09/Feb r8 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Advent Vega with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

As I understand it you can upgrade your Vega with MCR7 coming from any other version since it is an entire ROM upgrade and not a bunch of updates to a stock ROM which previous updates have been. So I believe the answer to your question is, there is no benefit to being on 1.08 because you're going to overwrite it all anyway.

Speaking from a position of ignorance, I'm not sure I agree with that as all your apps and data remain in place, so it can't be updating everything.

A complete ROM update wipes everything

Speaking from a position of ignorance, I'm not sure I agree with that as all your apps and data remain in place, so it can't be updating everything.

A complete ROM update wipes everything

Wiping the data is down to the way the ROM is applied, not the fact that you're flashing a new ROM. R7 only overwrites system data, so your apps etc SHOULD be OK....

Guest elvch01

A huge thanks for this ROM :P . I can't make any comment yet about speed, perfromance and/or battery life, but I can definietly say that OpenVPN works great :D :huh: :P . For me this is the killer app and once I'd reflashed to this ROM, it took only a few minutes to generate new keys, config etc and get it running.

Guest software
A huge thanks for this ROM :P . I can't make any comment yet about speed, perfromance and/or battery life, but I can definietly say that OpenVPN works great :D :huh: :P . For me this is the killer app and once I'd reflashed to this ROM, it took only a few minutes to generate new keys, config etc and get it running.

Did you have to do anything special to get openvpn working on r7? The last version I had to mess around with simlinking busybox binaries to ifconfig and route to get it to set the ip and route after connecting.

Guest Ramnath

Ok..

So I finally found time to flash my vega. Must say its realllly fast..

Thanks for such a great work Paul..

One problem (as always.. :P) is that when connecting wireless mouse, I cant see the mouse pointer, though clicking and dragging works..

It used to work before with Stock 1.8 ROM..

Also my logitech wireless keyboard doesn't work. though a a wired one works.

Any idea why?

I would really like to know how you got openvpn to work. I have been trying to get it to work on the vega with r7 but could not get it to connect to my openvpn server. My ubuntu netbook connects without a problem. I am using the same config file but offcourse with another client certificate. I am using the openvpn installer and config available from the market.

Please do share with us what you used and what you did to make openvpn work for you.

Edited by Scanno

Updated to r7 from clean 1.06.5 install, much faster and smoother but........

Generally seems to be less stable artifacts on screen when switching some apps, cant move apps to sd card also crashed out of apps a couple times

Is there a consensus most stable update route?

Also now having battery issues noted on other thread, is this also common to all vegas?

Guest diazamet
No, not yet, trying to find a copy. In the meantime I'm trying to run the ROM install from Windows instead.

UPDATE: same result on 1.06 sadly.

UPDATE 2: Flashed the ROM from a Windows machine and it worked perfectly. My problem was clearly something specific to Linux.

In another post there were some changes that were made to the Windows install script. I found that the same changes needed to be applied to the install-linux.sh script.

Guest software
I would really like to know how you got openvpn to work. I have been trying to get it to work on the vega with r7 but could not get it to connect to my openvpn server. My ubuntu netbook connects without a problem. I am using the same config file but offcourse with another client certificate. I am using the openvpn installer and config available from the market.

Please do share with us what you used and what you did to make openvpn work for you.

This what I did on r6 to get it to work. : http://android.modaco.com/index.php?s=&amp...t&p=1581213

I haven't been able to get it to work on r7 yet so I did a nandroid restore of my old config. I think the problem lies somewhere in the ifconfig and route binaries and the busy-box version. With r7 and default r6 install it connects but fails to set the ip adress and routes. Doing the simlinks to busybox for ifconfig and route solved it on r6.

Guest TheRaul

R7 working lovely. Updated my 1.08 from MCR 6. Very straightforward and found absolutely no issues. It seems to be faster but have no objective metrics for this. Good job all in all.

Guest Halibut
Updated to r7 from clean 1.06.5 install, much faster and smoother but........

Generally seems to be less stable artifacts on screen when switching some apps, cant move apps to sd card also crashed out of apps a couple times

Is there a consensus most stable update route?

Also now having battery issues noted on other thread, is this also common to all vegas?

Install R7 over clean 1.08 is very stable for me at present, used for several hours over the last two evening with no obvious problems.

Battery life is a mystery though, I did a full power down at 58% then rebooted a few minutes later the battery showed 15% :P . A guy posted a usage graph on the battery issues thread which sort of put my mind at ease. I had the battery issue before installing R7 so nothing to do with custom ROM. I'm going to do a usage test over the weekend to check battery capacity once and for all.

Guest montage

Flashed last night from 1.06 no pp- and its very fast smooth, and now typing produces no lag what so ever, amazing result!....

its beyond me how profit far out weights user experience. When they make these devices they should ship from the factory like they are performing now, not some hobbled together joke version of android, and i know myself for one.. if it not be for the likes of people in community driven forums, i wouldnt of gone near the vega for the simple fact so far the only major update from DSG was to remove flash. I think they need to spend less time on cases, screen protector discount codes and desk top stands and not leave the more important software development aspect to others.

Guest TylerDurdenK

@Paul,

Do you have any information or a fix for the Bt GPS issue we are experiencing on the 1.08 based release?

If I remember rightly when Advent released 1.08 it added an option (all be it greyed out) to Location & Settings that reads "Use GPS Satellites" This option was not in 1.06.5 and this rom enables GPS apps like navigate to see the BT GPS data.

Thanks

Guest rferrett

as r7 has made me love my vega sp much more i have to say the space issues are becoming ever more acute for me. And the problen with the native froyo apps to sd is problematic. Any chance of getting apps2sd in the kitchen?

as r7 has made me love my vega sp much more i have to say the space issues are becoming ever more acute for me. And the problen with the native froyo apps to sd is problematic. Any chance of getting apps2sd in the kitchen?

Titanium Backup is in the kitchen and allows Apps to SD :P

I'm with rferrett, although titanium backup has apps to SD, it doesn't 'just work' like DarkTremor's solution.

There's always a few apps that play up.

With a2sd, if you don't like the solution then you don't have to use it but it's very nice to have it available :D

I've flashed this but the key presses still stick. It's impossible to use this like this. Is there a fix or does it look like I'm left with a dud device?

Guest djtrapnell

Hi Guys,

I tried the update using my Mac and every line in the mac install script returned the error;

dyld: unknown required load command 0x80000022

any ideas ?

D.

Guest Sir Gash

Hi Paul,

As I am desperately low on internal storage, can you can confirm the following please:

- In /data/local there is a copy of flash_image and recovery.img, can these be deleted? Are they moved there by the USB host/slave switcher?

- In /data/app I have com.modaco.vegausbmode.apk and com.modaco.vegausbmode-1.apk (total 24MB!), is this somehow duplicated or is it normal? Is there any way to store some of this on SD, update /data/local when switching USB mode (if that is what happens) and then delete from /data/local automatically upon reboot?

- Can any other optimisations be made to the Vega's partition tables to increase internal storage?

Any other tips will be appreciated, hopefully you will figure out how to get legacy Apps2SD working so it won't be such a problem.

Cheers!

Guest andycap
Hi Paul,

As I am desperately low on internal storage, can you can confirm the following please:

- In /data/local there is a copy of flash_image and recovery.img, can these be deleted? Are they moved there by the USB host/slave switcher?

- In /data/app I have com.modaco.vegausbmode.apk and com.modaco.vegausbmode-1.apk (total 24MB!), is this somehow duplicated or is it normal? Is there any way to store some of this on SD, update /data/local when switching USB mode (if that is what happens) and then delete from /data/local automatically upon reboot?

- Can any other optimisations be made to the Vega's partition tables to increase internal storage?

Any other tips will be appreciated, hopefully you will figure out how to get legacy Apps2SD working so it won't be such a problem.

Cheers!

I had the same problem as you, only 28mb free storage. I downloaded an app called Move2SD Enabler. This switches on the ability to move apps that are device only to SD. I had problems with apps that would not move and threw the not enough storage error whilst trying to move them.

I have now managed to free up 141mb internal storage just by moving most of my apps to SD.

Before i installed Move2SD Enabler I had moved everything that would move and was at 28mb free at that point.

The apps that would not move because of low space error, I just moved with Titanium backup or just uninstalled and re-installed to fix them.

I have even been able to move Adobe Flash and Adobe Air to SD.

Don't try and move anything that has or is a widget though because the widgets will not work.

I also would like to see some optimisation done on the partition tables, or even moving the internal storage to SD card. (My Dell streak has 2gb internal storage and it is on an internal SD card, not fixed memory)

Changelog

r8 09/Feb

• Reoptimised - smaller, faster
  • Updated Google Maps
  • Now includes 'Link2SD' by bakpinar for A2SD functionality! Tested and working, use ClockworkMod recovery to partition SD if required. Do NOT move USB mode switcher to SD though!

:P

P