ZTE Skate - Confirmed Monte Carlo

Guest Jekle

Guest TouchyAndalou

I propose they call it the Orange Barnsley, and install a feature where the little green android man welcomes you by saying, "Ey up, me duck".

Guest k0zmic
• Processeur Qualcomm MSM7227 Turbo cadencé à 800 Mhz avec GPU Adreno 200??

so does it support flash or not?

Yeah it's meant to support Flash.

Guest deksman2

Well then someone is toying with us.

The hardware itself either supports Flash or it does not.

From official sources, it seems the cpu is merely an overclocked version of current one inside the Blade, and it's stated to include Flash support.

Now either Flash by itself has an ARM cpu restriction so it cannot work below 800Mhz, or our current Blades have been intentionally messed up so they can't support Flash.

To my knowledge, Flash 'should' work on the Blade with current hardware, but for some reason, it's not.

I wouldn't be surprised if the industry intentionally placed restrictions on what the hardware can and cannot do.

Why?

Pure capitalism in order to gauge users to buy new 'models' (which are effectively identical versions of previous generations, only OC-ed and/or contain some minor feature for which they charge a hefty price).

It happened before, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they're doing now.

Guest k0zmic
That processor is ARM11, so flash won't work.

It incorporates the latest evolution of the input processor Qualcomm MSM7227 namely Turbo clocked at 800 Mhz. This allows content including Adobe Flash unlike the previous version clocked at 600 Mhz.

More evidence: http://www.qualcomm.de/node/21801

Edited by k0zmic

Guest gwebb
To my knowledge, Flash 'should' work on the Blade with current hardware, but for some reason, it's not.

Adobe decided to implement Flash on Android with certain requirements, one of them is that the ARM processor uses the ARMv7 instruction set architecture. The MSM7227 and MSM7227 Turbo use the ARMv6 ISA, and so do not meet Adobe's requirements.

These are typical characteristics of ARMv6 and ARMv7 processors.

ARMv6: clock-speeds 400-800 MHz, narrow cores (co-issue fewer instructions), no out-of-order execution, low memory bandwidth, 32 bit ARM SIMD.

ARMv7: clock-speeds 800-1000+ MHz, wider cores, out-of-order execution, higher memory bandwidth, 128 bit wide NEON SIMD.

The combination of the differences between current ARMv6 and ARMv7 processors mean that typically you will see an ARMv7 processor run code twice as fast (or more it you can make effective use of NEON) than an ARMv6 processor. That doesn't mean you can't build a fast ARMv6 or slow ARMv7, but generally companies don't.

Adobe could create a version of Flash for ARMv6 (flash has and does run on all sorts of processors) but it would not perform well on typical ARMv6 processors, so not unreasonably they decided not to support ARMv6, using the ISA as a way demarcating both features and performance required to run Flash well for contemporary Flash using sites.

Guest TheTwiddler

If it's 4.3 inches long, there's enough room to call it

ZTE Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

;)

Guest irishpancake
• Processeur Qualcomm MSM7227 Turbo cadencé à 800 Mhz avec GPU Adreno 200??

so does it support flash or not?

Translated by Google:

It incorporates the latest evolution of the input processor Qualcomm MSM7227 namely Turbo clocked at 800 Mhz. This allows content including Adobe Flash unlike the previous version clocked at 600 Mhz. However, it has a GPU (graphics coprocessor) a little old, namely Adreno 200 when the latest processors simple heart Qualcomm integrates Adreno 205 more efficient.

I don't think that statement is true, it's to do with the Instruction set which ARM V6 lacks, AFAIK.....Adobe do not support ARM V6, no matter what speed.....

They are pulling our respective chains, IMHO.

Guest Just Wondering

i'm keen to know what they are going to call this phone in the U.K ? other than zte skate , i'm torn between the idea of buying a zte skate or a samsung galaxy 2 , i know they are poles apart spec wise , but with this been called a Skate and me been a bit of a cheap Skate , its kinda going to suit my needs.

i have to say i had my hands on a samsung galaxy 2 yesterday.....WOW its amazing.

Guest Atomix86
i'm keen to know what they are going to call this phone in the U.K ? other than zte skate , i'm torn between the idea of buying a zte skate or a samsung galaxy 2 , i know they are poles apart spec wise , but with this been called a Skate and me been a bit of a cheap Skate , its kinda going to suit my needs.

i have to say i had my hands on a samsung galaxy 2 yesterday.....WOW its amazing.

Not sure on the name, but the price of the Skate will likely be around the £150 mark, while the Galaxy S2 hovers around £370-£450 depending on place of purcahse/network lock. The S2 will without a doubt out-perform the Skate, but is it worth £300 more? Unless you absolutely have to have browser based flash and TouchWiz, probably not.

Guest k0zmic
Not sure on the name, but the price of the Skate will likely be around the £150 mark, while the Galaxy S2 hovers around £370-£450 depending on place of purcahse/network lock. The S2 will without a doubt out-perform the Skate, but is it worth £300 more? Unless you absolutely have to have browser based flash and TouchWiz, probably not.

It's a different spectrum of phone. I'd regard it as more of an investment since it seems quite future proof.

The Skate looks like a good mid range phone at almost low end prices.

Guest irishpancake

OK folks this is getting interesting.....

I asked at the forum mentioned in a previous post, the French one:

http://www.mobifrance.com/pdaforum/showthr...541#post1628541

I'm IrishPancake, excuse my French :P

And Lo and Behold....listen to this....

SAN DIEGO – June 01, 2011 – Qualcomm Incorporated (NASDAQ: QCOM), a leading developer and innovator of advanced wireless technologies, products and services, today announced the extension of Adobe® Flash® Player capabilities and full web browsing to the mass market segment of Qualcomm-enabled smartphones. In addition, Qualcomm will enable high-definition (HD) video playback of Flash-based content on mid-tier and higher end Snapdragon™-powered smartphones and tablets.

Qualcomm’s 800MHz MSM7x27™ mobile processor will be the first to enable Flash Player for the mass market segment of smartphones, allowing handset manufacturers to offer richer Web-based multimedia and graphics experiences for casual games, applications, videos and other Flash-based content. Qualcomm has also worked closely with Adobe to enable a tight coupling of hardware and software between Flash Player, Android and Qualcomm’s Snapdragon MSM8x55™ mobile processor to enable seamless and smooth HD quality video for mid-tier and higher end smartphones and tablets.

“Qualcomm and Adobe have developed a lasting relationship driven by both sides’ desire to bring an exceptional Web experience throughout all tiers of smart mobile devices,” said Rob Chandhok, president of Qualcomm Internet Services. “Bringing Flash Player to the mass market segment of smartphones and HD video to higher end smartphones with Qualcomm’s processors will expand the scope of possibilities on a mobile device.”

“Rich content delivered via Flash Player is a key element of a full web experience, and we’re committed to bringing it across as many platforms as possible,” said Danny Winokur, vice president, Flash Runtime for Adobe. “By optimising Flash Player for the range of underlying hardware, Adobe and Qualcomm unlock the best multimedia capabilities of each device, from rich web browsing on the 800MHz MSM7x27 processor to HD video playback on the Snapdragon MSM8x55.”

http://www.qualcomm.co.uk/news/releases/20...iers-qualcomm-e

Now, any implications for the Blade....didn't think so ;)

So, who's ordering the Skate now?

Guest Jekle

It is not an overclocked processor, It is a Turbo Version using the same Chipset but different CPU, The Turbo is the same version in the Samsung Galaxy Ace I know because I've got a SGA

Edited by Jekle

Guest Just Wondering
It is not an overclocked processor, It is a Turbo Version using the same Chipset but different CPU, The Turbo is the same version in the Samsung Galaxy Ace I know because I've got a SGA

do you find the CPU to be fast?