Do you use your tab as a tablet or phone ?

Guest spanner44

Guest spanner44

I am just trying to decide whether to get a Tab, not sure if it will be better to wait or try and grab one now, but was wondering as it is only 7", do people use it as a tablet with a seperate sim and still have a seperate phone, or do they use it as an oversized phone ?

I ask because if I go ahead, not sure how it would work for me as I don't want to really have another sim, and swapping sims would do my head in, besides carrying two devices around but not sure if the Tab is impractical to use as a large phone besides a tablet (battery life and size come straight to mind).

Guest jda180
I am just trying to decide whether to get a Tab, not sure if it will be better to wait or try and grab one now, but was wondering as it is only 7", do people use it as a tablet with a seperate sim and still have a seperate phone, or do they use it as an oversized phone ?

I ask because if I go ahead, not sure how it would work for me as I don't want to really have another sim, and swapping sims would do my head in, besides carrying two devices around but not sure if the Tab is impractical to use as a large phone besides a tablet (battery life and size come straight to mind).

Tab, with SIM for data access. You can get a data sim for £5-10 per month.

It's too big to be a cell phone, unless you always used a wireless headset - or want to look like Dom Jolly!

Battery lasts all day in tab use when I'm out and about, recharge overnight - just like my blackberry.

Guest clockwork_LS

both i suppose...

but rarely need to call so not a big issue,

when out and about always have headset with me,

or if i feel i need to break the tension/ice breaker,

call without headset,

when i do the girls swoon. :(

Guest gillebob

Yeah i use it for phone calls but if I'm honest it really is too big to be practical, I find that I tend to leave it behind when I run to the shop and definately can't bring it to the pub. And of course you have to wear something with big pockets which means always having a jacket on. For work though it stays pocketed connected to the bluetooth h/set, but I'm also thinking of getting a "normal" phone for social use. Not sure its the answer but couldn't give up tabbing :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I had planned on the tab replacing my personal phone (as it is only really used for texting) and voice calls divert to my work phone. However, Optus can't seem to connect two services on the one sim card... Still don't understand that...

Why can't they just attach the 10Gig allowance to your existing mobile plan?

Guest JohnMcL7

It seems pretty hardcore to use the Tab as a phone! I have a second sim for data which I use in the Tab and keep the N900 as my phone, I can't see any practical way to carry the Tab around as it's too big for a pocket.

John

Guest lohasc

I use it as a backup phone only, buy since I just bought it. I carry it around when every is practical. My day to day phone is iphone4. IF NO WIFI is available I use the ios4.3 personal hotspot to give it a data connection. So no sim for my SGT.

Guest tinyk

I've only had my tab for a couple days and having a business account with orange i can get single number (second sim. With same number) so have the choice of using it or not and still only giving out my main number,but i always keep my iphone with me.So

I certainly carry it a lot more than i ever did my ipad but i don't think i could get used to only carrying the one device and using it for everything. I guess sat at my desk with a headset on it makes no real difference but no way would i consider using it without the headset lol.

• 1 month later...
Guest seanchk

Wow I can't believe so many of you don't use your Tab as your phone.

I use mine as my only phone, I used to use a jabra bluetooth headset but now just use the wired headphones that came with my Tab.

It fits nicely into the front left pocket of my jeans and I drape the headset around my neck ready for when I get a call. I can sit down with it in my pocket although I tend to take it out and put it on the bar (when in the pub).

Initially people in the pub would grab it and hold it to their heads whilst doing a Dom Jolly impression, now they are used to the fact I have a big phone (and I am the first person they come to when they want something checking online, even if they have a smartphone themselves).

Most people don't believe I use my Tab as my only phone, or that it fits into the front pocket of my jeans, but it does.... Just regular jeans from H&M, Slim Cut, Waist 33" (I'm not some large bloke wearing cargo pants with huge pockets)

Sean

p.s For data I am on an unlimited GPRS/Edge package, whilst not as quick as 3G its more than adequate for gmail, market downloads and updates and even surfing, plus I can switch to wifi when there is a hotspot.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest swisstourist

u look so nerd with these tablets.

what s wrong with you. get a girlfriend instead!

new technology i would wait another year.

Guest Stephen J. Knill

With a good Bluetooth headset Tabs can be used quite effectively as a phone... nice large buttons for those stocky fingered and short sighted folks (I don't have a SGT, but I have the ZTE v9 which is very similar).

Just make sure you get a headset that can last as long as you will need it to... should it go flat, you may end up looking a bit nerf standing there with this brick like thing next to ya face :P

Personally, I don't use my Tab as a phone (I own a LG GT540 also, which is an Android Phone)... it's just too awkward to carry it around in my pocket. (It fits... just, problem is I need a belt if it's in my pocket. Damn thing's so heavy it slowly dacks me lol)

Guest Robert Sydbrink

I only have the tab. Have it with me all the time in my pants sidepocket. Have a bt headset on me all the time, se mw600 i think it is with caller id, radio etc.

Been using my tab over a halfyear now as my only device and it have worked great. Im a bigger dude so my pant pockets are quite big so it makes it easier for me to have the tab in there all the time. And its so sweet to have it on you when you need to do something on the internet. Check info, wire some money, chat with friends or check out some video clips. Its so much easier and better on the big tab then the phone imo.

And battery time is great. I can get through atleast 2 days realy heavy use, but i usually charge it every night.

Edited by Robert Sydbrink

• 1 year later...
Guest mrrog

I am dying to ditch my netbook and phone and just have one device, holding a brick to my ear is no problem, my only concern would be carrying it around with me when I'm out biking or canoeing, must have GPS tracks (endomondo).

So what are the specs a tab must have to use as a phone, i.e. 3G, GPRS, GSM, etc, they're all just in initials to me?