked upgrade from Pauls download and it went fine exactly as predicted, but I was unable to copy or install anything on the SD card. From my earlier post you can see I tried, unsuccessfully to format the card.

Last night just as I was going to bed my son suggested we try the card in a USB converter and see what Paragon Partition 10 made of the card under Windows.

Paragon reported the card was indeed blank but warned it had an incorrect ID; the ID on the card was Hex 0x0C Fat32 LBA. Now LBA or Logical Block Addressing is usually reserved for large real Hard Disks and it was strange to see it on a small 4 Gig SD card.

As we didn’t know what format to use my son suggested we try formatting the card as standard Windows FAT32 which works in most mobile phones, 5 seconds later Paragon reported the card formatted correctly as ID 0x0B Fat32. After putting the card back in the Vega and re-booting, the card was mounted correctly and the 2 folders reappeared on the card (they were not visible after the flash upgrade) and I was able to successfully make and delete a test folder on the drive.

Later today I shall try installing and or moving applications to the drive and see if it now works correctly.

A few things for maybe beginners (like me) to note;

The SD card seems to be standard Fat32 so can be read and written too in a normal Windows laptop or PC with a card reader, saves all that faffing about with USB cables and stuff.

Error messages come up in the small task bar at the top of the screen and you get to them by placing you finger on the bar and dragging in down so it expands and shows the message (this includes Email messages as well).

Putting your finger on a folder and holding it there pops up a menu that gives options for rename, move, delete etc.

Pressing and holding the off button also pops down a menu that gives options including the full off button.

Anyway enough said, will shut up now, regards, CB.

Guest Nemes1s
Just incase anyone was wondering, this ROM still suffers from the accelerometer X-Y swapping issue but this can still be fixed by replacing the modified libsurfaceflinger_client.so file from the accelerometer thread on these forums, But doing so breaks mouse support, although basically all accelerometer games work correctly one this has been done ;)

Zeb

I'm struggling to find the correct thread for this (to much beer last night) can you point me in the right direction?