Alternative to modding the Vega

Guest Soulcalibur76

Guest Soulcalibur76

I have the Vega for 2 days now and i'm loving it so far. i have yet to modify the device as 1. i was working the past 2 days and 2. still reading up on the terms and on ways how to mod the device.

I have just one question.

without modifying / installing a ROM is there another way or an alternative to boost the performance of the device (i.e. get more juice out of the processor) even for a little? an app or apk perhaps?

Thanks.

Guest warriorscot

Even with the mod if you are on the latest firmware there won't be a performance boost. It might appear to run a little smoother with the custom rom but mostly it just adds new features at this stage. No single apk is going to do it short of the an overclocking app but as far as I know setCPU doesn't work on the vega but it shouldn't be that hard to get it to work since its compatible with the XOOM.

Guest Soulcalibur76
Even with the mod if you are on the latest firmware there won't be a performance boost. It might appear to run a little smoother with the custom rom but mostly it just adds new features at this stage. No single apk is going to do it short of the an overclocking app but as far as I know setCPU doesn't work on the vega but it shouldn't be that hard to get it to work since its compatible with the XOOM.

I'm not looking for an "overclocking" app. just a slight "boost" (if you like) or an app to "free up" the RAM so it won't "clog" up the lines on the device.

just a slight CPU/ROM/performance boost. that's all..

any sugestions please....?

Edited by Soulcalibur76

Guest simonta

AFAIK, there is no overclock for Tegra 2 yet. For RAM, learn to trust Android.

I used to use a task killer and regularly closed apps manually. Also couldn't understand why there is no "close button". But as I learned about Android, I realised that it does a very good job of taking care of RAM. Now I develop Android apps and know how it works, it really doesn't need a task killer or "RAM cleaner". In fact, after a while, Android will run more smoothly if you just let it do it's thing. After all, it's built entirely for the small RAM, constrained power, low speed CPU world of mobile.

Cheers

Guest Soulcalibur76
AFAIK, there is no overclock for Tegra 2 yet. For RAM, learn to trust Android.

I used to use a task killer and regularly closed apps manually. Also couldn't understand why there is no "close button". But as I learned about Android, I realised that it does a very good job of taking care of RAM. Now I develop Android apps and know how it works, it really doesn't need a task killer or "RAM cleaner". In fact, after a while, Android will run more smoothly if you just let it do it's thing. After all, it's built entirely for the small RAM, constrained power, low speed CPU world of mobile.

Cheers

so, would you recommend NOT modding the device and let Android do its job?

if there is any app to slightly boost or "help" the CPU or RAM what would it be?

Guest simonta

I recommend the mod, but not for CPU/RAM purposes. I don't know of any app that actually helps apart from the overclockers.

When you say "slight boost", are you trying to solve a problem or just tinkering?

Guest Soulcalibur76
I recommend the mod, but not for CPU/RAM purposes. I don't know of any app that actually helps apart from the overclockers.

When you say "slight boost", are you trying to solve a problem or just tinkering?

I have this belief or presumption that devices such as smartphones and tablets are somehow underclocked when taken out-of-the-box and that firmware updates are just meant to "update"..add new features, compatibilities and "free up" (or boost) the CPU a little bit. i could be wrong.

i have seen some CPU or RAM boost apps online but i dunno if they actually work or if compatible with the Vega.

i have heard that modding the device doesn't necesarilly improve the performance "per se" but just add some features. again, i could be wrong.

that is why i'm just gauging which is best and most practical.

i have reiterated my "shyness" and anxiousness in modding my device because of the reasons i've raised here.

so, for me it's a matter of..."To mod or not to mod".

Guest JustaBloke
I have this belief or presumption that devices such as smartphones and tablets are somehow underclocked when taken out-of-the-box and that firmware updates are just meant to "update"..add new features, compatibilities and "free up" (or boost) the CPU a little bit. i could be wrong.

i have seen some CPU or RAM boost apps online but i dunno if they actually work or if compatible with the Vega.

i have heard that modding the device doesn't necesarilly improve the performance "per se" but just add some features. again, i could be wrong.

that is why i'm just gauging which is best and most practical.

i have reiterated my "shyness" and anxiousness in modding my device because of the reasons i've raised here.

so, for me it's a matter of..."To mod or not to mod".

Mod. You've got a pale imitation of the device you could have, if you don't... And although you feel hesitant, you'll learn quickly, and feel you've achieved something once you've done it. Remember, you can always return to where you are, so there's absolutely nothing to lose, and masses to gain.

Edited by JustaBloke

Guest Soulcalibur76
Mod. You've got a pale imitation of the device you could have, if you don't... And although you feel hesitant, you'll learn quickly, and feel you've achieved something once you've done it. Remember, you can always return to where you are, so there's absolutely nothing to lose, and masses to gain.

I was trying to install the latest R8 ROM uisng the intructions on the website but i seem to be having difficulties.

I am in the part where i was able to download the ZIP file and unzipped it successfully on my PC. but i can't seem to move forward after that.

Please help!!!!!!

Guest simonta
I was trying to install the latest R8 ROM uisng the intructions on the website but i seem to be having difficulties.

I am in the part where i was able to download the ZIP file and unzipped it successfully on my PC. but i can't seem to move forward after that.

Please help!!!!!!

So you are following the instructions. Which step are you stuck on?

Guest Soulcalibur76
So you are following the instructions. Which step are you stuck on?

I have just unzipped the R8 ROM on my PC and i'm in the part where/before/around the part where i need to plug in my device to the PC.

do i need to change some settings on the Device manager?

i have put my device to On for debugging.

so, am i missing somthing? i'm not using this Clockwork Mod recovery thingy.

HELP PLSSSSS!!!!!!

Edited by Soulcalibur76

Guest simonta
Oopss...sorry. didn't mean to shout.

I'm using Windows 7 Professional.

OK, you've got USB debugging turned on. Follow these steps. If a step doesn't work, come straight back..

1. Make sure you know where you unzipped mcr

2. Inside the unzipped mcr files, go to the usbdriver folder and unzip r1-tegrausbdrivers-modaco.zip.

3. Open device manager

4. Plug in the Vega with the USB cable

5. Watch for a new device appearing in device manager

6. Right click this device and uninstall it. Do NOT select update driver.

7. In device manager, right click your computer at the top of the tree and select add legacy hardware.

8. Click next

9. Select install manually

10. Click next

11. Ensure that all devices is selected

12. Click next

13. Click have disk

14. Click browse and browse to android_winusb.inf that you unzipped in step 2

15. Click OK

16. Click next

17. Click next

18. If you get a warning, select install anyway

19. Complete the wizard

20. In device manager, confirm that you have a new class called "Android Phone" and within that, "Android Composite USB Interface".

21. If you do, run install-windows.bat in the mcr unzip

22. If not, come back for help

Good luck.

Please report back if it worked.

Edited by simonta

Guest Soulcalibur76

Hi i've manage to complete the installation until Step # 20. On the device manager there is a thing that says "Android ADB Interface" under Android Phone.

but, i noticed there is an exclamation point at the side and when i clicked Properties it says "This device cannot start".

please advice further.

Guest simonta

Right click the device you added and select uninstall Select delete drivers then click OK.

Reboot the Vega (use power off then restart).

Repeat from step 7

If it still doesn't work, right click the new device, select properties then details. Do you have this in hardware IDs?

USB\VID_0955&PID_7100&REV_9999

Guest Soulcalibur76
Right click the device you added and select uninstall Select delete drivers then click OK.

Reboot the Vega (use power off then restart).

Repeat from step 7

If it still doesn't work, right click the new device, select properties then details. Do you have this in hardware IDs?

USB\VID_0955&PID_7100&REV_9999

I did steps 7 onwards and still the exclamation mark is still there.

And when i clicked the Hardware ID it only says xxxxxx7000 and not 7100&REV_9999.

what could be wrong? am i missing something?

Guest simonta
I did steps 7 onwards and still the exclamation mark is still there.

And when i clicked the Hardware ID it only says xxxxxx7000 and not 7100&REV_9999.

what could be wrong? am i missing something?

Please uninstall it again and also select delete drivers. Right click the computer and select scan for hardware changes, what device appears? Screen shot if poss please.

Guest Soulcalibur76
Please uninstall it again and also select delete drivers. Right click the computer and select scan for hardware changes, what device appears? Screen shot if poss please.

I don't know how to take a photo im afraid.

Ill do what you say and redo the whole thing and ill def get back to you later.

Guest Soulcalibur76
I don't know how to take a photo im afraid.

Ill do what you say and redo the whole thing and ill def get back to you later.

Before i redo the whole thing what do i need to check and do for now please?

Guest simonta
Before i redo the whole thing what do i need to check and do for now please?

Nothing to do. The only thing you need to sort is getting that USB driver installed. Once that's done, the rest is really straightforward.

Guest Soulcalibur76
Nothing to do. The only thing you need to sort is getting that USB driver installed. Once that's done, the rest is really straightforward.

I'd like to ask re: Step # 5-6. normally where do i go or look for the new device in the Device manager? and you said i need to delete it?

and re: Step # 11 what device name should i choose before clicking Have Disk?

it seems to me that the R8 ROM isn't doing it for me. there is always an exclamation point beside the added Android device.

and it always says the device is not digitally signed.

this is all getting complicated for me....

Edited by Soulcalibur76

Guest simonta
I'd like to ask re: Step # 5-6. normally where do i go or look for the new device in the Device manager? and you said i need to delete it?

and re: Step # 11 what device name should i choose before clicking Have Disk?

it seems to me that the R8 ROM isn't doing it for me. there is always an exclamation point beside the added Android device.

and it always says the device is not digitally signed.

this is all getting complicated for me....

Step 5-6 The new device will appear in Universal Serial Bus Controllers

Step 11 As it says, All Devices

Re not signed, see step 18. Just choose install anyway

Why is it getting complicated? It's just a sequence of steps to follow but do read carefully, e.g. step 11 clearly says: ensure that all devices is selected. You are one of hundreds who have been here before. It will work eventually, just need to get past the driver install.

Good luck

Guest Soulcalibur76
Step 5-6 The new device will appear in Universal Serial Bus Controllers

Step 11 As it says, All Devices

Re not signed, see step 18. Just choose install anyway

Why is it getting complicated? It's just a sequence of steps to follow but do read carefully, e.g. step 11 clearly says: ensure that all devices is selected. You are one of hundreds who have been here before. It will work eventually, just need to get past the driver install.

Good luck

I know its not that complicated and i did folllowed every step of what you told me. when you said that "all devices is selected" before clicking Have Disk i am not able to choose all devices but the Show all devices is highlighted. is this what you mean?

do i ignore the exclamation point thing?

i have done it 3 times last night and still the same problem: exclamation point, not digitally signed.

also, i did clicked the "Install_windows" after and the black screen appeared but it does nothing. just a cursor blinking. do i need to wait for a while?

you think the ROM is corrupted basing on the "problems" i'm experiencing? i'm installing the R8 one. unless there is an updated or "signed" ROM elsewhere.

Thanks. :-)

Guest simonta

Hi, no, the problem is not with the ROM.

All devices selected - as you say.

When you install the driver, are you certain that you do not get a warning that the driver is not signed, or, that you do get the warning and you select "continue anyway"? This is where it's going wrong for you I think.

Here's what I am expecting you to see.

http://filedb.experts-exchange.com/incomin...gForUnsigne.png

You can't ignore the exclamation mark, it's the root of, and the only problem you're having. Once it's gone, install-windows.bat will work. Conversely, it's pointless trying to run install-windows.bat when the exclamation mark is there - it's not going to work.

Einstein said that the very definition of madness is to continue to do the same thing and expect a different result.

So let's try a different approach.

Start by uninstalling the non-working device.

Are you able to identify the device which appears when you plug in the Vega? You should see it pop into view, if not, you can right click each device (it will be in Universal Serial Bus controllers). select properties then details. Select hardware IDs. The device you are looking for will have an ID which begins with this:

USB\VID_0955&PID_7100

VID_0955 is the Vendor ID for Advent

PID_7100 is the Product ID for the Vega (specifically, the ADB device built into the Vega - the one that gets enabled when you select USB debugging).

If you cannot find this device, you have either not selected USB debugging or there is a hardware problem with the Vega, cable or PC.

If you can find this device, then right click it and this time select "update drivers". Then continue to install the driver included with the mcr as you have been doing. More or less proceed from step 9.

Any errors or unexpected things, please do try to take a screen shot. It's easy, just press PrtSc (print screen), then go to Paint and Edit->Paste. From there save the file and embed with you reply...

Cheers