04/Feb Fr1 - MoDaCo Custom ROM for the Samsung Galaxy Tab with Online Kitchen

Guest PaulOBrien

I'm pleased to present my MoDaCo Custom for the Samsung Galaxy Tab! READ THIS WHOLE POST BEFORE YOU START! No, really, it contains everything you need to know. :D

About MoDaCo Custom ROMs

MoDaCo Custom ROMs are based on official ROMs - either shipping or leaked. A MCR release is designed to feel as far as possible like a stock ROM, with optimisations, tweaks and complimentary additions that enhance the user experience. The aim of a MCR is to be ultra reliable for use on an everyday device.

Requirements

In order to use this ROM you must have ClockworkMod Recovery installed either via ROM Manager or using my MCK flash via Odin.

Features Included (many optional via the Online Kitchen)
  • Rebuilt, compressed and optimised with the MCR build system
  • MoDaCo Custom Kernel (MCK) r3 now included - performance tweaks and support for /etc/init.d
  • Auto EXT4 conversion on install
  • Additional schedulers and governors
  • Reboot on power button menu
  • AppWidgetPicker
  • Full width Swype
  • Additional Gingerbread sounds (notifications, ringtones etc.)
  • Latest APN list from the cyanogenmod repository (user request)
  • Semi-transparent notification pulldown
  • All Google components are running the latest release
  • Spare Parts
  • Superuser application and su binary from ChainsDD for SAFE root functionality
  • 'terminfo' configuration in boot image - apps like 'nano' are now be usable
  • Based on the XWJMI release
  • De-odexed
  • Themers - this ROM is signed with the SDK Platform certs

Please see 2 posts below this one for the changes in each release.

Installation

To install this ROM:
    • Download the zip file of your choice from the links below (or the online kitchen) and copy to your SD card
    • Restart your device in recovery mode
    • PERFORM A NANDROID BACKUP FROM THE MENU
    • Select the option to apply an update zip, and select the zip file you copied to your memory card - your device will auto convert to EXT4 on installation. You MUST have a microSD installed with enough space to back up your /data and /system partitions!

You MUST select the 'wipe' version when installing this ROM UNLESS you are upgrading from a previous Beta or full release. If you do encounter issues of any kind, it is recommended that you wipe your device and reproduce the issue before raising it here.

Downloads

Prebake download
      • r1 (default kitchen options below - non wipe - only use if upgrading a previous release / Beta) - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 6c348750901497b2a519361e439bfe31
      • r1 (default kitchen options below - auto wipe - use this if you are not upgrading from a previous release / Beta) - DOWNLOAD (Mediafire Pro) - MD5: 8b53de78acea9e9cee4dea10f554b4ba
      • Kitchen download

[*]an online kitchen is also available below for you to bake a Custom Custom ROM. ;)

Thanks

It's impossible to mention everyone who contributes to the Android community by name, but to everyone out there who does great work and shares it with us all - you have my gratitude and respect.

Future Updates - READ THIS!

By providing this ROM I am not implying in any way that future updates will follow. Due to limits on my time and the fact that I have a large number of devices for short periods of time, it isn't possible for me to continue providing ROM updates indefinitely. Please do not donate / sign up on the assumption that future releases will be available (I don't want you to be disappointed!).

And finally...

If you would like to show your appreciation for the ROM, please consider supporting MoDaCo by signing up for a MoDaCo Ad Free or MoDaCo Plus account, both of which also give you early access to Beta releases and access to the the online kitchens.

Enjoy! ;)

P

There may be a short wait while the load balancing software determines the best kitchen to serve your ROM. The kitchen should appear below within 20 seconds.

Changelog

r1 04/Feb

• First kitchen release
  • Added patched Phone option
  • Minor changes
    • Additional T9 dictionaries
      • Rebased on XWJMI
      • Built with updated optimisation scripts
        • Reboot on power button menu
        • Added download mode option to reboot app
        • Performance optimisations
        • WiFi disconnect fix
        • Backlight fix
          • Settings fix

• Camera fix
            • Beta 2 28/Jan

[*]Now based on the JMG release

[*]Fixed 'dict' crash

[*]Fixed device not responding correctly to 'reboot' command

[*]Added AppWidgetPicker (user request)

[*]Revered Swype to the 'full widget' version (will be optional when kitchen is online)

[*]Restored / updated e-reading applications

[*]Updated Flash Player

[*]Added Titanium Backup in ROM (for convenience - will be optional when kitchen is online)

[*]Included non-wipe update for Beta 1 users

[*]Gingerbread sounds (notifications, ringtones etc.)

Beta 1 26/Jan

[*]Faster!

[*]De-odexed and re-signed key components (platform keys) - installing this build wipes your Tab. Remember first boot on a de-odexed ROM can take a few minutes.

[*]CSC modified to show XEU apps in 'Samsung Apps'

[*]Ebooks application restored

[*]MoDaCo Custom Kernel (MCK) r3 now included - performance tweaks and support for /etc/init.d

[*]Additional schedulers and governors

[*]Added the latest APN list from the cyanogenmod repository (user request)

[*]Resolved issue with 'adb install' (PM issue)

[*]Semi-transparent notification pulldown

[*]Tweaks to battery icon display levels

[*]Kernel now installed by update zip

[*]Fixed problem with battery charge indicator when device is off

alpha2 25/Jan

[*]Fixed Swype crash

[*]Fixed Email application not working with Exchange servers

[*]Fixed some applications missing from Android Market

alpha1 24/Jan

[*]lnitial release

Funny, I did install the last beta pretty much 20 minutes ago. ;)

Anyways, time to update. Thanks, Paul! ;)

Just out of interest, what Applications from the 'kitchen' menu are included with the file available for direct download? All of them?

Guest Robert Sydbrink
Odd... the nowipe version wiped my device. ;)

Same here. The nowipe wiped mine to ;)

Not that big a deal but have to fix some things (:

Guest trektech

upgraded from beta 7 and used the no wipe.. but it wiped my tab. lol anyway not a problem for me. everythings backed up.. Thank you Paul for this very good rom...

Guest sts_fin

Thank you Paul,

Bought the adfree modaco just because you made the Tab what it should be!

Will upgrade to the premium edition if the rom gets the wiimote bluez some day ;)

Guest roy8846

what baseband is this to be used with?? My call quality is rubbish so need to change it I think. I still have the one I got with JJ7.

It used to be linked to in the other thread but its gone now..

Guest suilow1991
Thank you Paul,

Bought the adfree modaco just because you made the Tab what it should be!

Will upgrade to the premium edition if the rom gets the wiimote bluez some day ;)

i did the same thing as you also moment ago ;)

Guest clockwork_LS

Very nice, feels all very smooth.

was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem as me, but the game "tank hero" has not worked since beta 1 and even after full wipes it force closes as soon as i hit the icon. its a really cool game and its a pity it dosent work at all.

Edited by clockwork_LS

Guest rob61280
Very nice, feels all very smooth.

was wondering if anyone else was having the same problem as me, but the game "tank hero" has not worked since beta 1 and even after full wipes it force closes as soon as i hit the icon. its a really cool game and its a pity it dosent work at all.

Yup I've noticed the same thing.

Hi Paul

I've just installed MCR r1 as an upgrage from beta 7 and Camera fails

Has anyone else got this issue?

All seemed to go so well

Jonathan

Edited by jda180

Guest clockwork_LS
Hi Paul

I've just installed MCR r1 as an upgrage from beta 7 and Camera fails

Has anyone else got this issue?

All seemed to go so well

Jonathan

Camera works here!!!

On my Nexus One, under Wifi settings and Advanced there is an option called Regulatory domain where I can tell the wifi chip to use more channels... This option is missing in action on the Tab... Any change of adding such a feature in a future version?

Or is there a config file on the Tab I can manually edit, to increase the number of channels to use?

BTJ