HOW TOs: Manual Installations

Guest xudsa II USERT

Guest xudsa II USERT

Update-Hi guys, switched to a HTC Desire Z so I can't help much anymore, sorry.

Due to the current state of the forum (no search, messed thread), I am half-blind, and have decided to make a thread about the Manual Installs in ubuntu

Firstly, my hats off to Almar, Sandor and PHJ, for their hard work.

Changelog:

18/4/2011 Revised Instructions for Beta 3, FroYo!

17/4/2011 Revised Instructions, included instructions for ext4 installation in My Storage.

6/3/2011 Topic Opened

You need an Ubuntu distrubution to do this, here

You can use VMWare or Live CD or, if you want, a full installed ubuntu, live cd instructions here

Contents

1. Getting Started

2. Installation of Beta 3 Packages and updates in ubuntu, in My Storage

3. Installations of .sh scripts in ubuntu

4. How to root your phone

5. All in one package for latest Beta 2 build

________________________________________________________________________________

1. Getting Started

First of all, you need the following:

1.A copy of UBUNTU running. (Via VMWAre, LiveCD, or an OS)

2.An Beta or Beta 2 installation file (Obviously!)

3. A patient mind and hand (this will come in handy!:()

Open your Beta/Beta 2 ZIP file, and extract them into your My Storage.

Then follow the steps below.

________________________________________________________________________________

2. Installation of Beta Packages and updates in ubuntu, in My Storage

This is assuming you have booted in Ubuntu, either in VMWare or via LiveCD or as an OS.

This instructions are for Beta 3 only.

(From quato7906, here)

Summarised instructions:

1.Use GParted Partition Manager and format your My Storage or SD card into two partitions, one FAT32 and the other, of your choice (ext2,ext3,ext4). Label them. (In this tutorial, I will use DISK as the FAT32 and DISK1 as the ext partiton.)

2. Copy your installation file (Be it, ext2.tar.gz or O2B2Update.tar.gz or your own, I will use TEST.tar.gz as an example) into your FAT32 partition.

3. Open terminal, and type in "sudo cp /media/DISK/TEST.tar.gz /media/DISK1/". Wait until the "ubuntu@ubuntu" text appears. (Remember, replace DISK, TEST.tar.gz and DISK1, as your own!)

4. Type in "cd /media/DISK". A "cd /media/DISK{:content:}quot; text should appear.

5. Type in "sudo tar xzvf TEST.tar.gz -C /media/DISK"

6. That's it! You should have a working distro. If this is your first time, open "default.txt" and replace the "set CMDLINE" to this "Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 init=/init""

3. Installations of .sh scripts in ubuntu

Again, doable from Ubuntu live cd.

(From llaa51, here)

1. copy out o2b2update.sh to ur home folder in ubuntu

2. open o2b2update.sh and edit the 2nd line to /media/disk/system/lib/hw

3. in terminal type "sh /home/(user)/o2b2update.sh"

4.How to root your phone

Instructions for install of .sh scripts above

(From turnado1975, here)

z4root here

1. Install z4root from the market, or use the All-In-One package

5.All in one package for latest Beta 2 build (Highly unstable, recommended not to use)

Included in this build,

1. Rapid81's 3D/2D Library

2. Gruven's CPU patch

3. JIT patch

4. Keys patch

5. Latest updates, 3/3/11, 3/8/11. 3/9/11, 3/19/11 from PHJ.

6. Root, via z4root.

I am not liable for any damages incurred.

Installation instructions:

1. Install the UPDATE.sh script with the instructions above. (3. Installations of .sh scripts in ubuntu)

2. Install the UPDATE.tar.gz with the instructions above (2. Installation of Beta Packages)

3. Copy zImage file to My Storage

4. Enjoy!

Download removed due to unstable performance. Work In Progress....

Hope you will appreciate my work, first post ever in Modaco!

Cheers,

xudsa_II_USERT

Edited by xudsa II USERT

Guest lemalin
can i create the partition in my storage with a size of more than 1024MB?

Yes, you can but rather do not go above 2 GB. I have made 4GB partition initially but with this setup I was not able to install any apps from market.

Yes, you can but rather do not go above 2 GB. I have made 4GB partition initially but with this setup I was not able to install any apps from market.

I had 6GB and no problems

Guest xudsa II USERT

Sorry for the late reply, away at overseas, i haven't tried up to 8 gb, I am currently using 1GB, but will try later. In theory it should work, because there are android phones with more than 8GB of ROM (Nexus S, 16GB ROM).

Edited by xudsa II USERT

Guest Mr.Lowl
Sorry for the late reply, away at overseas, i haven't tried up to 8 gb, I am currently using 1GB, but will try later. In theory it should work, because there are android phones with more than 8GB of ROM (Nexus S, 16GB ROM).

I tried above 2gb i can't install apps just like u said.

Guest xudsa II USERT

@Vinicius Oliveira

Thats weird, I have used the package 6 times already and it always worked.

1.Did you apply the update from here??

2.Are you using Beta 2? Because the all-in-one package only works with beta 2.

Guest Mr.Lowl
im a little bit of a noob but can you give a more detailed explanation about step 13 please..thnx

just change the mmcblk1p2 on the default.txt to mmcblk0p5

Guest klevis21
just change the mmcblk1p2 on the default.txt to mmcblk0p5

i did that mate but i keep getting : Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. try passing init= option to kernel.

Guest urkopi
i did that mate but i keep getting : Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. try passing init= option to kernel.

You have to see where the partition is mounted, you have to go to Partition Manager and select the extX partition, and normaly the parition is mounted at /dev/sdbX, You have to put the number X here: mmcblk0pX.

Sorry for my bad english, I expect I have help you! :D

Edited by urkopi

Guest urkopi
Due to the current state of the forum (no search, messed thread), I am half-blind, and have decided to make a thread about the Manual Installs in ubuntu

You need an Ubuntu distrubution to do this, here

You can use VMWare or Live CD or, if you want, a full installed ubuntu, live cd instructions here

Contents

1. Installation of Beta Packages and updates in ubuntu, in My Storage

2. Installations of .sh scripts in ubuntu

3.How to root your phone

4.All in one package for latest Beta 2 build

1. Installation of Beta Packages and updates in ubuntu, in My Storage

To install in SD, change step 5 to Storage Card.

You can do this without VMWare, via a live cd, no difference.

(From quato7906, here)

OK,here is what he did:

1.Install VMWare Player

2.Download UBUNTU 32 bit version from here http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

3.Install Ubuntu

4.Download & install MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition

5.Take your phone ,go to Samsung Settings USB settings and set USB Connection to My Storage

6.Back up your My Storage to Storage Card (or you will loose all data there)

7.Connect the phone to the PC-> it will connect like mass storage device

8.Open MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition,select the Storage device Samsung and delete the partition->then click create and create 1020 Mb(in my case of 2 GB Internal Storage) FAT 32 partition(give it a name like disk0 without space),there will be left about 1 GB unallocated storage->select right button,click create partition format EXT2 (or EXT3) with a name like disk and select APPLY!->your My Storage will be formatted!!!you will see only 1 GB Storage device in My Computer in Windows.

(EDIT: You can format in the UBUNTU also with Disk Utility ,but first use Unmount storage.)

9.Copy the entire beta1024 folder content on the root of the storage device in Windows! ,not the folder,the content with Android files: ext2.targz default.txt zImage o2beta folder Haret.exe and o2bupdate.tar.gz

10.Disconnect phone & launch VMWare Player and run UBUNTU.

11.connect the phone, it will be recognized like android storage device.

12.In the Ubuntu go to Applications-Accessories run Terminal,--> write down this:

sudo cp /media/disk0/ext2.tar.gz /media/disk/ and wait untill finishes

after that write:

cd /media/disk/ there will be a line like : cd /media/disk$

you must write down this after this line:

sudo tar xzvf ext2.tar.gz -C /media/disk

(edit: you can also extract all you o2bupdate.tar.gz to system with above methods)

And you go,all the content of ext2.tar.gz will be extracted to disk (in this case Android partition) -> at the end of extraction unplug the phone from PC

13.Turn of the VMWare Plater & Ubuntu, plug the USB with the phone to PC again and edit the line:

Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk1p2 init=/init" to this:

Set CMDLINE "rootdelay=2 root=/dev/mmcblk0p5 init=/init"[/b and save it (EDIT: if you get kernel panic you can try mmcblk0p6 ,or mmcblk0p2 if you have a ext3 partition)

14.Unplug phone -> and run Haret exe from the root of My Storage not from inside o2beta folder

2. Installations of .sh scripts in ubuntu

Again, doable from Ubuntu live cd.

(From llaa51, here)

1. copy out o2b2update.sh to ur home folder in ubuntu

2. open o2b2update.sh and edit the 2nd line to /media/disk/system/lib/hw

3. in terminal type "sh /home/(user)/o2b2update.sh"

3.How to root your phone

Instructions for install of .sh scripts above

(From turnado1975, here)

Download below, modified file by me for manual install

1. Open package, extract o2update.sh.

3. Install with instructions above.

4.All in one package for latest Beta 2 build

Included in this build,

1.stu_2k1's 3d/2d build

2.Gruven's CPU patch

3.JIT patch

4.Keys patch

5.Latest sensor update, you need to copy the zImage into your My Storage and apply o2b2update, instructions above, from here.

Download is below.

Hope you will appreciate my work, first post ever in Modaco!

Cheers,

Mav

Please, could you remove the stu_2k1's 3D/2D drivers and add the lastes updates from beta's page? The stu_2k1 libraries causes the SoDs, please remove it and add the Rapid 81's libraries!

Thans:)

Guest klevis21
You have to see where the partition is mounted, you have to go to Partition Manager and select the extX partition, and normaly the parition is mounted at /dev/sdbX, You have to put the number X here: mmcblk0pX.

thanks mate! i managed to get rid of the kernel panic thing but now instead to get the android loading screen i just get a black screen and if i leave it for some time the phone reboots and this happens every time i try to run android....any help would be appreciated :(

Guest Mr.Lowl

i don't get it.

Guest alen147
Restarting phone

The booting goes to:OK.IPC transfer start and then phone reboot Why?

Nisi stavio 2d3d drajvere. To ti je ono o2b2update, ili nisi stavio tacni naziv, desi se da pise o2bupdate umjesto o2b2update.

-You forgot the 2d3d drivers.

Guest xudsa II USERT

Sorry guys, quite busy lately..

Im not too sure about installing in ext4, but i do know that u need a new zImage.

Will update the package's 3d drivers from feedback.

Edited by xudsa II USERT

Guest alen147

I always get the message EXT2-fs error (device mmcblk0p5): ext2_lookup deleted inode referenced: 124732

and it spins the same comand in loops. please help