09/Feb r8 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Advent Vega with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

Thanks a lot Paul for the new ROM, I'm very happy with it.

My only issue so far:

I can't install cifs manager: I can install it from the market, then when I try to start from the launcher it it is telling me the application is not installed on my phone. I can start it from the market directly though, very strange....

P.S: It tells me my samba share is mounted, but I can't see any of the files

Edited by Uzi74

Guest browser01

AAArrrgghh I have downloaded and unzipped r7 and am trying to update the vega usb drivers in preparation for a full update. In Device manager on an HP pavilion running Win Vista 32bit the device is/seems to be located under disk drives/ nvidia Tegra 2 - USB device and also seems to be located under USB Mass storage device though not by any identifiable name. I have tried updating both sets of drivers ..Have disk etc but when I browse to the unzipped r7 folder windows cannot find any compatable drivers. It also seems that 'windows has determined that I have the most up to date drivers'. This 'easy' job is turning into a nightmare and the published guides/utube vids are in no way similar to what I am faced with. Pointers to Any help - idiots guides, vids etc. could just possibly save my sanity. Also when was r7 uploaded and has anybody used this current file to a successful outcome? Thanks Browser

Edited by browser01

Guest Halibut
Do an 'erase all content and settings' from Settings -> Software Tool, and once it reboots, install the ROM.

P

I've done an erase all contents but all I've got now is a backlit screen no reboot into riginal factory settings. I have an expensive brick. Help.

Guest zzleezz

Probably erased your launcher, I had the same thing when I installed a rom without selecting either the original launcher or the ADW one (dullard).

Had to restore back with the vega 1.08 rom from the advent support website.

Guest Halibut
Probably erased your launcher, I had the same thing when I installed a rom without selecting either the original launcher or the ADW one (dullard).

Had to restore back with the vega 1.08 rom from the advent support website.

I'm trying to do that but I'm in all sorts of bother here. The recovery driver installed (I think) but I'm not seeing the vega in device manager and the new 1.08 file won't run from the pc, it says it can't be opened. Hmmmmmmm :P

Guest Genieuk

Finally bit the bullet and installed r7 using the CWM after installing FW 1.08. This was my first update since the first round of MCR's when the advent came out.

So far looking good. Thanks a million to Paul.

Guest Halibut
I'm trying to do that but I'm in all sorts of bother here. The recovery driver installed (I think) but I'm not seeing the vega in device manager and the new 1.08 file won't run from the pc, it says it can't be opened. Hmmmmmmm :P

OK guys panic over, finally managed to get the beast into recovery mode by moving to PC from laptop, tapping out some sort of morse code on the power and back buttons and installing the driver more in hope than expectation so now back to base station with a squeaky clean version 1.08. About to embark on the r7, maybe I shouldn't today considering the hash I've made of things so far but hey I'm feeling brave. After all I have a nice virgin v1.08 to flash it over now.

Guest zzleezz
OK guys panic over, finally managed to get the beast into recovery mode by moving to PC from laptop, tapping out some sort of morse code on the power and back buttons and installing the driver more in hope than expectation so now back to base station with a squeaky clean version 1.08. About to embark on the r7, maybe I shouldn't today considering the hash I've made of things so far but hey I'm feeling brave. After all I have a nice virgin v1.08 to flash it over now.

Good luck!

Apart from the ones inflicted on myself I have had no problems with flashing updates so far. All very smooth so far.

Guest oldrichie
Daft question time

I had r6 on my Vega with the pre-xmas non flash s/w, now I have put r7 on, should I have updated with Advents new post xmas s/w or is it all included?

Ta very much

Michael

Ditto - should I have flashed 1.08 before R7? works fine, seems faster etc

I also put mcr7 over 1.6 and it worked fine.

I was bored today so I flashed to 1.8 from the Advent site and then put mcr7 on.

It does feel slightly faster and my Quadrant score improved by a couple of hundred.

Have you tried the suggestion here earlier in the thread? worked for me for all but three apps... well two now as for some reason "home switcher" moved no problem later :P

@ Mr E Mann - just so you don't think me rude - thanks for the suggestion, but I've not had time to try it yet, will do later.

:-)

Guest andycap

I seem to loose Root when i use the USB mode switcher. I can switch from slave to host fine, but then nothing that needs root works and I cannot switch back to slave because the switcher just hangs. When rebooting after this the vega just hangs on Booting and I have to install 1.08 back on it and then all the extras.

Anyone else having this problem?

Guest Halibut

Well what can I say, an hour ago I owned an expensive grey brick now I own fully functioning android tablet with the best google can offer. My profound gratitute, I humbly prostrate myself before the tech wizards on here and I'll certainly be subscribing tomorrow evening when I can wipe the satisfied smug grin off my face.

The set up was easy in the end my problems were all down to the attempt to erase data to get a clean install. I've no idea why the Vega went belly up after I did that, it simply wouldn't reboot back into the factory state. I'm learning fast, thank heavens for this forum.

Paul if you could possibly hack my credit card company database and wipe off a few grand I'll gladly go fifty-fifty on the write off. :P

Guest Mr E Mann

@wi-fli ... no problem :P although I just followed someone else's suggestion from a couple of pages back and it keeps working fine... so all good :D

Morning,

On the topic on moving app to SD - I have found that anything new I install from the Market moves to SD no problem. So it's just the existing apps I had before R7 update in main memorey I can not move to SD. I went a step further and found out that if I uninstall the existing app that refuses to move to SD and reinstall it I am able to move it to SD wihout problem. Since I only had a few of those, I have quickley solved the issue I had. Thanks to all.

And a special thanks to Paul - the tablet seems to fly with R7.

Eriks

PS. I still suspect (can not prove anything) it is a bit more power hungry than stock kernel on 1.06.5

Edited by eriksp

Guest godinandroid

I am liking R7 overall, had a couple of issues with lockups and difficulty selecting things using the touchscreen, but lockups seem to have resolved themselves and the screen calibration app has sorted the other issues:)

If you started on the old kernal, does this actually update to the newer one, or is it just compatible with both?

+1 at using more power, I think.

Guest Clark80

Just installed directly over 1.06.5 mcr 6 using my Mac

The script started to run and couldn't find some sort of file at the beginning but installed all the same. Thanks!

ps. how do I get a screenshot on the Vega? I want to show you guys the about screen which looks a little strange...

Guest monkums

Big thanks to Paul. Been waiting for a couple of weeks for this as I needed to wipe my Vegas (due to setting it up with the wrong google account).

Did an erase all on my r6 +pp then used the windows install and all went fine.

Guest Zaspath

Thanks for the work on this Paul, I have a question which it's possible anyone could answer for me, it's been asked in this thread but not answered. Is there any benefit to flashing the Advent 1.08 first before applying this R7 update? (Apart from having a nice clean install that is, I like many others have 1.06 with R6).

Thanks!

Guest Ramnath
I seem to loose Root when i use the USB mode switcher. I can switch from slave to host fine, but then nothing that needs root works and I cannot switch back to slave because the switcher just hangs. When rebooting after this the vega just hangs on Booting and I have to install 1.08 back on it and then all the extras.

Anyone else having this problem?

Which rooting software are you using? I had the same problem when I used Visionary. For some reason, saving the option of rooting automatically while running this app is selected doesn't work. I solved this issue by not selecting the option to root automatically. Instead whenever I have to change the usb mode, I just temproot using Visionary and run this app.

May be this helps..

Guest rvdgeer
Which rooting software are you using? I had the same problem when I used Visionary. For some reason, saving the option of rooting automatically while running this app is selected doesn't work. I solved this issue by not selecting the option to root automatically. Instead whenever I have to change the usb mode, I just temproot using Visionary and run this app.

May be this helps..

When installing an official ROM and installing an MCR (Add-On) on top of that you should NEVER have to re-root your device...

Guest Halibut
Thanks for the work on this Paul, I have a question which it's possible anyone could answer for me, it's been asked in this thread but not answered. Is there any benefit to flashing the Advent 1.08 first before applying this R7 update? (Apart from having a nice clean install that is, I like many others have 1.06 with R6).

Thanks!

Personally I ended up with a shiny clean V1.08 after an "Erase All Data" went belly up so I reinstalled 1.08 from recovery mode then flashed R7 immediately afterwards. So far everything is a good as perfect no corruptions and excellent performance. Not sure if that helps as I can't say what 1.06 with r6 was like having had my Vega arrive a week ago with 1.08 on board and I purposely waited for r7 before flashing the MCR.

Edited by Halibut

Guest English Haze
Is there any benefit to flashing the Advent 1.08 first before applying this R7 update? (Apart from having a nice clean install that is, I like many others have 1.06 with R6).

As I understand it you can upgrade your Vega with MCR7 coming from any other version since it is an entire ROM upgrade and not a bunch of updates to a stock ROM which previous updates have been. So I believe the answer to your question is, there is no benefit to being on 1.08 because you're going to overwrite it all anyway.