Who determined stagefright was broken?

Guest sawta

Hi Guys,

All over this forum there are mentions that stagefright is broken and gives false scores in quadrant....

When you consider that stagefright accelerates H.264 decoding which is a one of the factors that quadrant benchmarks (and it should be a big factor, H.264 decoding is a great judge of a devices capability) it seems natural for it to boost scores.

Basically, where is the proof that this is broken? (search is useless as this is peppered all over the site, everytime with no refrence)

To quote the royal society nullius in verba

Guest SWOriginal

& even if it does double the quadrant scores 'Stagefright is NOT broken' quadrant meens nothing so i dont even know why people are obsessed by the scores.

Fact is stagefright has to be enabled to play some games (Gameloft) and it does not affect or break anything els other than the quadrant benchmarks so i see no reason for it to be dissabled in every rom by default

Guest Simon O

Certain elements of stagefright are broken in Android 2.2 which didn't get fixed until later versions. Biggest problem is the non-functional H.264 video decoder which means any application trying to playback video in this format will have green bar corruption across the screen.

Gameloft games need it enabled which is one reason why I'd like to see a small application that will disable/enable stagefright on custom roms along with other parts of the OS.

Guest SWOriginal
Certain elements of stagefright are broken in Android 2.2 which didn't get fixed until later versions. Biggest problem is the non-functional H.264 video decoder

but this why the http function has always been disabled (green bar youtube), the rest of stagefright seems to funtion properly and theres no other issue when http is set to false... it just seems a waste of time disabling the rest of the options just because of the quadrant benchmarks :P

Certain elements of stagefright are broken in Android 2.2 which didn't get fixed until later versions. Biggest problem is the non-functional H.264 video decoder which means any application trying to playback video in this format will have green bar corruption across the screen.

Gameloft games need it enabled which is one reason why I'd like to see a small application that will disable/enable stagefright on custom roms along with other parts of the OS.

This sort of visual corruption can be trigged without stagefright enabled by having an incorrect heap size, I have read some people stating they can access youtube with no issues when using a 64mb heap size and stagefright.

The only refrences that I can find about stagefright having a bug in 2.2 are regarding AAC and eAAC HTTP streaming http://techcrunch.com/2010/08/09/android-22-sound-pandora/ and http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=9308

Quadrant uses a lot of media things to guage performance (some local AAC and H.264 decoding) , may I speculate that its approach to benchmarking is broken not stagefright. (except the minor use case that Google has pointed out).

Have we been pointlessly (in most cases) been disabling a performance enhancing feature? (Funkimunks Froyo rom has never had this disabled and I never experienced any problems)

Edited by sawta

Guest NikiHarrop
bah it takes 1 minute to edit the lines if you want stagefright on

it's not hard

Thats not the point though people are not using it because every place on the forums says its broke. Its not broke it may have some bugs just like every other app/firmware.

Guest Frankish

Stagefright was fixed in later versions of android and now we have working RIL could we not have an AOSP build of 2.2.1 where i believe stagefright was fixed anyway?

Guest fonix232

Stagefright IS broken in 2.2.x versions of Android for the Blade.

The H.264 codec is broken, and when Quadrant receives that the opening of that given media was less than a second, it sets it as a real value (but it isn't) that's why you get an incredibly high value.

On 2.3 H.264 codec (and Stagefright) is fixed, usual Quadrant score is around 6-700 (my max was around 780).

Stagefright IS broken in 2.2.x versions of Android for the Blade.

The H.264 codec is broken, and when Quadrant receives that the opening of that given media was less than a second, it sets it as a real value (but it isn't) that's why you get an incredibly high value.

On 2.3 H.264 codec (and Stagefright) is fixed, usual Quadrant score is around 6-700 (my max was around 780).

How do you know stagefright is broken with h264? Prove it

Could that not be due to the broken eAAC + AAC portions of stagefright?

Apparently they produce lower quality results which I assume is due to the codec not operating fully thus faster.

Anyway IF 264 is broken on stagefright somone better tell google

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/li...amp;cells=tiles

The only mentions are the green bar appearing on youtube videos which some people have claimed is due to the heap size (considering an incorrect hep size can distort the camera viewfinder and other videos Im inclined to believe this).

I have used a rom for a while with stagefright fully enabled and a large heap size and I have NEVER had an issue. (Based on softbank, compiled kernel from ZTE-BLADE git repo, stock google apps with beebplayer and the Gingerbread theme, launcher and keyb)

Guest Simon O

A google search would have given you sufficient proof.

It's a problem with the proprietary libOmxH264Dec.so libs we have which is either not being sent the correct parameters or is incompatible with 2.2 and needs updating.

And sawta you really need to sort your attitude out on the forum as right now you're trolling hard.

Guest Phoenix Silver

It's a problem with the proprietary libOmxH264Dec.so libs we have which is either not being sent the correct parameters or is incompatible with 2.2 and needs updating.

And sawta you really need to sort your attitude out on the forum as right now you're trolling hard.

any chance to use libOmxMpeg4Dec.so with libOmxCore.so ?

so we can use libstagefrighthw.so

Erm no im not trolling a claim has been made and im asking for proof, which no one has provided.

Im looking for a google bugtrack issue where it has been noted as an problem not just some anecdotal evidence taken from a hacked rom which is potentially misconfigured (similar corruption in the camera with a misconfigured heap size).

Google have not acknowledged this issue (only the AAC one), if it is in fact an issue we should be good citizens and report it.

I have never had an issue with stagefright and a google search is never sufficient proof for anything (actually most of the stage fright 264 links are this forum).

There is no mention of this being a recognized issues in the Google bug tracker, how does the default softbank handset handle youtube video?

In the google bug tracker a mention of that .so gives the following response from Google "this is not the place to report cyanogen bugs." , not a recognised issue.

Edited by sawta

Guest voradorpt
Erm no im not trolling a claim has been made and im asking for proof, which no one has provided.

Im looking for a google bugtrack issue where it has been noted as an problem not just some anecdotal evidence taken from a hacked rom which is potentially misconfigured (similar corruption in the camera with a misconfigured heap size).

Google have not acknowledged this issue (only the AAC one), if it is in fact an issue we should be good citizens and report it.

I have never had an issue with stagefright and a google search is never sufficient proof for anything (actually most of the stage fright 264 links are this forum).

There is no mention of this being a recognized issues in the Google bug tracker, how does the default softbank handset handle youtube video?

In the google bug tracker a mention of that .so gives the following response from Google "this is not the place to report cyanogen bugs." , not a recognised issue.

And what do you expect to achieve with this discussion? You're the first person that claims having no problems with it.

Stagefright does not work correctly with (afaik) any ROM for the blade. Even ZTE disabled it in the official 2.2 ROMs.

If you still want proof and say it isn't broken, ok. No hard feelings. Enable it. If it works, good. You're special. And if it doesn't it's probably your fault. Because as you say, it's not broken.

As for your VM Heap Size config, do as you want. Usually the sizes that give problems are the ones over 32MB but apparently for you it works great. Great!

Now prove stagefright works correctly for you. You're the one that have no problems, contrary to most people. You're the one that should (for the sake of mankind) try to change our misguided minds.

Edited by voradorpt

Point is most people find no improvements but do find a problem with it turned on, hardly a compelling case for using it. Infact for most the only way you'd know if it was turned on or not would be a 900+ quadrant score and a green bar on vids.

Edited by Mike_P

Guest fonix232

Could that not be due to the broken eAAC + AAC portions of stagefright?

Apparently they produce lower quality results which I assume is due to the codec not operating fully thus faster.

Anyway IF 264 is broken on stagefright somone better tell google

http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/li...amp;cells=tiles

The only mentions are the green bar appearing on youtube videos which some people have claimed is due to the heap size (considering an incorrect hep size can distort the camera viewfinder and other videos Im inclined to believe this).

I have used a rom for a while with stagefright fully enabled and a large heap size and I have NEVER had an issue. (Based on softbank, compiled kernel from ZTE-BLADE git repo, stock google apps with beebplayer and the Gingerbread theme, launcher and keyb)

Can not be proven, as the Android system is smart enough, knows that there are two codecs, and if one's broken, it uses the other.

Stagefright is broken on MSM7x27 series CPUs, and even if there's no Google Code report (afaik, the official Google repo does not support MSM7x27 out-of-the-box and was never planned to do so), it is simply BROKEN. Accept it.

Also why tell google when they've already fixed it?

Also, you may prove yourself it is broken - try to play any HQ youtube video (what is streamed in MP4 container using H.264 encoder and AAC sound), it will fail to play the video (and no, it isn't a problem with the CPU not being capable of playing HQ, it is simply the failing Stagefright player).

You, sir, are heavily trolling. Accept what competent people say, the people who discovered the bug. They know what they are talking about, and believe me if they were wrong they would accept it. But, so far only you are the exception of this bug, and as you haven't wrote your ROM and phone version, we don't even know how you achieved it. So take back, and try to be more polite.

Can not be proven, as the Android system is smart enough, knows that there are two codecs, and if one's broken, it uses the other.

Stagefright is broken on MSM7x27 series CPUs, and even if there's no Google Code report (afaik, the official Google repo does not support MSM7x27 out-of-the-box and was never planned to do so), it is simply BROKEN. Accept it.

Also why tell google when they've already fixed it?

Also, you may prove yourself it is broken - try to play any HQ youtube video (what is streamed in MP4 container using H.264 encoder and AAC sound), it will fail to play the video (and no, it isn't a problem with the CPU not being capable of playing HQ, it is simply the failing Stagefright player).

There was never any accepted google bug report representing this issue, from what I can gather modding communities are the only group of people who experience this issue until they fix their approach/configuration.

I can play HQ youtube video perfectly with stagefright (and a nice 900+ incorrectly measured quadrant score). Im using a ROM a friend doing a Masters in Computer Science made that is based on the Japanese release but stripped down to core gapps and the MoDaCo based github Kernel.

You, sir, are heavily trolling. Accept what competent people say, the people who discovered the bug. They know what they are talking about, and believe me if they were wrong they would accept it. But, so far only you are the exception of this bug, and as you haven't wrote your ROM and phone version, we don't even know how you achieved it. So take back, and try to be more polite.

No one has written their own fully working ROM they are fiddling with prebuilt ZTE roms.

Im not trolling i'm asking for proof and so far all im gettting is a childish "because we say so" as a response!

This is like asking a group of people who think the moon is made of cheese to prove it.

This is not a question of being impolite im just asking for proof, stagefright is a good improvement to the media handling capabilities of android (except the one AAC bug) and it seems the ROM builders are shooting themselves in the foot by removing it.

Im sorry but I take no mans word without proof (modding communities are the only people who experience issues hence are the exception that needs to prove it not their approach).

Guest targetbsp
This is like asking a group of people who think the moon is made of cheese to prove it.

But your approach to dealing with a group of people who believe the moon is made of cheese is to simply walk up to them and say 'you're all wrong - prove its made of cheese'? When going against popular opinion - surely you have to be the one providing an argument? If you think it speeds up decoding h.264 then provide some benchmark figures to back that up. Obviously not from Quadrant as its issue with stagefright is well known but is there a media player out there that can show frame rates maybe?

Personally, I neither care about benchmark scores nor video playback so it doesn't much affect me. My last rom had it disabled by default, my current one has it enabled by default. I didn't, and don't plan to, change either.

It's not just the people here that think it has issues. Check out the Moto CyanogenMod changelog for the date 06.10.2010 (found in a quick google search): http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=784750

Stagefright disabled as it causes audio playback issues. Claims that it is actually harder on the cpu when decoding h.264 than opencore. Quadrant developer acknowledges faulty scores with it enabled.

And then the next version, based on 2.2.1 where it's widely regarded to be fixed, it's enabled again.

Edited by targetbsp

Guest PeteBest

Doesn't look like trolling to me, if the people that had fully checked into stagefright already gave sufficient technical details then sawta wouldn't have gone with the "prove it" type response.

But your approach to dealing with a group of people who believe the moon is made of cheese is to simply walk up to them and say 'you're all wrong - prove its made of cheese'? When going against popular opinion - surely you have to be the one providing an argument? If you think it speeds up decoding h.264 then provide some benchmark figures to back that up. Obviously not from Quadrant as its issue with stagefright is well known but is there a media player out there that can show frame rates maybe?

Personally, I neither care about benchmark scores nor video playback so it doesn't much affect me. My last rom had it disabled by default, my current one has it enabled by default. I didn't, and don't plan to, change either.

Erm actually no stagefright working for h264 in a correctly configured ROM is not opinion, its fact just as 1+ 1 = 2 is fact. the popular opinion here appears to be the equivalent of 1 + 1 = monkey.

Stagefright having occasional issues with AAC and eACC quality from streamed media is also fact, but non relevant to any of the discussion here.

I dont believe it speeds up h264 decoding ,the fact is that stagefright makes it more flexible for a given HW configuration (check the google docs: fact).

You try to help people who are shooting themselves in the foot to point the gun away and they point it at you instead. No wonder funkimunk doesnt want his ROM on this place.

Doesn't look like trolling to me, if the people that had fully checked into stagefright already gave sufficient technical details then sawta wouldn't have gone with the "prove it" type response.

Thank you PeteBest, at least someone here has sense.

Guest Simon O

Saying "prove it" does nothing to help the issue and just winds people up. If anybody wants stagefright enabled then a 2 second build.prop edit will sort it out. It was disabled for a reason in the original roms.

Anyway there is way too much arguing here over a feature that can be simply enabled by the user if they want to.

sawta: Since you seem to know a lot about this, could you possibly provide a solution to this. You mention a correctly configured rom resolves the problem, how?

Guest targetbsp
I dont believe it speeds up h264 decoding ,the fact is that stagefright makes it more flexible for a given HW configuration (check the google docs: fact).

OK, but the only advantage you gave for stagefright in your first post was that you thought it did speed up h246? I was only responding to that:) What specific advantages does it give you otherwise? Cause I linked some disadvantages in my post that you may have missed as you replied before I had completed the edit. :P

I know it fixes some gameloft game intro's but should you not have any of their games, are there any advantages for the average person enabling it to counter the bugs it has?

Edited by targetbsp

sawta: Since you seem to know a lot about this, could you possibly provide a solution to this. You mention a correctly configured rom resolves the problem, how?

Ill ask Funkimunk what he did when I see him in the computer lab next week (possibly tomorrow if im in early enough) but I must warn he really doesn't like this place (something to do with "disingenuous donation scams" and "instantly getting your work published to some SEO savvy tw*ts 3rd party page") I think he doesn't even like putting stuff on XDA ('to get ripped off by credit grabbing......').