Should i change

Guest chenz116

Guest chenz116

Hey i got a san fran at the weekend

my question is should i change to 2.2 ?

im not very techy but im not completely lost around this sort of thing either.

are there many benifits for the hassle of changing it ??

Guest DrEzkimo

if you are happy enough then why change.

2.2 is unofficial so is a user compiled rom. Of course you should always backup the entire phone image (nandroid) so even if you did change and didn't like it, you could easily go back to exactly how the phone was.

if your not very techy then expect quite a learning curve although plenty will help you out on here if you do chose :D

I would guess most of us upgrade for the fun as most 2.2 roms have the odd issue or two, unless you knew of a specific issue 2.2 resolved or feature it added.

Guest Pelemane

You should change to 2.3 cause its f**king awesome! There is lots of bugs but still its the best!

I'm talking about official CM7.

Guest rayraven

2.2 is miles better than 2.1

JIT alone makes it worth the upgrade, for those who dont know, JIT is basically the engine which converts Android code to native code before they run, so they run faster.

And yeah 2.3 should be even better, once a stable version is out.

Guest m_w_clarke

From my personal experience; absolutley! I waited a bit to jump from the Modaco 2.1 ROM to the Flib 2.2 ROM, just because 2.1 was working great and I had no issues at all.

After moving to 2.2 I can see how slow 2.1 was in comparison (even though it didnt feel it at the time!)

Ive also trebled my battery life! I used to get about a day of battery with 2.1 (my usage is low to medium, 20+ texts, 1 or 2 calls 3G+ surfing, Wifi). I now get about 3-4 days with Flibs ROM. :D

Guest aequalszero

It's worth it - I got about a week out of the stock 2.1 ROM before upgrading to 2.2 (FLB Froyo-G2 r8a).

Do a bit of reading on the forum first if you're unsure - and make sure you go over the guide a few times (and watch the YouTube video in the first post). If you use the Recovery Manager method (parts 1 & 2) then it's a piece of cake.

Good luck!

Guest metal.mickey

There's some good guides on the http://www.orangesanfrancisco.co.uk/ website.

Most of the info is from the forums, but all the "chitchat" is removed so its quite direct and very consice. A big thanks to whoever put together the site and all those who offered the info in the forums here.

Japanese Jellyfish is superfast, but id atleast stick with 2.1 so you can fully appreciate the benefits of the upgrade.

MM

Guest vermat17

Definitely consider changing to 2.2.

Was unsure about changing as well, but once I did, I was glad I took the plunge.

I would recommend japanese jellyfish 9 just cos there's hardly any bugs and its quite snappy for me.

Make sure you do a backup if you upgrade though, so you can change back if you don't like it.

Guest tabor56

I would definitely recommend installing 2.2, it has a ton of performance improvements over 2.1 and there really is not any problems with the user created roms. I was using JJ9 and was probably one of the best roms ive used.

Fibblesans roms are always good quality too, if anything there are better and more stable than stock roms.

Guest That-Guy

Just to save loads of hassle I would just wait for all the last few kinks to be sorted in CyanogenMod 7 which is Android 2.3.2 I believe and update to that :D

Guest Steveharr
From my personal experience; absolutley! I waited a bit to jump from the Modaco 2.1 ROM to the Flib 2.2 ROM, just because 2.1 was working great and I had no issues at all.

After moving to 2.2 I can see how slow 2.1 was in comparison (even though it didnt feel it at the time!)

Ive also trebled my battery life! I used to get about a day of battery with 2.1 (my usage is low to medium, 20+ texts, 1 or 2 calls 3G+ surfing, Wifi). I now get about 3-4 days with Flibs ROM. :D

I recently changed to "Flib 2.2 Rom R9a" from "Sebastian404's 2.1 de-orangeated-rom - r7"

I have to say I find that 2.2 way slower than the 2.1 ROM I was using before. Scrolling is very jerky and apps seem to be slower than before. I noticed it especially using wigetsoid, VERY slow now. I have the identical setup pretty much on both ROMS. But even before I installed anything on "Flib 2.2 Rom R9a" it was way slower. I tried overclocking it but it didn't really make too much difference.

I'm going to go back to my nandroid backup of 2.1 unless I can make the 2.2 smoother and quicker.

I know there are some features that are improved in 2.2 but if you don't think you are going to use any of those features, stay put! My 2.1 was smooth and fast.

Edited by Steveharr

Guest Rotmann
I recently changed to "Flib 2.2 Rom R9a" from "Sebastian404's 2.1 de-orangeated-rom - r7"

I have to say I find that 2.2 way slower than the 2.1 ROM I was using before. Scrolling is very jerky and apps seem to be slower than before. I noticed it especially using wigetsoid, VERY slow now. I have the identical setup pretty much on both ROMS. But even before I installed anything on "Flib 2.2 Rom R9a" it was way slower. I tried overclocking it but it didn't really make too much difference.

I'm going to go back to my nandroid backup of 2.1 unless I can make the 2.2 smoother and quicker.

I know there are some features that are improved in 2.2 but if you don't think you are going to use any of those features, stay put! My 2.1 was smooth and fast.

Something went definately wrong as i think you are the first one who says that. Did you wipe? But I would not update to 2.2 now but wait a little so that cm7 2.3 gets the issues ironed out, then i would upgrade, i use it now as my main rom, not perfect yet but awesome.

Guest toytown

I upgraded from my stock 2.1 which was perfectly fine to CM7 and found that although browsing/google maps appeared much faster, the apps drawer in adw/launcher pro was considerably slower/jerky and battery life was approx half of what my stock rom gave me.

Coupled with the bugs, i went back to 2.1

Guest The Soup Thief
I upgraded from my stock 2.1 which was perfectly fine to CM7 and found that although browsing/google maps appeared much faster, the apps drawer in adw/launcher pro was considerably slower/jerky and battery life was approx half of what my stock rom gave me.

Coupled with the bugs, i went back to 2.1

Paul's MCR r12 is steady as a rock - great choice for a very stable and quick 2.2. Used to give me 2 days of solid use between charges

CM7 is a shade lumpen right now but is my current ROM of choice - performs a lot better without ADW launcher and with Gingerbread Launcher instead

Sounds fishy that you had such rotten battery life. I find CM7 R2 gives me a day and a bit at present - this will get better as it improves!

Just to save loads of hassle I would just wait for all the last few kinks to be sorted in CyanogenMod 7 which is Android 2.3.2 I believe and update to that :D

CM7 is pretty amazing. Used it the last couple of days, but battery drain is a killer at the moment, even with WiFi turned off.

Would advise anyone on the stock SF ROM to go 2.2 (I'm on flb's now). But I was on the de-oranged 2.1 before, and I haven't noticed a massive difference to be honest (performance and battery life seem about the same to me).

Once CM7 is running smooth and effeciently, I can see everyone heading in that direction.

Edited by jukkie