What network are you using on your blade?

Guest gremlinman

Guest aequalszero

No one's hating on Orange - it'll just give an indication where people moved to after buying their SF.

Notably, it's Giffgaff & 3 that are leading the way right now - the two networks with arguably the best 1-month contract and PAYG offers. Looks like we're all after the best deal, rather than the best network.

Guest nicksoph
No one's hating on Orange - it'll just give an indication where people moved to after buying their SF.

i hate Orange - for lots of reasons - I had been with them for more than 20 years before things went wrong when I left the country for two years I informed them that I would be going, so they put me on a special contract so that I might keep my number, 2 years later I returned to find that they had been charging me my original monthly fee plus a fee for keeping my number. They agreed that they had overcharged me but would only give me back the 1200 pounds they had over charged as credit.

2 years on they are still stalling and I have yet to see a penny. (My lawyer on the other hand expects to do very well and has offered to loan me the money until it is settled!.)

Since then I have used T' Mobile (coverage seemed better than Orange and data was MUCH cheaper), 3 (seemed to be a bit flaky on coverage in particular places but fast internet when it worked) and GiffGaff (my first PAYG and by far the cheapest service I have used but we'll see how it pans out after the free internet offer ends).

IMHO Orange charge for a premium service on a par with Vodafone but lack their service levels.

GiffGaffed and happy.

Can I ask - How many people have moved TO Orange as a choice rather than remained with them because the phone came from Orange?

Guest Victor von Zeppelin
Can I ask - How many people have moved TO Orange as a choice rather than remained with them because the phone came from Orange?

I moved to Orange because O2 was much more expensive. This was Jan 2010, however. After 11 months using the worst phone on the worst network I have ever used, I switched to a Tesco sim in the San Francisco. Now that was a good choice. However, 3 has suddenly caught my attention. As there is no 3G signal in any of the places I go (I live on the Isle of Wight, aka the 1950s, go figure), and apparently 3 has some basic 3g coverage, I'm increasingly tempted.

Any good words on 3? Their SIM only plans looks pretty decent compared to Tesco, especially as they give 1gb instead of 500mb (I think)

Got one on Orange contract and one on Virgin.

The Orange contract was up for renewal and I'd heard good things about the SF so I went for it. The legacy Dolphin package it's on doesn't include a data allowance though unfortunately but my other half only uses it when at home over wifi.

I also have an existing contract with Virgin. The contract supplied a Blackberry Curve 8520 but I found it restricted due to the lack of 3G and as I was so impressed with the SF I switched the BB for another SF. The 3G signal is patchy but the package allows 1GB of data so I don't have to worry about usage.

In the long term I intend to get us both on Giffgaff.

Guest remlap

T-Mobile PAYG and paid 20 quid for 6 month 500mb internet.

I am happy with it top up 10 quid a month and I get "Unlimted Texts" and £10 for phone calls is more than enough considering what you can do with with texts and a smart phone :D

When I was getting rid of my 10 quid credit on Orange it had 0 GSM signal here let T-mobile has a pretty solid HSPDA signal here.

Edited by remlap

Guest mrbloggs
3 are brilliant!!

1gb instead of 500mb

Better coverage

3G+!!!

Cheap

Good customer service

and more!!!

3 have now brought all you can eat data to pay as you go. For a 15 quid addon you get 300 minutes, 3000 texts and unlimited data for 30 days (says 80GB when you check your balance)

Guest alwyn

NO beating three when it comes to PayG.

£10 topup = 600 free texts, 300 MB Internet, Unlimited 3 to 3 calls, which is all valid for 3 months.

I have access to Wifi most of the time, so 150 MB is more than enough.

Guest tgomas

They say word of mouth spreads so I thought I would add my two pence:

I avoid Orange like the plague because their customer service is dismal. I've been passed from department to department and almost lost all hope at some times. At one point they owed me a lot of money and I honestly thought I would never see it again, I can imagine lots of people just give up on cash these crooks owe them.

Don't give up, threaten legal action and contact the CEOs office and things start moving.

Guest Sanddancer75

My contract phone with 3 was starting to annoy me & I had been looking at Android phones on various contracts as I was coming to the end of my contract. However, I was facing redundancy & didn't want to tie myself to a long contract & ended up buying the San Francisco & running my contract out with it. I've stayed with 3 & am still paying my old contract price (only £15 a month with unlimited internet access) as it means I can keep my options open while I decide what to do.

Guest rjm2k
stop hating on orange, without them you wouldnt even be able to get this type of phone for this price..

Anyone who is "hating" Orange is doing so for a reason, the sad thing is that Orange will not recognise the issues and deal with them properly. Pinching initial credit followed by appaling disconnected customer services is what stopped my plans to port from T-Mobile to Orange, they had their chance and threw it away.

They have got a great thing in the San Francisco though :-) But I expect that ZTE will be wanting to break free of Orange too.

Guest Phoenix Silver
stop hating on orange, without them you wouldnt even be able to get this type of phone for this price..

not true

4 providers in France sell it (orange, bouygues, sfr, virgin)

Guest aequalszero
i hate Orange - for lots of reasons - I had been with them for more than 20 years before things went wrong... [what follows is a terrible tale of woe]

Okay, so you hate Orange (quite fairly I think). What I meant was that the thread clearly wasn't specifically meant to hate on Orange.

Subsequent posts have not supported this theroy, however.

3 are brilliant!!

Better coverage

This is very subjective, with 3 even more than other networks, I feel. To me, 3 has always been a network that if you can get it (in any amount) then it's pretty rock solid, but stray too far from the safety zone and you're totally screwed. For some, it could easily be the best choice - but it's near impossible to give them a blanket recommendation.

Guest Swimmerboy
This is very subjective, with 3 even more than other networks, I feel. To me, 3 has always been a network that if you can get it (in any amount) then it's pretty rock solid, but stray too far from the safety zone and you're totally screwed. For some, it could easily be the best choice - but it's near impossible to give them a blanket recommendation.

In my experience Three are brilliant in cities, and always have fast 3G speeds. As you say though - if you stray out of the built up areas the signal drops quickly to 2G. For people living and working in town it may be perfect, for others it may not. Horses for Courses and all that.

Edited by Swimmerboy

Guest wolverine73

Im on Virgin - the following deal i get is because i take other Virgin services (broadband tv etc)

3000 texts

3000 minutes to other Virgin phones

1 GB internet

200 other minutes

30 day rolling contract costs me £10.50 - give or take a few pence.

Guest Tainlorn

Ive been with vodafone for an age now, but i'll be switching to Three when my contract is up in October. Im on my 4th smartphone now (TYTN, TYTN2, Touch Pro 2, Bade) and ive just had enough of zero 3G coverage from them. Ive got a Suresignal box at home which is good, but really i can just use wifi, but everywhere else i travel for work gives me nothing useful.

Guest Matty-p

3 but only cos uk has really bad congestion issues on all the networks i find three the least congested and they have the best coverage and do a good deal but would change in a heartbeat for a genuine 3g (towers upgradeable to lte when there are enough phones to tip the critical mass eg the iphone suddenly gets 4g.) only uncongested full uk coverage