Menu Key not working after r0.3 installation

Guest jingomod

Guest jingomod

Well I've successfully updated my OLED San Francisco to r0.3 and it's great - so much better than 2.1 - except for the fact that I can't do that much because the menu key just doesn't work. Everything else seems fine - just the menu key. Any clues, anyone?

Well I've successfully updated my OLED San Francisco to r0.3 and it's great - so much better than 2.1 - except for the fact that I can't do that much because the menu key just doesn't work. Everything else seems fine - just the menu key. Any clues, anyone?

de-softened 0.3 is a bit dated now. You should look at FLB Froyo r8a-Really Stable and 2.2

MCR R12 Froyo (Pinned topic)

There proberly the best around right now.

r0.3 is dated 31 Dec whereas FLB 6th Feb and 9th Feb for R12

Welcome to the MoDaDo Community :D

Guest jingomod
de-softened 0.3 is a bit dated now. You should look at FLB Froyo r8a-Really Stable and 2.2

MCR R12 Froyo (Pinned topic)

There proberly the best around right now.

r0.3 is dated 31 Dec whereas FLB 6th Feb and 9th Feb for R12

Welcome to the MoDaDo Community :D

Thanks - I may do that, but any clues on the menu key problem for the moment until I have been able to check into these two other releases?

Thanks - I may do that, but any clues on the menu key problem for the moment until I have been able to check into these two other releases?

Sorry to of kept you waiting, it could be a problem that the keyout has not been added to the rom properly. I'm guessing you already went ahead and used a different rom :D

Guest jingomod
Sorry to of kept you waiting, it could be a problem that the keyout has not been added to the rom properly. I'm guessing you already went ahead and used a different rom :D

No, I think I'll go back to my iPhone - less messing around! There's too much uncertainty - I looked into which ROM to use and all the info I had said that the one I used was a good stable build, now you're offering me two alternatives. I just don't have the time, quite honestly, to faff around checking out different ROMs at great length to see what the pros and cons of them are - I just want a decent device that works so that I can get on with my real job - and the iPhone fits that bill very well!

But thanks very much for your comments!

No, I think I'll go back to my iPhone - less messing around! There's too much uncertainty - I looked into which ROM to use and all the info I had said that the one I used was a good stable build, now you're offering me two alternatives. I just don't have the time, quite honestly, to faff around checking out different ROMs at great length to see what the pros and cons of them are - I just want a decent device that works so that I can get on with my real job - and the iPhone fits that bill very well!

:D

Guest Rotmann

Agree that the iPhone OOB is much better than ANY android device. But it's also very expensive and if you allocate 1-2 hours you can make android devices much more satisfying than the closed, simplistic, minimalistic iOS. Install FLB Froyo (wipe before) and you won't have problems. Also I have had the de-softened r03 and no one had problems with the menu button, are you sure you wiped everything (cache, user data, dalvik) and that the build has the proper MD5? Something went wrong, either you did not follow to 100% the steps or the downloaded file is corrupted.

Guest jingomod
Agree that the iPhone OOB is much better than ANY android device. But it's also very expensive and if you allocate 1-2 hours you can make android devices much more satisfying than the closed, simplistic, minimalistic iOS.

I don't think your characterisation of iOS as "closed, simplistic, minimalistic" is in any way supportable. You might want that to be the case, but it just doesn't stack up that way, I'm afraid. If it were any of the things you describe it as then by definition it would not have been possible to develop the >300,000 apps for it, and those apps would not have been able to cover the spectrum as they do. Obviously nothing is perfect, and everything is to some degree a compromise, but when comparing iOS to Android my experience has been that iOS is more complete, more elegant and much more stable.

But it certainly is more expensive. However if I compare the time I've spent on trying to get Android to work well to the time I've spent similarly on iOS there is just no comparison. And at any sensible valuation of my time that has by far out-weighed the cost advantage of even the San Francisco at only £99.

I'm sure that Android will continue to get better (and it's certainly much better already than any BlackBerry or Nokia phone); judged on the improvement between eclair and froyo it will fairly quickly become much nicer to use. But then again Apple don't stand still either, and my assessment of their position with iOS is that it's about a year ahead of Android at the moment.

Possibly if you're the type of person who lives to fiddle with things then Android might have something to offer - but for the majority of people who primarily want something that just works, at the moment iOS is a better product than Android. Sorry, but that's just the way it is.

Install FLB Froyo (wipe before) and you won't have problems. Also I have had the de-softened r03 and no one had problems with the menu button, are you sure you wiped everything (cache, user data, dalvik) and that the build has the proper MD5? Something went wrong, either you did not follow to 100% the steps or the downloaded file is corrupted.

I followed the instructions on this page Upgrade your Orange San Francisco to Froyo which didn't mention anything about dalvik - maybe that's where the problem lies? I cannot believe that either of the downloaded files is corrupted because it all seems to work OK apart from this one problem. Plus the MD5 was fine (although all that does is guarantee that the MD5 was generated from a file that is the same as the one I downloaded). I will put some more time into researching the dalvik issue and see if there's a way to clear this data(?) after having updated the ROM.

Edited by jingomod

I agree with jingomod. iOS doesn't need any messing out or a tweak here or remove this here. Theres always something wrong with android that needs fixing, but as Apple is a big company and has many testers and devs, its no suprise.

Guest Rotmann

@Jekle, that's what I said too, iPhone OOB is much better than android.

@jingomod, I repeat, iOS is simplistic, closed and minimalistic. When I switch on the phone I have a beautiful watch, actual, maximum and minimum temperature of the day, a beautiful icon showing me the weather, a text telling me how it is outside, my location (Fancy Widget Pro). Under it I have my translucent GenieWidget with the latest news changing a few seconds. Under it I have my translucent Widgetsoid which controls everything on my system. Under it there are my main app icons on the dock which is scrollable (3x). I have all the infos and settings I need on one page, no opening apps, no going into settings. Don't like my lock screen? I can change that. Don't like the keyboard? Same. You can even make your own widgets with apps from the market for the customizing freaks out there.

Now tell me how the 300.000 apps will help me do that and if you do, I'll say that iOS is not closed, simplistic and minimalistic. You have no point. Sure it is more polished, the apps and games are better designed, but I did not deny that.